flyyul

Embry-Riddle University

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:22 pm

Does anybody here have any opinions on Embry-Riddle University.

Im told its an excellent school

anything else.

Mark

captaingomes

RE: Embry-Riddle University

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:27 pm

Embry Riddle doesn't have a campus in Quebec.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

B747-437B

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:29 pm

Embry Riddle doesn't have a campus in Quebec.

Getting one in Ontario soon though!
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

propjock04

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:33 pm

It does offer several excellent programs. I admit, I am biased being that I am a recent graduate of the Prescott, AZ campus. There are, however, other universities that offer a similar quality program for a cheaper price. UND and Western Michigan are a couple of examples. With Riddle you are paying for the name. It just depends what you are looking for...if you want to get out of the cold then Riddle is the way to go (AZ and FL campuses!)

Michael

frontiers4ever

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:37 pm

Its all right but extremely expensive. I am partial to UND (University of North Dakota) because I am a student here. I looked at Embry-Riddle for 3 seconds, I saw the price and think it is overpriced. UND and Embry are like two Cadillac at two different dealerships, one is overpriced and the other is fairly priced and you get the same exact product, both are offering quality educations but one is more affordable. Others may disagree about UND and Embry-Riddle but quality airlines go to both schools and recruit. Some will disagree with me and they are titled to their own opinion. This is my opinion.
Also yes it is cold here UND but you get better weather flying then in FL and AZ, colder weather=better performance.

-Frontiers4ever

[Edited 2004-02-06 06:39:49]
Until you prove, your right, your wrong

captaingomes

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:37 pm

Yup, there will be one in Ontario, but not Quebec.  Smile
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

tu154m

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:39 pm

The same programs can be found for ALOT cheaper elsewhere. Like it was said in previous posts......you pay for the name. I think now, in hindsight, there are equal programs elsewhere. Daytona is a nice place to go to college. When I was at Riddle, there were NO girls........one big sausage party, which kinda puts a damper on the social life many people expect when going off to college!!!
S
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

cancidas

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:40 pm

there have been quite a few thread about riddle here. i do have a few opinions about the school after going there for 3 years. basically if you go there youre paying for a name. if youre serious about being a pilot i suggest getting a degree in anything, as long as it doesn cost you $120,000 + flight training) and go to a school that is connected with a regional airline. you get the same education at any school, nothing spectacular comes out of riddle campuses. if you would like to know the background of my opinions or more just email me. believe me, there is a lot more to tell but i just dont feel like typing right now.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

HlywdCatft

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:44 pm

**The same programs can be found for ALOT cheaper elsewhere. Like it was said in previous posts......you pay for the name. I think now, in hindsight, there are equal programs elsewhere. Daytona is a nice place to go to college. When I was at Riddle, there were NO girls........one big sausage party, which kinda puts a damper on the social life many people expect when going off to college!!!**

Thats really changed lately. Although females are still a minority there, I would say its 60% male now, 40% female, a big change from when I first visited the campus in spring 2001.

propjock04

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:50 pm

As you have noticed the mere mention of Riddle is quite polarizing. It seems like people either love it or hate it. Having the name attached to your diploma does open doors, though. It opened doors for me. In the aviation market of today, I want EVERY possible advantage I can get.

Michael

apcaz8

Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:55 pm

Lets not forget about the #3 aviation flight school in the country, Southern Illinois University Carbondale. http://www.aviation.siu.edu I went there for 3 semesters and its a great school for flight, again as others stated since i went there im bias but overall a great school, good airport, nice facilities, though as girls were mentioned SIU is more of an tech/engineering school  Insane so its more male than female, not sure on exact numbers, but a great school with a good reputation for flight as well as UND and ERAU.

wingnutmn

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:03 pm

It is overpriced!! I go to UND, and am a senior, I looked at going to Embry-Riddle, Purdue, Western Michigan, and a couple other good schools. I settled on UND because of the price, the ability to get another major outside of aviation, and the fact that there are 4 real and complete seasons up here. I figured that I could learn to fly in any type of weather. AND we have won more national flying championships in the last 10 years than any other school in the country (just trying to tute our horn). Flying at UND I realized that it is the only place in the country that you can't fly in the summer because it is too hot, and you can't fly in the winter because it is too cold. Hopefully this opinion helps.

Wingnut
Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing! It's a bonus if you can fly the plane again!!

kalakaua

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:07 pm

Come to Embry-Riddle only for the Engineering Program (B.S. Aeronautical Engineering @ DB is ranked #1 and Prescott is #3)... It's well worth it. If you're thinking about coming to ERAU for Aeronautical Science, spend your $36000+ elsewhere. It's worth the $36000+ but there are other places to learn how to fly at a cheaper price. Average tuition for other than AS is around $28000. ERAU is a really great aviation school only for Engineering and Math/Sciences, but for AS, you should just go to UND.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

ua777222

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:26 pm

You pay for what you get. That doesn't mean that you buy your way into the aviation world it just means though you can get the same info and credits somewhere else when you apply for a job and see Embry Riddle they will most likely take the ER over other schools. I have talked to them before and they say that if you are going to become a pilot w/ them that you shouldn't show up w/ a ppl weather your a 44hr or a 500hr. Their claim to fame is how every thing they do is always the best of the best. I don't think it's over priced but that's because in my family education will always come first no matter what the costs are. But I do agree if you are on a budget that Embry Riddle is a little out of your rage. But you can transfer into them when you have enough $$ saved up. They have a very high acceptance rate for new pilots. Even tho it's the $44,000 a year slots you gotta start somewhere!

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

kalakaua

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:36 pm

Uhh... I don't think BSAS as ERAU cost $44000, dude.... It's between $35000 and $41000, and that includes everything except laundry service.  Nuts
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

DeltaJAX

Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:40 pm

Do they provide headset, books and supplies as well?

NWFltAttendant

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:17 pm

Steer clear of ANY distance learning classes. I had a horrible experience last Spring with them. None of the instructors emailed me back in the first week with questions I had. Its pretty shoddy (at least the distance learning part) and also heard the same from people in this area about it.
Go yakkin !!!!!!

Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:43 pm

I'll just say this about ERAU (and leave out my own poor personal impressions of it):

I had an airline recruiting/hiring manager tell me that he could look at a room full of applicants and within five minutes pick out every single Embry-Riddle graduate just by observation. Another five minutes, and he could narrow it to Prescott or Daytona. All based on attitude and behavior, and not in a good way.

ROSWELL41

Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:57 pm

I will refrain from judging Riddle. I go to Purdue University. We have the best collegiate flight program in the country. Look at UND and W Mich, but I think you'll agree that Purdue is tops. www.purdue.edu
Look under Technology / Aviation Technology

-Mike

TKMCE

Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:26 pm

Go to Cranfield for their post graduate management programme in Air Transport. On an average 10% of the intake are ERAU grads. That says it all!

greenguy01

Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:46 pm

I am a Purdue grad and when I was looking at schools I had to make a decision between Purdue, UND, Riddle, and Daniel Webster. I thought that DW was too small and I hadn't really heard of them before. UND sounded good but I wasn't sure that I could deal with the harsh winters. I think that Riddle has a great reputation in the industry but I didn't want to go to an all aviation college. What would happen if I didn't like my aviation classes? (Yeah right). I was very happy with my decision in going to Purdue. I got a great aviation education and there is a very good alumni base out there which can help when you are trying to get a job or internship. Go Boilers!
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

usnseallt82

Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:51 pm

I'd say Embry-Riddle is a good investment for your money, especially if you want to get into mainstream flight operations with major carriers or military forces. The U.S. Air Force has been using the school for many years now, since they offer superb distance learning classes that are done all over the nation. I'm not sure how deep they are into Canada, but I would imagine that it is probably somewhere near you.

I'd say go for it, because once you get that degree, no matter what the cost, it will be with you forever. And, with a degree stating a school like Embry-Riddle on it, you really have a huge advantage over most people coming out of smaller schools.

Best of luck to you and I hope to see you in the air someday!  Big thumbs up

Cheers!
Crye me a river

warszawa

Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:56 pm

What would " UND " stand for?
Flying a plane is no diff. from riding a bicycle. Its just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes. -'Airplane'

jetskipper

Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:59 pm

As an airline pilot in this current economic environment I would recommend not going to an aviation school at all. What I would suggest is going to the local state college and getting a degree in business, MIS, human resources, etc. While earning your degree go to the local FBO and do your flying on the side, in the long run it should be a little cheaper this way. However, this will give you an opportunity to have other carrer options when you get furloughed....and if you have a 30 year airline career you most likely will get furloughed at some point.

chepos

Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:27 pm

FLYYUL the best advice I can give you, is visit the school. ERAU is a good school, yes its expensive (but hey nowadays most schools are). This is my Junior year at Riddle and I can't complain, its not the best university in the country but it has it's prestige in the aviation world. Go to earu.edu it will give you a good idea on what the school is all about and then schedule a campus tour with the university. No matter what some of you around here say a diplomma with the ERAU name on it has its advantages.
Check out UND and Purdue Ive heard they are good too.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

chepos

Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:29 pm

Warszawa
UND- University of North Dakota- Too cold and far away from a big city for me.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

DC10type

Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:51 pm

To all; Make sure you read Jetskippers response!! 3 up from this.

I've got a BS in geology from Univ of Montana--long time ago and an MBA from Embry Riddle. Don't use either. During airline interviews, the MBA made very little difference. Just get a descent degree and fly elsewhere. (USAF)

Good luck and expect at least 1 furlough (have a backup)

CL

trnswrld

Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:52 am

I recently graduated from ERAU in Daytona this last december. I spent three years in the aeronautical science degree then finished my career in Air Traffic Management. I received my private pilots license and instrument rating at riddle and must say their flying program is top notch. It is very airline like oriented in regards to their procedures etc etc. The campus is excellent, the new COA building is very nice and the new ATC labs on the third floor are the best there are. Overall I highly recommend ERAU if you can afford it. I enjoyed it.

I never looked into Perdue or UND, but I can tell you one thing, you couldnt pay me to live in North Dakota!

learjet25

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:02 am

I graduated from another program and got the same degree for less than half of the cost. I work with a guy from ERAU and he is not the favorite of anyone aound here. Not saying I am, but I have never met anyone disliked by more people in one place. His attitude is so bad it hillarious. I can't even go into it it is so bad there is not enough room to talk about it. On the other hand I'm perfect yeah right.  Smile

MEA321

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:11 am

I am going to say what everyone else is saying...If you can afford Embry Riddle it is well worth it. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I can't say that enough. In the end you will have a respectable diploma on your wall (and your resume), and a great education if you graduate from ERAU. I am currently a junior at the Daytona Beach campus, next year I will graduate with a degree in Aviation Business Administration.

The nice thing about Embry Riddle is that the professors have an aviation background, and as you take the senior courses most of the professors prepare you to move into the aviation industry better than any other school I believe.

One suggestion that I have for most people is not to take the general education at Riddle. Take all of your literature, math, writing courses somewhere else and transfer the credits into Embry Riddle. Overall I think the university is great, the academics are unmatched and the reputation of the school has held up for many years.

MEA321
MEA321

SlamClick

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:12 am

I've heard ERAU grads call it "the Harvard of the air." I have NEVER heard anyone else call it that. It may be a fair nickname if you are talking about cost. Personally if I could afford ERAU (and was just starting out) I would go to Purdue instead. Or I would go to UND and buy an airplane for time-building with the difference in cost. More likely though, based on what I know now - I'd get a non-aviation degree in some loss-of-medical career field and I'd stay current in it. You have no idea how fragile your flying career is!

I have seen ERAU grads pull out a wallet-size copy of their diploma during an interview. They did not get hired. Think about it! Either:

• The interviewer is an ERAU grad himself and so, is not impressed. or

• He is not and thinks the display arrogant and/or misguided.

• The late Herb Caen who wrote a wonderful column for the San Francisco Chronicle for decades used to say: "If the stranger you just met went to Stanford he will tell you so within the first thirty seconds." In the case of Stanford this pride (or conceit) may be justified.

Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:17 am

There is a definite attitude around Embry-Riddle.
    Having heard from several graduates, they could see the attitude on campus between students.
    Example: When there are events where teams or representatives from various aviation schools meet, it's typically the ERAU folks who won't talk to anybody else or take part in activities they don't have to.

PVD757

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:36 am

I agree with MEA321, you get what you put into it. I studied and got good grades and have been able to apply my education and the "name" throughout my relatively young aviation career. I think it is great for NON-PILOT programs. Engineering, Aviation Management, etc are worth the price. The entire program is based on the aviation industry, so if you're sure that is what you want to do in life, do it. I'd say it's a worthwhile experience, but like everything in in life, isn't all things to all people. ERAU is a very well established school in the industry, is argueably the most recognized, and has strong support facilities for the education.

SSTjumbo

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:50 am

Lewis University, if at all interested, has to be the most underrated flight program in the country. It's a small school outside of Chicago on a fairly nice corporate airport. If you get the St. John Baptiste DeLasalle scholarship, i.e. the bull$#!+ c'mon scholarship, half your tuition will be paid for, and only $7500 a year will be left to cover. Flight time is on top of that, but with the savings you get on tuition at Lewis it basically pays for itself. Plus, Lewis is home to the most underrated Men's Basketball team in the country though it's only Div. II. The only bad is that now we're home to the most overrated Men's Volleyball team in the country since we won the NCAA overall last year. Check it out at http://www.lewisu.edu
    I don't know, so this is my signature.

Night_Flight

Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:21 am

The UND Aerospace vs. Embry Riddle is a popular question. They are both exceptional schools as well as many others are. I started at UND in 1997 and graduated from UND in 2001. It took only four years to graduate which gave me my CFII. I am currently flight instructing for UND Aerospace (MEI). One of my best friends from my hometown recently graduated from ERAU-Prescott campus and we keep in close contact.

I’m not here to say one is better than the other because the answer depends on what you are looking for.

Here is a link which gives some additional opinions on UND and ERAU.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1051820/

I hope this helps!

-Night_Flight-

Remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous?

Olympic A-340

Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:51 am

It depends what you want to do with you career in aviation. I am going to be attending Embry Riddle's Daytona campus for Aeronautical Engineering this fall. However, I strongly advise that if you want to become a pilot to consider a different path. My ultimate goal is to be a corporate pilot, and I am getting all of my ratings at my local FBO where it is a much cheaper, economical, and a more viable solution as opposed to recieving my ratings through Embry Riddle and their Aeronautical Science major. Why spend thousands of dollars for the same ratings that you can get at a perfectly qualified FBO or flight school? Come checkride time, you will be evaluated by an FAA examiner whether you went to Riddle or not for training, so why spend so much more money when it doesn't matter so much in the long run. I am attending their engineering program for 2 reasons. A. it is a backup in case my flying doesn't work out and it is also a very good complement to my flying in that I am sure I will gain lots of insight to the actual workings of an airplane; and B. Riddle's engineering program is ranked number 1 for not offering a Ph.D.

Numerous students tell me though, that if you are considering flying at Embry Riddle good luck. I for one know that students come out of there with less than 50 hours of multi time and about 200 hrs or so total. I already have 150 hours total (70 of which is multi time.....and I already have my private, multi, half way through my instrument in less than 1.5 yrs) Even their CFIIs don't get much multi time at all. If you want a job in flying, it is the multi-engine time that matters. Flying at Riddle is very hard because you have to beat the system in order to do it properly. Ask any current or future student at Embry Riddle and they will tell you about the so-called "Riddle Run-Around." I am not going to Embry Riddle for the name.

I am a Florida resident and the only other school that offers Aero. Engineering is University of MIA which is actually considerably more $$ than Embry Riddle. It has a good reputation in aviation, but remember, it is not reputation that gets you a job. If you have any questions drop me an email at AirplaneStud@hotmail.com
    I suggest you check out www.erau.edu and find their forum for prospective/current students. It is most informative.

