MAH4546
Topic Author

AA To Restructure, Expand MIA Hub

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:39 am

American Airlines today announced a restructuring and expansion of thier primary interantional gateway at MIA. This includes more frequencies, more banks (7 to 13), and very likely more destinations. The exact schedule details are still TBA:

In Miami, the airline's principal gateway to Latin America, American will spread its operations more evenly by increasing the number of daily flight banks to 13 from seven, effective May 1. In doing so, the airline will be able to operate more flights in and out of Miami using fewer aircraft, thereby greatly increasing the hub's efficiency and assisting in the company's overall objective to lower costs.

At the same time, the restructured Miami hub will significantly enhance customer service, allowing American to offer passengers more flight choices, giving customers more time to make their flight connections, and spreading out the flow of international passengers in ways that will make it easier to clear customs and immigration processing.

Awesome news for MIA!
a.

ahlfors

RE: AA To Restructure, Expand MIA Hub

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:43 am

I wonder if this means new destinations. I would love to see a return to ANU non-stop.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:57 am

wonder if this means new destinations. I would love to see a return to ANU non-stop.

It most likely does mean new destinations. AA has been adding new destinations left and right at MIA the past 18 months.

June 2002: Santiago/STI and Medellin/MDE
November 2002: Punta Cana/PUJ
December 2002: Charlotte/CLT
January 2003: Las Vegas/LAS
July 2003: Columbus/CMH and Pittsburgh/PIT
October 2003: Cincinnati/CVG
November 2003: Minneapolis/MSP and Indianapolis/IND
January 2004: Richmond/RIC and Guanacaste Liberia/LIR

On the rumour board:
Kansas City/MCI, Phoenix/PHX, San Diego/SAN, Seattle/SEA, Valencia/VLN, Antigua/ANU, St. Lucia/SLU, Providence/PVD, Grenada/GND, Manchester/MAN, Greensboro/GSO, Memphis/MEM, Birmingham/BHM, Ganiesville/GNV, Norfolk/ORF, Cozumel/CZM

Plus a few others as well. It is extremely likely AA will launch at least four or five new non-stop routes from MIA this year.
a.

RyanairA320

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:00 am

Will AA come to Dublin and codeshare with Aer Lingus???

RyanairA320

Ryanair 'The Low Fares Airline' and now also 'The On-time Airline'

scottysair

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:05 am

Hey MAH,

What are you think will expand more new nonstop this year of 2004? If you get anything more news lately with AA and also, I heard AA are join with the codeshare with Mexicana now. Did you get with those news this morning? Please let us know! Thanks!  Smile

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:05 am

Will AA come to Dublin and codeshare with Aer Lingus???

There were strong rumours a while back, but they have died down. Before anything, however, the US and Ireland have to find a way to agree to make Miami and US-Ireland gateway. Then EI and AA can decide who will fly any proposed Miami-Ireland service.
a.

tripseven

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:08 am

Real quick question.... What are "banks?" Thx

ConcordeBoy

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:10 am

At small/medium hubs, flight arrivals and departures are timed in "banks" to coincide with each other... so pax dont have to sit around waiting for a series of connections to randomly occur.

Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

jsnww81

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:12 am

Just out of curiosity, has American opened any components of the new terminal expansion yet? I knew that an extension to Concourse D was under construction and near completion, and that the first portion of Concourse D was being reconstructed. Where do they stand on the project completion?

When they start rebuilding the ticketing/baggage claim areas, things will probably get really hairy...

qqflyboy

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:19 am

It has been long rumored at AA that if we were to start service to Ireland, it would be from Boston. If this new 757 service from Boston to Manchester works well, perhaps they'll look at offering 757 service to Dublin. It may not ever happen though with Aer Lingus in the oneworld alliance. I can't imagine service from Miami to Ireland.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

ConcordeBoy

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:23 am

I can't imagine service from Miami to Ireland

EI has been whining/pushing for Ireland-MIA service for years now....

PVD757

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:25 am

Could this be the move that nets PVD it's long awaited MIA flight? Keeping my fingers crossed...

