ssides

Admirals Club Admission With First Class Ticket?

Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:08 am

Will a first- or busines-class boarding pass get me into an AA Admirals Club, or do I have to have the membership? A friend told me that a First Class ticket would get me in, and if that's the case, I'd rather just do that than buy the $400 yearly membership.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

TWFirst

RE: Admirals Club Admission With First Class Ticket?

Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:13 am

A first class international ticket will get you in, but not a domestic first class ticket.
An unexamined life isn't worth living.

Regis

Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:21 am

A first class international ticket will get you in, but not a domestic first class ticket .

Wrong.

A domestic F/C ticket will also get you access to AAdmirals club. It did for me twice last month, once in AUS and another in ORD.

ssides

Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:22 am

OK ... I'm flying DCA-MIA-CUN, the return is CUN-MIA-DCA. DCA-MIA is first-class, but MIA-CUN is "business" class, albeit in the front cabin. What are my chances?

Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:25 am

A domestic F/C ticket will also get you access to AAdmirals club. It did for me twice last month, once in AUS and another in ORD.

Wrong.

Unless you're connecting to an international premium cabin, your domestic ticket will not get you in. Additionally, having a first class ticket on one of the designated domestic flagship service flights will provide entry (transcons on 3-class aircraft).

GuyBetsy1

Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:06 am

For anything definite... post your question over at http://www.flyertalk.com/milesfr.shtml on the American Airlines forum.

But in a nutshell, the above post by AAJAXFlyer is correct. Unless you also hold any other premium status card (ie Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald) other than AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Executive Platinum, you will not be permitted to enter US/Canada (as Canada is not considered international) AAdmirals Club lounges.

[Edited 2004-02-10 00:07:38]

ssides

Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:11 am

OK, on the MIA-CUN leg, "Business" class is the highest class of service offered. Will this be sufficient for Admirals Club admission? And don't worry, I'll post it in the other forum as well.

Regis

Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:16 am

All I can say is that the fine folks of AA let me use their Admirals Club in AUS and ORD upon the presentation of my domestic F/C boarding pass, even though I was heading to CDG in cattle class. And I neither hold AAadvantage's platinium or premium platinium accounts. Go figure.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:35 am

And I neither hold AAadvantage's platinium or premium platinium accounts. Go figure.

You must hold status then with another oneworld carrier, otherwise your story does not make sense, especially at Chicago.

767Lover

RE: Admirals Club Admission With First Class Ticke

Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:03 am

An agent working in the Atlanta Admirals club said you can buy a one-day pass to the club for $50 at most of their airport locations.

propatriamori

Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:35 am

I looked this up the other day on the AA website, but I can't seem to find it now, just look around, it's on there somewhere...

As I recall, the policy stated there that Admirals Club admission is granted free of charge to passengers connecting to first or business trans-pacific or trans-Atlantic international flights. Its not really advertised or stated, but the times I've done it I showed my business class trans-Pacific boarding pass at the Admirals Club desk and got in with no problems.

Individual personnel working at the desk may let you in if without the above conditions, but it's really up to them. Just ask, but don't be surprised if they turn you down. It may help to dress nice and be pleasant.

HNLFlyBoy

Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:01 pm

Ssides,

DCA-MIA is a domestic leg that you are connecting onto a International C class leg...Isn't CAN considered an Intl. destination, hence wouldn't u be accorded lounge access starting in DCA? I would hope so, certainly you should have access at MIA, since that is the point of origin for your intl. sector. Please do a trip report...would like to know how this pans out. Why don't you call AA and find out. Won't hurt to call and ask in advance.

kanebear

Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:39 pm

North American destinations (Canada/Mexico except for Mexico City) are NOT eligible for Admiral's Club access when flying in a premium cabin. If you're Advantage Platinum or higher, an international flight (except for Mexico and Canada, Mexico City is the only exception to this and flying to Mexico City in F WILL get you access) in any class will also allow you entry into the Admiral's club. Regis, you got lucky... domestic First Class most certainly doesn't allow entry into the Admiral's Club. If it did, they'd be swamped!

Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:40 pm

Mexico is considered domestic U.S. as far as policies go... same as Canada and bits of the Caribbean.

PER744

Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:43 pm

You actually work out better off if you join the Qantas Club instead of the Admiral's Club, it's cheaper, you get full Admiral's Club access, and 2 free drink vouchers when you enter each lounge.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:15 pm

Qantas Club is a good deal... except that you cannot enter the Admirals Club unless you have a boarding pass for an AA flight (or perhaps appropriate codeshare) and you just hope that the agreement continues.

Ealsys1

RE: Admirals Club Admission With First Class Ticke

Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:45 pm

The agent at the desk ultimately hold the cards. If they're strict about it, forget it. BUT depending on how long a wait you have, the $50 one day pass may be well worth it. I'll use it on business to get some work done there, usually once a year.

Sam