Kind regards,
    Olympic A-340

Devil505x

Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:10 am

ERAU in Prescott is ok if you don't want a life. There isn't much to do in Prescott unless you are old and retired. Then its really nice becasue it is very relaxing and there is plenty of sight seeing to do. It isn't always warm there it gets pretty cold in the winter(5000ft+ elev.) We even had class cancelled once because of snow. Don't go by what you hear or see from the school because college is a business and hey lets face it they need to sell their product. If you can get to Phoenix go because there is plenty to do there (100mi away).I know this because I went to ERAU Prescott.
    Here is how I rate it on a scale of 1-10 (10 is best)
    Social life 2
    College parties (non-existent compared to Arizona St parties) 1
    Weather 8
    Male Female ratio 1
    Flying 10 (Hey you get to go to LAS, IGM, PHX, etc)
    PS- A party consists of sitting out in the Desert at night with a six pack

jfklganyc

Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:29 am

I want to ERAU in Daytona Beach. It is expensive, but if you want a career in aviation (specifically flying) it is hand down the best private school in the world.

PJ

flysc

Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:53 am

Well I am a student at the ERAU Daytona Beach campus. I have really enjoyed going to the school and I think that it is an outstanding school. If you come here you will find out the the price is quite hefty. That is the one thing that most students hate the most. That and the lack of females. If you plan to do ROTC we have the best AFROTC unit in the nation and it is the largest. We also have great Navy and Army ROTC programs. Unfortunately I do not know much about these other schools. If you are interested in the school, check it out on the internet and come visit the campus.
    Fly Safely,
    Jason D.
    I do not fail!!! I succede at finding what does not work!!!

tu154m

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:24 pm

One more tidbit from my days there:
    What does ERAU stand for????
    Every Rich A$$holes University
    Erections Rendered Absolutely Useless
    It was also called Embry-Ripoff by those who had been there awhile!
    S
    CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

744BFA

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:30 pm

I am a Junior at ERAU in the Business Program and eventhough there are things that I don't like about the university such as being required to take either chemisty or physics as part of our Business degree. It is overall a very good investment. I have had the opportunity to network with many high profile people in the the aviation industry. The professors here will help you getting jobs within the industry. In fact ,with some help from a high level professor, I am getting Lamar Muse to come to ERAU to speak later this month, which I'm ecstatic about. From my experience I find that ERAU will help get your foot in the door.

744BFA

N323ER

Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:59 pm

It is a good school graduated in 2003. My only thing is the $$$$  Smile My advice is to take all the classes there and then fly off campus. I did all my training at Phonix East

RYAN AIRTRAN
    RYAN SCAIFE

cancidas

Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:05 pm

Do they provide headset, books and supplies as well?

NO!

What does ERAU stand for????
    Every Rich A$$holes University
    Erections Rendered Absolutely Useless

HAHAHA that was great!! i needed that today, although i wish i knew that before i went there......
    "...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

kalakaua

Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:15 pm

I'm not rich, and not from a well-to-do family. I worked my A$$ off in high school to get all the scholarships I needed to attend this school. Being an engineer has always been my dream, and I won't let anything get in my way. Schooling, in general, is expensive... Every college is expensive. I'm proud to be one of the Golden Eagles of ERAU.

But I agree that Erections ARE Rendered Absolutely Useless here... And I, too, wished that I knew that before I came here...

MRb757

Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:21 pm

Try Delta Connection Academy!!! I go there its a great school. It's owned by Delta!!!

Fly2HMO

Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:18 pm

holy cow, I'm due to enter this fall, and then these guys come here to downrate ERAU. I better not return to this thread or I'll start getting 2nd thoughts.

I'm very far from being rich, and neither are my grades impressive, but I know that I belong there. I liked the campus very much (PRC). And besides, nothing looks better than Embry-Riddle in your resume!!!

B757capt

Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:53 pm

Kansas State University @ Salina 13,353 foot runway. Lots of great traffic and a Part 141 outstanding Flight school. 30 brandnew Cessna 172R Aircraft!

http://www.sal.ksu.edu
    The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos