HNLFlyBoy

When First Was First....

Sat Jan 31, 2004 4:15 pm

I am sure this has been a thread in the past and I'm not even sure if it belongs here or in Trip Reports, but I will take a risk and start it here. Anybody care to share a memorable F Class experience "when First was First..." Stating airline, a/c type and when it happened would be nice too.

It will be interesting to see how this thread develops. I will be checking back and posting my own experience once this gets started.

Cheers!

Phaeton

RE: When First Was First....

Sat Jan 31, 2004 7:12 pm

The only time I ever flew First Class was on a Lufthansa Airbus A340 from Seoul to Frankfurt in August 2000. I was on a holiday with my family in South Korea, where we also spent a couple of nights on the beautiful island of Cheju. The flight was in the day, leaving in the early hours of the afternoon and arriving in Frankfurt around 7 pm. My dad upgraded us into First Class with his Frequent Flyer Miles. The cabin of the LH A340 only had eight seats, of which all were occupied. I was amazed to see, that there were two lavatories for the eight passengers in First Class. The flight departed on time and cruised smoothly over the vast Gobi dessert. Lunch, which included caviar, was served shortly after take-off and dinner before the descent into Frankfurt. The in-flight-entertainment was good and one could choose between an array of films, which the Flight Attendant would then play for you. The flat bed in First Class was great, only that I didn't sleep that much because it was a day flight. The flight arrived on time in Frankfurt, where we connected to a flight to Munich.

I was only twelve years old at the time, but overall it was an unforgettable experience.

Cheers!

Thomas
"History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.", Winston Churchill

jeffrey1970

Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:59 pm

I have always wondered what airline was the first to offer first class.

God bless through Jesus,

Jeff
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

L.1011

Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:06 pm

Well the first airline. First came First, Coach in the 30s, while Business is relatively recent invention, of 1978.

HNLFlyBoy

Sun Feb 01, 2004 4:51 am

Jeff, Phaeton got the idea of the topic. I'm actually asking about the service end of F Class and remembering, when the service was truly First Class. Ditto to L.1011.

Phaeton, that sounds like a wonderful trip....And on that note, I will share my first First experience....

UA HNL-LAX, 1984?, B747-200, upper deck - configuration was a two-class, yes, two class, F in the nose and upstairs, Y the rest of the plane. High capacity back then, Hawaii was very popular. In any case, I had the left hand bulk head window seat. Seat was very comfortable, no IFE systems back in those days and I can't remember if it had a footrest or not. Next to me was a little storage locker, like an overhead, just on it's side. This was my first trip alone without my parents as well. I was on my way to see my sister in LAX.

It was a morning departure, so breakfast was served. After the beverage service, complete with macadamia nuts (Yum!) your table was set. Linen, real silver, and crystal salt/pepper shakers and an orchid. Water, wine glass etc. Multi-course service, fresh fruit salad, served seatside from a carved melon which was the serving bowl. Warm breads, muffins were offered with pats of butter from a butter dish. I had an omelette I think, can't really remember...but with it you were offered a choice of breakfast meats, which were brought to you seatside and you could choose from a silver tray. They had breakfast steaks, bacon, sausage and British Bangers. It was wonderful, I had a steak. After dinner liquers were offered, but I passed, since I was still in high school and wouldn't have been served anyway.

Just prior to landing they offered a cheese and cracker service, again seat side, all off of a service cart, but not the bulky ones like in Y. I think they call the F carts "queen" carts. Wonderful assortment of cheeses to choose from and great crackers. Oh and fresh sliced melons to accompany the cheese if you wished.

It all ended way too soon. That's when First was First. I have also had a chance to experience F Class on a UA 747-200, three-class configuration between HNL-SFO on several occasions. This used to be the continuation of the SYD flight, routing was SYD-HNL-SFO. Those were good flights, but not as good as the one I just described. Although, they were a true sleeper seat, HUGE pitch.

Anybody else want to share their F experiences?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos