wirraway

Qantas Named Airline Of The Year By Air Transport

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:07 am

January 26, 2004 03:44 PM US Eastern Timezone

Qantas Named Airline of the Year by Air Transport World Magazine

WASHINGTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 26, 2004--Penton Media (OTCBB:PTON)

Air Transport World Magazine, the leading monthly magazine covering the global airline industry, selected Australian carrier Qantas as its Airline of the Year for 2004. The editors praised "the carrier's relentless focus on excellence in the air combined with leanness and flexibility on the ground."

ATW Editorial Director J.A. Donoghue added: "Any airline that can increase profits during the Asian Currency Crisis and remain profitable after 9/11 and last year's SARS outbreak is certainly made of the right stuff."

Other award winners include Chautauqua, selected as ATW's Regional Airline of the Year. The Indianapolis-based regional partner of American, Delta and US Airways was cited for its ability to sustain profitability since 2000 while its traffic since 1999 grew more than 900%.

Singapore Airlines received the Passenger Service Award. ATW's editors said, "In an age in which airlines are delivering less and less service, Singapore Airlines never stops reaching for the skies, always on the lookout for new ways to satisfy its customers."

Siberia Airlines received ATW's Market Leadership Award. ATW editors said the Russian carrier "used Western business tools of merger, acquisition and partnership" to become the largest domestic airline in Russia, and second largest overall in the country.

Delta Air Lines of Atlanta received ATW's Airline Technology Leadership Award for the work its Delta Technology subsidiary has done completely re-inventing the airline's technology infrastructure, creating its instant-access Delta Nervous System.

Aer Lingus, the Irish flag carrier based in Dublin, was picked to be the first recipient of the new ATW Phoenix Award, presented to an airline that has successfully left behind an old, failing business model to reinvent itself as a low-fare airline more likely to survive in today's brutal airline markets.

The awards will be presented in Singapore at Air Transport World's Gala Awards Dinner on Monday, February 23, at the Swissotel Singapore.

(Air Transport World is the leading monthly magazine serving the airline and commercial aircraft manufacturing industries. The magazine began its annual awards program in 1974 to recognize excellence in the airline and commercial aerospace industries. Air Transport World is published by Ohio-based Penton Media (OTCBB:PTON), a diversified, global business-to-business media company.)

============================================

chrisrad

RE: Qantas Named Airline Of The Year By Air Transp

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:38 am

Qantas Named Airline of the Year by Air Transport World Magazine
I can't beleive it, how awful

Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

QANTASforever

RE: Qantas Named Airline Of The Year By Air Transport

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:46 am

I can't beleive it, how awful

Why so glum? Chrisrad - remember this: ATW Editorial Director J.A. Donoghue added: "Any airline that can increase profits during the Asian Currency Crisis and remain profitable after 9/11 and last year's SARS outbreak is certainly made of the right stuff."

And never a truer word was spoken.

I congratulate Qantas on this award and wish them all the best in the future.

QantasFOREVER
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

VHTAE

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:51 am

Great news for a great airline. GO QANTAS.

TBCITDG

Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:24 pm

Great one QF. Congratsssss!!

Sydscott

Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:27 pm

Thoroughly deserved in my opinion. A profitable, healthy, expanding carrier with excellent economics that is investing in its fleet and inflight product.

mirrodie

Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:46 pm

Great news!

When we flew Qantas in 2001, we wondered why we waited so long!

Excellent service and crews!

Congrats to the Q team!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

QantasA332

Tue Jan 27, 2004 2:43 pm

As Sydscott said: thoroughly deserved, definitley! From service, to reliability, to fleet, they're definitely one of the best airlines flying, in my opinion.
Bravo, Qantas!!

qantasA332

chrisrad

Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:06 pm

You must be all mad,
From service, to reliability, to fleet, they're definitely one of the best airlines flying, in my opinion Wow!
If only the general population would agree with you, because that is certainly the general feeling out there.
Bad service, terrible crews, aircraft in appaling condition, lateness. Definately top stuff Big thumbs up
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

anstar

Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:09 pm

CHRISRAD: I think you need to get on a few more airlines, to realise how good us Aussies have it with QF.

Your comments merely emphasise the fact you havent done so.

ANstar

chrisrad

Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:21 pm

Having flown: Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Thai Airways, Garuda Indonesia, Cathay Pacific, Vietnam Airlines, Air New Zealand, United Airlines, Delta, Continental, KLM, Lufthansa. I think I can fairly comment on the lack of quality on Qantas, just my opinion anyhow.........

aardvark

Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:34 pm

Not bad flying for a 21 - 25 year old!!!

VirginFlyer

Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:37 pm

Chrisrad - I am not certain how they compare to the airlines you have listed, however I have flown qantas with some regularity (around once a month) for the past year. While I don't beieve they offer the best service in the air, I have yet to encounter Bad service, terrible crews, aircraft in appaling condition, lateness.

Maybe its just you?

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

anstar

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:01 pm

Chris, I've flown all the airlines you have (except Delta & Continental), and I can;t believe you think the likes of Thai and United compare to QF...?

I'm proud to be Australian, and am proud that our airline gets recognised in the global world as a great airline.

aussie747

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:08 pm

Chrisrad,

I do not know when you have flown Qantas but you have to look at their overall product. All classes of travel , maintenace, lounges, not just economy class service. Having flown quite a few airlines around the world especially of late, the Qantas product has improved immensely in the past year or so and continues to do so. It was this award that was awarded to Qantas in an overall capacity, and was obviously voted on a lot of dfferent criteria. In this sense it would not surprise me that Qantas would have won such an award.

I think a lot of people do not realise how lucky we are in Australia compared to some airlines and regions around the world.

P.S. I assume you are an employee of Virgin Blue!!

chrisrad

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:14 pm

I'm proud to be Australian but I don't think Qantas is nearly as good as they could be, while I might be harsh on them, it's only because I know how much better they could be, especially with top-rating S.E asian airlines on our doorstep. I'm not just harsh on QF either, SQ is another airline, I think slipped over the years, especially compared to their neighbours MH who I think are fantastic, and are now my airline of choice.
Not bad flying for a 21 - 25 year old!!!
I can thank my university and my parents for giving the many opportunities!

qantasboy

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:17 pm

Qantas thouroly deserves it! Congrats.

TBCITDG

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:33 pm

Chrisrad:
What logical evidence do have to suggest that QF has bad aircraft maintanance ??
If they are as bad as you would leadd us to beleive, why would they then win Airline of the year?
Why would they have 80% of the market share?
Why would they have posted profits, year after year, in light of the Asian crisis, SARS, the Iraq war, low cost carriers, increased competition from other International players etc etc.
As for their service, I think that there is room for improvement when it comes to staff. Aside from that didn't they just spend millions on sleepers in Business. Didn't they fit PTV's in their 743 series? Don't all 744 have PTV's in Economy?
What more do you whant?
Whats that flower called again?? The tall one that everyone likes to cut down to size?
What OZ needs is a doze of US domestic service, and then they'll be glad QF is still around!

chrisrad

Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:55 pm

What logical evidence do have to suggest that QF has bad aircraft maintanance>The aircraft I have been on have been in terrible condition inside, I did not have a swipe on their maintenace. But if you haven't already read this thread makes for some good readinghttp://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1334169/6/
If they are as bad as you would leadd us to beleive, why would they then win Airline of the year? The world is full of mysteries, this is one of them
Why would they have posted profits, year after year, in light of the Asian crisis, SARS, the Iraq war, low cost carriers, increased competition from other International players etc etc.By cost cutting?? Also don't forget they have a huge domestic market share, especially in light of Ansett collapsing which I'm sure plumped up their bottom line nicely.
Anyhow people, I'm not here to argue, just as everybody has an opinion on any topic be that Airbus vs Boeing, etc.etc.etc this is my view, you don't have to like it, but as I said, there is room for improvement.

airbear

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:28 pm

I have to say I'm in the "I-can't-believe-QF-got-this-award" camp. QF stands for shareholder value and cost cutting. Not for service, comfort, convenience, timeliness or with the possible (but significant, OK...) exception of safety, any other values that passengers appreciate (unless they happen to be shareholders as well).

Oh... and folks, just wait until a bit later this year and 2005 when Jetstar gets going in earnest, and the Frequent Flyer program is effectively terminated for all but the most expensive fares on whatever remains of the "mainline" Domestic division. It will be interesting then to see how just how loyal all the patriotic Aussies are when push comes to shove!

Truly an airline that only an accountant could love!

trekster

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:38 pm

Hi, most airlines do on occasion have a few bad planes, i was on a BA 747 plane to singapore and half the ptv's were falling out the seats, including my mum's. my seat would not recline, and the crew were, well i saw them about 4 times the whole flight.

On the Qantas plane, we saw the crew every hour, walking up and down the cabin with water always with a smile on there face.

I truly belive Qantas deseve this award

CONGRATS QANTAS
Where does the time go???

TSV

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:22 pm

Interesting that this :

"P.S. I assume you are an employee of Virgin Blue!!"

wasn't answered.

With regard to :

"Truly an airline that only an accountant could love!"

the answer is definitely V*r*in Blue.
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

thadocta

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:43 pm

Whilst accepting that QF are in a remarkably good position WRT competiton domestically, I also believe that the rest of their product places them well and truely for this award.

Sure, their F product is possibly not as good as it could be, but some of their short-haul product is the BEST in the world. You combine the two together, and you end up with a COMBINATION of products which other airlines are impossible to compete with. Sure, some might say "Look at SQ", but I defy you to state that QF have an inferior domestic product to SQBig grin

Dave

chrisrad

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:49 pm

No I don't work for Virgin Blue, far from it. I'm in the arts/entertainment field.

Sure, some might say "Look at SQ", but I defy you to state that QF have an inferior domestic product to SQ Since when does SQ have domestic, all of their flights are classed as international

POSITIVE RATE

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:34 pm

I think a lot of people do not realise how lucky we are in Australia compared to some airlines and regions around the world.

Yeah right go ahead and believe that if you want. Why are we so lucky here you tell me? We have ONLY 1 full service carrier and 1 budget LCC and we are supposedly "so lucky". I personally think Australia needs 2 full service carriers and 1 LCC, that would keep QF on its toes in regards to inflight service which has declined since the collapse of AN- especially on the domestic sectors. You wanna know what i think lucky is?- the way it is in the USA and Europe where you have literally dozens of airlines to choose from not just the same 2.

anstar

Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:01 am

Positive Rate, I want the pills you're on!!!

QF's domestic service is improving.... I would rather have a DJ/QF combo and get half decent service, than trade them in for AA, UA etc on their domestic routes.

No food on flights under 4 hours etc etc you really want that?

airbear

Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:29 am

Hi Tsv...

"Truly an airline that only an accountant could love!"

the answer is definitely V*r*in Blue."

Sorry, I don't work for VB either, I am in importing & wholesaling and am therefore a freq. traveller both domestic & intern'l.

Fact remains that QF's international service levels vary alarmingly in both Y & J-classes (and, from some trip reports I have read, F-class as well!!!). You can be lucky or not, as was the case last month to HNL, where the 2 FA's working our section of Y-class were like a good cop/bad cop act. One was really nice, pleasant, helpful and all the rest, while the other snapped at you if you so much as wanted a lousy glass of water. We, as pax, were definately cramping her lifestyle! Then you can go on about the shoddy interiors on many A/C, and the nice, modern & clean refurbished ones, such as the 743 back from HNL, where not much worked properly (toilets, PTV's come to mind).

The sort of antics that go on would not be tolerated (if reported...) by the managements of CX, SQ , TG, who together comprise much of QF's competition.

Domestic QF has deteriorated since the murder of AN, but not to worry... the mainline domestic division will slowly disappear over the next 18-36 months, and then Australia can be even "luckier" with 2 domestic LCC's and nothing else.

FlyboyOz

Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:59 am

I totally agree that Qantas deserves to get the best award. I have flown on Qantas last June and found that Qantas has been improved a lot. Oh man i was soo happy to fly on a new plane B744ER and the flight attendants (all old men in Y but that's ok) are friendly. They looked after me a lot not the rest of the pax in Y.

Also, the ground agent was very nice and kind to me. She was sooo helpful and care about me. She gave me two prioirty tags on my suitcase handles though I am a Y pax. She called Qantas cabin crew to keep an eyes on me! That was a fantastic job!

The inflight movies and meals are excellent. New PTVs in Y and the meals are yummy and also snack on Q on the long haul flight. Wow! it's a fantastic flight I've ever seen!

I also flew CX and then compare with Qantas. I think I can give Qantas 90% and then CX 85%. (Why CX not good - my PTV in Y were out of order - I could watch movies but couldnt play game/CX information and cabin crew were not friendly enough - they smiled like a robot)...

CONGRATULATIONS to Qantas!!
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

POSITIVE RATE

Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:13 am

No food on flights under 4 hours etc etc you really want that?

Tell you the truth food doesn't bother me on domestic sectors at all. And yes i would rather have the option of choosing from 10-15 different carriers with no food than being stuck with 2 or 1.5 you might say as 1 is a LCC anyway.

trekster

Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:22 am

What do u mean no food on flights under 4 hours, we flew to melbourne and then back to brisbane and we got a meal on each flight, and a snack
Where does the time go???

Sydscott

Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:42 am

If you recall Australia did have 2 full service carriers and 2 LCC's and look what happened to them.

Being at least a once every 2 month flyer on QF, I haven't had a bad experience with them yet. Their domestic service levels beats the pants off any North American Airlines and I think as more A330's come into service you will see improvements. The 747-300 referred to in the Honolulu thread is due to undergo modifications this year to QF's new interior. There are examples like that in every airline, its just a matter of luck. But then Honolulu isn't exactly a mecca for first and business passengers so its not as if they'd put the newest, factory fresh plane flying it.

I agree wholeheartedly with Airbears comments because I'm an Accountant, a QF shareholder and a QF Frequent Flyer. I would have thought Virgin would appeal more to accountants though. Perhaps the fact that 70% of the market dont want to be treated like a herd of cattle and have a sing along on the plane contributed to QF's success.

I'm also 25, (in Chrisrads age bracket), and have flown at various times since I was 18 Qantas, Cathay Pacific, British Airways, American Airlines, US Airways, America West, Southwest Airlines, Thai Airways, Emirates, JAL, Air Pacific and Swissair. So age isn't a barrier to travel the only question was who paid for it all.

Can you say there was an Asian Airline who weathered SARS better than QF??? Answer = NO.

Can you say there was an Airline around the world who weathered September 11 better than QF???? Answer = NO. No airline from either Europe or North America even comes close to QF's performance during the period. Emirates and those like it are coming close now having built themselves up over the past few years but dont eclipse QF yet. Give them another couple of years and they will.

That is why they won the award and all the ranting in this forum about how bad QF is isn't going to change it. Thats the 3rd time in a row isnt it???

TBCITDG

Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:51 am

I think that Airbear and ChrisRad are one the those people that blame QF for the collapse of ANSETT, and for the demise of any other player in the field. We experienced it before, and there is no way that the Australian Market could sustain the number of carriers (even a proportion of them) in OZ!
Back to the subject, Just came back from AKL on a newly fitted 743. WOW! Looks just like a 744 !

Lufthansa

Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:09 am

Look, i have this much to say.

Yes they have improved, and they deserve credit for that. But they've conned the lot of you into believing the myth that they can do no wrong and the sun shines out of their arse.

Their domestic product ain't half as good as it was when ansett was around, and they are still not offering the best combination of fairs, so, we may have a drop in service but the price on average still works out better next door at virgin.

To those who can see through the qf propoganda. Don't bother inform those that can't. QF is like a religion to them. Anybody of you who think otherwise are possed by the devil! Enough said though. My advice is, Fly cathay pacific and be free of them!

And lastly, I do give QF credit for it's recent long haul improvements. But even CO has PTV's in 767s! For those of us that fly BNE-HGK or the likes of that and want to buy an economy ticket(afterall why should we be forced to buy a bus ticket....its not like we are getting the $400 return airfares the americans are getting out of JFK across the atlantic.... similar flying distance) and get a complete product we are still better of on CX or SQ. perhaps its okay if u live in SYD and almost everything is 744.

But don't worry guys....soon we'll be able to take Virgin Altantic to Hong Kong and London!

PER744

Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:20 am

The domestic product has improved in leaps and bounds since the demise of Ansett. The food is better than it has ever been, IFE is better, cabin crews are just as good if not better, almost every Qantas Club lounge has been refurbished.

What 'service' has declined since the collapse of Ansett?

As for fares, I've generally found that Qantas are usually within $20 of Virgin fares for the cheap fares whenever I've wanted to go anywhere.

I went to BNE for the long weekend and couldn't find a single fault with Qantas, other than not being able to get my upgrade on the PER-BNE flight, but that's rather minor and I got it on the way back anyway.

QANTASpower

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:13 pm

I think we can completely discount the views of Ansett mourners who refer to an airline which has not killed a passenger in its 83 year history as a murderer.

This award was well deserved and reflects the all round excellent product that Qantas offers to go with its stellar financial performance.

Well done and things are only going to get better. Much better in fact.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

KiwiMike

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:28 pm

Hard to believe.

I too fly with Airline regularly (for work) and must say, they must be judged on their ability to make money as opposed to satisfying the expectations of their customers. I have had major problems redeeming Frequently Flyer points and even have had to chase them up to have them credited to my account. They seem to do everything to get out of it! There service is average at best and they only offer good value when there is competition. Thank goodness Virgin Blue and other o/s carriers coming to Australia. They are also constantly lobbying the Australian Government for exclusivity on certain routes. The new head of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission recently remarked " only Qantas would consider they had a god given right to exclusivity to Air routes into Australia". Their recent bids were unsuccessful thanks goodness for our pockets! Also, thank goodness they were unsuccessful in buying into Air New Zealand which would have decreased trans tasman competition and increased fares.

Qantas, "Airline of the year"? Yeah, right!!!!

QANTASpower

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:46 pm

KiwiMike ... lol ... thats so funny coming from a New Zealander.

Whenever you put the Ansett mourners and the Kiwi's together you know you have a QF bashing session on your hands.

What award has your bankrupt little carrier won of late???

KiwiMike

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:56 pm

Being a resident in Australia but not being Australian allows me to be objective and not blinded by obsessive Nationalism. I have the good fortune of being able to experience a variety of airlines and Qantas... is so not even close to the best.

They ARE good at making money though.

By the way, this is not an attack on Australia, merely a comment on my experiences and thoughts regarding Qantas.

CRFLY

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:02 pm

I love QANTAS and I am really proud the Aussies got the prize... 100 points QF!!!
With Age comes Wisdom...

Qantasclub

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:18 pm

I think this award is thoroughly deserved. I used to be a Qantas Basher, especially in the dark days where their inflight service and economy product lagged behind many other world class carriers. I flew them because of my Qantas club membership and Frequent flyer points, but there was this clear sense that you were 'missing out' onbetter service and product because you were flying Qantas. It also used to annoy me how the management of the airline was forever relying on Australian patriotism for it's customer loyalty instead of actually making genuine improvements. This was all in the 1990s. I've just flown back from SFO/LAX to MEL this morning (lookout for the trip report..hopefully out this weekend) and all I can say is..wow. What a different airline. Qantas is now my airline of choice with or without FFPs. Everything that Chrisrad and other Qantas bashers have said here is just not true by far. Service from ground check in, to the stylish new lounge at Melbourne, to the brand spanking new 744-ER, PTVs, food was excellent. World class. Certainly tonnes better than the Qantas I used to know till not long ago. I will admit that cabin staff have a different service attitude to those on SQ and CX, but then again, you are never going to get that kind of service on a non-asian airline. It's a cultural issue. But staff on both legs were friendly, professional, always had a smile on their faces. on a side note-their new uniform looks amazing. Stylish and very VERY cool. Black and brown.
To achieve such a rapid and dramatic improvement in inflight service and product AS WELL as remain profitable in the face of severe industry-wide problems is an enormous achievement. Congratulations to them and i hope they will continue to remain one of the best carriers in the world.
Add to this a great safety record, history and a great sense of style, well done.

[Edited 2004-01-28 05:20:36]

[Edited 2004-01-28 05:21:10]
Long Haul is the only way to go

marcelduchamp

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:01 pm

It's really entertaining reading how everyone's getting so worked up over the ATW award... While it is prestigious, don't forget that they give the award to a different airline every year - meaning everyone that does an "OK" job, is gonna get one in the end. Look at the past winners - Northwest, Continental & Lufthansa (to name a few). Guess it was about Qantas' turn.

It's an industry "pat-on-the-back" and not a reader's choice survey. The award considers all factors, such as management, profit, safety and service, but not totally on how friendly the cabin crew are, or how fine the wine. For this there is a separate "Passenger Service" award. This year, it so happens to go to Singapore Airlines. Surprise, surprise.

This may sound rude, but it almost seems that all this jubilation comes from the fact that QF really hasn't won many awards in the past.

Beno

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:47 pm

In the past 12 months QF have spent more on product/services than any other airline in the world. (including CX,SIA)

These are some of the improvements:

*All 30 744s now have new IFE/Telephones and interiors in all classes.The new Skybed biz seats are being fitted to all 744s and A333s.

*All 743/A332 aircraft to be upgraded to Intl standard including "Dreamtime" Biz seats as well as new interiors/PTVs in economy.

*All 737-800 aircraft now have the QF millennium biz seats and "slimlines" in economy.

*All 737-300/400 aircraft have gone through a major cabin refurb which includes new "slimline" seats in economy aswell as new panels/overhead bins.

*Improved meals acrross both the Intl and Domestic markets.

*All staff that deal with customers are being re trained. "Secrcet Shoppers" are being introduced to test service levels accross both Intl and Dom network.

*A major upgrade of Intl Firs/Biz class including new menus/amenities. New cabin lighting and buffet tables will be fitted to 747 aircraft.

*Retirement of some older 737/767 as well as the 146 regional jets from the fleet.

I think some of you need to remember that QF is a far bigger operation than many of its competitors (CX,EK,SQ,MH) So it takes alot longer for new products/services to be rolled out.

Sydscott

Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:48 pm

Blinded by obsessive nationalism?? Apparntly an Australian can't defend Qantas without it being a nationalistic act or patriotic!!!!! For gods sake take a pill or something.

Qantas has worked very hard for this award and deserves it. Besides the fact it has won awards in the past. The Avion awards for best in-flight entertainment 2 years in a row to start with so I'd suggest people check their facts.

"Yes they have improved, and they deserve credit for that. But they've conned the lot of you into believing the myth that they can do no wrong and the sun shines out of their arse."

On the contrary, when QF does things wrong most people on here jump all over it including the rabid QF fans. They haven't conned anyone.

"Their domestic product ain't half as good as it was when ansett was around, and they are still not offering the best combination of fairs, so, we may have a drop in service but the price on average still works out better next door at virgin."

What new A330's and 737-800's aren't good enough for your petite arse to fly on??? What the hell do you want them to do?? Install PTV's on all their 737's?? Why do people assume that they have a god given right to cheap fares everywhere??? Qantas is running a business here that needs to at least break even not a bus service. No-one has a god given right to a cheap as chips airfare. If you cant get one its because you didn't plan your trip with enough time to get a red e deal. At least QF isn't like AA or UAL at the moment. Be thankful we have a full service carrier that aint going to go bust.

"To those who can see through the qf propoganda. Don't bother inform those that can't. QF is like a religion to them. Anybody of you who think otherwise are possed by the devil! Enough said though. My advice is, Fly cathay pacific and be free of them!"

Flying Cathay wont rid you of Qantas. They are a member of Oneworld you know and you can earn and redeem QF frequent flyer points on Cathay. If you want to take a stand against QF then fly the Star Alliance and SQ and enjoy their service.

"And lastly, I do give QF credit for it's recent long haul improvements. But even CO has PTV's in 767s! For those of us that fly BNE-HGK or the likes of that and want to buy an economy ticket(afterall why should we be forced to buy a bus ticket....its not like we are getting the $400 return airfares the americans are getting out of JFK across the atlantic.... similar flying distance) and get a complete product we are still better of on CX or SQ. perhaps its okay if u live in SYD and almost everything is 744."

Why should you be forced to buy a bus fare??? Its actually very simple, if you cant afford the airfare dont fly them!!!!! Qf have bills to pay like every other business around the country. They're not some public transport system where everyone has the right to a $2.20 one way fare!!! Why do you people assume you have a god given right to a cheap airfare because let me tell you that you dont!!!!!! If you want that then fly Virgin Blue and be treated like cattle and be happy with a sing along of ging gang gooly, no food, no drinks and no leg room.

"But don't worry guys....soon we'll be able to take Virgin Altantic to Hong Kong and London!"

I've got news for you Lufthansa, Virgin Atlantic will be serving Sydney NOT Brisbane and it wont be any time soon if the latest reports from the EU are correct. Cathay is being held up in its bid to serve the trans-atlantic markets so Virgin wont be able to enter the Sydney-Hong Kong route until its resolved.

And lastly I lived in Perth for the first 24 years of my life so quit complaining about air services from Brisbane because WA is far worse off with the choice of airlines.

chrisrad

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:20 pm

Can you say there was an Asian Airline who weathered SARS better than QF??? Answer = NO
Can you say there was an Airline around the world who weathered September 11 better than QF???? Answer =NO
Yes, but they are NOT an asian airline. If SARS had broken out in Sydney somehow I think they would have been in the same situation as CX and SQ
I still think that the huge traffic they took over from Ansett helped them along, of course not forgetting all the cost cutting they did during these times, was'nt it until recently that all you got a was a cardboard box with some cheap rubbish in it??
And finally what has QF done to all of it's beloved frequent flyers?? from Skytrax:
Qantas has made it harder for passengers to travel using frequent flyer points in a major overhaul of the popular scheme. Passengers must now spend up to 80 per cent more points to upgrade their seats from economy to business class, the most popular use of the points - and travel on Qantas's "partner" airlines, such as British Airways, now earns fewer points. 

The most controversial change is to the number of points needed to upgrade a seat, especially on long-haul flights to the UK and America. It used to cost 50,000 points to upgrade an economy class fare from Sydney to London to business class - now it will cost 90,000 points. 

The other major change means that passengers who fly on "code-share" flights with Qantas partner airlines such as British Airways will earn fewer points. Qantas used to offer one point per mile for economy class tickets flown on its Sydney to London route if the flight used a BA flight number. Now passengers will get just 0.25 points per mile. Passengers on American Airlines will also get fewer Qantas points than before.

POSITIVE RATE

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:22 pm

I liked it the way things were in the "glory days" of Australian Aviation- ala the late 1980's, early 1990's. QANTAS only flew international, and we had Australian and Ansett flying domestic and at one point even Compass. It's hard to imagine how we went from having 3 full service carriers and 1 LCC(Compass)- a total of 4 airlines to todays total of 1 full carrier and 1 LCC. I wish QF had stuck to flying international only and did not buy Australian out, who knows where we'd be right now? Maybe things would be much better than they are now.

TBCITDG

Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:24 pm

Wow I really think that a lot of people should take a chill pill. QF wins one award and the people pounce all over them like they did something wrong.
Did QF choose to be the only carrier operating in Australia? NO. The playing field was fare and square. Ansett collapsed because of bad management (either here or on the other side of the Tasman).
The QF propaganda? Please don't make me laugh. Lufthansa you make it out like we are not rational adults in this forum, who can't make up our own minds. You really need to speak to someone about this!
I am grown man, who (thank God) can choose where he wants to fly to and with who. QF Have always treated me great, they have always got me from point A to point B with, food, entertainment, and above all "safely". I don't have to be cramped into a 737 (even though Branson will lead otherwise), I don't have to play "fun and games" when I have work to do on board. I won't get served by "little girls" who just left high school.
On the other hand, I will be traded like an adult, I will be left in peace when I ask for it. I will have a great network to choose from.
I am happy for those people that cannot wait to see Virgin Atlantic reach Sydney. How well will they cope with a CX/QA alliance?
No one is stopping these carriers from operating into/out of OZ. Just like no one is stopping VB flying the exact same network as QF.
And as for all the "What if's" . . . SARS Occurred in Asia, and QF had the ba--s, to adjust their network so it would not have a huge impact on them. They then managed to restructure the same network to ensure a speedy recovery.
And KiwiMike:
Let me guess, you would rather fly ANZ, with no PTV's, no sleepers in "j", not even in First, fly via LAX to get to LHR etc. etc. You want to talk bad airline?? How can you compare.
As for the fares, as mentioned above, I have flown both on VB and QF and I must say that the price gap is not HUGE!!
Oops, I'd better stop. I wouldn't want people to think I am a BLINDED NATIONALIST WHO HAS BEEN BRAINWASHED INTO THINKING THAT QF IS THE GREATEST THING ON EARTH!

Lufthansa

Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:16 am

TBCITDG - read your post and think about how "rational" it sounds.....
afterall, im not the one calling dj f/a's "little girls"...

AND sydscott.... well, u also just proved my point perfectly. I should explain something though. New 738s and A330s are great..... but the old style full service on the b734 was BETTER, and this was when ansett was about. 2 examples. Dinner.... I used to get a real meal. I remember things like pasta....
a few weeks back i got a bit of shaved ham and about a spoon full of coleslaw. that's not dinner...... so why pretend it is? If u just gave me a muffin and said that's what the service is we wouldn't feel cheated.

What else...how about UPGRADES. IF u fly on all but the most expensive fares, the typical east coast segments are now 9000 points for an upgrade. Ansett used to give u a whole FREE ticket for 10000, and 12000 for business class..... and they are not readily availible.

As far as a CX/QF alliance....forget it. they are far from best friends. a lot of CX fares dont give QF points. QF club memebers DON'T get into marco polo club lounges, and it goes on....all they do really together is rome. BA is the old chum...not cathay.

And lastly....why do we assume we have the right to cheap fares? Because Virginblue gave us that right! and because they too, are a business and they can make more money per plane than any other airline in the world and still do it! Thats why. And if its not so good, why are QF management ever so keen to go down the same path? There's still plenty of room for more improvements. Look no further than JETBLUE. This is capitalism baby!

chrisrad

Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:41 pm

I'm glad some other people have responded, I thought I was the only one

TSV

Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:17 pm

This gem gets my vote for quote of the month (if not the year) :

"Perhaps the fact that 70% of the market dont want to be treated like a herd of cattle and have a sing along on the plane contributed to QF's success."

While this one :

"And lastly....why do we assume we have the right to cheap fares? Because Virginblue gave us that right!"

gets my vote for myth of the century.
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:43 pm

Chrismad: "You must be all mad,
'From service, to reliability, to fleet, they're definitely one of the best airlines flying, in my opinion '
If only the general population would agree with you, because that is certainly the general feeling out there.
Bad service, terrible crews, aircraft in appaling condition, lateness. Definately top stuff
I think I can fairly comment on the lack of quality on Qantas, just my opinion anyhow......... "

Just your opinion, Chrismad? So please let other people also have their opinion and don't say they are mad.  Wink/being sarcastic

I flew with more than 25 airlines, Chris, and QF was one of the best, definitely!