RJ100
Topic Author

BA To Take Over Swiss Flights To Basle And Geneva

Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:53 pm

Hello

I am working part time for a large company in BSL. Yesterday there was a meeting between SWISS officials and my company because the company is unhappy with the current route network out of BSL.

However, SWISS confirmed that BA will take over the flights from Heathrow to Basle and Geneva and probably also between Manchester and Basle. SWISS gives the LHR slots to BA and receives 50 Mio. CHF. This is subject to the approval by the government because several airlines (EasyJet for example) do not agree with the slot deal. So I guess we will see these changes effective next winter schedule.

SWISS will only serve Heathrow out of Zurich then!

BA (and BOAC) has served Basle for more than 50 years and was one of the first airlines flying to Basle after the 2nd world war. They have dropped the route in the late 90s due to the Crossair competition (which had 6 daily flights to London).

Welcome back mates. We will welcome you with open arms.  Smile

Regards,
RJ100
none

pilatusguy

RE: BA To Take Over Swiss Flights To Basle And Geneva

Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:57 pm

'SWISS will only serve Heathrow out of Zurich then!'

==> What's happening to the ZRH-LCY route?

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:03 am

Sorry for not expressing myself clearly.

They will keep the LCY route of course (at least I haven't heard something different).

I wanted to say that Heathrow will only see SWISS flights to Zurich.

Regards,
RJ100
none

airways

RE: BA To Take Over Swiss Flights To Basle And Gen

Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:15 am

It was announced that some flights will be combined. But that's the first time I hear that BA will take over all routes between LHR and BSL/GVA. BA is already strong in GVA, that makes sense. Anway, we'll see.

But the slot deal looks a bit different. Swiss is selling a part of their slots at LHR to BA. If I remember correctly, they're selling 7 out of 13 slot pairs. The price BA is paying for these pairs has never been revealed.

The mentioned CHF 50 millions is something different. BA is giving a credit guaranty of 50 millions to LX. This credit would be secured by the remaining LHR deals, which still will be used by LX.

Michael

RJ100
Topic Author

Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:24 am

Thanks for clarifying the slot question.

It would make a lot of sense to take over the LHR-GVA/BSL routes for BA.
As you have already said they are strong in Geneva. SWISS is not happy about basing an Airbus in BSL (because the crews are based in ZRH). So it would make sense to give the route away to BA.

Regards,
RJ100
none