Pe@rson
Topic Author

What Have You Done To Get A Window Seat?

Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:54 pm

What have you done to try to secure a window seat?

I was assigned the seat next the window seat on a UL flight from LHR to CMB via MLE - two legs of a total of 14 hours (including the time in MLE). Because of the fullness of the aircraft and that I boarded early, I intentionally sat in the window seat hoping that the real passenger who had been assigned that seat would not mind and sit in my assigned seat. I even thought about pretending that I was ill and needed to be able to look out properly - just to get the seat. But I did not get it. The man wanted it so I obviously let him have it (the seat, not a punch  Laugh out loud ). I later found out that he was a doctor. Thank God I didn't say my illness excuse.  Wink/being sarcastic But the funny and weird thing was he barely looked out of the window for the entire 14 hours - and he put the slide down for a long period! What was the point of having the window seat if you're not going to look out? LOL.

If my train and bus had arrived at LHR when it was meant to and not late, I would have got a window seat. Ah well. It's funny, really.

[Edited 2004-01-27 11:56:18]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

707CMF

RE: What Have You Done To Get A Window Seat?

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:01 pm

On a LH flight from LYS to FRA, I got assigned an aisle seat, while nobody was on the middle seat, but the window seat was taken.

About 15 minutes before landing, I asked the guy if he minded me taking some pictures out of the window. He didn't, so here am I on the middle seat, with both my arms in front of his face, snapping a lot of wing shots...

less than 5 minutes later he got so uncomfortable that he offered me the window seat instead !!!!

TriStar500

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:09 pm

I usually reserve my seat upon booking (if possible), do a phone- or internet check-in at the earliest possible time (if this service is available) or arrive at the airport soon enough to get the seat I want.

This has worked all the time so far. I wouldn't intentionally take the wrong seat and hope for some other passenger's understanding. After all, it is his/ her right to get the seat he/ she has reserved.
I've come across some people trying to pull that trick on me and wasn't thrilled - they didn't keep their mooched seat either. Big grin

Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:16 pm

"arrive at the airport soon enough to get the seat I want."

Yep! For a long-haul flight, I'd probably be at the airport 5 hours before departure or more. I planned 4 or something for my trip with UL, but annoyingly my bus and train were late, which meant i arrived 1.5 hours later. :| Ah well. No problemo.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

backfire

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

I suspect that if you ask specifically for the centre seat in a block of three, the computer system will keep the two seats either side of you empty  Big grin

kilavoud

Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:56 pm

When LH or SQ feel like free upgrading me to business, I usually I get a window seat.  Insane

Cheers. Kilavoud.

tokolosh

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:18 pm

On one occasion I phoned the airline before my return flight (longhaul, CPT to AMS) to try and secure a window seat. I was told this was not possible but I should turn up three hours before the flight to check in to get a window seat. I arrived three hours before, only to be told all window seats were already booked! To cap it all, during takeoff the person sitting at the window next to me read the newspaper (!!!), also blocking the little view I might have been able to have. Over the Sahara and over the Alps this person had the blind closed and was sleeping. Pe@rson, reading your experience, I'm amazed you don't get worked up about it -- good for your blood pressure.  Smile
Did the chicken or the egg get laid first?

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:22 pm

lol. Nah, no point getting worked up with it: wouldn't solve anything. I just laugh about it now.  Wink/being sarcastic

Bruspotter

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:26 pm

I hate people who sit at the window and don't look out. They sit there reading or sleeping or close the shades. By the way I always ask for my seat by number at check-in if I know the aircraft configuration.(ie;I'd like to sit in 15A if its free please). This always seems to work for me as I'm always really early for my flights, just to get the seat I want.
I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.

airkas1
Crew

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:34 pm

I always get a window seat, because so far I've always flown with 4 people or more, at least 1 of the people I travel with will get a window seat.
And I've always managed to swap seats with that person so I get my window seat.

This year i'm going to fly only with my brother, so I hope I will get a window seat again.
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

codeshare

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:13 pm

Either check in early, or on one of my LH flights (long-haul) I had the option of preselecting the seats.
Or you can always ask the F/As if there is a possibility to switch seats.
How much A is there is Airliners Net ? 0 or nothing ?

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:29 pm

I dislike sitting in the window seat because I do not like people leaning over me to look out the window, so when I am stuck with this seat, I just close the shade.

707CMF

Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:58 pm

I dislike sitting in the window seat because I do not like people leaning over me to look out the window, so when I am stuck with this seat, I just close the shade.

Why don't you rather offer to swap the seat ?
Closing the shade is quite rude.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:19 am

Why don't you rather offer to swap the seat ?
Closing the shade is quite rude.

I will only swap seats if nobody occupies my seat, otherwise I like my person to be in the seat match with my name. Simple as that.

I will not take a middle seat, despite if the person there wants to look out the window. Closing the window shade is not rude. It's my option as the person who sits at the window seat... which is thankfully rare as I much much prefer an exit row aisle seat (but will take an exit row window, dependant on the aircraft type, if it is available over another row's aisle) and I am usually in that seat unless I upgrade.

kalakaua

Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:34 am

I try to check-in early enough so I can get a window seat. The reason for liking the window seats is that when I feel tired and I want to nap, I like to lean against the wall, or lean my head against that groove. When I had an aisle seat once, I leaned against someone, so that was embarrassing. And of course, I do it for the view.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

ATA L1011

Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:39 am

When I fly other carriers I always have my seat reserved well in advance so I dont have to bother with it, with ATA they all know me and do whatever it takes to get me one.
Treat others as you expect to be treated!

bobb

Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:14 am

Sick doesn't work! if you are sick, you should be sitting in an isle seat! Come on guy!

If you are shamelessly enough, try the "Sir, I got married on (the spot you are flying over), and I've been recalled by my army (look sad). I would really really appreciate it if I can look at this very special spot (voice trailing off)...."

(remember don't go Yeepeee)

[G]

pilot kaz

Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:26 am

if its a charter flight i always reserve a window seat only costs about £7-8, but if it is not a charter i always check in early and get on the aircraft first, always got a window seat tho  Big grin
-

LHSebi

Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:36 am

"Why don't you rather offer to swap the seat ?
Closing the shade is quite rude."

Erm...most people close the window shade to not let the light in when they want to sleep. Why is it rude? You paid for the seat, you get the privilege of deciding what to do with the window(shade)...

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

Bicoastal

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:47 am

I actually prefer the aisle seat so it's a non issue for me. I'd rather have the flexibility to get up when I want, move about, etc.

Which leads me to ask my fellow forum users: Aisle, Window or (gasp!) Middle seat?
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

babybus

Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:12 am

Back in the early 80's I was flying home for Xmas and I phoned the airline and reserved a window seat. When I got on the aircraft I found my row and my window seat occupied by the pop group "Boney M". The guy asked if he could keep the seat but me being so proud of securing the seat asked him to move.

No hard feelings, we had a chat, a beer and laughed all the way home.

I'll never ask a celeb to move ever again!

and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

SafetyDude

Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:51 am

I usually do not have problems as I pre-book my seats, but I have on the occasion asked to switch. They have always been very willing and it also usually struck up a nice conversation.

But the funny and weird thing was he barely looked out of the window for the entire 14 hours - and he put the slide down for a long period! What was the point of having the window seat if you're not going to look out? LOL.
The worse - and I mean the worse - are those that sleep. When dealing with certain family members, I just want to move them to another seat...or better yeat, bring a piece of wood (TSA cleared, that is  Laugh out loud) on board for them.

Smile/happy/getting dizzy
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

Skydrol

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:01 pm

It is interesting when I consider this... before I was about 18 years old, I always had to have a window seat, and since then I always request an aisle seat. I really can't think what made my preference change. I'll have to sit in a window seat next flight just to break the trend. I have never requested or desired a middle seat at anytime.

What to do to get the seat you want? Just ask when you make your reservation, or be there early if there's no assigned seating.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

atrude777

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:21 pm

I am in this situation right now!! I booked an AA Flight MWA-STL-DFW-MCO. I have a window seat/wing for MWA-STL-DFW, but my most fav flight the 757 whihc iv never flown DFW-MCO i have a middle seat ugh....My first flight on the 757 and I dont want it to be "ruined" by a middle seat. I prefer the winodw..so I have been calling the airline 2 or three times a DAY to see if ANY window seat is open...but no avail.. Sad they always suggest checking again at the gate. I am probably lucky to even HAVE a seat on that flight as its was pretty booked solid at the time of booking, and I was so mad I didn't have a window seat for my first 757 flight.. Sad well if ya'll got any suggestions let me know!!!

Alex.
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

navairjax

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:29 pm

Flown WN and arrived early, after all being in the first 40 guarantees a window is available.

flyingnanook

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:55 pm

I always request a window seat because I am somewhat claustrophobic in that when I am sitting in an enclosed space (airplane, train, car, etc.) and a person is sitting on both sides of me (even across the aisle) I will hyperventillate and pass out.

This happened once when my flight was delayed and I was going to miss my connection so I was put on a flight on a different airline and was given the middle seat. I tried to explain my predicament to no avail. So I sat in the middle, the plane pushed back and I started freaking out. I hyperventillated and passed out, fell forward and whacked my head on the seat in front of me. All of a sudden the flight attendant was tapping me on the shoulder to make sure I was alright and gave me some juice and cookies to make me feel better. So luckily a nice lady who was several rows back offered to change seats with me.

So from now on, if I get assigned the dreaded middle seat (I have issues with the aisle seat but if the flight is less than 2 hours, I should be fine) I explain my story and the airline is nice enough to accommodate me.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:51 pm

How come BA never pre-assigns seats?????????
Whenever I flew with them (3times), I had to fight for my window seat even if it was pre-assigned(by bugging them almost 20 times) and not getting the seat that I was promised?? What's wrong with them. I was promised 49K and was give 50D NO WAY! I showed them my preassigned print out and had to fight to get a window seat. BA is terrible in pre-assigning seats. They never ever fulfiled the promised seat number or prefrence :<(

LHSebi

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:17 pm

I have flown with BA plenty of times...and I haven't had problems with their seat assignment. Before you start bashing them, think consider that flying 3 times on an airline doesn't give you a very good view on how they perform!

When I fly long-haul in Economy, I usually try to secure the left or rightmost seat in the middle section, in usually the 2nd or 3rd row after the galley. Since the first or first 2 rows are usually 3 seats, and the remaining 4, sitting on the aisle in the first row with 4 gives you quite a bit of legroom where I could stretch out almost completely, and quite comfortably (I'm about 1.83). On short-haul I usually prefer window seats as there is more to see, and I probably won't have to bother anyone to use the toilet or walk around!

Sebastian
I guess that's what happens in the end, you start thinking about the beginning.

JGPH1A

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:30 pm

First of all, BA don't do seat assignments unless you pay full fare (or close to it) or are a high-tier (ie. above Blue) Frequent Flyer. They make exceptions for the US market in some cases, because of the much more relaxed seat assignment regimes in place at the competition, but for the rest of the world this is the rule. Also, they block a big chunk of each cabin for use by the airport, which reduces your chances even further.

Second of all, no matter what seat you may have assigned in your booking, once the flight is taken over by the airport, they have free rein to move you around wherever, and they do. If they have higher tier FQTV or VIP's who don't have assigned seats, or groups, or family travelling together, or infants in need of a cot, and they need your seat, ciao baby - you get 57D (or nothing) and lump it. The only way around this is to have a high FQTV tier (Silver or Gold).

Likewise if there is an equipment change, even to the same type of aircraft with a different layout, the seat reaccomodation process in RTZ is a lemon of huge proportions, and you can go from your prime piece of real estate to the worlds worst seat, or no seat assignment at all, in the blink of an eye. This will be replaced soon with a much better process, but for now, its not beautiful. Trust me on this.

No point complaining though, BA will just tell you they NEVER guarantee seat assignments, and all seat assignments are subject to change or cancellation without notice.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:54 pm

I try to be first in line for the door to the gate and take long steps on my way
to the plane.

Anders

cytz_pilot

Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:08 pm

I'm a bit like a drug addict...I have to have my window fix. However, nowadays I can be swayed. Flying from Heathrow to Toronto with my girlfriend, I asked if I could get a window seat. The flight was full, and I was told that I could have a window seat but we couldn't sit together.

I stopped, stunned. I looked at my girlfriend, a complex mix of emotions twisting my mind into a pretzel. Never before had I been asked to make such a sacrifice in the name of a window seat. She would understand, wouldn't she? She, after all, knew what kind of crazy plane freak I was. The silence was becoming thunderous. I opened my mouth to speak and nothing but a soft squeak came out. Time was running out, I had to say something. But what? My mind raced, until, I heard my voice drone out, 'no, that's ok, we'd rather sit together.' I couldn't believe my own ears! She helped break my addiction!!!

And it's very possible that saying the right thing helped secure our future, as two months later she accepted my proposal. To have and to hold, and to sit with on airplanes even if I can't get a window.

Neat topic! Can't wait to hear more stories.

Chris

ManchesterMAN

Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:56 pm

On a recent CO flight EWR-MAN I didn't have to do anything to GET a window seat but I had to work pretty hard to keep it.

I had booked my flights well in advance and reserved my specific window seat, checked it was a good one etc. etc. As I was on a connecting flight from DCA I actually checked in 6 hours before the flight so no problem there either. When I boarded there was a youngish lady in the next seat. She was stood up and I took my seat 42A. She then explained to me that her religion forbade her from sitting next to a man and asked if I would mind swapping with her friend in the centre section. I explained that I wanted to keep my window seat and didn't want to move into an isle seat. She then attracted the attention of the FA who asked me if I would mind swapping. I explained to her that I specifically requested this seat and always have a window etc etc. She then went away then came back a few minutes later, sat next to me put her hand on my shoulder and asked again and offered me free alcaholic drinks during the flight. I told her I don't drink (which is a lie) and said I'd rather stay put. So she went away had a discussion with her colleague and then the chief FA came along and asked if I would mind moving!! So I said that I would only move if I could move to another window seat. The plane was totally full but I thought it wouldn't be too dificult to find a woman to swap with but no joy (although they didn't seem to be looking too hard). At this point I had my mind on an upgrade (but only if I could get a window of course!) but this never happened. In the end she sat next to me for the whole flight and didn't seem to have a problem but I spent the whole flight feeling like a villan. I respect other peoples religion but for me there is nothing better than watching the sun rise over the atlantic at 35,000ft  Big thumbs up

Another (shorter story) ...

On a forthcoming trip with AA I went to book and just thought I'd use their available seat feature before booking just in case there were no window seats. As it was early jan for a mid-march flight I was amazed to find all window seats gone on that particular day and all the centre section seats were empty! Check it out AA105 LHR-JFK 13 March (although most of the rest of the seats have gone now as well)

Given that I wanted to travel on this flight (I couldn't get to LHR earlier and didn't want to arrive in NYC later) I booked the flight on a different day just to get the window seat.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

Espion007

Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:08 am

I stopped, stunned. I looked at my girlfriend, a complex mix of emotions twisting my mind into a pretzel. Never before had I been asked to make such a sacrifice in the name of a window seat. She would understand, wouldn't she? She, after all, knew what kind of crazy plane freak I was. The silence was becoming thunderous. I opened my mouth to speak and nothing but a soft squeak came out. Time was running out, I had to say something. But what? My mind raced, until, I heard my voice drone out, 'no, that's ok, we'd rather sit together.' I couldn't believe my own ears! She helped break my addiction!!!

Ever thought of writing? Big grin  Big thumbs up

i HAVE to have a window seat sometimes.On flights east coast-europe,i usally depart after sundown,and i like to see the REALLY slow sunrise over the atlantic.However,on some flights im OK with isle seats-although now i see why window seats are sooo great-on my last flight CDG-IAD we were landing,and it was hell cause the plane was squeeking,turning,falling,rising,etc.They the PTV said "170 ft" and i felt the landing. It was quite scary. Next time,ill opt for a window seat,so i know when were landing we have a good chance of actually walking away Big grin
Snakes on a Plane!

wally

Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:24 am

Had the travel agent check the “window seat” on my personal profile. Carlson does a great job!

An-225

Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:30 am

On my last flight from LAX to DEN I gave up first class just to have a window seat. By the way, my N213UA did not have PTVs in coach.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Tom in NO

Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:36 am

I usually just reserve one, ask for one, or, if I'm on WN, I'll look for one.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos