LEARJET23

Pan Am "Clipper Black Hawk"

Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:33 pm

I was a combat vet in Vietnam and got a one week R&R to HKG. I remember the plane that took us to HKG was a Pan Am 707 called clipper black hawk. A military charter. Any of you really sharp people know what ever happened to this plane? The Capt. Had to do an emergency pull up to dodge some air force fighters in Da Nang, and we never felt any fear like this before! I would appreciate any data you have.

T prop

RE: Pan Am "Clipper Black Hawk"

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:03 pm

Learjet23,

I did a little research using Google and came up with some info;

Pan Am clipper Blackhawk s.n. 18833 delivered to PA 2/17/65 was a 707-321B adv. Don't know how long it flew with PA for but the last airline it flew for was an outfit called American Eagle Airlines. American Eagle was short lived, started up 3/80 and ceased ops 4/81.

Here's a picture of her in glory days.

Unfortunately it ended up stored at Marana in 1982 and the last I could find out was that it was delivered to AMRC Davis Monthan in Tucson in 1986. It's last storage area there was area 28.

These links are to pictures of N402PA in her last paint scheme.

http://www.airlines-airliners.de/hauptimages2/n402pa.jpg

http://www.howardair.co.uk/html/marana_1982_8.html

T prop.

T prop

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:09 pm

Forgot to add, I searched the database here and found no pictures of clipper Blackhawk, only sister ship N401PA.

T prop.

rg828

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:24 pm

Here it is:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon

It was scrapped for parts for KC-135's in 1984.
I dont know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

T prop

Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:43 am

Forgot to add, I searched the database here and found no pictures of clipper Blackhawk, only sister ship N401PA.

T prop.
 Embarrassment

Wow, 6 pix here on the database, last one in 2001. Wonder if there's anything left of it today?

T prop.

LEARJET23

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:54 am

I am stunned! You guys know how to make an old man cry. I have a photo of this plane in HKG as I am getting onboard, and the "Clipper Black Hawk" is by the door! And to think I only live one hour from this part of my history! THANKS A MILLION! I'll never forget this!! We came into HKG over the city and down between the housing area to line up with the runway...Damn! Glad we were all so drunk and loose! That was one strange sight. The Capt. Told us he could smell Chinese food cooking as he was lining up with the field (Kai Tac) and if we wanted to know that the official flag of Hong Kong was, look out the window at all the colorful laundry on all the balconies! That was the HKG flag. Six of the people on that flight with me in my unit (1st/501st Inf, 101st Airborne Div) died about three weeks after we got back to Nam. Today I dedicate this happy memory, and the miracle of finding this plane 33 years later, to them.

RareBear

Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:59 am

Learjet23:

Your profile says you are 21-25 yrs old. If that's correct, you weren't even born til after the Vietnam War was over.

What gives here?
Illegitimus non carborundum

dc863

Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:46 am

Time travel perhaps?

LEARJET23

Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:36 am

I was born in 1950, Drafted in 1969 and discharged in 1972 on a medical retirement. I re arranged my entire profile (note the country I live in) due to the fact I was told the data listed was open to those trolling pop up outfits. Better to be listed as a lunatic than be hammered by more internet sales parasites. I have a photo of me getting in the door of this ship and that's the only way I would have ever remembered it even had a name. I am looking for my "Freedom Bird" photo so I can see if anyone has any Idea what happened to this ship, All I had was the name (Flying Tigers) and it was a 707 or DC-8 and had a three digit number on the nose wheel flap that was clear in the photo as I walked down the ramp at Ft. Lewis WA (SEA-TAC) I have a teen age daughter who will help me scan these photos tomorrow, so please stay tuned! The ship we went to Vietnam was also a charter and as I recall it was Capitol airlines. Same plane all the way to Cam Ranh Bay with one fast stop for gas in anchorage, then a truly miserable ride that felt like 20 hours, to Ukotia AFB, Japan (we got to get off and get a coke-coffee) then on to RVN, 6 more hours.

dc863

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:33 pm

Capitol lost a DC-8-63 at Anchorage in late 1970. Brakes apparently set during the take-off roll causing the bird to overrun the runway. I believe it was N4909C on it's way to Yokota then Cam Ranh Bay. Good thing you weren't aboard that one.

LEARJET23

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:45 pm

You have GOT to be kidding! Is this true? This is incredible! I never knew anything about this! That would have really sucked to have been killed on the way to Vietnam! Simply incredible.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos