AMSMAN
Topic Author

Why No LCC In Any Flight Search Engines?

Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:09 am

How come ever time I search for flights form A to B, it only brings up the national carriers and never any LCC's?

Anyone else noticed this?

[Edited 2004-02-11 02:10:29]
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

RE: WHy No LCC In Any Flight Search Engines?

Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:11 am

I've gotten Southwest flights and America West flights before. Maybe its because the larger carriers have far more flights then the majority of the LCC's.

aa757first

RE: Why No LCC In Any Flight Search Engines?

Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:16 am

TZ, FL, and NK are also listed.

AAndrew

PVD757

Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:22 am

Depending on where you are searching, such as Expedia, some of the LCCs do not pay to be carried. I'm not sure of your question, are looking for reservations or flight tracking?

gigneil

Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:20 am

Southwest only books via Southwest.

You'll find Frontier at least.

N

jetbluefan1

Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:40 am

JetBlue only books directly thru JetBlue - same with Southwest, I believe. JetBlue actually used to be sold thru www.itn.net, but since have stopped. They also used to be listed on Travelocity or something like that, but soon were dropped since JetBlue didn't pay them to list the flights.

If you check Expedia, they offer Frontier, America West and AirTran.

JetBluefan1

AA623BDLSJU

Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:47 am

Well, actually I was on itn.net and I saw JetBlue flights between JFK and SJU. I only saw them and AA. However, I do get that same problem when I look through Orbitz or Travelocity. PVD757 does make a good point, the carriers to pay to have their tickets sold on websites other than their own.

funflyer

Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:49 am

Pan Am is listed on Expedia.
Who cares about status?

Jano

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:00 pm

Southwest is at itn.net. Try e.g. BNA-DTW, you'll get bunch of NWA and SWA flights...
The Widget Air Line :)

elwood64151

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:18 pm

Orbitz is owned by the six major carriers. They have no interest in selling LCC flights. Travelocity is a SABRE company (owned by AMR). Same thing. I do not know about the others.
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

goingboeing

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:19 pm

Why aren't the LCC's listed? Because they are "low cost" and the major travel search engines charge a fee to the airline. If someone is too lazy to search the LCC's web site for fares, then they deserve to pay more.

deltaffindfw

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:29 pm

I noticed the WN flights on itn.net. But, do you really find the cheapest fares here (promotional fares or fun fares) or the only the refundable fares?

jeffrey1970

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:34 pm

Frontier is almost always listed on Expedia when looking up flights to big cities out west from DCA or BWI, and soon to be IAD.

God bless through Jesus,

Jeff
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

alphascan

Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:34 pm

SABRE is not owned by AMR.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

MoodyBlues

Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:54 pm

It basically depends on the airline, and the search engine you are using.

Elwood64151 is correct about Orbitz.com being owned by the majors, but if you do a search, you will find a selection of flights besides just the owners.

I punched in FLL-SAN just now 'cause that's a typical route for me.

CO, NW, US, UA, AA, DL, HP "Multiple Carriers" and F9 were the responses for this particular search.

HP and F9 obviously subscribe to be on Orbitz.

Now I know that WN flies this route, but they did not appear. Jet Blue also does, if you want to connect in JFK. They don't appear either. The reason for this is simple, they don't subscribe to Orbitz, or any other search site for that matter.

Want to fly Southwest? Go to http://www.southwest.com or call
1(800)IFYSWA.

The reasons that they don't are many, but the added costs are a factor as well as the fact that WN is fiercely independent, and likes to control the way their operations are handled.

Also, in the past, Southwest was a subscriber to one of the flight reservations systems (Could have been Sabre, I don't have the info in front of me) One day, the major players decided they could do without the competition and Southwest magically disappeared from the system. Travel Agents used these systems, (back before all the internet sites) and suddenly they could not book Southwest, or for that matter, even know they existed.

Southwest said screw this, and has booked independently ever since.

The best way to find the best fare on Southwest is to look on southwest.com Compare "Internet One Way" to "Promotional Fares" the prices sometimes flip flop by a few $. If you get hopelessly stuck, call the 800 number, every reservations agent I have ever spoken too has always gone out of their way to help me. But you can't book "Internet One Way" over the phone.

I also know that B6 and HP promise that their lowest fares will be on their websites.

Good Luck  Smile
Moody Blues

Southwest Airlines "A Symbol of Freedom"
Southwest Airlines "A Symbol of Freedom"

AMSMAN
Topic Author

Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:05 pm

Thanks for the response guys. Explains a lot.
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

doug_or

Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:49 pm

didn't WN sue orbitz when it was first launched? I never undserstood the lawsuit, had something to do with misrepresentation of routings, prices, or schedules.
When in doubt, one B pump off

Skymonster

Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:32 pm

Sort of... Most of the major flight search engines are based on one of the major GDSs (Global Distribution Systems, such as Amadeus, Galileo, Sabre, etc.), as its usually the GDS that provides the portal into the various airline reservations systems rather than the flight search site itself. Very few of the low-costs distribute on the GDS systems because of the fees charged by the GDS providers - the low costs prefer to sell through their own websites and not have to pay distribution fees. If a carrier isn't on the GDS that the flight search engine sits on top of, then it won't show, low cost or not.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

goingboeing

Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:18 pm

didn't WN sue orbitz when it was first launched? I never undserstood the lawsuit, had something to do with misrepresentation of routings, prices, or schedules.

That was part of the reason. For example, when Orbitz first started up and had WN listed, it was "possible" to book a flight from MCI-DAL on Orbitz. What they didn't tell you was that you couldn't check bags all the way thru, nor did they mention the reasons for it. So if you bought that ticket (that Southwest wouldn't sell you...you'd have to do it "on your own" and they DO post Wright Amendment restrictions on their web site) and had a problem, you'd most likely blame Southwest for the snafu and not Orbitz, even though they'd sell you a routing that wasn't "kosher". I also noticed when Orbitz started up that they had several "invalid" routings...at the time, Delta didn't serve MCI-DFW, but Orbitz would show a route via ATL or SLC as an option.

AA623BDLSJU

Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:10 am

Sabre no longer belongs to AMR. The split in 2000 or 2001. But, I do remember that you could book WN on Travelocity. That was back in 2001, I think. Thngs changed from then, I guess.

jjbiv

Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:40 am

I'm not sure where you're looking, but if we serve the route you're looking at, ATA should be listed.

joe

RJNUT

Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:48 am

The GDS are soon to be unregulated, so there will be pressure for them to drop their fees and encourage more LCC's to join. It could get interesting in the coming years!

JGPH1A

Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:55 am

As the only sector in the airline industry that is actually making money, it would be foolish of the GDS's not to try and recruit LCC's to be distributed via their systems !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers