FlyingBanker
Topic Author

WAY Above And Beyond

Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:53 pm

I just have to say, this being from a fellow customer service rep.....WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW Southwest rep Mike at LAX. Watching the episode of "Airline" tonight where Mike helped a elderly couple flying to ABQ tonight made my jaw drop. Here was a man and woman who showed up for their flight, the man had defecated on himself before the flight. Mike not only got their bags off, but helped clean the man up, change him, and get him on the flight. As far as I know his job description ended at denying them boarding. This was amazing to me, I work in a call center so I don't have the chance to "interact" in this way, (thank god) but I think he went so far beyond that it is just WOW. I don't actually have anything else to say. The main purpose of this thread was, how many of you out there in Airliners.net land have had someone go way way way way way, I am talking just crazy out of the way for you? Also airline employees out there, it is your chance to toot your horn, what have you been up to?

bobb

RE: WAY Above And Beyond

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:59 am

Well, I don't know what the majors tell their employees, I don't fly them enough. But Southwest has always placed customer service as a big thing in their business strategy, not just as an afterthought, or sounds-nice but don't follow-thru.

Look at it from Mike's point of view. The company encourages you to do that. The passengers are elderly, you have to re-arrange their travel anyway. If you are going to call their relatives, or an outside agency, and make sure that they get on the next flight, may as well go all the way. And if you have a mother with altheimer, well, what else are you gonna do?

Now if you are a businessperson who missed your flight and run up to me and ask me to do more for you. I would only do so if I have the time, and would not go beyond. To me, there is a difference between people who truly need help and people who didn't do their job and now almost demand that you recue them. Ask nicely and maybe, if time permits, it will probably happend.