timz

Do US Airlines Fly Over Cuba?

Wed Jan 19, 2000 1:56 am

Lots of US airline flights would fly over Cuba if they could, to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Panama and S America. Do they? Does Cuba charge a fee? If so, can the airlines pay without violating the embargo?

Pilot1113

RE: Do US Airlines Fly Over Cuba?

Wed Jan 19, 2000 2:23 am

As I understand it, all US airlines are not permitted to fly anywhere near Cuba. This includes over it. Thus, the flights have to take a longer route to their destination. That's why if you want to go to from Boston to Costa Rica you have to cross over Texas on your way over there.

I hope this helps.

- Neil Harrison

OPNLguy

Cuban Overflights..

Wed Jan 19, 2000 2:46 am

Actually, with prior coordination and approval from the Cuban government, you can overfly Cuba via the Giron or Maya corridors that run north-south across the island. Stray outisde the corridor and they get a little miffed, and might even send up a Mig or two depending upon the political climate d'jour. If they're really pissed off, sometimes the close the corridors and everyone had to deviate around their airspace...

Don't know how much an overflight costs, as that aspect was handled by out finance department.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

OPNLguy

Cuban Overflights..

Wed Jan 19, 2000 2:46 am

Actually, with prior coordination and approval from the Cuban government, you can overfly Cuba via the Giron or Maya corridors that run north-south across the island. Stray outisde the corridor and they get a little miffed, and might even send up a Mig or two depending upon the political climate d'jour. If they're really pissed off, sometimes the close the corridors and everyone had to deviate around their airspace...

Don't know how much an overflight costs, as that aspect was handled by out finance department.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

scxmechanic

Wed Jan 19, 2000 5:40 am

I know for a fact, my airline flies over Cuba on a regular basis. They have to have an authorization code or something similar to a slot code, like what would be used at major airports. It is usually listed on the flight plans that guys OPNLguy generate for the crews.

As a matter of fact, I will be flying from MSP to Havana Cuba this coming weekend and the next. (22nd and 29th.) We have a special charter going down. The first trip I make, we will have about 5 hrs on the ground before flying back to MSP.

Just another stamp in the ole passport...  )

calpilot

Wed Jan 19, 2000 8:28 am

I fly over Cuba all the time, the controlers are great, their English is very good, and they give me the impresion they don't care were we are in the corridor. When you check in they don't really care about all the reporting points, except the enterance, and exit of the FIR.

Wed Jan 19, 2000 9:07 am

...and at my airline. We usually go through Air Routing in Houston for our Cuban overflight permits. As I understand it, the embargo is avoided by depositing the overflight money (about $2500, I think) in a Canadian account. The overflight permit number from Cuban authorities is put in the remarks section of the filing strip, and as long as the flightplan is through the corridor that you were approved for, there shouldn't be any problems. ADIOS

Boeing727

Wed Jan 19, 2000 9:22 am

A friend of mine flew with a UPS B727QF (charter flights on the weekend) from Louisville via Nashville to Aruba and they had to fly around Cuba; I suppose they did not get authorization to use the corridors other people have mentioned.

Boeing727

CaymanCX

Wed Jan 19, 2000 10:59 am

I havent read all of the replies, but Pilot 1113 is wrong. Back in 1997 I flew from Baltimore (BWI) nonstop to Grand Cayman (GCM) on a course that took us over the Atlantic, through the Bahamas, over Cuba, and approaced G Cayman from the north, down 7Mile Beach, and into Owen Roberts Airport. I tried to post a photo I took of Cuba from the 737-300, but the quality wasn't good enough, (I was over the wing!). Coincidentally, we flew over Cuba AGAIN on the return flight, also USAirways, a 737-400 that time.

Take a flight to the Caribbean, the views from the air are fabulous!
Cuba, however, wasn't too spectacular. The part we flew over was mostly
farmland, I beleive - not too gorgeous!!

Cheers,
Patrick.
"Insert generic statement here."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos