ouboy79

Improve Safety, De-Ice Passengers!

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:27 am

After dropping a family member off at TOL this morning I noticed something that really didn't look right. A certain airline that flies west of Toledo started de-icing their plane while the aircraft was boarding (and loading bags). Now I could understand sweeping the wings off, and dumping the green/orange snot all of it...but spraying down passengers and bags to reduce dangers from icing? What have we come to.  Smile

I could only imagine the dry cleaning bills the airline is going to have to pay for. Hopefully no one ingested too much...geeez.

futureualpilot

RE: Improve Safety, De-Ice Passengers!

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:33 am

Were they getting the fluid on the passengers?

Maybe they were trying to save time because they were running late...who knows!?
Life is better when you surf.

Goose

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:34 am

Was this a ground-loading station?

I've ingested and breathed in a good lot of deice fluid in my time as a Ramper - both Type I and Type IV. No difficulties at all.....none.... *twitch*  Nuts
"Talk to me, Goose..."

ouboy79

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:52 am

This was a kickoff flight...so if they were running late, it was their own fault.

The aircraft was a turboprop - so it was ground loaded.

Goose

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:03 am

The aircraft was a turboprop - so it was ground loaded.

There's quite a few turboprops that can be loaded on jetways like any other airliner - the Q series (Dash-8) comest o mind. The difference in ground clearance between a Dash and a MD-80 isn't much.......

Anyway.... the stuff's harmless. Just don't drink it.
"Talk to me, Goose..."

prebennorholm

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:18 am

To spray the passengers and/or their bags with de-icing fluid, tar, horse s**t or similar things is probably one very efficient way to downsize an airline.

Apart from that, de-icing fluid is not dangerous in case you don't drink too much of it. The "worst" part of it (polypropylene glycol) is what Austrian wineries put into their wine some fifteen years ago in order to improve the taste. (They ended that practice when it got known). Most of the rest (glycerine) will only improve a hard stomach.

Well, too much "improvement" can also create a minor "problem". Especially nowadays when - in order to fight terrorism - we are no longer allowed to queue up at the lav.  Big thumbs up

Happy landing, Preben Norholm
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

redngold

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:34 am

Harmless... except if anyone has pets at home that might want to sit on his/her clothing afterwards. Deicing fluid is lethal to most housepets including cats and dogs.
Up, up and away!

ouboy79

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:21 am

The airline does not do jetbridge loading in TOL, so they are required to board from the ramp.

I think the big issue here is spraying the plane while both cabin and cargo doors were open with passengers and bags on the ramp. I'm sure you wouldn't like to be walking to your plane and then get sprayed with glycol.

Goose

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:00 am

Apart from that, de-icing fluid is not dangerous in case you don't drink too much of it. The "worst" part of it (polypropylene glycol) is what Austrian wineries put into their wine some fifteen years ago in order to improve the taste. (They ended that practice when it got known). Most of the rest (glycerine) will only improve a hard stomach.

Polypropylene glycol is also found in Dr. Pepper......
"Talk to me, Goose..."

xjramper

Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:02 pm

Glycol is found in conditioners and hand-creams as well.

We spray for this certain airline. I was there this morning but I did not drive, my lead agent did. My lead agent is more rule conscious than I am, and I pretty much follow the letter. Either you saw the truck down there right after they started up the engine and the smoke pour out of the engine thinking it was glycol being sprayed or I don't know what else. Besides the de-icer has to get the aircraft configed. for de-icing signal from the capt before spraying.

just my .03

XJR
Look ma' no hands!