flyyul

AC Still Does NOT Have Access To BEY

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:59 am

Dear BEY fans,

I regret to inform you that the AC BEY process is still in the same process as day no.1..... the government wont allow it.

I was told that if AC ever gets permission, they will jump on the route faster than you can think Big grin .. there is apparently tremendous profit potential on this specific route, and im sorry to say that politics still will not allow it...  Sad

Keep faith guys, it'll happen sooner or later Big grin (hopefully while we are still alive  Big thumbs up)

Mark

cayman

RE: AC Still Does NOT Have Access To BEY

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:43 am

That is a shame--hopefully they can work it out--

I implore the inevitable posters to avoid turning this into an anit-American rant of drivel as they have on this issue before--there is no doubt a valid reason exists for the Govt of Canada's reluctance,--in earlier threads way too many posters have played the smug and holier than thou Canadian card--

It will be a good route if AC can get it going--and it is a shame it is delayed--but kindly do not turn this into the predictable left wing soap box of anti-American anti-Bush bollocks that often is generated by this topic--that has nothing to do with this issue--

The aviation issue is whether hopefully AC can satisfy whatever concerns there might be and get the route going--

Skywatcher

Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:38 am

Nonsense.

I don't mean to over simplify the issue but how could virtually every European airline operate flights to Beruit while AC is prohibited from doing the same?

This is not left wing rhetoric but simply a question of good old fashioned common sense.

MEA310

Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:48 am

That is sad news actually,this route could generate AC some real profits,don't know why the government hasn't permitted it yet;it definitely has to do with security measures concerns...sad.

MEA310
M5 Fastest Sedan On Earth

airxliban

Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:33 am

I think it is just a matter of time.

Imagine the scene at BEY:

AA 777
DL 763
CO 764
UA 744
MEA A345
MEA Concorde
MEA A321
MEA A330
MEA A380
JAL 743
LX A343
AC A343
RAF VC-10
SAA A346
VS A346
QF 744
OA A343
AZ M11
CY A332
Air Tahiti Nui (forgot their code) A346
Aeroflot IL-96
CX 773
AF 773ER

I recommend two terminals and 3 runways, one for MEA with 2 runways and one "other" terminal for all the other airlines.

The ramp scene at BEY will be great!
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

yul332LX

Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:51 am

**Keep faith guys, it'll happen sooner or later (hopefully while we are still alive )**
Hopefully while AC is still alive!

I agree with Cayman. I'm not sure what king of game the Can govt is playing. There is something I don't understand in this decision. If I remember correctly, AC made a stop in FRA last summer while operating to BEY. But I don't know if they had to get the pax out of the plane. If no, makes it even harder to follow because, really, what's the difference between flying, say, YUL-BEY directly or flying YUL-FRA-BEY if they use the same plane without inspecting the plane before each legs? If that was the case, I'd say that they are very precautious and probably have some specific intels to do so. But right now, that sounds like a Bush policy...

FLYYUL, has the govt made his decision official on this matter now?
I guess that kills the trill of trying what type of plane AC would operate ont this flight...

By the way, that was my first post, but I've been reading you guys about AC in this Forum for many months now.
E volavo, volavo felice più in alto del sole, e ancora più su mentre il mondo pian piano spariva lontano laggiù ...

flyyul

Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:54 am

Hey.. and welcome to the board!

This is what I learned today, I dont know too much more than that.

Last year, AC did YUL-FRA.. and then LH did FRA-BEY in conjunction. Not more or less.

Mark

FLYACYYZ

Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:23 am

Canadian Government Politics?
American Intervention?
Will it be a codeshare with MEA?
Will they fly the A340?

The bottom line despite all of the optimism...As of press time (NOW)

THERE IS NOT A SINGLE, SOLITARY, AVAILABLE AIRCRAFT IN THE FLEET TO FLY THE ROUTE!

However, in the words of Airline Lingo Talk...."Subject to Change"

[Edited 2004-02-06 23:31:15]
Above and Beyond

yegbey01

Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:01 am

Mark,

Can you enlighten us regading the sources of this new piece of info.

flyyul

Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:17 am

YegBey,

Sorry buddy not online... kindly send me an email and we'll talk it out in private Big grin.

Mark

yegbey01

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:27 am

Mark,

Thanks for the email

BA

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:58 am

What a shame..............

Well, it's time to move on. Nothing we can do I'm afraid.....

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

toBEYwithMEA

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:26 pm

FLYYUL,
Where did you get this info because I was told by a pilot that AC will fly to BEY.
Plus last summer there was a article in a local magizine (in Beirut) saying that AC's operation were canceled but the Canadian gov paid they 6 million dollars to cover the flight.And it said THE OFFICALS WILL MOST PROBABLY ALLOW the CANADIAN CARRIER TO PICK UP THE FLIGHT IN THE SUMMER OF 2004. 6 million that more than MEA's total profits. Imagine if MEA could fly there.

toBEYwithMEA
Hey Air Liban you should see my fantasies. But I'm sure one day they all come ture

toBEYwithMEA
MEA FLYING HIGH AND RETURING TO IT FORMER GLORY!

flyyul

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:33 pm

Sir..

I assure you that the word has been passed down by someone you would trust.

Im not making this crap up... its the most "direct" truth and the most reliable truth since this whole speculation ordeal.

Mark

toBEYwithMEA

Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:50 pm

Mark,
I did not say you made anything up. I was just wondering because my uncle happened to be the pilot telling me this information and i really trust him like any nephew would. so I would like to disscuss this with him and say where i got my info. I belived you from your first statement, ok

toBEYwithMEA

yegbey01

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:01 pm

To BEY with MEA,

Air Canada WANTS to fly to BEY. But they are not getting clearance from the government. Your uncle is telling you the truth. But our government here in Canada doesn't make their ownn decisions all the time. Our neighbours sometimes tell us what to do.... It's a shame but I am sure OS, OK, LH and all the European carriers wouldn't mind....

toBEYwithMEA

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:06 pm

Yeah i guess your right Yegbey01
toBEYwithMEA

flyyul

Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:47 pm

TBeywithMEA,

Man im not trying to be rude or anything.

This is a frustration to me. We'll see I guess.

Mark

toBEYwithMEA

Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:04 pm

Mark,
I feel your pain and i know that your not trying to be rude, you are a BEY fan (i think) delivering the news and it happen to be bad.
well lets forget about YUL and foucs on GRU there more chance of that coming ture.
toBEYwithMEA

MEA310

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:40 pm

AirxLiban

That is one interesting list you've made,if it weren't for the MEA Concorde I would've said that this could happen  Big grin

MEA310
M5 Fastest Sedan On Earth

cedarjet

Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:46 pm

How can we discuss this without being anti-Bush? It's not as though Canada has a huge problem with the Middle East.

Maybe MEA will operate the route instead.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

airmale

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:30 pm

Interestingly Air Canada do not fly to any Muslim country, I even wrote to them in 1996 bringing the fact to their attention, specifically mentioning Morocco, Pakistan and Malaysia as their airlines were operating there and considering the large number of immigrants who are from those countries and contributing to the Canadian economy, they did reply that in the future they plan to add Pakistan but its nearing a decade to that and yet there's no Muslim country in their network I would have expected them to have been atleast in Morocco or Malaysia by now, Since then Egypt has also come onboard.

America allowed their carrier to fly to Egypt and Saudi Arabia, so why not Air Canada to Lebanon.

[Edited 2004-02-07 14:39:25]
.....up there with the best!

cedarjet

Sat Feb 07, 2004 10:48 pm

Because Saudi and Egypt are US protectorates where the gov'ts follow instructions from Washington in exchange for billions of dollars (in the case of Egypt) and other assistance / protection (Saudi).

Lebanon, on the other hand, kicked the Americans out in 1983 (Reagan invaded Granada to distract the voters from the humiliating sight of 241 "peacekeepers" being flown home from Beirut in coffins - the highest US one-day death toll since WW2) and since then Lebanon has been free of US interference. Washington doesn't like this. Richard Perle himself said the Lebanese owe a "blood debt" that has to be "extracted". This is a matter of record in case it sounds as nutty to you as it does to me.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Marco

Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:33 am

Airmale,

Why must you always bring religion into airline issues? AC is not interested in serving destinations because of the religious make up, rather they go for demand. In this case, there's a lot of demand on the BEY-YUL route. Anyway Lebanon is not a Muslim country. It's a Christian/Muslim country.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

airmale

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:04 am

Malaysia is 55% Muslim the rest are all other faiths, its identified as a Muslim country and its a member of the OIC, a grouping of countries where Muslims are in majority, of which Lebanon which has 60-70% Muslim population is also a member and is thus identified as a Muslim country, even if the state religion is not officially Islam, where ever Muslims are the majority its a Muslim country, same goes for any other faith, Israel is Jewish, Thailand and Sri Lanka are Bhuddist, India and Nepal are Hindu because of the majority, Bali Island in Muslim Indonesia is Hindu because of the majority nobody calls it Muslim, so if Christians were the majority or equal in Lebanon and it was not a member of OIC, I would not call it Muslim.

BA

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:14 am

Will you stop bringing religion into this thread? What the hell does religion have to do with AC serving BEY?

Just stop it, end it right now........

Sheesh.......
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

yyz717

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:15 am

Why must you always bring religion into airline issues? AC is not interested in serving destinations because of the religious make up, rather they go for demand.

I agree with Marco. I can't believe someone would write a letter to AC reminding them that they do not fly to a Muslim nation. Incredible. Irrelevant. AC flies to countries based on market & profit demand. Whether that includes Muslim nations is not relevant.

Anyway, regarding BEY -- is AC lobbying the Cdn govt for authority or is BEY considered a dead issue right now? It seems likely (whether fair or not) that AC will not gain rights to BEY until US-Lebanon relations improve which could take a long time.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

airmale

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:17 am

Why? does religion scare you? ironic that in 20 years AC have never flown to any Muslim country despite the large Muslim community there.

yyz717

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:25 am

ironic that in 20 years AC have never flown to any Muslim country despite the large Muslim community there.

As suggested, there is obvously no profit potential.

Anyway, Muslims account for only 1-2% of Canada's population so the M community is not large. They also originate from many Muslim nations which tends to scatter the market.

Why is whether AC flies to a Muslim nation so important anyway????

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

airmale

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:29 am

Its not important, I just thought there was a large enough community there to have AC flying a 762ER to somewhere, considerng the fact that PIA were a 747, Royal Jordanian were an L1011, RAM and Malaysia airlines were 744's but then again they dont even fly to sub-saharan black Africa, US Carriers in better days have been everywhere.

airxliban

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:36 am

Airmale, Lebanon is not a muslim country. It has nothing to do with this topic anyway. Religion is not a reason why airlines operate to certain destinations...passenger traffic is! Keep in mind that AC is not in tip top financial shape...why should they open a route if they aren't sure that it will be successful?

airmale

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:48 am

Lebanon is not a Muslim country? read this http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/le.html, 70% Muslim and 30% Christain, what does it make it then? why is it in OIC which only has Muslim and majority Muslim member states? have AC ever operated to a Muslim country?

airxliban

Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:01 am

WHO CARES IF AC HAS OPERATED TO A MUSLIM COUNTRY!!!!!!!!

Having a muslim majority does not make a country muslim. Lebanon was founded by Christians and the division of powers is set up so that religious groups have equal say. The original areas which constituted the historical lebanon are christian. If you are interested in what has changed since then, go read a book about it. In the meantime, go start yourself a new thread on AC flying to muslim countries.

Sonic

Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:03 am

Lebanon is a muslim country because there is a muslim majority. In Lithuania we have 70% catholics and it is called a catholic country, although there is no state religion.
South African Republic was founded by whites. Is it a white country because of it?

Back to the topic now - I find it quite shameful that a government of democratic country doesn't allows it's carrier to fly somewhere. I would understand if government of a country fly is going to land at would refuse rights for political/safety reasons (e.g. Arab countries refusing El Al (and vice versa), China refusing Tawanese planes, etc.), but why would a democratic country stop it's own airline from opperating a route?.. If it is for safety, than I am sure people who would fly to Beirut would understand what risks they are taking (I don't think these risks are too big anyway).

[Edited 2004-02-08 01:04:49]

airmale

Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:08 am

Why dont you calm down, did I abuse you? is the word Muslim a threat to you I know you're the 'other' Lebanese, chill man.

A Majority Identifies the Country's Status, regardless of the official stance. France may be secular but majority of its population is Christain so I call it a Christain country, its definitely not Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist or even atheist.

airxliban

Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:16 am

Airmale, don't assume what I am and what I am not.

its obvious that this thread isn't about if AC flies to a muslim country or not. If you are so interested start a separate thread.

What the hell is a "status"?

and what official governing body came up with that quote?

What some country has 50.1% Protestant and 49.9% Catholic, are you going to call it a Protestant country? Or sorry, a Protestant status country?

In a place like Lebanon where there are more than one significantly large religious groups who are both active in government, business etc, it is not accurate to label the country as one or the other.

Now be my guest if you want to call Saudi Arabia a muslim country.

airmale

Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:24 am

Please, for your information Lebanon is a Muslim country just as is Malaysia, sects dont really matter, Iraq is Muslim with the Shia sect in the majority so is Iran which is Shia, they're both Muslim, I dont call them Shia countries, so the Protestant/Catholic example would be a Christain country.

Any ways its late now I'm sleepy, Ma As Salaam va Shab Ba Khair.

yegbey01

Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:31 am

Why has this turned into a religious discussion.

Lebanon Pre 1920 had a slight christian majority. But the French decided, Lebanon should encompass more than what it really was and they created the nowadays Lebanon.

But, Air Canada doesn't cater only to certain religions or countries.. It's all about viability. If the business makes sense, they will jump in.

There are christian Lebanese living in Canada than moslems. But that doesn;t mean that Air Canada only wants to serve chrsitians.....Silly idea!!!

Can we talk about aviation.....Thank you all!

Marco

Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:52 pm

Actually if we were to get into percentages, there are more Lebanese Christians if you take into account the Lebanese who have immigrated. Anyway Airmale, this thread is about AC and BEY. Please don't add anymore irrelevant comments.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

airxliban

Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:08 pm

we could discuss this issue to death. but it is non aviation related and in any event there is no comparing Malaysia and Lebanon.

Airmale...get it into your head that Lebanon is not a muslim country.

we have discussed the issue of AC access to BEY and it looks like we just have to wait for official news.

i'm done with this thread. I look forward to hearing concrete news next month about MEA's fleet plans, as well as information on flying to yul (if there is any change on this) and putting my hopes in GRU.

yegbey01

Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:46 pm

The only thing that we are hearing is that some MEA captains are convinced that there wil be fligts between YUL and BEY.

But based on this thread... I think that plan's moot.

Maybe GRU will work out!

toBEYwithMEA

Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:41 pm

Peolpe,
Look this is the same kind of argument that led the very nation that we are talking about (Lebanon) to kill 1000's of lives, destroy one of the world most azaming cities, and destroy that nations aviation sector (which is what we should be talking about!!) . Since the war in Lebanon NO BODY HAS REFERRED TO IT A MUSLIM or CHRISTIAN NATION-- AND DON'T BRING IT UP !!! Beirut is 50/50 some parts of beirut is 80/20. The norther of Lebanon area excluding Tripoli is 90/10 with more christians and the south excluding some parts is 90/20 with more muslims. And what kind of idoit compares Malasiya to Lebanon. In any way or form. If you go to Beirut You will not feel that there are more muslims than christians- Trust me I live there. Oh, Air Liban Those letters you put in big and bold--- Here Here

I got a question today I'm flying ME443 DMM-BEY A321 to go back home what seats are the best in Cedar Class. I mean legroom wise. ??

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alastair T. Gardiner

toBEYwithMEA

oh and guys Cedarjets have been to Canada but not on profit making trips This 707 and a A310

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Pierre Langlois

toBEYwithMEA

airxliban

Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:55 pm

Hey ToBEYwithMEA,

I think the most legroom seat is the one in front of the door. Im going to suggest to http://www.seatguru.com that they include MEA A321 and A330 on their map.

Lets see...on the A321 I'm trying to remember i am pretty sure that door #2 is still in Cedar Cabin. So seat with most legroom would be the one behind the door. This is towards the back of the cabin...damn I wish I could think of the seat number!!

Anyway, have a safe trip home and enjoy MEA on behalf of us!

toBEYwithMEA

Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:22 pm

ok Air Liban,
My uncle is the pilot so i can get some info tonight Thanks.
but www.seatguru.com does not have MEA
toBEYwithMEA

airmale

Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:28 pm

ToBEYwithMEA, Whats idiotic about comparing Malaysia and Lebanon? infact you and your chums sound more like it to me for being blind to the fact that Malaysia with just 55% Muslims is considered a Muslim country while for you Lebanon with 70% is not, weird.

Rant all you want I'm not interested in this discussion anymore 70% Muslim(all sects included), 30% Christian according to the CIA says it all.

Now the country can claim secularity or atheism or whatever but the truth is something else, it need nor carry an "Islamic Republic" tag to identify it as such, and for your information Indonesia was Hindu, Iran was Zorastrian, Afghanistan was Bhuddist(or partially), Pakistan was in India, some of the central Asian countries were created by USSR, they did not exist prior to that, today all these countries identify themselves as Muslim, Spain was ruled by Muslims at their zenith for 800 years, can I put up an argument based on that fact and call it a Muslim country today? NO!, so the France and Christian's founding Lebanon bit is not valid anymore.

Anyways I wish AC do get to fly to Beirut soon.

[Edited 2004-02-08 13:03:00]

toBEYwithMEA

Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:10 pm

Airmale, Maybe you should know this. Before the War in Lebanon the population 50/50 christian/muslim. After the war the muslim population increased because of the large amount of Palestinian people moving into Lebanon. Which is why thye nation now has a higher muslim population. So what if the French settled Lebanon. Christians have lived there since the religon was made, so have muslims. Lebanon is not a "muslim nation". Now, right now I'm in Saudi Arabia this is a muslim nation. I take back my comment on the idot thing it was early in mornig here and i was a bit off track. I still don't think we should compare Beirut to Maylasiya but i regret the way i said it before.
fromDMM toBEYwithMEA

FLYACYYZ

Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:51 am

You guys need to give this topic a rest!!
Forget the religious babble.
Forget somebodys Uncle who works for MEA who knows more about Air Canada, than those of us who work for the company.

Comes down to 3 items:

1) Profit Potential on the Route
2) Aircraft Availability
3) Government Approval

When these three criteria are met, we'll see you in Beirut.
That, and when Ayatollah Milton says we can fly there.
Above and Beyond

Marco

Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:27 pm

ToBEYwithMEA,

Habibi forget about Airmale. He always makes these provoking comments. As long as we correct him, that's all that matters. Let him argue as long as he wants.

Back to the topic please. AC to BEY.
Proud to be an Assyrian!

kanebear

Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:44 pm

Discussing whether or not AC has served a Muslim country makes about as much sense as discussing what Bush and the US government think of AC serving BEY. Canadian carrier, Canadian route authority, Canadian government. Last I checked, Canada WAS NOT a 51st state and had soverign authority over her own affairs. Bush & co have precisely nothing to say about AC serving BEY. Likely that they don't know and don't care if or when AC will serve the route. If they had that much influence, Canada would've had Cuba embargoed long ago, Cubana wouldn't be serving Canadian airports and Canadian citizens wouldn't be vacationing in Havana legally. You can spout off all you want about hating Bush and US policy, etc... the United States has no dog in this hunt.

planenutz

Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:05 pm

Apparently, the decision to not launch YUL-BEY was entirely for securoty reasons, and indeed came initially from Washington. Read the article below from Globe and Mail.

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030604.ubeir0603/BNStory/National/

It is also understood tha the Canadian government paid AC $6 million to defray and losses for the sudden cancellation.
Not all who wander are lost....