graham697

London(LGW) To Rome Or Florence

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:51 am

Hello all,
My sister is flying from the states to Italy to study Italian, unfortunately the air fares are really expensive, but I thought if I could get her to London on BA that she could then enter the European LCC system for cheaper fares to FCO or FLR. Anyone in Europe that would know the EU LCCs much better? She would leave TPA and arrive at Gatwick, 7:15am on the 23 of May. Her return BA flight is leaving on the 2 of July at 11:20am. She is willing to change airports, but LGW or LHR would be preferred.

thanks again!
graham at TPA
America's Favorite Airport
Looking forward to the new AA

lapper

RE: London(LGW) To Rome Or Florence

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:08 pm

Graham, the only LCCs to Rome from London are easyJet http://www.easyjet.com and Ryanair http://www.ryanair.com Both operate from STN to Ciampino (CIA). The outbound could be done on the same day, but the return would recommend an overnight to ensure connection.

The only airlines from LHR or LGW are BA and AZ.

Hope this is of some help to you.

richardw

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:11 pm

www.meridiana.it have 3 flights per day from LGW-FLR, sometimes they are on special offer.

www.ba.com have flights from LGW-PSA and LGW-FCO and are currently on sale

There is a train From PSA to Florence which takes about an hour.

www.easyjet.com/en has one flight per day from LGW-LIN.

Otherwise there are more flights from STN to PSA on www.ryanair.com and to CIA on easyJet and Ryanair.

eham

Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:18 pm

my advise:

KLM to Amsterdam and then on with Meridiana to Florence, I think KLM has a code-share on the AMS to Florence leg  Big thumbs up

good luck  Smile

graham697

Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:06 am

How long does it take to get through Customs and Immigration at LGW, then get down to the south terminal. I have found that it is cheaper to fly BA to LGW and take Meridiana. Unfortunately, BA and Meridiana are in different terminals, the BA flight arrives at 7:15 and Meridiana leaves at 9:45.
Also how is Meridiana?

thanks again
graham at TPA

richardw

Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:29 am

The terminals are connected by a light rail train and the journey time is about 10 minutes. The time through immigration can be fairly quick, so If the BA plane arrives on time she should make it, but then again there is no guarantee that the BA plane will arrive on time. I would pick the 2nd Meridiana flight of the day from LGW to be on the safe side.

graham697

Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:33 am

The problem with the later flight is it leaves really late. Also, excuse my incompetence with travel in Europe, but if she is traveling to Italy is it international? If it is does she still need to go through customs at Gatwick, but instead pick up her bags and head to the int'l shuttle bus to South terminal to checkin at Meridiana.

graham at TPA