Coronado990

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:29 am

A MIA-SAN non-stop on AA would be awesome. We can use some good news around here. San Diego-Florida non-stops are, at this time, non-existent so that would be good news. I know they tried it a few years back with a 757, but AA would stand a better chance utilizing the 737-800 on the route. Perhaps Song or B6 will someday operate MCO-SAN non-stops as well.
Uncle SAN at your service!

BHMNONREV

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:37 am

MAH4546, hope those "rumours" of yours turn out to be fact, especially the BHM flights. I could see Eagle running one or two ERJ's a day to connect with the South/Central America and Caribbean departures...

FLAIRPORT

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:45 am

i think that MIA most needes SAN, SEA, MCI, PVD, and GVL. There are others, I know, but those routes would be great for MIA!

So, how do the panke look like?
is it
4am-6am
6am-7am
7am-8am
8am-9am
9am-10am
10am-12pm
12pm-2pm
2pm-4pm
4pm-5pm
5pm-6pm
6pm-8pm
8pm-10pm
10pm-11pm

that seems the most feesible way.

do they still fly a 3am MIA-POS...how do they work that with connections and all?
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

LambertMan

Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:01 am

Alright! Things are looking up for AA. You would have to think that MCI, PHX, SAN, and SEA are definitely coming. Probably on a mix of S80's/757's, with any luck some other destinations will receive more service also. Big grin

sarrebal

Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:06 am

I don't understand how come AA hasn't ever considered a flight to/from Milan, since MXP-MIA is one of the (very) few very profitable AZ's routes.

Plus, AA could connect passengers to Latin America!

as739x

Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:09 am

Nope Flairport...MIA-POS departs at 5:20p and 7:15p
ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

KKMolokai

Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:45 am

Sarrebal,

AA used to fly from Chicago to Milan, a few years back.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:00 am

I can't imagine service from Miami to Ireland.

Miami is the largest trans-Atlantic market from Ireland with no non-stop service. It is very easy to imagine. Aer Lingus has been begging and pleading to make Miami and US-Ireland gateway for a while now (along with San Francisco), but the US won't budge because of the 50/50 rule.

I don't understand how come AA hasn't ever considered a flight to/from Milan, since MXP-MIA is one of the (very) few very profitable AZ's routes.

Alitalia has the market all covered up, IMO. It is a profitable route, and one of few US-Italy routes with a healthy amount of premium traffic (thanks to the fashion industry), but Alitalia's daily service suffices demand.

MAH4546, hope those "rumours" of yours turn out to be fact, especially the BHM flights. I could see Eagle running one or two ERJ's a day to connect with the South/Central America and Caribbean departures...

BHM officials have been pushing for this service for years. The new MIA-RIC non-stops that started the first week of January were a test for AA, trying out RJs to secondary markets. So far, MIA-RIC has been going out with over 80% loadfactors, frequently selling out on weekends. The popularity of that new service bodes well for other new RJ service to small/medium markets in the Southeast. Plus, American Airlines wants to continue thier dominance in the Caribbean by offering the same one-stop connections USAirways offers (USAirways is able to offer a much larger number of one-stop connections than American).

A MIA-SAN non-stop on AA would be awesome. We can use some good news around here. San Diego-Florida non-stops are, at this time, non-existent so that would be good news. I know they tried it a few years back with a 757, but AA would stand a better chance utilizing the 737-800 on the route.

Yes, they did try it a while back. The MIA hub is a lot stronger now, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it given another shot. Likely aircraft is 738. Even though the 752 is designed for leisure routes, the 738 is better suited capacity-wise.
a.

Southamerica

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:40 am

Thanks Mark, great news, and if they're comming from you, they must be true.

Miami obviously is my favorite foreign airport and connecting place, no matter what most people here says. And since American is serving Medellin nonstop, connection possibilities ar even better !  Smile

One of the things I would like to see, is precisely the Medellin run, going from 5x week to daily. I think that the company already had that planned for 2003, but never knew what happened.

And Bogota getting more service would be cool too. American cut back a bit from BOG after 9/11, so those would be even better news.

No matter what happens, great to see that American keeps consolidating their MIA hub more and more !

