latinaviation

AA DFW-EZE To Daily

Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:14 am

Due to the unexpectedly high demand for AA's DFW-EZE non-stop service, American will upgrade the service from thrice-weekly non-stop to:

• Five weekly flights effective 4/14;

• Daily service effective 6/10

• Flights are operated with a dual-class 767-300ER. Due to AA's contract restriction with the APFA, these flights are staffed by DFW-based flight attendants and not AA's EZE-based flight attendants.

This also marks continued growth for AA from DFW to South America, serving Caracas, Lima, Santiago, Sao Paulo and Buenos Aires.

bartond

RE: AA DFW-EZE To Daily

Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:28 am

This is good news for DFW. I wonder if it's the demand for the cargo on this route that is causing them to go daily or if it's passenger demand. Maybe it's cuz ATL is starting back up service from ATL-EZE. Probably cargo but who cares, I'm just glad we'll see more 76's around for a while.

Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:38 am

I wonder if this is in response to UA's ORD-EZE service...

MAH4546

Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:19 am

It is not in response to either DL nor UA. American applied with DOT to increase DFW-EZE service about 2-3 months ago. The route has done very well. Not only does it fill up, but it has helped out yields on the already high-yielding MIA/JFK-EZE flights, as AA now routes lower-yielding connecting EZE passengers through DFW.
    a.

AA787

Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:12 am

The increase in demand is probably due to a decrease in the Argentina economy.
    ET In NYC

gte439u

Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:36 am

The increase in demand is probably due to a decrease in the Argentina economy.

I would think that the improving economy in Argentina is the cause of the increased demand as well as the growth in US tourism to Argentina.

ArgInMIA

Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:39 am

AA787 decrease in the economy? The Argentinian Economy grew 7% on 2003.. and its expected to grow arround the same for 2004.. things are getting better very fast..
    Alto.. Mucho mas alto.. hasta la cumbre

WiLdmanVzla

Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:41 am

I watched a TV show yesterday about tourism around the world... they said Argentina is the biggest growing market in tourism worldwide & Buenos Aires is the 5th least expensive capital city... so, let's visit Argentina!!!!!, a beautiful country to go.

ArgInMIA

Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:44 am

Back in 2001 Buenos Aires was if not the first one.. maybe the second most expensive city in America.. (yes.. even more expensive than new york) and certainly on the top 10 worldwide) what a change !!

TBCITDG

Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:26 am

This sure looks like a great time to visit Buenos Aires.It's also true what ARGinMIA says about the Argentine economy growing at an unbelieveable rate! Even the IMF is asstounded at th rate that a country that not too long ago was in the middle of economic turmoil could lift it's game so quickly.

AA787 Why would they increase service if the economy is on the rebound not "on the decrease" as you stated?!?!?

ORDnDFW777

Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:59 am

Had no problem non-reving from IAD to EZE in Sep 03, but getting back was a pain! UA flights to MIA and IAD were over booked or had weight restrictions. I had to use AA buddy passes to get on the 2nd MIA flight or I might still be in EZE.

Talking to friends at other airlines (AA), it appears that flights out of EZE are packed and flights into EZE have room. Looks like AA will do well on daily DFW flights. UA should do well on ORD and IAD as well. Sure MIA isn't a hub for UA, but the EZE - MIA flights were packed.

Great city and extreamly affordable!

usatoeze

Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:17 pm

Great!

Demand for flights to EZE is very high now for all airlines. Pricing for the off-peak month of May is running 25% higher than last year, and even with more routes to EZE...the undervalued Peso is causing tourism to thrive. None of the flights I have been on to EZE since October have been any less than 90% full(AA), and although it is true that some of that 10% wasn't in coach, the loads seemed to be high elsewhere too.

Now all we need on the AA 763 is some decent IFE.
    War is a very poor political tool

ArgInMIA

Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:04 pm

Usatoeze are you crew for AA? your username certainly cought my eye

lima

Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:59 pm

There are a lot of tourist in Buenos Aires like I never seen before. A dutch newspaper (Algemeen Dagblad) stated that during the first nive months of 2003, more than five million tourist visited the city, a total record. The same trend also goes to other cities and regions like Patagonia, Iguazu, Salta.

This is a great time so come to visit us  Smile

latinaviation

Thu Feb 12, 2004 9:57 pm

I just returned on Sunday morning from a week of holiday in Buenos Aires and I can honestly say it was fantastic. Not only does our US Dollar go farther, but the people are so nice and the food (and wine) is second-to-none. In our winter, you get the benefits of their summer, plus a city steeped in history and culture. My fiancee likes to call it the "Paris of Latin America."

We flew AA JFK-EZE-JFK, I will write a trip report later, and pulled in next to two UA 767-300ERs and a Swiss MD-11, both of which appeared to be full because, coming in behind these three flights, we waited quite some time to clear customs.

A good source of English-language news from Buenos Aires is the Buenos Aires Herald, in case you're interested.

plaaneboy

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:15 am

Before the financial crisis in Argentina, AA had wanted to do DFWEZE. Now that the Argentine economy is recovering, it should come as no surprise that DFWEZE is doing well.

Keep in mind that the flight currently operates on peak days for business travel, so the new flights may not have as high of a load factor at first, but should do better as the economy recovers.

The yields on the flight are strong and business passengers are still discovering that it's a very convenient way to fly between the West Coast and EZE.

I don't think UA will be very successful with ORDEZE as the local market isn't very large and AA and DL have better connections to the rest of the US. Also, UA has lost a number of corporate accounts to AA as a result of their suspension of service to MIA.

[Edited 2004-02-12 17:31:54]

PBIflyguy

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:23 am

AA has cabin crews based in EZE??

latinaviation

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:39 am

AA has cabin crews based in EZE??

Yes, AA has foreign-national flight attendants based in EZE, SCL, LIM and BOG. This component was part of the Eastern Airlines acquisition, some have seniority dating back to Braniff's early days within the region. They have limited scope in terms of where they can fly. For example, they only fly international routes to/from Miami, have their own unions and work rules based on country, and cannot fly either domestic routes or flights staffed with APFA crews.

AeroArgentina

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:17 am

They need to allow AR to increase their frequencies. Right now the US Argentina market is almost monopolized by AA and they can charge very high fares (I paid 1200 to go to EZE from DFW in December and am only paying 400 to go from IAH to BCN). AR doesn't even have daily flights whereas AA has 2 dailies just from Miami plus they are allowing them to have even more. I don't know how the DOT works but I think Argentina's govt should be pushing for more equality (ie AA or UA gets flights and so does AR). More competition is needed. Just my 2 cents.

flyboy36y

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:22 am

I was in Argentina for the entire month of January and I loved it. I took AA from MIA in J. 777 there and a 763 back, It was packed both ways.

nickofatlanta

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:26 am

I thought AR had daily flights to both JFK and MIA. Regardless, I am sure the case is that AR is not using all of its available frequencies. By the way, another Argentine carrier, Southern Winds, flies from MIA to EZE as well.

latinaviation

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:44 am

By the way, another Argentine carrier, Southern Winds, flies from MIA to EZE as well.

I just looked at their schedule, and it shows them with only one weekly flight MIA-EZE. Does anyone know what happened? I didn't realize they were doing that poor on the route to warrant only a weekly flight. They also have four weekly flights from Buenos Aires to Madrid, Spain.

I thought AR had daily flights to both JFK and MIA.

They fly four weekly flights to Miami and three weekly flights to JFK, both with A-340s. I wish we saw more of AR at JFK.

MAH4546

Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:00 am

I just looked at their schedule, and it shows them with only one weekly flight MIA-EZE. Does anyone know what happened? I didn't realize they were doing that poor on the route to warrant only a weekly flight. They also have four weekly flights from Buenos Aires to Madrid, Spain.

The Miami flight does well. They are short on aircraft right now. I believe they currently only have one 767-300ER, with the other in maintence. Until it is back, Miami is at one weekly. It will return to 3 weekly soon.
    a.

Thrust

Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:19 am

AA is certainly expanding internationally lately. Not only in South America. AA will be as big as United in Asia within 3 years!
    Fly one thing; Fly it well

ArgInMIA

Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:52 am

Argentina is still in CAT II thats why Aerolineas cannot add more flights.. Southern Winds is (or Was) using a foreighn wet leased aircraft.. thats why they where able to fly that route.. i really dont know why Argentina is in CAT II.. im shure is political

AeroArgentina

Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:15 am

The whole CAT II thing is pretty ridiculous. I'm suprised I don't see the Arg govt trying to talk to the US govt to sort this out. IMO it's really curtailing competition and giving the lions share of profit to the US airlines.

TBCITDG

Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:01 am

I totally agree with you guys! AR should benefit from the same conditions that Us carriers have in the US-ARGENTINA routes.
    I personally do not understand why SAR is CAT II.
    The other question that I have is: How long has it been since AR stopped operating the EZE-LAX route? Was it proffitable?

As for Southern Winds . . . I thought that the other aircraft was returned to (please someone correct me) either Atlanta or LAN??

AeroArgentina

Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:39 pm

AR stopped the EZE-LAX route in 2001 when they almost went bankrupt. If they were not CAT II right now I can assure you they would be flying it. They have extra planes and they actually doubled their profit over last year (I think they made something like U$S 50 million, but I don't know for sure, it came out a couple days ago). Things are improving but they need more flights to the US.

usatoeze

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:38 pm

Usatoeze are you crew for AA?

No I just happen to fly back and forth between Argentina and the US constantly. I've been in a relationship with a girl in the BA suburbs for 2+ years, and so I have been able to see the effects of the economic crisis on loads for DL,UA, and AA for that time. Its fantastic to see that DL is coming back to EZE, and it is great that DFW-EZE will become a daily, but I am in full agreement with some of the other posters that it is too bad that Argentina remains CAT 2, because it would be really great if AR added some more routes to the USA.

Would sure like to see that Boca Junior plane somewhere other than the Chivatos.
    War is a very poor political tool

lima

Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:05 pm

The Cat issue is more about political and economic interest backed. A US company (Thompson) was eager to win the contract to renew the whole radar system but it did not happen. There were other issues too and the companies began to press through the diplomatic way. Due to the radar issue Argentina was downgraded in category and ever since they have been trying to solve this issue. Also two years ago another sensitive problem with the US was the Open Skies agrement that was finally denied by Argentina.

I don't know if it is really a security issue. If it was that bad many companies would simply not operate in Argentina, but especially US ones are willing to increase their service. Contradictory.

latinaviation

Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:14 pm

They are short on aircraft right now. I believe they currently only have one 767-300ER, with the other in maintence. Until it is back, Miami is at one weekly. It will return to 3 weekly soon.

Thanks, Mark. Your posting reminded me that I had read about this before. The January 12, 2004 edition of Airways News Online reported that LAN Chile acquired an Air Atlanta 767-300ER operated for Southern Winds, TF-ARA.

This would leave them with a sole 767-300ER, which must have been the all-white one I saw parked at EZE. Their scheduling of it - three flights to Madrid, one to Miami - would make sense.

LAN noted they would be acquiring an additional 767-300ER in their 3Q03 results press release:
    La compañía concretó la incorporación de un avión de pasajeros Boeing 767-300ER arrendado. Esta aeronave se suma a los diez Boeing 767-300 que opera la Compañía iniciando sus servicios a mediados de diciembre de 2003.

[Edited 2004-02-13 14:14:55]

ArgInMIA

Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:11 am

The funny thing is that the all white 767 is registered as LV- so i have no clue how they will be able to land in MIA with it...