FoxBravo
Topic Author

Mexicana To Codeshare With American

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:27 pm

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040121/daw019_1.html

So it looks like MX has dumped UA in favor of AA...I wonder if they will be joining Oneworld soon...very interesting!

[Edited 2004-01-21 14:32:35]
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

aviationmaster

RE: Mexicana To Codeshare With American

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:32 pm

Now this is veeeeeery interesting! Wouldn't surprise me if they join OneWorld in a year or two.

FoxBravo
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:35 pm

Me neither...at the very least, I would expect to see codesharing with IB in the near future, since that would make a lot of sense for MX.

iflyatldl

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:36 pm

Strange bedfellows indeed!  Big grin But I can sort of see it.  Smile
Ah, Summer, Fenway Park, Boston Red Sox and Beer.....

FoxBravo
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:40 pm

(sorry, duplicate post)

[Edited 2004-01-21 14:41:00]

FoxBravo
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:40 pm

My only concern is whether there might be any antitrust issues, since AA has a much larger presence in Mexico than UA had. On the other hand, their service does not overlap on many routes, so it may not be a problem.

iflyatldl

Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:55 pm

Isn't there a law in Mexico that Mexican carriers can't directly compete against each other on the same routes or something strange like that?

UA744Flagship

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:21 pm

It makes sense... with AA looking at a more integrated alliance with Alaska, you will see a US-Mexico powerhouse alliance/airline presence that has never been seen before.

CO should be worried, if not for the fact that they are now developing a partnership with AeroMexico...

Poor United... now virtually locked out of the US-Mexico market unless it starts up more service on its own.

Aren't there anti-trust issues with respect to AA's strength in Central America now, though... because AA is currently with TACA?

Will TACA go to Star Alliance??
no wire hangers!

scottysair

Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:54 pm

This is good move for MX & AA added more new codeshare this time and after that for MX is leaving from star alliances.

XAAAM

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:05 am

Smart move by Mexicana and AA, they complement each other very good in North American routes, specially in and out of Mexico and Central America.

TACA will have to do something quick.

Mexicana757

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:10 am

This codeshare between MX and AA paves the road for MX to join OneWorld in the future. I hope this codeshare helps both of the airlines.

Iflyatldl

I think the law your talking about is the one that only allows two airlines from both countries to fly one route. Like GDL-LAX, AM and MX are the Mexican carriers flying the route and AA and Delta are the American carriers flying it. Same thing with ORD-MX), Mexico">MEX, AM, MX, AA and UA fly the route. The Mexican airline that used to fly this route was TAESA. AM picked up the route like two years ago.

EA CO AS

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:11 am

The only "huh?" I have about this is that AA codeshares with AS on flights to/from Mexico already (the AS code on AA flights), with a significant codeshare expansion plan under review by the DOT where AS flights will sport AA codes.

Does AA really need that much extra AA-coded lift to/from Mexico?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

iflyatldl

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:29 am

Thanks Mexicana757!  Smile

WiLdmanVzla

Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:14 am

That's great news... Star Alliance didn't work well with MX, so I hope MX will get into OneWorld as soon as possible.

KKMolokai

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:35 am

American signs extensive marketing alliance with Star leaver Mexicana:

American Airlines has signed an extensive marketing agreement with Mexicana, which leaves the Star alliance at the end of March after ending its co-operation with United. Their new accord includes extensive code-sharing on one another's routes and frequent flyer links.

Announcing the development today, American made clear that it was up to Mexicana whether or not it would seek membership of oneworld, but that AA would "certainly be supportive" of any such application.

Under their agreement, which is subject to governmental approval, the two airlines will code-share on one another's flights between the USA and Mexico, on connecting services to points within both countries and on select international flights beyond the United States.

Both carriers stressed the advantages this will bring to air travellers between their home countries. Mexicana customers will receive enhanced service to the most important markets in the USA, Europe and Asia as well as new destinations in the Caribbean, while American passengers will be able to fly on AA-coded services to 21 additional airports in Mexico and on 27 new, non-stop transborder routes.

Together, the two airlines offer 500 round-trips a week between the US and Mexico, with AA expanding its own services at the end of this month including new routes between its Dallas/Fort Worth hub and Cozumel and Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo.

Under their reciprocal frequent flyer arrangement, members of the AAdvantage programme will be able to earn and redeem miles on the Mexican carrier's network, and likewise cardholders' of Mexicana's Frecuenta scheme on American services.

American's President and Chief Executive Gerard Arpey said: "Through this agreement with Mexicana, we're further strengthening the breadth of our route system and increasing flight options for our passengers. In co-operation with Mexico's finest airline, we're able to further honour our commitment to providing our customers with the products and services they value."

Mexicana's Chairman and Chief Executive Fernando Flores said: "We're very pleased to announce the leading alliance in North America. Our commitment to our passengers has always been to offer the best services and connectivity. Now that we are working with American Airlines, I'm confident that Mexicana will solidify its long-standing stature as the leading Mexican international airline."

Mexicana is Mexico's leading international airline. With one of the youngest fleets in the world, it serves more than 55 destinations in North, Central and South America and the Caribbean. It has served the USA for more than 70 years, while American has flown to Mexico for more than 60 years.

Mexico's other main airline, Aeromexico, is a member of SkyTeam, with extensive bilateral links with Delta and Continental.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:40 am

Great news! Now, hopefully this will mean increased Miami-Mexico service for both airlines.
a.

GALLO_MEXICO

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:42 am

So we are moving to Oneworld, I liked more Staralliance, whatever.

Check the complete article in spanish:

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/pls/impreso/noticia.html?id_nota=198185&tabla=notas

DFWMEX

Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:01 am

You all got here first! I read it on the Mexicana webpage and quickly came to a.net to be the first one to post these news, but you all are too fast and the thread already had started.

I am so glad that MX is doing this. This clearly indicates that MX will be joining One World eventually. So excited about the news!

Jose

cx340

Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:34 am

Great news!

So I suppose this means Mexicana beefing up flights to MIA and probably starting to DFW (doesn't MX have dormant rights?).

navega

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:49 am

The best most exciting news by a Mexican Airlines in many, many years.

For all those who trashed Mexicana's decision to leave STAR it is now clear
that their business decision is a great one.

This will enable Mexicana to grow and expand and fly to many, many
US and International destinations.

Hopefully we will soon see flight to Europe, and the Caribbean and a whole lot
of the US.

I am very happy as Mexicana is one of the great airlines of the world and
deserves to be on top again.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:40 am

Here's what they will codeshare on...

On transborder routes, MX will place the *MX code on the following AA/AEagle flights:
BOS-CUN
DFW-ACA/AGU/CUN/CZM/GDL/ZIH/BJX/MX), Mexico">MEX/MTY/PVR/SJD
JFK-CUN
LAX-SJD
MIA-CUN/MX), Mexico">MEX
ORD-ACA/CUN/MX), Mexico">MEX/PVR/SJD
STL-CUN

On transborder routes, AA will place the *AA code on the following Mexicana flights:
DEN-MX), Mexico">MEX
EWR-MX), Mexico">MEX
LAS-GDL/MX), Mexico">MEX
LAX-CUN/GDL/BJX/MX), Mexico">MEX/MLM/SJD/ZCL
MIA-CUN/MX), Mexico">MEX
OAK-GDL/BJX/ZCL
ORD-DGO/GDL/MX), Mexico">MEX/MTY/MLM/ZCL
PDX-GDL
SAT-GDL/MX), Mexico">MEX
SFO-GDL/MX), Mexico">MEX/MLM
SJC-GDL/MLM
SMF-GDL

AA will place the *AA designator codes on select flights to/and from US-Mexico gateways within Mexico to these destinations operated by Mexicana:

Acapulco/ACA, Cancun/CUN, Chertumal/CTM, Cuidad de Carmen/???, Cozumel/CZM, Guadalajara/GDL, Hermosillo/HMO, Bahias de Huatulco/BHL, Ixtapa/ZIH, Leon/BJX, Manzanillo/ZLO, Mazatlan/MZT, Merida/MID, Mexicali/MXL, Mexico City/MX), Mexico">MEX, Minatitlan/MTT, Monterrey/MTY, Morelia/MLM, Nuevo Laredo/NLD, Oaxaca/OAX, Puerto Escondido/PXM, Puerto Vallarta/PVR, Saltillo/SLW, San Jose del Cabo/SJD, Tampico/TAM, Tijuana/TIJ, Tuxtla/TGZ, Veracruz/VER, Villahermosa/VSA, Zacatecas/ZCL

MX will place the *MX designator codes on select flights to/from Mexico gateways to these domestic destinations operated by American Airlines:

Albuquerque/ABQ, Atlanta/ATL, Austin/AUS, Baltimore/BOS, Boston/BOS, Charlotte/CLT, Chicago/MDW, Chicago/ORD, Cincinnati/CVG, Cleveland/CLE, Columbus/CMH, Dallas/DFW, Denver/DEN, Detroit/DTW, El Paso/ELP, Fresno/FAT, Honolulu/HNL, Houston/IAH, Indianapolis/IND, Kansas City/MCI, Las Vegas/LAS, Los Angeles/LAX, Miami/MIA, Milwaukee/MKE, Minneapolis/MSP, Nashville/BNA, Newark/EWR, New Orleans/MSY, New York City/JFK, New York City/LGA, Oakland/OAK, Omaha/OMA, Ontario/ONT, Orlando/MCO, Philadelphia/PHL, Phoenix/PHX, Pittsburgh/PIT, Portland/PDX, Raleigh/RDU, Sacramento/SMF, Salt Lake City/SLC, San Diego/SAN, San Francisco/SFO, San Jose/SJC, Seattle/SEA, St. Louis/STL, Tampa/TPA, Tucson/TUS, Washington, D.C./DCA, Washington, D.C./IAD

MX will place the *MX designator codes on select flights to/from Mexico gateways to these international destinations operated by American Airlines:

Tokyo/AA), Japan">NRT, Brussels/BRU, Zurich/ZRH, Frankfurt/FRA, Madrid/MAD, London/LHR, London/LGW, Manchester/MAN, Rome/FCO, Calgary/YYC, Montreal/YUL, Toronto/YYZ, Vancouver/YVR, Buenos Aires/EZE, La Paz/LPB, Santa Cruz/VVI, Rio de Janeiro/GIG, Sao Paulo/GRU, Santiago de Chile/SCL, Quito/UIO, Guayquil/GYE, Lima/LIM, Asuncion/ASU, Montevideo/MVD, Anguilla/AXA, Aruba/AUA, Barbados/BGI, Bermuda/BDA, Bonaire/BON, Canuoan Island/CIW, Casa de Campo/LRM, Curacao/CUR, Dominica/DOM, Freeport/FPO, George Town/GGT, Grand Cayman/GCM, Grenada/GND, Kingston/KIN, Marsh Harbour/MHH, Montego Bay/MBJ, Nassau/NAS, Nevis/NEV, Pointe a Pitre/PTP, Port-Au-Prince/PAP, Port of Spain/POS, Providenciales/PLS, Punta Cana/PUJ, Puerto Plata/POP, Santiago/STI, Santo Domingo/SDQ, St. Kitts/SKB, St. Lucia/SLU, St. Marteen/SXM, and Tortola/EIS
a.

EddieDude

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:04 am

I also believe this is great news, although we sort of saw it coming.

While this seems like a step towards becoming a member of oneworld, MX has consistently stressed that it will keep its cooperation agreements with LH, AC and RG in place. I don't know if MX will be able to retain its codeshare agreements with these Star Alliance members if it seeks to become a oneworld member or if it will be forced to sever said links. In any case, I hope MX' actions result in better service and in MX flying to new destinations. It would be very nice MX flying to new destinations in the U.S., such as Washington (either Dulles or Reagan) and DFW. It would also be very nice if MX started offering service to European destinations like London (Heathrow or Gatwick). Perhaps we will indeed see in the future new codesharing agreements with other oneworld carriers such as BA, LA and IB (although I think I read somewhere that JK was going to start flying its own aircraft to CUN and that MX was going to be its codeshare partner for that route... is that true or am I crazy?).

Finally, I have two question for everybody:

1. Is AA going to place the *AA designator in all or some of MX's flights from MX), Mexico">MEX to South and Central America?

2. What happened to MX's service to SJU and SDQ?
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

RicardoMexico

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:06 am

This is business, and I think it is a good step for Mexicana, and even better if MX joins one world, this would be even better. However I do not think that this is a godd news for Aerocalifornia. I think Aerocalifornia has an agreement with AA, is not it?
In the ohter side, I prefer flying UA than AA. I have not tried AA in almost 10 years, may be they have improved their service, at least in flights between Mexico and USA, hope so, as much as I would like the One world.

A member of SkyTeam!

mx330

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:10 am

This is what I was waiting to hear!!!

Now what do the people that hate MX have to say???

Mx330
All Canon! EOS 5D mk III, 8mm, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 f2.8, 100-400L

LeoDF

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:26 am

There's always something behind such important moves as when Mexicana announced it will leave Star Alliance. Surely this was all planned. Mexicana would never have been so stupid as to leave the biggest alliance, without any backup!

Interesting news! The future that awaits this great airline! Now if only Mexicana would change to Boeing!...

A. De Leo
Lloyd Aereo Boliviano

ORDnDFW777

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:27 am

All flights will go through DFW, the next Heathrow (yeah, right)?

rojo

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:23 pm

And don't forget that Mexicana has dormant rights to fly the Mexico City-DFW route. Since AM has gone from 3 daily flights to 1 daily flight thanks to the downsize made by DL at DFW, expect MX to open the route and AM to stay with 1 flight in order to keep Aviacsa and Azteca away from it.

AA and MX will have the biggest market share in the Mexico - USA market so MX will be in a better position to open more new routes and feed their flights with AA passengers and the other way around. A bigger improvement from the small presence of UA in Mexico.

JAL

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:26 pm

Cool!!!! Maybe Mexicana will join OneWorld soon!!! Now if only JAL would join.
Work Hard But Play Harder

jopavon

Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:33 am

This was comming...we could actually smell it. These are the so expected news MX had reserved.

Mexicana had a strategic plan to have more destinations in the Caribbean and South America. This deal will truly help MX's strategy.

Who's next: IB or BA? Any bets? I think it's BA.

EddieDude

Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:49 am

More on MX. This time, it's questions I have.

What will happen to MX's Fokker 100's? I personally like them very much. They are not noisy, they are comfortable and I like the windows. But I figure out that since Fokker is out of business, MX has two choices: get rid of them immediately before their market value goes down even more or stick to them until their lifespan is over. Someone in a separate thread mentioned some months ago that MX could give all its F100's to AeroCaribe as part of its new strategy for its regional affiliate (whatever that strategy is). Does anybody know anything about it? I guess that if MX's cashflow improves as a result of its new destinations and its codeshare agreement with AA, perhaps it could consider replacing the F100's with A318's. Do you think this could happen?

I also want to know how old the 757's in MX's fleet are and whether it will keep the 767's it will be receiving this year (including the 763 it received from SK in November) for a long time. I ask the latter because I also recall reading here in a.net that the 767's will all be leased and are only meant to be temporary. If so, when will MX be replacing them, and with what aircraft?

Thanks for the replies (if any) in advance. Finally, I would just like to say that hopefully MX will start codesharing with BA soon and perhaps, just perhaps, MX will start flying to LHR with its own aircraft.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

orbis

Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:57 am

I would love to hear to what Ghost77 has to say about.
He's so properly informed about MX business.

Anyway, I would love to fly MX), Mexico">MEX-LHR on a codeshared BA/MX flight.

As for OneWorld??? It isn't worth it of MX yet!!!!  Big grin
Star never was.

UA and CO will suffer, and so will AM, but I think CINTRA is moving its pieces in a very smart way..... AM will get its share too.

we should live our lives as if we were really alive!!! H.M.

jopavon

Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:57 am

EddieDude:

Mexicana placed recently an order for 10 A318s for delivery between Dec 04-Dec 05. They will replace F100s.

Regading MX 757s:

Las Vegas N101FL 1995
Experiencia en nuestro destino N380RM 1998
¿No que no..? N755MX 1992
Vamos por más N758MX 1992
S. S. Juan Pablo II N762MX 1998
Star Alliance N763MX 1998
Ciudad de México N764MX 1994
Guadalajara N765MX 2001
Los Angeles XA-TRA 1990

They are not that old.

And regarding your 767s question, I read today on Airliner World (Feb 04) that MX was in lease talks for A330s/A340s & B777 to start service to Europe by summer to 2 destinations and increase them by another 2 by year end. Their focus was to be placed on UK and Germany.

Hope it helps.

orbis

Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:00 am

Jopavon:
A340's and B777's wow. Great news.
Did you read it online??? Will you share the link???

we should live our lives as if we were really alive!!! H.M.

EddieDude

Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:09 am

It sure does Jopavon, mil gracias!!!

I really look forward to flying to Europe on an MX widebody.

Danny

Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:18 am

Can someone explain what is exactly the profit for Mexicana in leaving STAR and joining One World?

EddieDude

Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:04 am

We will probably see MX doing what SA and VS do: remain independent of alliances while maintaining key codeshare partnerships with strong airlines on a market-by-market basis. At least in the short term. In any case, I am sure the deal with AA is great news for MX and will bring benefits for the Mexican carrier and for Mexican flyers.

ghost77

Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:01 pm

Ok, my point of view:

HOPE MX doesn't follow AA steps in their inflight service. I've heard (my parents own a Travel Agency) hundreds of complaints about American's service. What I've heard... ''They charge for everything on board!!!'' I know MX sometimes doesn't give service or food on board but sometimes and at certain hours they do give you a nice meal or something! Covers and pillows are for free in MX while AA its the opposite. I just hope MX in flight service DOESN'T CHANGE IN THE FUTURE.

About this new alliance I think it was something WE ALL WERE EXPECTING. And I'M SURE 1 World is next!

In terms of routes I hope MX to open routes that were flown in the 80s and 90s. For sure, MX will start flights to new US Cities currently not in their route map.. as well as new services to Carribean, Central and South America.

In terms of fleet., hope AA helps and push MX with their wide body fleet! MX certainly needs that push. And I think AA will help A LOT MX in this aspect.

About the F100...
The first A318 it's scheduled for November. Meanwhile QA will increase their 9 fleet to 10. Same number as the F100 fleet in MX. SOOO, I predict the first F100 to leave MX will enter QA in December 04 or for sure January 05.

About the long haul fleet....
The sole 767, MX signed for a 3 years lease to SK. MX brouth the 767 to 'test' if it was 'profitable' for the airline. And apparently the aircraft has been doing really nice and MX had plans for a second 767 before April. (I heard this a week ago)........ but TODAY Airliner World release some information.... in fact very nice news. Tomorrow I'll try to talk to my MX hangars insider.

I was told that AWAS was in talks with MX and they wanted MX to sent engineers to Tolousse (sp?) for the A330 training in order to bring A330s to MEx and give mx by Mexicana at their hangars. So, in this way MX was going to get mx experience with this new type and AWAS was also going to be happy as they have been this far with all their aircrafts they own and have landed at MEx for C and D checks.

If Airliner World is telling the truth.... (I trust them)....... I think either A330s or B777s will get here. I think MX will go with Boeing for the long haul, maybe AA will put some pressure getting the 777. Also things MX has to consider will be MTOW restrictions from MEx. I'll cross my fingers to see the serven-seven-seven with MX and AM.......!

In the short term maybe AA will lease some 767s for MX in this new European routes but in the long term maybe 2005 767s will be replaced either with A330s or B777s.

So........ I guess LHR and FRA will open before summer and by winter we will have an announcement for MXP and AmS or ZRH will be the new European destinations!

Ricardo APM  Smile

Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

AA767400

Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:46 pm

AA Does not charge for pillows and blankets, how dramatic! Yes, MX service is
MUCH more complete then AA. But come on, charging for pillows? Alcoholic
beverages are not free, like most other North American airlines. And If you look
at the trashy Americans that go to CUN, you would not want to be giving out
free drinks.

Oneworld or only codeshare, that's what it will come down to.
"The low fares airline."

MAH4546

Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:47 pm

I've heard (my parents own a Travel Agency) hundreds of complaints about American's service.

American's service standards are commonly considered to be the best of the major US carriers.

... ''They charge for everything on board!!!'' I know MX sometimes doesn't give service or food on board but sometimes and at certain hours they do give you a nice meal or something! Covers and pillows are for free in MX while AA its the opposite. I

Not only does American not charge for covers and pillows, they were the first major airline to stop charing for in-flight movies.

For sure, MX will start flights to new US Cities currently not in their route map.. as well as new services to Carribean, Central and South America.

Part of the advantage of the codeshare is that it gives MX accsess to these markets without having to serve them with thier own aircraft. They will now have an extensive Caribbean route map thanks to American. No need for them flying thier own aircraft there, though I do think a return to SJU is definitley a strong possibility.
a.

latinaviation

Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:44 pm

I've heard (my parents own a Travel Agency) hundreds of complaints about American's service.

American's service standards are commonly considered to be the best of the major US carriers.

I commonly support your posts, MAH, but this is debatable at best. When I was with AA, consumer research and customer affairs feedback suggested otherwise. CO and DL would almost always rank higher than AA in all measured metrics.

While their domestic product is very consistent systemwide, it is also very minimal.

jopavon

Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:01 am

Orbis,
I read it on Airliner World (Feb 2004). The article is "Mexico targets Europe". This is the first paragraph. The second is dedicated to AM.

"Mexico's two largest operators are set to significantly increase capacity on routes to Europe this year, with Mexicana poised to launch transatlantic services for their first time in history. The carrier has recently established a regional office in Madrid and is planning to serve at least two European destinations by the middle of the year and up to five by December 2004. Mexicana recently added a number of former SAS 767ERs to its fleet to boost its services to the US and it's said it has opened discussions to lease either Airbus A330/A340s or B777s for the new European services. Although the airline has yet to confirm its network plans, it has been suggested that it has been looking closely at the German and UK markets, where the Mexican government already holds bilateral rights to fly."

[Edited 2004-01-23 23:02:14]

ghost77

Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:54 am

MAH4546,

I just want to point out what I have heard. Its not my opinion. IMO I would give a 5 to AA. Flew with them last August 03 from SXM to MIA in economy... no food only drinks for a 3.25 hours flight! At least a cheesy sandwich with some cookies! Not even peanuts... fortunatly I ate at the Tortuga Beach Cafe before boarding my flight. Apart from that I traveled in Business.... from MEx to MIA and MIA-SXM and MIA-MEx. Definetly a superb service... I give AA a 10!

About routes to Carribean I was talking about SJU and SDQ and I heard rumours about Punta Cana. Also I was told that with this new code share MX was thinking on increasing flights to Cuba, more pricesely UHA, UVA and MAYBE a new 1x flight to UCM. Also I was told that MX wanted PTY back as well as SCL.

Ricardo APM  Smile

Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

MAH4546

Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:06 am

I commonly support your posts, MAH, but this is debatable at best. When I was with AA, consumer research and customer affairs feedback suggested otherwise. CO and DL would almost always rank higher than AA in all measured metrics.

It is debatable, as service will always vary, but American Airlines usually comes on top when it comes to service awards, especially lately:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031120/dath052_1.html
http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2002/11/18/daily73.html
http://www.aa.com/content/aboutAA/pressGuide/awards.jhtml

This includes the 2003 award for Best North American Airline out of 4.4M people surveyed worldwide by Skytrax.
a.

EddieDude

Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:26 am

For one, I have realized that not all of AA's aircraft have been reconfigured so as to offer better seat pitch. For a flight over 3 hours, I think the extra legroom makes a big difference in a passenger's perception of the service, even if other factors such as meal, need to pay for it, IFE, kindness of flight attendants, etc. do not vary. Perhaps this is something that influences persons flying AA coach class in their overall assessment of the level of service and that's why there are so many mixed responses to that respect.

In connection with the launch of service to European destinations, I think this is very exciting news. What a few weeks ago was only rumors is now a confirmed fact. I have heard that the MX), Mexico">MEX-LHR route is very profitable for BA and that BA cannot increase flights because the only way it will obtain authorization to do so from the Mexican government is if a Mexican carrier starts operating that route as well. I think that this route could be a cash cow for MX. Hopefully by the time they start it, the MX), Mexico">MEX-EZE experience will have prepared MX and its flight attendants to provide a high-quality service in widebodies in long haul flights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess that the announcement that MX will start service to LHR will come together with the announcement of a codesharing partnership with BA.

I hope to see MX flying to SCL soon, although that probably means that AM would stop serving that route. I don't know what to make of that, though. I really think it is pretty cool that AM is flying to SCL.

fly727

Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:18 am

As far as I know MX is indeed in talks to bring the A330. I over heard today at the Pilot's Union Assembly that AM will retire the 757 in favour of the 737-800. 777-200 are to be confirmed soon. I could say more but have a tremendous and shocking new to share with you all (in another topic).

RM  Smile
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!