Regards,

SOUTHAMERICA

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:48 am

One of the things I would like to see, is precisely the Medellin run, going from 5x week to daily.

I agree, the lack of daily service has always puzzled me. It is a huge market, not only with VFR, but also with business traffic.

And Bogota getting more service would be cool too. American cut back a bit from BOG after 9/11, so those would be even better news.

Yes, it would be much welcomed. AA introducing back the third daily would be great. They still run it, but only during the very busy holiday and summer rushes. One thing AA has obviously been doing is cutting back a little on frequency to certain high-yielding, limited service destinations, like BOG and PAP, in order to increase yields. AA could probably easily fill four daily flights on MIA-BOG and turn a profit, but they choose to fill two and turn a much healthier profit. It makes sense giving thier current financial state (and add the fact that the Miami international services on one of the few bright spots on thier route network), so I don't blame them. As their finances improve, I would think more frequencies will be on the horizon.
a.

usairways85

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:52 am

hopefully AA will add a 4th flt to PHL or possibly upgrade one of their 757's to an A300. I've been dying to see one of them in PHL.

UA744Flagship

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:12 am

Guys,

This, along with MX's defection, is the deathblow for what remains of UAL's MIA-Latin American operations.

Wait for an announcement in the coming months...
no wire hangers!

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:15 am

This, along with MX's defection, is the deathblow for what remains of UAL's MIA-Latin American operations.

Wait for an announcement in the coming months...

I totally disagree. First off, AA is not adding anymore flights to GRU, GIG, EZE, nor MVD. Secondly, UA's two MIA-LatAm routes remain profitable despite no feed. Thirdly, a new terminal exclusively for UA and thier Star partners is well underway. The foundation work was completed recently. Anything can happen, but I don't see UA pulling out of MIA-EZE/GRU.
a.

FLAIRPORT

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:25 am

they used to have another...a 3:25am MIA-POS!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

EddieDude

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:28 am

I agree this is not a "deathblow" to UA's Latin America operations, but it certainly shows that UA is now the U.S. carrier with the smallest presence in the Mexico-U.S. market. Except for routes like MX), Mexico">MEX-IAD (which nobody else flies) and MX), Mexico">MEX-SFO (MX flies this route only 2x week), all other routes between Mexico City and U.S. destinations are equally or better served by AM, MX, AA, DL or CO. And UA is absent from beach destinations in Mexico.

I guess the codesharing of MX and AA could steal customers from UA flying to Central or South America in limited cases. Think for example a SJC traveller going to CCS. I think it is clear that flying MX all the way with a change of planes in MX), Mexico">MEX is the best way to go. But I agree that UA will not give up destinations like MX), Mexico">MEX, GRU, EZE and other Latin American cities.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

UA744Flagship

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:30 am

MAH4546,

You are very knowledgable about MIA and aviation markets in general. I respect that.

However, I ask that you revisit my "nostradamus statment" this spring.

Who knows what will happen with the *terminal. IIRC, wasn't MX supposed to pull off a huge MIA-Mexico expansion to fill much of it, and aid UAL??
no wire hangers!

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:52 am

However, I ask that you revisit my "nostradamus statment" this spring.

It may happen, I agree with that. I don't believe it will, however.

Who knows what will happen with the *terminal.

It is well under way for a late 2005 opening. Construction started after September 2001. United could have canceled it if they wanted too. It was the only public construction project which they did not delay.

IIRC, wasn't MX supposed to pull off a huge MIA-Mexico expansion to fill much of it, and aid UAL??

MX had actually planned on opening up routes from Miami to Latin America. They started with MIA-SDQ, which operated for about a year and a half, but later canceled the plans. Mexicana won't be occupying the new Star terminal, but soon USAirways will.
a.

UA744Flagship

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:00 am

All I have to say is: you better believe it cause it's coming.  Sad

I am not a fan of it, but it's what's best for the company. Look for the aircraft to be reallocated to other route opportunities...
no wire hangers!

doug

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:06 am

I would imagine that AUS and SAT might be in play as well.MAH4546 do you think this will put Miami as American's #2 primary hub over Chicago?Also how many daily departures do you see out of MIA as of MAY 1?

usairways85

Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:46 pm

IF US is still around in the next year or two...couldn't US take over UA's mini-hub and add service from MIA to a good dozen Latin American/Caribbean Destinations. They could even possibly use the UA 762's they are rumored to buy for MIA-South America flights.

PVD757

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:42 pm

Mah, any word on when more of those details will be released, May 1st isn't that far away.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:13 pm

Mah, any word on when more of those details will be released, May 1st isn't that far away.

New schedules should be uploaded very early morning on Sunday 1 February or 8 February. If we are lucky, we'll see them next week. As for new destinations, since nothing is set in stone, there is no telling when and what will be added. It is very likely something will be added, but it is anybody's guess what. The only destination they have publicly talked about adding is Valencia, Venezuela, which looks likely to be thier next LatAm destination.
a.

MAH4546
Topic Author

Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:26 am

From today's Miami Herald:

American, the dominant carrier at Miami International Airport, will have 195 daily flights on Feb. 1, up 6 percent from February 2003, said spokeswoman Martha Pantín.

In December, the airline reached a record 217 daily flights. American plans additional flights to be added in May and July, she said.

Can't wait to see what they add.
a.

PVD757

Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:09 am

Mah, I too can't wait, even if we don't get one of the new flights here in PVD, I'm extremely interested in what the new set-up will look like. It's been years since AA has changed MIA outside of frequency changes and the recent round of new services.

UA744Flagship

Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:25 am

MAH4546...

Need I say more???
no wire hangers!

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:33 am

MAH4546...

Need I say more???

Like I said, it was possible, but I didn't think it was going to happen. You were right. It is unfortunate, though it makes sense. Hopefully United will revisit MIA in the near future, because they have a spanking new 15-gate international terminal that will be waiting for them in a few years. The proposed LanArgentina will take MIA-EZE market, since they are planning to launch non-stop service on the route by the end of the year, while American might attempt to go for three extra US-Brazil slots to bring MIA-GRU service up to thrice-daily, since they are already operating at 18 weekly.

While it makes perfect sense given thier current financial status, if they do indeed intend on revisting the Miami market, which a new terminal would imply, then they are going to have to start from scratch with regards to a customer base. And it is going to be hard competing, considering that by 2007, oneWorld plans on offering an estimated 370 daily flights to over 110 destinations non-stop. I don't see how they expect to compete. It wouldn't be worth it, IMO.

[Edited 2004-01-23 17:40:37]
a.

poh2

Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:43 am

Service to VLN (Valencia, Venezuela) would be great. Right now I'm always forced to use Aeropostal (Alas de Venezuela) to MIA and while they're not that bad, I would much rather fly with AA. Plus, checking in with Aeropostal is the most inefficient process I've ever seen in my life. They make you get to the airport 4 hours before departure!!! The flight itself is only 3 hours! Also Aeropostal is rumored to have some financial difficulties and their maintenance leaves a lot to be desired.

That said, flying with Aeropostal is still better than taking the 3 hour road-trip to Caracas in order to catch a plane from CCS.

Please AA, come to VLN!!!
"Life is too short to take everything seriously."

ConcordeBoy

Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:55 am

UA has now dropped their intercontinental nonstops from MIA....

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040123/cgf014_1.html

LambertMan

Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:09 am

Wow, come to think of it AA has been making a ton of changes. In this mornings STL-PD an american spokeswoman said more changes at STL will be announced all the way into March. It appears that AA has alot on its hands to do with MIA and to a lesser extent St Louis. I can't wait till that next schedule comes out! and the next one after that! Big thumbs up

MAH4546
Topic Author

Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:45 am

Please AA, come to VLN!!!

Service was originally going to launch 1 November 2002. Though then everything went wrong in Venezuela and traffic plummeted. JFK/SJU/DFW-CCS were suspended, FLL-CCS start-up canceled indefinitley, etc., etc. Though traffic is back up, all the former routes are now flying, and Valencia is looking more likely. I say a fall 2004 launch is looking good, though who knows.
a.