SRA330-223
Topic Author

Finnair MD-11s

Tue Jan 18, 2000 4:25 am

Hi guys !

I was just wondering about Finnairs longhaul fleet. As I know they are operating four MD-11 jets and do they really want to add some more ?
What is the cofiguration in these aircrafts like ? Two class seating or three class seating ? 9 seat abreast ?
And, are there still aircrafts with the nice "Moomins" and "Santa Claus " stickers ?
What expects the passengers in (First) Business and Economy Class ? PTVs ? Comfortable seats ?

Could you please help me ???

Have you ever experienced Finnair flights especially on the nice MD-11 aircraft ? Tell me about your experiences of flying Finnair... !

Thanx !

VH-OJO

RE: Finnair MD-11s

Tue Jan 18, 2000 4:32 am

I took a HEL to JFK flight back in August 1995 on OH-LGB. It was OK but not extraordinary. Swissair MD-11s are much more comfortable. As far as I know Finnair still operates four MD-11s, registered OH-LGA,LGB,LGC,LGD but to my knowledge no more Santa Claus stickers, like on the good old DC-10.

killjoy

VH-OJO

Tue Jan 18, 2000 5:35 am

Since you flew in 1995, much has changed. Read this press release:

http://www.finnair.com/news/1999/pr990601.htm

Don't know if it's better than Swissair even now, though, since I haven't flown in their nor Finnair's MD-11's (hope to change that at least for Finnair soon).

And to the original poster:
Finnair has used both 2-5-2 and 3-4-3 economy-seating in the past, but at least some are being converted to 3-4-2, like the press release says. It is a very nice airline, although I always travel economy (the people traveling with me think business is a waste of money, what can I do :-) so can't vouch for their business class. Finnair doesn't have a first class.

Oh, and extremely safe too.

jr

Santa Claus/Moomins

Tue Jan 18, 2000 6:14 am

As far as I know, they still paint (they are actually removeable stickers) one of their MD-11s (OH-LGC) in Moomins scheme during the summer and with the Santa Claus scheme during the winter. I saw the Santa claus plane about a month ago in Helsinki.
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

Happy-flier

RE: Finnair MD-11s

Tue Jan 18, 2000 11:10 am

Hi there,

I flew to Europe from YYZ in Finnair business class back in '89 on the DC-10, from where I took one of their connector flights aboard a DC-9-50, and on another occasion, an MD-82. All flights were very good and I would certainly fly Finnair again.

Basically I'd say that the staff are very professional and all the takeoffs and landings were extremely well-executed (sat by the window every time   ).

May the wind be always at your back . . . except during takeoff & landing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos

GZIP: Off