daumueller

LH/UA Codeshare Between LHR And The US!?

Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:58 am

this is probably nothing new but I just realized that LH has got a codeshare on every UA flight to/from LHR and I don't get it... LH can't generate much feeding traffic, UA has got many flights to/from FRA and LH got their own flights to the US of course... Where is the point of codesharing on these routes?!

ben

gigneil

RE: LH/UA Codeshare Between LHR And The US!?

Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:03 am

Its the same reason many connections between UA and LH show up via AMS.

If you're a German doing business in London, and develop a need to head to the United States, LH can get you there.

United codeshares on LH's service from ATL.

N

daumueller

Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:12 am

If I am a German doin business in London, I need to get back to London, too so it doesn't matter if my Ticket prints out UA or LH...

the UA codeshare on LH's ATL service sounds reasonable to me... a us airline offers service (even if on another carrier) to the other carriers main.hub. but a german airline offering seats on a different carrier en route from UK to US...

does anybody know whether they really sell a lot of seats there or if this is just a marketing "gag"?

rutankrd

Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:59 am

Think Lufthansa codes on UA flights from Heathrow odd !

Try the following for size these are the two transatlantic BMI A330 flights from Manchester UK departing tomorrow these also carry UA codes as well.

LH6776
Chicago - O'Hare International, USA
Dep:10:50 On Time

LH6774
Washington - Dulles International, USA
Dep: 12:25 On Time.

As for Heathrow flights these are logical as they go back to the days when PA operated their European routes and these were transfered to UA.
UA later gave up the German routes to LH.
So their is some feed for United off Lufthansa through the Row still and as partners so the LH code appears on the UA flights outwards.
If you look a Star Alliance you might well find LH codes all over the place !

johnnybgoode

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:22 pm

LH and UA have a joint venture on the north atlantic. they share revenues and profits on all transatlantic flights, if i´m right. that means FRA-ATL just as well as any UA service to AMS and other destinations.

rgds
daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

daumueller

Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:25 pm

ah, now that makes sense - thanks for the info daniel!

fraT

Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:30 pm

Daniel,

are you sure about that?
AFAIK LH and UA only have a joint venture on flights between Germany and the US only. On other flights between the rest of Europe and the US it is just code sharing.

johnnybgoode

Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:55 am

as i said, i´m not really sure. there is definitely a JV between the USA and Germany. through my studies, we were once provided with details on UA/LH and their JV and there is more much to it than just the JV between Germany and the USA and some additional codesharing.
i think Lufthansa is responsible for all sales and pricing activities for all flights (both LH and UA) sold in Europe and UA is responsible for all sales in the USA.

i wished i would remember the exact details, but they´ve really got a close cooperation on the north atlantic which goes way beyond codesharing and a simple JV.

cheers
daniel
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

ANA

Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:00 am

LH will be upset if United go bust. Who would they play with transatlantic out of LHR then ?

Anders