Danny
Topic Author

JetBlue To Conquer La Guardia?

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:33 am

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040121/airlines_jetblue_1.html

What are their chances of getting these slots? Is it a start of a fight for a business travelers?

BR715-A1-30

RE: JetBlue To Conquer La Guardia?

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:36 am

I think that they have a pretty good chance of getting these slots. Everybody loves B6. If the slots are open, give em to B6. This is probably making AA mad... I LOVE IT!!!!!
Puhdiddle

richierich

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:37 am

Surprise surprise surprise....
None shall pass!!!!

BeltwayBandit

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:38 am

I think it's a mistake for them. December stats show that JetBlue's load factors are slipping down to mere mortal levels and they are only a percentage point or so ahead of Spirit Airlines (which ranked second). They have a good little monopoly at JFK, and I would bet that at least 80% of the seats they sell at LGA will come at the expense of their loads at JFK (unless they are somehow gate-constrained at JFK).

srbmod

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:39 am

They'll get the slots, but they will not be able to build a huge network out of LGA because other airlines will fight them from getting too many slots. The only way JetBlue would be able to grow out of LGA would be if they buy the US Airways Shuttle. JetBlue got a sweetheart deal in regards to JFK slots, but will not get as lucky @ LGA without paying for the slots.

ont 737

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:47 am

We'll get the slots. They have already told us that the LGA's schedules will be out later this spring.

"These exemptions, once finalized into an approved schedule with the FAA, will enable us to offer daily departures from LaGuardia (LGA) to some of our strongest markets, such as those in the Sunshine State of Florida."

"The operation we plan to inaugurate this spring is not intended to, nor will it ever, replace our base of operations at JFK. In New York, JFK is our home and will continue to grow as such. LGA, for now, will simply be limited to a few key destinations designed to alleviate some of the incredible demand on our JFK service while we prepare to build a replacement for Terminal 6."

BeltwayBandit

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:48 am

Maybe they already have a deal (not announced) on the Shuttle and they are looking for the other slots to get better use of the airport. Given that the shuttle at LGA is not with the regular gates, that's not a great plan.

It will be interesting, but I still think it's a mistake.

Jeff G

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:49 am

Bad news for Song. Also bad for US Airways.

Anyway, LGA slots go away in three years. I think this is just establishing a toehold for when the slot controls lift. This also seems a way to hedge their bets in case the new JFK terminal gets bogged down and they flat run out of space there.

ATA767

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:50 am

Bad news for LCC at LGA. The JetBlue brand is very sought after in NYC and with the convenience of LGA there is no stopping them from being a success

MAH4546

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:51 am

This is not a surprise. jetBlue has realized that it is key to serving multiple airports in major markets. They have already confirmed they are seriously considering adding service to Miami/MIA. South Florida is thier second largest customer base outside of New York City, and even though LGA/MIA may be more delayed prone, offering a handful of flights out of those markets allows them to capture more customers, such as those who don't want to deal with the hasssle of driving all the way to LGA/MIA.
a.

JBLUA320

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:56 am

Good news for us New Jersians who dont always like to drive to JFK for jetBlue!!

Here is my question:

With the LGA on-time factor being as disastrous as it is, why would jetBlue want to subject themselves to that? Will they schedule at off-peak times, pad their flight schedule to accomodate for the typical LGA daily traffic jams, or possibly just put up with the commotion?

I dont doubt that jetBlue will be successful (I wish it on them- they are my favorite airline!) but a lot of people dread LGA and who knows if even jetBlue can attract the attention they are looking for... Then again, at this point, its not THAT many seats to fill.

I guess we'll wait and see!

JBLU

as739x

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:58 am

So let the speculation on destinations begin, where will they fly if they get them?
LGA-FLL,LGA-LGB are my first 2 guess's!
ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

scottysair

RE: NW Announce DEN-LAX; More MSP-LAX

Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:58 am

What? When? Were or what?

Can you anyone tell me about jetBlue why want go to LGA? Is that make extra slots into LGA and those are alot of the flight schedules with the airlines. Is that might will able go to FLL or something else with their city.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:03 am

So let the speculation on destinations begin, where will they fly if they get them?
LGA-FLL,LGA-LGB are my first 2 guess's!

No LGA-LGB unless they want to a Saturday-only service, since LGB is way outside the permiter. FLL-LGA is a given, probably 4 dailies. I could then see 2 each to MCO, TPA, and PBI. Nobody flies LGA-RSW, however, so they might give that shot as well.
a.

Kohflot

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:04 am

The real question I have is.. is jetBlue doing this because they want to, or are they doing it because they HAVE to?

Now if they can just hold off on answering that question until some afternoon in May when departure taxi times are pushing 4 hours and flow control is crushing any hope of running inbound flights until the middle of the night...
Ask why..

scottysair

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:11 am

Hey MAH,

Are you sure about these flight to FLL, MCO, TPA & PBI with the florida flight, right? I need with your answer to me about jetBlue going to LGA and why? Is that very busiest airport with overcrowded into their terminal. If I hear get anything with the news from jetBlue. Thanks!  Smile

ATA767

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:15 am

Why not LGA to MIA to kick back at AA. That is a very popular route for them and they have little or no competition on it.

JBLUA320

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:18 am

I dont know if jetBlue would want to do LGA-MIA... even though MIA is a possibility, I doubt jetBlue would try two new "neighboring territories" at the same time..

jetBlue is doing great to Ft. Lauderdale, and American is doing just fine to Miami... and even though its all about competition, why pour oil on the fire- especially in a new territory?

JBLU

PVD757

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:22 am

I wouldn't bet on seeing any transcons from LGA. Thier 7000 ft runways will undoubtedly limit the range of the A320 at full capacity. Coming from someone who works at an airport with short runways, take it from me!

Greg

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:26 am

Good luck to Jet Blue..they are starting to stir the big boys..which is never a good idea.

BTW..not everybody 'loves' B6---I found them to be extraordinarily ordinary the few (three) times I flew them. Our sister firm in New York calls them DeathBlue (I have no idea why since they've never had an accident...).

I'm not sure they need LGA...I'd think the assets could be placed better.

jfklganyc

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:27 am

Go JetBlue!
LGA actually has a lack of Florida flights since US closed up there MetroJet ops. Make no mistake, this also has a lot to do with the ongoing dogfight with AA. Always remember that AA cancelled their JFK-MCO flight because of B6. I can't wait to see what they do when B6 pulls into their turf at LGA.
As for speculation:
LGA-PBI--a definite
LGA-FLL--another definite
LGA-MIA--just to spite AA
LGA-SJU--Sat only service to compete with the ailing US Airways on the only nonstop flight from LGA.

PJ

jeffie813

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:28 am

i agree with MAH - 4 to FLL, and 2 each to PBI, TPA, and MCO. they are giving song a huge run for their money. at PBI, B6 adding their additional flights to JFK (peaking out at 14/day last month), they virtually eliminated song's passenger traffic to JFK. LGA-PBI is still performing well for AA and song, but you can bet that B6 has their eye on those passengers as well.

goingboeing

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:34 am

I guess the beauty of LGA is that if JetBlue doesn't do great on a route and pulls the route, they can always say that the route was only intended to "hold the slots" until something better could be found.

I think it's going to hurt the O&D on their JFK-Florida runs and the overall load factors will drop - which won't be music to Wall Streets ears. I don't think it's particularly wise to operate flights between the same cities out of two different airports.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:43 am

I dont know if jetBlue would want to do LGA-MIA... even though MIA is a possibility, I doubt jetBlue would try two new "neighboring territories" at the same time..

They'd love to. They have already said they wanted to fly to LaGuardia and Miami. They have already applied for LaGuardia slots. It is only a matter of time before they start flying to Miami. It is no longer "if", IMO.

jetBlue is doing great to Ft. Lauderdale, and American is doing just fine to Miami... and even though its all about competition, why pour oil on the fire- especially in a new territory?

MIA and FLL serve the same market. Why do you think AA flies FLL-LGA/LAX/CCS/SDQ/PAP/RDU/BOS/NAS in addition to the hub flights? American is now the second largest carrier at FLL, surpassing Southwest last month. For example, when jetBlue started FLL-LGB, AA quickly went up to four daily FLL-LAX flights.
a.

MaverickM11

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:51 am

"No LGA-LGB unless they want to a Saturday-only service, since LGB is way outside the permiter. FLL-LGA is a given, probably 4 dailies. I could then see 2 each to MCO, TPA, and PBI. Nobody flies LGA-RSW, however, so they might give that shot as well. "

Are you sure 10 slots = 10 roundtrips? At DCA 10 slots = 5 roundtrips...ie AQ applied for 4 slots to operate two SNA-DCA roundtrips.
E pur si muove -Galileo

scottysair

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:55 am

I think so. This is extra slot into LGA & DCA, too. This is exactly they wants go to LGA and why? I am not sure when will begin that flight in/out of LGA flight into Spriing 2004. If I can get it with their press releases news later in the month.

as739x

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:00 am

MAH, thanks I forgot about the perimeter S**t...!
ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

jmacias34

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:06 am

Here is something to consider. Somebody above posted that if B6 opened up shop at LGA that passenger levels at JFK would drop. Would B6 open up cities it doesn't currently serve to avoid losing the passengers from JFK? I know it is remote, especially when NY to FLA is B6's bread and butter. Just thought I would pose this question.

[Edited 2004-01-22 01:11:29]

FLAIRPORT

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:20 am

well..I hope they do LGA and FLL and speed up on it! I need a very low fare and need it before memorial day!

NOTE...this is just speculation, i do not work for jetblue (and they have not made a schedule, anyway, so even if i did work there, i wouldn't know)
Here is what i think could work FLL-LGA:
LGA:6am-FLL:8:50am
FLL:9:35am-LGA:12:25pm

LGA: 9am-FLL:11:50am
FLL:12:35pm-LGA:3:25pm

LGA:1:30pm-FLL:3:20pm
FLL:4pm-LGA:6:50pm

LGA:7:30pm-FLL:10:20pm
FLL:11pm-LGA:1:50am

it could work, but would take some good scheduling!

if they did LGA-MIA, I'd see 1X daily: For MIA, as long as you do not schedule in an AA block or the Europe block, you have the airport to yoursleves. (of course, with AA adding more blocks, it gets harder)

LGA:9am-MIA:12pm
MIA:1pm-LGA:4pm

what about DEN...compete with F9 and take care of a spare plane.
DEP LGA: 7:30pm-DEN:9:50pm
DEP DEN:10:20pm-LGA:4:20am

Also, I could see RSW, PBI, TPA, and/or MCO. Also, if they take over shuttle, would they get those 320s and 318s? If thye take over shuttle, they could get away with every other hour service to BOS and IAD and then expand service.

And I could see a Saturday only LGA-LAS, LGB service.
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

rjpieces

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:29 am

WHY?WHY?WHY?

I think that would be a total waste as most people who might use this LGA service could just as easily fly from JFK. Not to mention LGA's horrible delays and cramped facilities.

If they want to move into a delay prone airport I would pick EWR. Much different customer base than the JFK/LGA one.

My only wonder is if perhaps they are interested in buying the US Shuttle, especially since they just started Boston.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

scottysair

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:30 am

Hey Flairport,

Where did you get with these flight schedules in/out of LGA and somebody please tell me what is going on for jetBlue. How ever did you get with these flight schedules and I didn't see it with their schedules into the www.jetblue.com either. All that I can see with Saturday only nonstop to LAS & LGB, too. It should be wait to see and get it with the press releases is comng out later this month or next the month. Thanks!  Smile

FLAIRPORT

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:34 am

Scottysair,
i clearly stated in my post:

NOTE...this is just speculation, i do not work for jetblue (and they have not made a schedule, anyway, so even if i did work there, i wouldn't know)

but...i did research (song...has on time %, and jetBlue has gate info) and it seems feesible.

OttoPylit

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:49 am

I guess no one saw this section of the press release?

"This press release contains statements of a forward-looking nature which represent our management's beliefs and assumptions concerning future events. Forward-looking statements involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions and are based on information currently available to us. Actual results may differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements due to many factors, including without limitation, potential hostilities in the Middle East or other regions, our ability to implement our growth strategy and our dependence on the New York market, our fixed obligations and our limited operating history, seasonal fluctuations in our operating results, increases in maintenance costs, fuel prices and interest rates, our competitive environment, our reliance on sole suppliers, government regulation, our failure to properly integrate LiveTV or enforce its patents, our ability to hire qualified personnel, the loss of key personnel and potential problems with our workforce including work stoppages, and continuing changes in the airline industry following the September 11th terrorist attacks and the increased risk of future attacks, the potential risks with the delivery, placing into service and integration into our operations of the EMBRAER 190 aircraft as well as the potential liability relating to our handling of customer data. Additional information concerning these and other factors is contained in the Company's Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to, the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q. We undertake no obligation to update any forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release."

If you notice midway down the paragraph it states, "our failure to properly integrate LiveTV or enforce its patents, our ability to hire qualified personnel, the loss of key personnel and potential problems with our workforce including work stoppages." I guess it appears that management does not have much personal faith in their employees. I found it hilarious when I read about the LGA slots and saw that at the bottom. I even have the Yahoo link if anyone would like it.

As far as Jetblue getting the slots at LGA, I am sure they will get them and wish them well, but this is completely against Neeleman's guarantee upon starting Jetblue. I remember shortly after the naming of the airline as well as naming the NY hub, he said that flying from JFK was the only airport that B6 preferred to fly from because the area was screaming for a hometown airline. He said that the other two airports would not be considered because of EWR Continental hometown presence and because of LGA's horrendous operations. The only reason I see for this is because Jetblue has heard that not many New Yorkers like going to JFK when LGA is so much closer to "home" for most. Plus, AA and Song must really by doing quite well from LGA for B6 to come in and try. A day late and a dollar short if you ask me.  Acting devilish
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

FLAIRPORT

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:58 am

he said that flying from JFK was the only airport that B6 preferred to fly from because the area was screaming for a hometown airline.

Times have changed...more airlines (espically LCCs) have moved to LGA and are taking the business. Just something he's gotta do.

jetbluefan1

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:57 am

what about DEN...compete with F9 and take care of a spare plane.

Neelman purposely doesn't compete with Frontier. Therefore, he will not do DEN-LGA. He also has no plans to add more desinations from DEN.

I definitely think the move into LGA was to stop Song from expanding. There's no doubt in my mind. Song has been booming on their operations at LGA. JetBlue won't let them "boom" much more. Even though they will only be able to operate 5 flights (10 slots = 5 flights according to the article), then will most likely do 3 FLL and 2 MCO. These flights are already very busy from JFK, and the flights from LGA won't hurt their loads at JFK. It'll only steal traffic from AA and Song along with attracting people from Westchester, Yonkers and White Plains.

JetBluefan1

scottysair

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:00 am

It would not steal with the passengers on their flight. I still thinking about jetBlue will added with the destination city out of LGA soon and we'll will let you know what is going on for next. Thanks!  Smile

luv2fly

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:09 am

B6 will do fine from LGA, considering you have DL/Song, AA and US all bleeding money like stuck pigs why would you not go there. In business always take out your weakest competitor, and EWR has CO which is doing heads and shoulder above the likes of DL, AA and US.
You can cut the irony with a knife

ATA767

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:55 am

Actually.
Spirit will hurt big time on the LGA-FLL route. The really can not compete unless they really lower their price and then some.

MAH4546

Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:31 pm

The really can not compete unless they really lower their price and then some.

They already have dirt cheap fares and a very popular premium economy cabin (business class seats, coach class service). Also, they are now offering eight daily FLL-LGA flights. Nobody matches thier frequency.
a.

goingboeing

Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:34 pm

mah4546...yeah, but...do they have TV SETS on board???? If they lack TV, how can they ever expect to compete on price alone?

brons2

Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:48 pm

mah4546...yeah, but...do they have TV SETS on board???? If they lack TV, how can they ever expect to compete on price alone?

LOL!!!!!

Sure didn't help B6 in ATL.

Oh and, Herb on line 1 for you.
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

FoxBravo

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:21 pm

OttoPylit,

I guess it appears that management does not have much personal faith in their employees. I found it hilarious when I read about the LGA slots and saw that at the bottom. I even have the Yahoo link if anyone would like it.

The "forward-looking statements" section of the press release is necessary under the U.S. securities laws, basically so that investors can't later sue the company if something in the press release turns out not to happen or to go wrong. It's standard stuff...don't read too much into it!  Smile

Anyway, if JetBlue does get the slots, I'm sure they will have absolutely no problem filling their planes out of LGA. New Yorkers have enthusiastically adopted B6 as their hometown airline, even though LGA is more convenient for many people. So, given that people currently flock to JFK in droves to fly JetBlue, I just see this as one more option and one more reason for people to choose B6 over the competition.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

scottysair

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:26 pm

It didn't not help with ATL either. It was discontinues that both flight LGB & OAK. Maybe someday into the future could be returns to ATL again. Who knows?

FLIBOYZ

Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:32 pm

jetblue jetblue......YAWN......10 slots...Kind of greedy right off the bat huh.....anyway...YAWN....and YES, I don't care for them.

Nothing to discuss there!!!!!

B6FA4ever

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:13 pm

WOW...i'm actually really surprised about this news. I've heard many passengers ask if we will ever fly to LGA. But the whole problem w/ that (as stated above) is the delays that LGA experiences. I am certain DL and AA will do something to try and stop us or something. It'll be interesting to see how the outcome will be AND to where these LGA flights will be headed too. Like some of you mentioned I'm sure FLL and MCO will be a diffenate (spelled?)

SJU may be a possibility...isn't there a big Puerto Rican population in the Bronx area!? and isn't the bronx closer to LGA than JFK? that could be a possibility.

But is it true (like the DCA slots)...10 slots = 5 r/t's?

One good thing about this new added service is that if the flights go well...once 2006 comes along and the slots are lifted at least we'll have a foot in the door to add more flights if necessary!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Also another good thing about this...(again, hopefully the loads are good)...it'll free up some gates at JFK since the morning and the evening are our busiest times. Helps out so that our passengers don't have to wait for a period of time for a gate to open up.

~B6FA4ever

rjpieces

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:18 pm

I still say EWR is a better choice. It caters to the same metropolis but for passengers for whom LGA/JFK is out of the way. If a pax can travel to LGA, they most likely are willing to travel a little while longer to get to JFK.

Of course, B6 wouldn't have a problem having flights from JFK and LGA, I just think EWR is better for now.

Also, any idea what gates they could use at LGA?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

B6FA4ever

Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:22 pm

if EWR was a possibility...i wonder how CO would react..?

for anyone that knows (cause i wasn't following up on this particular question)...did CO (at all) react when Song started flying there?

~B6FA4ever

JBLUA320

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:34 pm

I dont think Continental has done much to front song in EWR... and they dont really need to. CO's loyalty base out of EWR is huge, and well-deserved- they are truly a great airline.

Cant wait to drive only an hour insetad of 90 minutes to fly jetBlue!

JBLU

JGPH1A

Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:46 pm

How much is there in the rumour that B6 want to buy US Airways Shuttle ? (I like the idea very much, and I'm sure B6 could make a real go of it)
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

jetbluefan1

Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:21 pm

Also, any idea what gates they could use at LGA?

Definitely not at the DL/NW terminal, and most likely not the US terminal. Probably the Continental/AC terminal. There's quite a few gates there, and everytime I've passed them (or used them), only half of them are being used.

JetBlue said that they'll operate from two gates at the airport, even with only 5 flights. I guess that's so they can get ahold of space for 2006 when the slot restrictions are shed. This is actually quite a smart idea! But I'd still rather fly out of JFK than LGA...more convenient for where I stay in Long Island.

JetBluefan1