fourstripe

What Could Happen....?

Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:17 pm

Hello All!

As everyone knows, FA's give a speech at the beginning of every flight about "approved" and "unapproved" electronic devices during flight. Also, all electronic devices have to be off for the first and last 10 minutes of any flight. My question is what could happen if someone left a device on, or if someone used an "unapproved" device during flight? Plane losing control, loss of navigation radios, electrical failure, ....?

-David
“Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.” - Edward Vernon Rickenbacker

fritzi

RE: What Could Happen....?

Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:29 pm

It could interfere with the cockpit electronics, avionics,navigation instruments...
I also recall that on the A300-600, cell phones can interfere with the cabin internal communication system.

Loosing your navigation instruments in IMC conditions is not very good.

RareBear

Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:41 pm

What effect could a radio receiver, such as a scanner, have on the aircraft electronic systems? Also such things as a GPS unit? Neither of these devices transmit any type of signal, do they, so how could they affect the systems?

Walt
Illegitimus non carborundum

MYT332

Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:48 pm

Well flying back from Egypt to MAN last month i forgot to turn my mobile phone off before we boarded, as it happens i only turned it off over Italy. We didn't crash but still, oopsie!

While im on the subject of contraband onboard a/c, I also had a knife in my hand luggage on one flight last year, and a Swiss army knife on my keychain in my hand luggage on the afore mentioned flight.

Im not very good at remembering things!
One Life, Live it.

fritzi

Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:51 pm

One thing is that all electronics have a electromagnetic field when switched on. Even if they only have a low current, it can still be strong enough to screw things up.

I've done some testing with electromagnetic fields, and I can say that they can screw up other electronic device.