bongo

Sinsheim Museum In Germany

Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:24 am

Next month I will be in Germany, Maybe one of you guys can tell me where exactly is Sinsheim museum, how to get there, how far is from Dusseldorf. What to expect.

Thanks
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!

airsicknessbag

RE: Sinsheim Museum In Germany

Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:51 am

It´s in South West Germany. The nearest bigger cities would be my hometown Mannheim and Heidelberg.

It´s about four hours train ride from Duesseldorf. If you travel through FRA, it´s much more convenient to go to Sinsheim from there.

I don´t think the Concorde will be really ready. She´s visible alright, no problem there, as this recent pic demonstrates:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Benjamin Baumann

But you´ll be able to go inside only after Easter, sorry.

You can see the Tu-144 (and some other smaller airliners) from the inside:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Benjamin Baumann

Note the spiral staircase in the rear.

Please also search the a.net database and enter "sinsheim" as a keyword. That will give you an idea what else to expect.

Hope this helps. Don´t hesitate to ask more questions.

Daniel Smile

Slcpilot

Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:08 am

I toured the museum in Sinsheim about a year ago. It was certainly worth the visit, and being able to see two SSTs in one place is an experience that is now unique to this museum.

That being said, I don't really care for the lack of preservation that takes place here. It IS amazing to be driving down the Autobahn and see the unmistakable lines of a large plane over a German village, but how long will this last with the planes out in the weather? Look at the condition of the other planes outside. They're in horrible shape. I have always thought the ideal display would be at an airport with a large glass wall facing the field (inside storage). I guess that takes money, and that's why (how) the planes do the advertising at Sinsheim.

Enjoy the museum, and anybody that has technical interests will enjoy the rest of the displays as well. I only had 4 hours there and it wasn't nearly enough time.

Fly Safe !

SLCPilot
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

fraT

Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:26 am

If you really have to go from DUS it will take you approx. 4 hours by train with at least 2 train changes (more probably 3). The same time you need with a rental car. But at least you could enjoy the world famous German "Autobahn".

As Daniel said, it's a lot easier to reach the museum from FRA. By train it's only 1 hour 40 minutes. By car it's even faster.

If you have a bit of time left, you can visit another aviation museum in nearby Speyer or spend some time in Heidelberg, which is one of the nicest cities in Germany.
Have fun!

Setjet

Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:10 am

The conditions of the planes at Sinsheim (and Speyer!) is just horrible. It's a shame that Air France gave one of their nicest airplanes to such a bad place. The whole museum is more like an amusement park than a serious technical museum (like the "Deutsches Museum Muenchen" / "Flugwerft Oberschleissheim" for example).

Rumor is that the Concorde will end up on the imfamous "poles" on the roof of the tin hut with the nose lowered. The chairman of the muesum thinks this is the nicest view of the Concorde. No coment!

I guess a children slide from the cockpit sidewindows is also in the planning...

lan707

Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:57 am

I know both places and it a real shame in what bad conditon some a/c really
are (CSA IL-18 or the Air inter Viscount) Let´s see how long the Concorde or the TU-144 will last. In speyer it´s about the same. Poor LH B-747.

Cheers

Sabena332

Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:59 am

I guess a children slide from the cockpit sidewindows is also in the planning...

Please tell me that it is a joke!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Slcpilot

Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:16 am

Sabena332,

Sadly, it's likely no joke. They have that feature with another plane there. And yes, it does have some amusment park qualities to it.

The Deutsches Museum would have been a MUCH more honorable destination for this aircraft.

SLCPilot
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

Sabena332

Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:27 am

The Deutsches Museum would have been a MUCH more honorable destination for this aircraft.

I agree absolutely with you! What a joke that it is more like an amusment park and not like a real museum. I am planning to drive down to Sinsheim but now I will think about it again, I can imagine that it is quite annoying for an aviation enthusiast to visit the Concorde while surrounded by a buch of screeming kids.

Anyway, thanks for the information!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

ramprat74

Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:56 am

I visited Oberschleissheim a couple years ago. I really like it. I heard they added more planes since then. It was a old US Army air base. I lot of cool things to see there. Its a pretty far walk from the S-Bahn station though.

bongo

Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:11 am

Thanks a lot guys for such an interesting info !!! You'd probably will read my trip report as soon as I arrive home again  Smile
MDE: First airport in the Americas visited by the A380!