CO737800
Topic Author

Westjet May Link With Southwest Or JetBlue

Thu Feb 05, 2004 3:52 pm

WestJet expects to expand in the United States, and may establish alliances with other airlines, such as Southwest or JetBlue (NasdaqNM:JBLU - News), to feed each other passengers, Beddoe said. I think that would be great for Westjet to link up with Southwest. It would be a good deal for both airlines.

CanadaEH

RE: Westjet May Link With Southwest Or JetBlue

Thu Feb 05, 2004 4:23 pm

Do you have a link for an article or where Clive said that?
EH.

CO737800
Topic Author

Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:13 pm

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040204/airlines_westjet_3.html

lymanm

Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:26 pm

CO737800, cuz you're new, I won't rip you a new one. To those who continue to choose the path of ignorance, STOP! If you post a link, for cripes' sake, < surround the URL with these symbols. > That's right, the two keys between M and ?.

Rant over.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040204/airlines_westjet_3.html
buhh bye

ScottB

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:05 am

With their present route systems, WestJet really couldn't pull much connecting traffic from jetBlue unless they flew into JFK, IAD, or OAK (LGB is out of slots). B6 has little to nothing which makes sense for connections in Florida to Canada. WN serves all of the cities announced by WS (aside from PSP; it's possible that WS could serve Palm Springs via ONT), though I have doubts about their level of interest in an interline agreement. It *might* be workable for WN *if* they were to do ground handling for WS at airports where connections were offered.

AirframeAS

Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:44 am

I dont think WN will ever codeshare or provide feeders to any other airline, WN is too independant to do that. No wonder why they wont transfer your bag to your connecting airline for you, you have to go out of security and claim your bag and then do the check-in process all over again with WN. WN has no codeshare agreements with anyone. I think two words describes it all: INDEPENDANT & SUCCESSFUL.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

fly_yhm

Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:29 am

Do you think any of these flight migh come to yhm even though some flight have been pulled?
Where will you spend eternity? He,s more real then you think!!!!!

luv2fly

Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:33 am

I could see them code sharing with B6 before WN. Like others have pointed out WN is happy doing what they do, and also doing it well. I could see them code sharing via OAK, IAD, LAS and also even FLL and MCO.
You can cut the irony with a knife

jetbluefan1

Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:44 am

I too see West Jet codesharing with B6 before WN. One reason is because Neeleman, JetBlue's CEO, helped launch West Jet. So wouldn't one think that an airline would link with an airline that has similar ideas and strategies? At least I would.

But as it has been said up there, the codesharing would be pretty much useless unless JetBlue starts expanding their route structure a lot more. Perhaps in a few years this would be a 'go'.

JetBluefan1

FLYACYYZ

Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:48 am

Not a chance. Westjet is role modeled directly from Southwest. One of the defining factors of WN's success -

NO INTERLINE AGREEMENTS!

B6 has however shown interest in the Canadian market ex JFK, while WN has never shown any.

Above and Beyond

Goose

Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:57 am

Not a chance. Westjet is role modeled directly from Southwest. One of the defining factors of WN's success -

NO INTERLINE AGREEMENTS!

WestJet and Southwest have made a history of turning their respective markets (indeed, the entire industry) on their heads with innovation, and consistantly changing the mold of what an LCC can and will do. LCCs have been able to do quite a few things "Legacy" carriers do, except they're "faster, cheaper, better." Airline alliances might go the same way.
"Talk to me, Goose..."