LambertMan
Topic Author

Where Will AA/UA Reallocate The ORD Planes?

Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:41 am

Well, as most of you know there will be cutbacks made by UA and AA at ORD to help ease congestion. My question is where will the two airlines reallocate those planes that would be up in the air but now will be sitting on the tarmac? You would have to assume that most of those planes would be RJ's that will be grounded correct? MIA has to be the obvious candiate for AA and I don't really know where for UA. Before I look completely stupid they will actually move them correct?

AA7573E

RE: Where Will AA/UA Reallocate The ORD Planes?

Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:52 am

A substantial number of the flights will be kept at O'hare, just not in the 1pm to 7:59pm departure window, which is the only restriction that has been imposed on the two carriers at the facility. Look for more early morning and late night departures. Other than that, who knows.
See you up front!

InnocuousFox

Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:15 am

You can also just run them through your other hubs. Let's face it, for most people, what's the difference between:

East US -> ORD -> West US
- and -
East US -> DFW -> West US
- or -
East US -> DEN -> West US

The only people who would not want to swap that are Chicago O&D traffic which is only a very small percentage of what goes through ORD.

Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

ORD747CLE

Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:34 am

InnocousFox - I beg to differ. I highly doube that the Chicago O&D traffic is a "very small percentage of what goes through ORD."

Chicago is the third biggest city in the country (not to mention home to many Fortune 500 companies) do you think everyone flies out of MKE and Gary??

Ord747Cle

InnocuousFox

Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:12 am

"InnocousFox - I beg to differ. I highly doube that the Chicago O&D traffic is a "very small percentage of what goes through ORD."

Chicago is the third biggest city in the country (not to mention home to many Fortune 500 companies) do you think everyone flies out of MKE and Gary??"

You are displaying either a lack of understanding of how a hub works or a simple inability to grasp the mathematics involved.

Chicago O&D = All pax between Chicago and all Feeders = 1 to N
Other O&D = All pax between any Feeder and all other Feeders = N to N

Even if no N is bigger than Chicago, if there are 200 Ns the total O&D between any N to any of the other 199 Ns is likely to be larger than the Ns to Chicago alone.

ordpark

Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:35 pm

AA7573E hit it right on the head....flights will be moved out of that time frame but not out of ORD....most of the flights that will be moved are probably going to be RJ's and look for both UA and AA to upguage equipment on other flights that are still operating in the FAA's restricted period.

The connecting traffic argument is interesting.....don't know the percentages offhand but we connect thousands of psgrs daily at ORD....

airportplan

Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:16 pm

In 2001 55% of ORD's enplanements came from connecting traffic.

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m0EIN/2001_Oct_4/78897915/p1/article.jhtml

InnocuousFox

Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:44 am

"In 2001 55% of ORD's enplanements came from connecting traffic."

Thank you sir... 45% O&D is larger than I expected, but not by much.

DIA

Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:51 am

One word answer for UA's a/c displacement: TED.

If I understand correctly, a lot of the flights to be w/o are A320s. TED will have A320s based out of several cities.

Now this is speculation, especially considering that (posted above) AA and UA might just put the a/c in different time slots.
Ding! You are now free to keep supporting Frontier.

InnocuousFox

Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:59 am

The complicating factor in putting them in different time slots is that it potentially screws up connections. Ideally, each bank has an arrival from each feeder and a departure to each feeder. If you remove one flight to/from destination A (for example) then all the other feeder flights can no longer connect to/from destination A as well in that bank. If you were moving mulitple flights out of a bank, you would want to move them in groups of highly connected O&D pairs. Of course, the time slots (banks) you are moving them TO may already have flights to/from those cities as well... so you would want to move them into the slack time between banks and... wham... you have something that starts to look like a rolling hub, eh?