ouboy79

Great Plains Files Ch11 :(

Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:23 am

::sigh::...Hopefully someone can step in and help Oklahoma out if this fails completely.

Great Plains Airlines files for Chapter 11
2004-01-23
By Adam Wilmoth
The Oklahoman

TULSA - Great Plains Airlines filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on Friday.
The Tulsa-based carrier said it will discontinue all scheduled service during the bankruptcy proceeds and that it will fly charter service only.

"We regret having to make this filing, but we remain committed to our plan of providing direct air service to the people of Oklahoma, New Mexico, Illinois, Tennessee and Washington D.C.," said David A Johnson, the airlines' chairman and chief executive.

Great Plains operated for more than two years with only two aircraft, losing as much as $800,000 a month, but the carrier reduced that loss in 2003 by reducing its work force and adding three new aircraft last month. ¶

OPNLguy

RE: Great Plains Files Ch11 :(

Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:41 am

Sorry to hear it...

If that A&P mechanic from San Antonio who went to Tulsa reads this (your name and email escape me at the moment), please contact me...

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

N766UA

Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:32 am

Not surprising. It's sad to see yet another Dornier operator go under, though. I really liked those props.
This Website Censors Me

mopac

Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:27 am

Hey OPNLguy, are you talking about the guy who was gonna start up a regional carrier based at SAT... Mustang Express I think they were gonna call it... he used to work for Fairchild? Or is this a different guy?

OPNLguy

Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:41 am

Guy I'm thinking about used to be an A&P at Fairchild, and went to GP in TUL. Had spoken with him about a big 737 operator in between...  Big grin
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

mariner

Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:46 am

It's very sad for the people who have lost their jobs, but it wasn't exactly unpredictable.

The business plan was never really workable, and they've lost a lot of state/city money:

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/business/ap/ap_story.html/Financial/AP.V1574.AP-Great-Plains-Ba.html

They'll have to do some pretty nifty tap dancing to get out of Chapter 11.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Jj

Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:53 am

OPNLguy aren't you talking about TechRep ??? I think he worked in Great Plains, and in Fairchild previously...

OPNLguy

Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:57 am

That's him...

Goy an email for him, or is he still here on a.net?

mopac

Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:58 am

OPNLguy- Yeah, likely a different guy. Lots of career Fairchild folks still out of work, even today unfortunately.

Hope all of the GP employees find new gigs quick.

mfricke

Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:20 pm

It's a shame, I always hate to see an airline go out of business. I flew then for fun back in April on an AUS-TUL-OKC routing. I try to fly as many airlines as I can, and I kind of foresaw this coming. Well, I guess Chapter 11 is not Chapter 7, so good luck to them!
ONT - Southern California's Ontario!

freshlove1

Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:31 pm

If your looking for work im sure MESA will hire you from what I hear they have people flying their CRJ's that are fresh off the street and have very few hours.

KKMolokai

Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:48 pm

AA is accepting Great Plains tickets for *standby* travel. There is a $25 service charge. Original travel dates/itinerary (as purchased from Great Plains) cannot be altered/changed.

Affected Great Plains passengers *must* call AA Reservations (800-433-7300) to flight list (standby) prior to arriving at the airport. A $25 service fee and a waiver release will be collected at the AA ticket counter upon check-in.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

Type-Rated

Sat Jan 24, 2004 1:51 pm

Wasn't that also TechRep that was going/did interview with JetBlue for a trainers position? I don't think I've seen a post from him since. He always has something pretty interesting to say.....

Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

sprxflySWA

Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:13 pm

All I can say is it is about time. How they managed this long escapes me!
They served the thinnest O & D routes I can think of, that have any chance of succeeding,that is.
The way they started,quit cities, and always revamping their schedule, no surprise at all.
Does this include Rio Grande Airways in ABQ, or are they separate?
This is one airline that should have been on everyone's list of over ambitious plans for an airline thread.
Needless to say, I was no fan!

I do feel bad for the ex employees. Reminds me when I would talk to MarkAir employees prior to their demise. Real uncertainty of job stability.

Lt-AWACS

Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:41 pm

Hmmm I flew them OKC-BLV (Scott AFB/Bellville far east St Louis) around Thanksgiving, packed airplane, and easy service into BLV, but I am not surprised. Of course the only reason I flew them was a fare sale. Here was the email I got from them:

""""Dear Shareholders and Friends of Great Plains:

Great Plains Airlines has filed to reorganize under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. We have suspended scheduled flight service effective January 24th 2004. While we regret this suspension of scheduled service, January and February are historically weak months for the industry. We will continue our charter operations as we work through the reorganization plan. Fortunately, we have strong charter bookings for the remainder of January, February and March. We anticipate being able to return to scheduled service by March.

As you know, Great Plains has faced a number of challenges as a result of the general economic slowdown and the events of September 11, 2001. In addition, for some time we have struggled with certain engine issues on the 328 Fairchild Dornier jets, which have resulted in significant down time for our jet aircraft and a reduced level of service for our passengers. In addition, this has had a significant negative impact on our financials. Because of these issues and our inability, to date, to negotiate a reduction in the debt for these aircraft on our balance sheet, we are in the process of turning the aircraft back to the bank.

While for many months, we were having difficulty in obtaining aircraft, this issue has been alleviated by a division of Daimler Chrysler that is providing us with Fairchild Dornier Propjets. We now have two in service and are expecting an additional four aircraft in February. Subsequently, we expect approximately 2 aircraft per month.

Our principal issue is obtaining sufficient working capital to put the aircraft into service. We went out with a new PPM in late December. We are projected to be profitable in 2004 and expect to be at break even before mid-year. However, two sources of funding that were expected in January did not materialize on schedule. This has created a temporary short-term funding difficulty for the airline. While we expect this to be rectified by March, if not before, we determined that this along with the jet aircraft issue required that the airline seek Chapter 11 protection.

We expect to be able to come out of this reorganization as a strong regional airline with an improved balance sheet and financials. This should position us to return to our scheduled service with new cities and improved frequency.

We recognize that these actions will affect you and we regret that it was necessary for Great Plains to take this action.

We are committed to keeping you informed of developments at Great Plains Airlines. The developments about our reorganization will be posted on our website at www.gpair.com. Further, we will send you a letter about our progress from time to time. In the meantime, if you have any questions about this matter, please feel free to contact me at david.johnson@gpair.com.

Sincerely,

David A. Johnson
Chairman and CEO"""""

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Yankee Air Pirate
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

wgw2707

Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:48 pm

This is extremely unfortunate. Hopefully they will be able to emerge. The CEO made it sound as though this would be a short term bankruptcy. BTW is it likely Great Plains stock will be cancelled?

-WGW2707

contrails

Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:54 am

"Charter service only". Where have I heard that before?

This is a real bummer. I had hoped they would make it.

Flying Colors Forever!

KKMolokai

Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:19 am

Rumor has it, an unidentified firm wants to buy Great Plains, and part of the term was they'd have to file for bankruptcy by 23JAN. Again, this is just what I heard at work this morning.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

Lt-AWACS

Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:21 am

THe local OKC paper said in a Tulsa dateline that the two 328Jets were withdrawn, almost a month ago, due to MX issues and the Engine repairs were delayed. I believe from reading this article it is a private company with no stock.

Ciao, and Hook 'em Horns,
Capt-AWACS, Uncle Sam's AWAX, the best shine for your jet
Io voglio fica ogni giorni da mia bella moglie!

SunValley

Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:30 am

Kkmolokai, I have heard this as well, and I do believe it is the group wanting to give re-birth to Cascade Airways.

mariner

Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:59 am

I'm wondering what anyone would buy - other than the Air Operating Certificate, which would have a fair dollat value.

The planes are leased, the routes are available to anyone, the company is mortgaged to the hilt and has a deal of ill will attached to it. I have read that several of the city/states groups that gave the airline financial backing feel that they were misled.

But that AOC - now someone could be interested in that.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

SunValley

Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:10 am

Mariner, I do believe that the interested parties are only interested in the
operating certificate which does have value. The "rumor" will run rampant, but 2 carriers looking for an operating certificate right now are the group wanting
start the "new" Cascade Airways, and also Ed Beauvais and his airline out of PIT (which has been said to be called SkyAmerica) Other than that,
I'm sure the aircraft will be returned to their lessors. The operating certificate I believe is the one that the reborn Ozark had.

mariner

Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:35 am

SunValley:

We agree, but the potential bidders surprise me very slightly. Did Sir Richard Branson ever get his AOC for Virgin USA?

I wonder how much business there is out of OKC? Part of the problem (withe the backers) appears to be that Great Plains promised service to the coasts, but never delivered those routes.

Is OKC to LA or NYC viable?

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

Okie

Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:00 am

Yes, but you have to have enough planes to have viable schedules. You can't have planes leave OKC-TUL in the am and go to the left or right coast and sit at the gate for 6hrs and then do the return trip, or as in the case of Great Plains have a Noon or so return flight.
They would hop into a market with hope/hype/and the blessing of the local communities and by the time I would find a reason to book a flight with them to that location they would have pulled out, it was like trying to hit a moving target. There schedules were not very business oriented as far as I was concerned. I just generally rely on later in the day return flights to OKC an just would not invest in another days lodging to take a 1:00 pm return flight unless of course maybe the Concorde or something.
They have had trouble everywhere they turned whether it be financing, or aircraft, but I have to admit they have plenty of optimism.

Okie

SunValley

Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:00 am

Viable yes, but not with an airline like GP. It would have to be a
point to point operation through AA or CO or DL or something of that nature.
Filling 38 out of 50 seats on an CRJ 5 days a week would be reliant upon fairly high yield
fares. The OKC and TUL market have extremely high loyalty to frequent flyer mileage. There would be no feed to the flight & it would be completely reliant on O & D traffic to either market, so you wouldnt even have a fare dilusion of "something" for feed, just an empty seat that carries no revenue.One flight per day in those markets would not satisfy the business community-It would have to have a mulitple frequency. The state of OK would have been far better off to have subsidized a major operator to LA & NYC utilizing a CRJ or ERJ, rather than investing in a start up carrier such as Great Plains.

SegmentKing

Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:30 am

I wonder how much money the Mid America Airport folks have lost.. didn't they have some level of subsidy for a while?

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

mariner

Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:13 am

SegmentKing:

There's an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch which lays out some of the Mid America financial involvement.

The url for the actual article is so long that I don't think it will fit on this page, so use this -

http://www.stltoday.com/business

= and scroll down to business headlines - you'll see the article there.

There's also an interstiung figure in a Tennessee newspaper which says that GP's l/f out of Nashville was about 25%.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

MAH4546

Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:48 am

Continental Express flies both OKC-EWR and TUL-EWR. American Airlines flew TUL-LAX for a while between 2000 and 2002.
a.

sprxflySWA

Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:30 pm

Maybe Southeast Airlines will star BLV flights.  Big grin
Or TransMeridian, Allegiant, Hooters, or another well established carrier!!

sprxflySWA

Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:35 pm

That is supposed to say starT!

No disrespect to the above airlines, but it seems too many airports (BLV,GYY,YNG,RFD) are setting their sights too low with said airlines. Like with Vacation Express to YNG, who the hell is going to fly their 4x/week schedule? Certainly not the business folks that are the ones cities should be aiming for. I can't imagine that service lasting too long.
These places are putting up all sorts of money for some questionable services, in my opinion.
I am just glad that I don't live in a city that has to beg or pay for air service.
Just do not see why these places don't go to an "old guard" or well-established LCC that has a good track record in its cities that it serves.
Anyway, that is all.

freshlove1

Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:38 pm

Ah yes if you are in financial trouble and can be had for a cheap price Johnathan Orienstein will buy you and "welcome" you into the MESA family. Just look what he has done in the past. Aquired Florida Gulf, Liberty Express, Midway, Air Midwest, just to name a few, Oh yeah forgot about CCAir which was run into the ground, he also is looking into Piedmont/Allegheney if USAirways has to sell things so he can get the DASH-8's for the United operation. So there night be hope for Great Plains if Johnny O gets word.

Krags

Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:40 pm

Yes, but not with some half assed attempt. Great Plains never had a solid schedule and didn't pick the best destinations to start with. I'm from Tulsa and most people here had never even heard of them. Like someone else said earlier, people here are very loyal to their frequent flyer programs. AA,DL and WN carry the most passengers out of this city and people here would rather suffer a connection than lose out on the FF miles. Great Plains should have entered into an agreement with some of the bigger carriers to allow miles to be earned. It also should have started out with larger planes, better destinations and more frequencies. The state of Oklahoma lost money on this venture. I would bet a hundred dollars that the airline will go chapter 13 within months if not sooner.

ouboy79

Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:27 pm

A few thoughts on everything posted.

Vacation Express to YNG is not meant for business flyers. It is for people who want to go to Orlando on...vacation. Imagine that.

Oklahoma can support service to the major cities on either coast...its just a matter of getting the service there. The State does offer tax breaks to any airline that offers the service. The problem is getting an airline to offer the service.

Great Plains had a good idea, but the wrong planes and routes. I mean...flights from OKC to ABQ, TUL, BNA, COS, AUS, BLV...and the batch from TUL and BLV to MDW and IAD...all were pretty poorly planned. My reorganization idea...

Skip the dual "hub" operation from OKC and TUL and just have OKC as the main city. Acquire a fleet of 70-130 seat jets...there are plenty of used MD-80s or 737s out there. If the need is there for short hops flights...acquire some used props either old Saabs or even some ATRs. Operate nonstop service to IAD, JFK, BOS. MCO/SFB, FLL, MSY, AUS, STL/BLV, MDW, COS, ABQ, BNA, LAS, LAX, SAN, SFO, PDX, and SEA. Not all at once of course...but a gradual increase in service.

With that said...it would appear some airlines would be able to offer such services already...carriers like American, Southwest, and even Alaska or TransMeridian could do some of the cities. TMA is coming in to offer service to SFB and LAS - perhaps they could be persuaded to offer other nonstop services. However, the only draw back is that TMA is more of a "vacation" airline and not a business airline. It'll come down to what type of passenger you want. Naturally Southwest could provide a lot of the service mentioned above...but they have been cutting back in OKC as the other airlines continue to grow.

Okie

Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:46 am

I was wondering what were the technical problems were that they were having on the 328jet w/ pw306b engine.
Was it something waiting on an engineering solution or something waiting on a financial solution?

pilotpip

Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:56 am

The story at BLV was that parts were simply not available. Great Plains was flying the crud out of their aircraft and had more on order. My manager is also the manager of the ground ops at BLV and our company had to lay some people off right after Christmas due to the fact that the airline was reducing flights from 8 to 2 per day because the fleet couldn't keep up. Most flights were full and the passengers were extremely happy with the service. Parts availability killed this airline.

When the first cutback was announced, it was only temporary because they were expecting four new aircraft from AvCraft(the company that now owns Dornier and the 328) in April. These aircraft would help ease the stress placed on the small fleet. Unfortunately, a small airline can't afford to go that long without equipment or support for the stuff they already have.
DMI

TechRep

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:36 pm

OPNLguy,

Hello OPNLguy I am the person who worked at Fairchild/Dornier and Great Plains. Great Plains laid-off 127 employees and 47 now remain. I am still employed but for how long I do not know.

This is now two companys in a row that have gone BK for me. God I love aviation!!!!

TechRep

LMP737

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:06 am

Techrep:

Hopefully things will work out for you. With your resume I'm sure someone will pick you up if you have to leave Great Plains.

"God I love aviation!!!"

I have sort of an idea on how you feel.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

sprxflySWA

Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:46 am

Ouboy79,

That is exactly my point. Why would a city's leadership waste time and money to lure such an airline operation?
Why not try and get someone who someone from the rest of the world you could actually fly into YNG. What is the leadership of YNG hoping for, $69 trips to SFB? Who the hell cares about that?
I would want an airline that will offer services that are more beneficial to YNG folks. Say, someone who wants to go to SEA for business, or HNL for vacation, they'll do what they do now, go to PIT or CLE.Yeah, that stimulates business in Youngstown. Whatever service YNG gets from these folks will be it for the future as far as this airline is concerned.
I think people in YNG should be upset that they wasted $$ attracting such a service.

ScottB

Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:26 am

Ouboy79,

The problem with the OKC-based carrier you propose is that many of those markets you list couldn't even support more one 70-seat RJ at a 70% load factor per day. Look at the O&D numbers for daily passengers each way (picking 3Q02 for summer peak numbers):
ABQ-OKC: 26
AUS-OKC: 44
BOS-OKC: 35
COS-OKC: 11
FLL-OKC: 28
BNA-OKC: 42
SFO-OKC: 26 (OAK-OKC is 35 and SJC-OKC is 32)

The following markets could support 1 daily 70-seat jet at 70% loads (assuming 100% market share):
MSY-OKC: 49
SAN-OKC: 64
PDX-OKC: 52

These markets could support 2 daily 70-seat RJ's at 70% loads (assuming 100% market share):
WAS-OKC: 83
NYC-OKC: 95
CO / KMCO), USA - Florida">MCO-OKC: 84
STL-OKC: 145 (this could support 3)
ORD/MDW-OKC: 110
LAS-OKC: 101
LAX-OKC: 98
SEA-OKC: 80

Problem is that you'd be competing with WN to STL, AA & UA to ORD, CO to NYC, and one-stop/connecting service on WN (low fares) to LAS & LAX (these are your best markets). Moreover, with only one or two daily flights, it would be difficult to offer a schedule that would be attractive to higher-yield passengers. Non-stops are nice, but greater frequency is usually more important. And you'd have trouble being cost-competitive with WN to cities they serve.

This is not meant as criticism of Great Plains' employees or the quality of service, but the business plan was marginal to start with and poorly implemented. Their stated goal was to operate non-stops to the coasts from Oklahoma, and yet acquiring Ozark II and its 328Jets made no sense in accomplishing that, given insufficient range to reach even IAD (not to mention NYC or LAX) from TUL or OKC. They operated a bunch of marginal short-range routes (basically the ones poorly/not served non-stop by Southwest) with weak traffic and fare structures set by WN. And then they decided to start a whole new hub at BLV! Now while it's certainly possible that they could have made BLV work, it still doesn't fit in with the goal of providing better air service to Oklahomans, and growth/profitability at BLV would always be limited by the presence of WN and AA at STL.

I hope they make it out of bankruptcy -- if only so that TechRep gets to keep his job. But the whole Oklahoma airline idea just doesn't strike me as being workable when you look at the traffic numbers.

Okie

Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:27 pm

Scottb,
I don't doubt your numbers there, but the online airport guide for OKC shows about 3.2 million passengers per year which maybe a streach from my experience. That would average about 8,700 passengers per day (which seems a little high). According to your numbers of about 1,100 to destinations you listed that leaves about 6,600 going elsewhere. I don't think 3Q02 would be a good representation due to 9-11.
In anycase the Great Plains situation just gives a prime example of the amount of money required to start up, operate, and get an airline's head above water without the support of the larger markets to cherry pick from.
My hats are off to those Great Plains employees, I hope they can get things back on track
Best of luck there Techrep

Okie

ScottB

Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:02 pm

Okie-

I only addressed the markets that Ouboy79 listed (i.e. the ones that are "underserved" with respect to non-stops). Most of OKC's biggest markets have non-stop service -- DAL/DFW, MCI, IAH/HOU, DEN, STL, ORD/MDW, ATL, PHX, and most have multiple carriers.

As far as the numbers I gave, double them to reconcile with OKC's statistics (which count enplanements and deplanements), add about 3000 daily for the biggest markets which are mostly network/WN hubs, and the rest are either passengers connecting to hundreds of other markets (in small numbers to each) or WN passengers connecting from MCI or STL to DAL at OKC to get around the Wright Amendment restrictions.

paulinbna

Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:12 pm

I really liked there color scheme It would change from blue to purple depending on the way the light hit it. I have one picture on the DB of them

[Edited 2004-01-30 09:19:32]
Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

paulinbna

Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:18 pm

Here it is:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Paul Robbins

Canon 50D user; 100-400 MM L IS 10-22 MM, 60MM Macro

Okie

Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:58 am

Thanks for the help there Scottb, the numbers make more sense now.
I went through the airport Monday the 26th out on Mesaba/NW which is right next to the Great Plains ticket counter and the lights were on but nobody was home.

Okie

sprxflySWA

Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:40 am

As of Wednesday, there was still a Great Plains sign on the US Airways baggage carousel at IAD. It is not attached, so maybe someone should "acquire" it as a souvenir.

Okie

Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:06 am

here we go, but does not say anything in particular about Great Plains

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/040130/1408000807_1.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos