YV136C
Topic Author

Can't Travel To The US With A Renewed Passport?

Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:13 pm

Hi,

I had an annoying yet interesting experience today: As some of you may know in some Latin American countries you can get your passport that expires after 5 years, but then you can renew it over and over again until death do you part. This was my case, I was flying to MIA today on VH with the same passport I've always used which has been renewed a few times. The issue is that according to some new US immigration law, you cannot enter the US with a passport that at any given moment had expired for more than 5 years. Big problem for me because my passport expired for the first time back in 1991 and I renewed it in 1997 (6 years there....), and even though it has been renewed until 2007, the passport is no good. So now, I have to get a new passport to travel to the US but my American Visa is still valid EVEN THOUGH it's not on the same passport that I should use. Can anyone please explain this?? Does anybody know what purpose is served by this?
Here in Venezuela you have to almost kill someone to get a new passport, you'd probably have to pay up to US$ 100 to get a new one, so I'm kinda stuck right now.

Anyone have answers on this?

Luis
YV136C
Proud to work for Embraer FLL!

poh2

RE: Can't Travel To The US With A Renewed Passport?

Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:56 pm

Hola Luis,

I had the same situation when entering MIA this last June. My US visa is in my old passport, yet it didn't seem to be a problem. I just handed the immigration officer both of my passports (the old and the new one) and explained that the visa was still in the old one. It wasn't a problem at all. However, that was in June 2003, so it may have changed since then.

Saludos,
Patrick
"Life is too short to take everything seriously."

Olympus69

Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:32 pm

Do you have to keep getting new photos when you renew your passport several times? You're going to be hard to identify when you're 80 if your passport photo was taken when you were 18  Smile

mozart

Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:46 pm

Luis,

just don't get a new passport right now. Wait a bit, the US is coming up with some new security rules all the time to keep terrorists like you and me out. I heard the next rule will be that the paper used for your passport cannot be thicker than 0.3 millimeters  Nuts

Sorry I cannot be of help, but some of these anti-terrorism rules just insult people's common sense.

mjszanto

Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:57 pm

Sounds like a reasonable if annoying precaution to me. Passports commonly get stolen or sold, and then can be appropriated by terrorists or others who would use them for illicit purposes.

[Edited 2004-01-26 11:05:56]

nudelhirsch

Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:00 pm

Hi,

I am doing all the Visa stuff at the moment, here in Germany, to enter US.

To enter the States, by now You need a "new" paasport, which can be read by their computers. It's possible, that when You got Your apssport like 10 years ago or so, it would not be usable for US-immigration. If You have a visa attached to Your passport, Your local authority can detach it and the put it into the new passport, or the embassy of US would do that, but it's possible.

Maybe that helps...
Putana da Seatbeltz!

JGPH1A

Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:10 pm

Don't worry, soon the US authorities will require all visitors to be cryogenically frozen, barcoded and shipped in styrofoam containers by Fedex, to avoid possible hijacking. Hey, it works for Maine lobsters...
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

voodoo

Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:32 pm

And of course the 911 terrorists had: perfectly valid passports/visas/etc.
` Yeaah! Baade 152! Trabi of the Sky! '

cadet93

Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:19 pm

I have the same problem with my Brazilian visa in my passport. The visa is in my old passport, which is canceled and the new passport has no visa. So I have to travel with both passports to go into Brazil. It hasn't been a problem, as I have my picture and signature in both passports. But not sure what the US is going to do to people coming into the country like that. I would hope that showing both documents would be sufficient.

Cessna172RG

Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:25 pm

And you wonder why people like me go to Japan to get married and work on a Spouse Visa for the duration of this "Security Hiatus"...
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

YV136C
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:32 am

Guys,

thanks for the replies, after a very long and exhausting day I finally got my new passport and I'm leaving tomorrow.

Luis
YV136C
Proud to work for Embraer FLL!

jcs17

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:07 am

Most importantly, you will need a passport that can be scanned.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!