ual747den

LAX In-Airport Spotting

Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:05 pm

I will be flying to LAX tomorrow morning on F9, where is the best place for me to go to check out some 747's from in the airport? Can I get to the international terminal from the F9 gate? Please give me any ideas!

Thank you....
/// UNITED AIRLINES

hawaiian717

RE: LAX In-Airport Spotting

Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:09 pm

Frontier flies into Terminal 3, which is next to the north wing of the Tom Bradley International Terminal, though I believe Frontier usually parks on the east side of Terminal 3, which puts you next to Terminal 2, which itself gets a good amount of international traffic.

So Terminal 3 isn't a bad place to be, whenever I have time to wait around inside a terminal at LAX, I usually like to go to the end of the terminal, which gives a good view of the runways as well.

David / MRY

UAORD

Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:17 pm

If you have some extra time and want some great views of planes landing, take the shuttle bus for hertz rent a car. Their facilty is located directly in the path of the two north runways.

pilottim747

Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:29 pm

If you stay in the secure area you're going to be confined to Terminal 3. If you go outside, however, you can see both sides of the Intl. Terminal from the walkway that goes around with the roadway. One of my favorite activities at LAX is just to walk down to the Intl. Terminal and watch all the heavies there. If you go inside the ticketing area of the Intl. Terminal you can see all the counters for all the airlines.

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

F9Fan

Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:43 pm

If you are willing to go outside the secure zone, head over to the food court at the Tom Bradley International Terminal. It is only a five minute walk from Terminal 3, which is the one F9 uses. Look for the Chinese place towards the center of the terminal, and go towards the west (away from the front of the terminal). There is a large window looking out towards the tarmac where plenty of 747s go by. If you aren't wanting to go outside the secured zone, hang out on the west side of the passenger lounge of terminal 3. It is the opposite side from F9's gate, but you still are pretty close.

F9Fan

flyingnanook

Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:06 pm

I think T3 is a great place for spotting. Head over to gate 33 (I could have the number wrong). It's where AS is. It's in a round gate area. Anyways gate 33 (I think, could be 34) sticks out of the round area and has seats facing the window which overlooks the beginning of the runway. So you can see all the planes wait before starting to takeoff. You should see oodles of heavies.
Semper ubi sub ubi.

sprxflySWA

Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:28 pm

My favorite place is, if you are going to go out of security, is top floor of parking garage across from T3. You get a better view of arrivals, deps on both sides, and TBIT activity,esp. North side. Plus all the sounds as well. Great place if the weather is warm.
When the heliport was/is used, neat to see them,although infrequent.

WesternDC1010

Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:21 pm

Word of caution!
If you go up to the parking garage across from Terminal 3 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal (or any parking garage for that matter), you will most likely be questioned and/or asked to leave. Or even possibly detained if you are not careful! Anywhere on the airport property where you are loitering (including spotting and such), you will get the attention of security-minded travellers and airline/airport staff as well as TSA, airport security and airport police.

Your best bet is if you are within a secured area, such as inside the concourse and/or Terminal building, you will be left alone to spot to your heart's content!

It sucks, but this is the post 9-11 world we live in!

- Ron
Western DC-10-10
Western Airlines - The Only Way To Fly

Udo

Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:28 pm

There have never been problems on top of T3's parking garage. Police showed up once and said it was ok to stay there for spotting.

Regards
Udo
Me & You & a Plane Named Blue...

WesternDC1010

Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:32 pm

There have never been problems on top of T3's parking garage. Police showed up once and said it was ok to stay there for spotting.

All I am saying is be careful! Just because they lower the terror level does not mean that things go back the way they used to be!

Its all a word of caution!

Happy Spotting!

- Ron
Western DC-10-10

[Edited 2004-02-10 10:00:43]

[Edited 2004-02-10 10:01:39]
Western Airlines - The Only Way To Fly

Mizzou65201

Tue Feb 10, 2004 5:52 pm

I enjoy the windows by Gate 36 (YX). Good view of the 24's. Top of the garage would be good, too. Oh...and try to ignore the fact that T3 is the most godawful terminal in the world =) (Look for the 1973 NOAA poster across from the Jody Maroni's, and also note the blank, ghosted FLIFO monitors throughout...)

amhilde

Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:36 am

I like to park myself in Bradley international at the window that someone mentioned, though you can see heavies from the windows on either side of the terminal, if youve gone up by the food court. I also really like hanging out at the space between Terminal 1 and TB because if you are really lucky a Big Boy will be pulling in to park and they seem just so so close... OH! Walk down where the Air New Zealand desk is ( Terminal 1 i think) and keep on walking- depending on the time of day you may see a NZ parked there- a 767 or a 747- and those are usually quite close! (ive got a brilliant picuture of one parked just right there)
Hang on tightly, Let go lightly