pilatusguy

US Airways Frequent Fliers Wait And Wonder

Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:17 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30819-2004Jan20.html

Would be interested to hear your opinions on this one!

rj777

RE: US Airways Frequent Fliers Wait And Wonder

Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:40 am

I smell another TWA...........

rockyracoon

Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:44 am

I hope my dad doesn't loose his miles. Talk about a kick in the sack. Not nearly as bad as all of the employees will get though.

peace

767-322ETOPS

Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:46 am

IF it is another TWA, then US FF's will be comforted to know their miles will be transferred to another carriers program.

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:54 am

Tonight in his State of the Union speech, President Bush is going to tell America that the economy's getting better, that the unemployment rate is going down, and that more jobs are around the corner. So we shouldn't worry about US Airways, the pickup in the economy will save their business, or if it doesn't, there will be new jobs for all the people who end up out of work as a result of the failure. Right?

USAFHummer

Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:59 am

Im in the same boat here...myself and both my parents have some form of elite status on US and between us we have several hundred thousand miles in our DM accounts...as far as Im concerned its about time to spend those miles ASAP before US goes Chapter 7...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

UNITED777ORD

Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:07 am

President Bush says alot about things getting better but it does not mean that they actually are. Hopefully, USAiways will survive but unfortuantely, they don't have a hub in the state of Texas. If they did then the merger with United would have been approved and USAirways probably would not be in the state that they are in now.

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:20 am

I'm with United777 here, my comment was somewhat cynical. Maybe they can still get a merger approved if it will save some jobs, the competitive issues that the regulators objected to are obviously irrelevant now, we are talking about whether or not we want airline captains flying airplanes or making lattes at Starbucks, and whether or not we want flight attendants attending to flights or flipping burgers, or A&P mechanics installing mufflers at Midas, etc, etc. This of course in addition to the loss of competition in certain markets and the entire loss of airline service to a number of smaller communities like Salisbury/Ocean City. Sure someone will pipe up and say US made alot of mistakes in the past, had a high cost structure, and so on, but with everything else going on in the economy, the failure of another major airline and the resulting increase in unemployed professionals would be a sign that things aren't as great as they are being made out to be. If the only businesses that are allowed to survive in America are the most efficient with the lowest labor costs, there is going to be alot more unemployment and alot less consumer choice.

rthrbeflying86

Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:06 am

I already made an award reservation for this upcoming Thanksgiving on US, mainly because Thanksgiving week is hard to get. I'll be flying SFO-PHL-SFO, with the outbound on US and the inbound on UA. Does anyone know what happens to my reservation in the event US goes Chapter 7? Does United take me both ways? Do i lose the reservation completely?

thanks

Dan
I'd rather be flying.

cha747

Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:07 am

I'd like to see US flying as long as possible but if the airline goes under, I'm not that worried about my FF miles. I transferred nearly 100,000 miles from Pan Am to Delta with no incident and about 20,000 miles from TWA to AA without incident. If US's assets/routes are taken over by a mainstream carrier, I'm sure the loyalties US has built (especially in the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia regions) will be solidifed with a new carrier.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

Greg

Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:09 am

It's a shame.
Our company travel agent put them on our "no-fly" list to limit exposure in case of collapse.
I imagine many agencies are doing the same..which will only hasten their ability to maintain revenue.

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:10 am

Just a random thought, but how about a US Airways, Northwest, and America West 3-way merger...They are all Airbus customers and operate largely in distinct parts of the country that don't overlap.

N766UA

Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:53 am

They are all Airbus customers and operate largely in distinct parts of the country that don't overlap.

That doesn't mean it makes any business sense.
This Website Censors Me

UNITED777ORD

Re: RiverVisualNYC

Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:16 am

RiverVisualNYC: Thanks for the support...It's a shame USAirways is in the condition that they are in. The United/USAirways merger should have been approved but both of these airlines don't have hubs in Texas and they compete with American. So we know how that goes when we have a Bush from Texas in the White House...Hopefully, Chapter 7 will be avoided.

caetravlr

Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:39 am

United777 and RiverVisual, you guys are greatly oversimplifying things. Back when that merger was being evaluated, there WERE competitive concerns, and to be honest, it would have meant the demise of two great airlines instead of just one. UAL is currently in Chapter 11 itself. Where would it be if it paid about 30 times too much for an airline with USAirways problems? It is really a good thing that merger never happened, at least from a UAL point of view. That merger was something that Stephen Wolf cooked up to make himself some money. It's kind of akin to a Carl Icahn deal if you look at it closer.

Now, none of this is to say that I want USAirways to fail. I want them to survive, and I want everyone to keep their jobs. However, just because this airline is suffering, does not mean that the economy overall is not improving. This one airline makes up one miniscule part of the US economy. Yes, on a personal level, all of those affected by such a demise are not doing better, but in the grander scheme of things, our economy is improving. Don't blame Bush. Most of this stuff is a result of things that were put in motion long before he became president. Please include facts if you are going to point a finger at anyone, our president, past airline management, or anyone, for the state that these airlines are in now.

I think that a revisiting of a US and UA merger would be a good thing, if either of them had the funds to make it happen.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate gross generalizations with no basis in fact.

Regards,
CAETravlr
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

RIX

Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:03 am

Exactly, CAETravlr. Great post.

goingboeing

Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:19 am

Why would United even want to merge with USAirways? All they have to do is look at AA for all the "warm fuzzy" feelings generated by the integration of the different workforces. That alone would most likely keep UAL from taking them over. If UAL wants some of USAirways "assets", then it's better off just letting them fail and picking up what they want...on THEIR terms. Heartless, I know - but that's about the only scenario where UAL could "acquire" US and actually get stronger.

Caetravler - I know some guys in tech services who are watching their jobs be 'offshored" for "shareholder value" that might argue that the economy is getting better.

N628AU

Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:32 pm

It's a shame.
Our company travel agent put them on our "no-fly" list to limit exposure in case of collapse.
I imagine many agencies are doing the same..which will only hasten their ability to maintain revenue.

Your travel agent is a moron.

US is not, I repeat, not going under. All of this is fodder to get the unions to come back to the table, and they will fold to protect their membership numbers. US will add 60 A320 aircraft, get unit costs down, and recall very few employees to do so.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos