cfm-56

Flying Finn Files For Bankruptcy

Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:43 pm

Flying Finn filed for bankruptcy today 27th january.All flights will be flown normally today but as of midnight the company suspends all flights.
They have debt of 8 million euros.Another airline bites the dust.

Capital146

RE: Flying Finn Files For Bankruptcy

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:02 am

This comes only about a week after a thread was running on A.net that the reason they were dropping HEL-STN was to concentrate more on domestic/regional routes.

Sad news, had no idea things were so bad.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

swissgabe

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:15 am

Very sad news indeed. When I saw them few weeks ago in HEL I decided to fly my next domestic flight with them.

I wonder what they are going to do in the future ...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

RJNUT

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:24 am

I think alot of European carriers will have this happen to them..
Just having a website ,alone, is not going to get people on your planes..If you are not in the GDS res systems and dont have a lot of brand recognition, travel profesionals cant find you..
I predict the same fate for Helvetic of Switzerland ,( and others).

Thomas_Jaeger

Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:11 am

Being in the GDS's is no longer very important in Europe. Scandinavian travel agents know Flying Finn anyway, others are not going to make up for a big percentage anyway ...
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

swissgabe

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:42 am

Being in the CDS is in most cases connected with a lot of cost. As you might know, that is what LCC are going to avoid. Indeed some of the LCC are published in a GDS but what does it help when you can't book the flight or if you pay high fares compared to the lower fares published on the website?

As long as you are known in the market you target, and I'm sure, Flying Finn is known in Finland, it doesn't matter where you publish your flights.

This of course goes mainly for Europe since I think that you can't compare the selling channels of the US with the once here in Europe and there is another importance as well.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

babybus

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:38 am

I think Flying Finn suffered from the fact that Finnair already had very good flt connections for most international flts at HEL and AY also offered a discount on the internal flt if you booked it with your international sector. There was also the interline baggage thing.

Flying Finn didn't advertise their services very much in the UK and for many collecting your bags in HEL and checking in again, maybe with a wait between flts, was not an attractive package or worth the hassle.

If they have bitten the dust I'm very sad as I was looking forward to traveling with them in the near future. It was about time AY had a bit of internal competition.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

mn

Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:39 pm

Flying Finn is still looking for new capital so the bankruptcy is not confirmed yet. We will see what happens later today.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos