B777337
Topic Author

Civil Aircraft Registration In India

Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:55 am

All civilian aircrafts in India have the prefix "VT". I used to think, its just a random two alphabet prefix. I was later informed by a friend working with the civil aviation ministry that VT stands for Victorian Territory.

My personal opinion is that if possible, we must change this prefix to something more relevant.

Sonic

RE: Civil Aircraft Registration In India

Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:04 am

Many countries uses more or less meaningless prefixes (e.g. Poland - SP, Latvia - YL).

In Lithuania it is more or less meaningful (LY), however still not fully, because second letter in both Lithuanian and English (and many other) variants of word "Lithuania" is "i", not "y", and I doubt in some language this word is written with "y". LT would be more logical, as this one is used on cars also. LR (Lithuanian Republic), LI (LIthuania), would be logical alternates also...

But well, I guess this aircraft registration thing is just two (or one) letters and there shouldn't be made fuss about it. Same as about airport codes - Baghdad International is still SDA (from SaDdAm) as it seems, while Ho Chi Minh international is still SGN (from SaiGoN)...

IndianGuy

Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:25 pm

Victorian Territory? Well what does VH-XXX (Aus) stand for?

ANy suggestions on what you can change it? I erpsonally think that it need not be changed? Why try to fix something that aint broke?

acefreighter

Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:02 am

The national registration letters were all allocated by ICAO, I think, in the 1930's. Most of the then British Empire territories and Dominions were given V* prefixes - VH for Australia, VT India etc.
It does not stand for Victorian Territory.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos