PVD757
Topic Author

PHL-PVD; $29 On WN, WOW!

Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:09 am

SWA finally annonced PHL fares and schedules today. I was going to drive down to the PHL area this summer, but for $29, I'll now be flying! 5 roundtrips for PVD, that is just awesome. Wonder what USAirways will do...?

N863DA

RE: PHL-PVD; $29 On WN, WOW!

Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:11 am

"Wonder what USAirways will do...?"

...Suffer... heavily....

N 8 6 3 D A

isitsafenow

Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:25 am

Or drink heavily.....
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

goboeing

Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:46 am

This is great!!! $200 roundtrip to PHX! $60 to PVD! BWI to BNA is my next trip for a wedding, that's $145 roundtrip!

Nick

goingboeing

Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:49 am

For all you "Southwest isn't always the lowest fare", I offer this comparison.

One way fare PHL-PVD on Southwest - $89
One way fare PHL-PVD on USAirways - $417.10

That $89 is the MOST someone will pay on Southwest.

jetbluefan1

Fri Feb 13, 2004 4:52 am

Wow! $29 is really awesome for that flight...and how much has US been traveling? $99? This really is bad for US Airways, but I think it's great the WN is relieving the city of Philadelphia from sky high airfares.

JetBluefan1

A330323X

Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:26 am

One way fare PHL-BOS on US Airways - $42.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:31 am

You won't be worrying about USAirways for long, they will be gone soon. Southwest is just killing them.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

Bicoastal

Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:52 am

$84 roundtrip to Boston from Philadelphia on US Airways. Not bad. The $60 roundtrip on Southwest to PVD (Boston has a whole lot more demand than Providence) doesn't include the cost of a bus ride to Boston and the extra time and traffic. Looks like a better deal on US...to Boston area. US Airways will likely match Southwest's Providence-Philadelphia fare.

Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

freshlove1

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:02 am

WN is not killing US, US is killing US but in due time it will all change. US will survive. WN cant keep their costs low for ever, I believe that they will have some of the highest paid pilots in the industry in the near future. They will have to sell lots of $29 tickets to cover that, or raise prices.

PVD757
Topic Author

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:05 am

Bicoastal - you should come to the airport and look at the license plates in the parking lots. We're close enough to BOS to make a difference. You need to cut down on that funny grass when you start saying that BOS is a better deal. US can match the PHL fare all they want. There are a significant amount of diehard WN riders here.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:07 am

I am not sure WN is going to raise fares all that much, and they are killing USAir, they are killing them in Philly, in NY(ISP) WN is the king of the LCC and people are flying them, big time. Their show on A&E helps them as well.

Bicoastal

Fri Feb 13, 2004 6:11 am

I understand (but don't share) the loyalty to Southwest. That's fine. My point is for someone who isn't loyal and doesn't have the time nor wants to deal with traffic nor pay extra for a bus to Boston, it would be a better deal to fly US Airways to Logan. There's more to factor in than just the ticket price.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

flyinggizmo

Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:07 am

NIKV69.....do not collect, do not pass go. You seem to have an axe to grind against US. Why, I don't know, but if you enjoy seeing people lose their jobs to ensure that people like you can travel for a price that is cheaper than a bj from a hooker, be my guest. I work for US, and am not going to let it fail just so some idiot like you can amuse yourself and continue the raping of america.

Freshlove1, thanks for the vote of confidence. US will match the fares that WN offers. In addition, the schedule between PVD-PHL is set to be doubled, as well as the other routes as PIT's days are now numbered - all PIT flights will move to PHL. The $29 fare they offer is on a limited amount of seats(no one, not even WN with slave wages can make money at that fare), so it's reasonable to presume that off each flight about 15-40 seats will go for that fare. The rest is the full walkup. US will match it, and will flood the market as well. As I understand it, the negotiations between the BOD and unions are going well now, so I expect some major announcements to be made over the next few weeks. WN has been trying to get permission from the airport to operate off of rwy 26, and has not gotten it yet, mostly because of safety concerns.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:16 am

No axe to grind Flyinggizmo,

You are taking this personally, which is a mistake. This is a BUSINESS. People want to fly for the best fare and reasonable service. You seem to have an axe to grind to WN because they are doing what your company can not do.
Fly lots of people on safe aircraft for a cheap price and make money. Sorry US can't achieve this, and has sizable debt. People losing their job has no bearing on this, it is sad and you take it to heart. That's fine but don't lose sight of the issue, people don't fly airlines so people can keep their jobs, I could care less. If your company was run better it would not be in this situation. Don't hate WN because they are getting it done..More power to them.

flyinggizmo

Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:43 am

You can not run an airline safely when cheapness is involved. WN has good management, but their safety is one of the best kept secrets in aviation. Outsourcing to third party maintenance, going on the cheap when doing it on their own, pilots blowing speed limits on the taxiways and in the air and doing a slew of funny tricks like landing on fumes at ORF, powerbacking at LAX into a ANZ 747's tail, cutting off AA in a taxiline at PVD against a controllers orders....nah, you will never hear about those incidents.

US CAN acheive your task of flying safely, and giving good service. What you and the rest of the public seem to forget is that aviation is NOT mass transit. If you want safety and a cheap fare, go ride the subway, not an airliner. An airliner is a far more complex piece of machinery integrated into an airspace and airport system that is filled to capacity every day. You think that you DESERVE a $29.00 one way fare. Maybe you can use the savings to absorb the hospital cost or even funeral costs after your flight goes haywire. And do not give me the line of "But WN doesn't have accidents". WN can, and will end up dropping people off at the cemetary one of these days simply because of foolish practices - ones done in the name of cheapness. All airlines eventually do, because the odds allow it.

What is a rational fare? US with productivity changes can make money reasonably off doing $99.00 per person PVD-PHL. Is $99 too much for you? Then I recommend you see a shrink ASAP. Flying is an inherently dangerous business, and tightwads in ANY aspect of it quickly are humbled by mistakes. Strip down any airline to it's core mission, and you will discover that all are the same. Take the passenger from point A to B, in the safest possible manner. In my office, we have a motto:Safety first, Quality second, Production third. That is the order of things, and it is the way they should be. Think about that when you go and buy that $29.00 ticket next time, and ponder some important questions. Like, did the pilot take enough fuel or even the CORRECT fuel so he would not have to declare an emergency to land at ORF. Or did the mechanic up in BUF who had the balls to actually BOAST of his cheapness by not adhering to FAA PROCEDURES to a major publication("I don't use that expensive chip removal equipment like I am supposed to do, I just do it by hand and save you a buck and endanger your life"). How cheap is too cheap for you to finally understand that when you demand an insanely cheap ticket, the measures that the airline must do may be putting you at risk? You want US to fail simply because you are obsessed with it. Faster, cheaper, bigger, more is your motto. It may not happen now, it may never happen at all, but the risk is there. And the cheaper the tickets get, the bigger the chances you take get too.

STT757

Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:52 am

Flyinggizmo,

Don't play the "safety" card, people in NY are very familiar with "US Scare".
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:17 am

Flyinggizmo is just jealous, all those incidents you described made me laugh, and the facts still say the same thing. WN, over thirty years and only one incident of over-running a runway with no fatalities(pilot error). USAir, has a bad safety record.

Sept 89 - 2 deaths (Pilot error)
March 92 - 27 deaths (Pilot error, took off with ice on wings)
July 94 - 37 deaths (windshear?)

Don't be hating WN and spewing out these ridiculous incidents about landing on fumes or cutting off planes in the taxi line. Or insinuate they are going to have an incident. That's BS.

WN flies with huge turnover and their planes depart and arrive safely. With lower fares than US that attracts alot more pax and a hit TV show!!

737doctor

Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:43 am

Freshlove,

The pilots' contract expires in 2006.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

Chi-town

Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:32 am

I just went on southwest.com This is great! $29 PHL-PVD is a steal! I just checked MDW-PHL and it's $174. Not bad at all! MDW-PHL-MDW service will start on May 3, 2004.

Chi-town

Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:39 am

Your total for the PHL-PVD flight, roundtrip, with taxes, is $76.70. What a deal!

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:43 am

BLAH BLAH BLAH, almost did this almost did that, well pal you are the one who is dumb. Those pax didn't get bar b-qued. Please stay with the facts, not what YOU wish happened.

Let's dissect these incidents.

If you read my post carefully I said WNs only incident was pilot error, no deaths. Done..

USAir

Feb 86 - Pilot error (No deaths)

Sept 89 - Pilot error (2 deaths)

March 92 - Pilot error (27 deaths) I don't care about your fancy terms pal, pilots responsibility is to make sure plane is free of ice before departure, period.

I don't care about the layouts of airports or the waiting times at airports, hey guess what you bozo? THAT'S LIFE!! It's part of the job!

The wind shear incident and rudder incident can go either way, the rudder servo valve was faulty but releasing the rudder corrected the problem, the pilot in PA tried to save the AC and kept on the rudder till all control of the plane was lost he had no idea releasing the rudder would have fixed it, we can blame that on Boeing's design.

You have to stop with all this BS about WN, landing on low fuel etc, I am sure WN is not the only airline that does any of this, but according to you USAir is perfect and WN is horrible, yet WN only thrives and get more popular and USAir is counting the days till that dreaded cease of operations comes which is near. Low fares is what EVERYBODY wants, when are you going to wake up?
It's a business pal, and WN is tops in it..Deal with it..In fact get your resume together, maybe WN will hire ya!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

aa757first

Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:50 am

US has got really great fares going on recently, too. $245 R/T ABE to SJU! LGA to NAS $287 R/T! LAX to FRA $375, PHL to LGW $226! Those are great fares.

As a PHL flyer (ABE hometown airport), I always liked US. All of my flights have been on time, the F/As were pleasant enough. After watching Airline, I don't think I'll fly Southwest. Maybe once to see what the hub-hub I was hoping to fly them, but after watching that... IMO, both carriers have their strong points and weak points.

AAndrew

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:57 am

All that goofy stuff that happens on Airline is done for TV, and I tell ya WN did themselves a huge favor by agreeing to do the show, it's free advertising and is only bringing them more pax. Another great move.

Bicoastal

Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:02 am

Yep, I'd take US Airways. Assigned seating and convenient airports are my preference. Plus, the A&E show doesn't help persuade me to fly Southwest. As I've said before, I've never seen losers like that on any airline but Southwest. Walmart prices equals a Walmart clientele.

STT757

Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:09 am

"and for YOU to say that NYer's only know of US betrays you as an ass"

Only US Air had fatalities, nobody remembers the Fed Ex crash landing at EWR .

And if you can't control your personal attacks and keep it "civil", don't post.

You just joined the board, looks like you wont be staying long with these kind of posts.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

AirT85

Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:20 am

Regardless of who thinks who is better...the fact remains Southwest has spent 30 years making money off fares like those they are now charging out of Philadelphia. USAirways can't make enough money to pay the bills off the fares they were charging *before* Southwest started selling tickets here. How are these 42 dollar tickets to Boston going to help US? They're not. Goodbye USAirways...

-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

SHUPirate1

Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:22 am

Aa757-Southwest's hub-hub? Last I checked, they didn't have any hubs... Big grin
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:22 am

AirT85,

Thank God someone here is using their brains!

Yes Adios USAirways. R.I.P

Braniff1960

Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:23 am

Fact is most Philly customers will continue to fly USAirways if they have
"miles " to accrue because USAirways will match WN's fares.

Fact is some people who would not have flown before will NOW fly from PHL because of WN's fares.

Fact is USAirways will match WN city for city from PHL both schedule and fare wise.

USAirways will be advertising HEAVILY in the PHL market to make it's customers aware that they need not fly WN to get the lowest fare.

Don't give up on USAirways yet.......

There might be enough room in PHL for both carriers!
nothing like the smell of jet exhaust!

737doctor

Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:24 am

Hey gizmo,

As a mechanic for Southwest, I can personally attest to the fact that we don't cut corners when it comes to maintenance. Safety is our first priority, not cost.

So take your bias, venom and personal attacks elsewhere...

In fact get your resume together, maybe WN will hire ya!!

Not with his attitude; I guarantee it.

AirT85

Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:35 am

Braniff1960:

I don't care how many people US can get onto their airplanes for 42 bucks to Boston or even 99 bucks to Boston. The fact remains they're not going to be making any amount of money off those flights. They are perhaps the US airline in the worst financial position. Doubling frequencies and lowering fares is not going to save their tail. It never has in the past and it won't do it now.

Its time to face the music. US had their chance when they entered Ch.11 and they blew it. I'm not saying this as a USAirways basher. For the record they are my favorite airline. In fact, my family is a USAirways family. My grandmother has worked for them since the days of the original Allegheny Airlines, my grandfather worked briefly for them in maintenance, and so did my Uncle before he transferred to (of all places) Southwest Airlines.

As a resident of Philadelphia it is very sad to see them in the state they are in but to think their 42 dollar fares to Boston are going to be their saving grace is ridiculous.

-Tony

captaink

Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:51 am

I am not from the US, and I don't know that much about domestic flights and typical costs. I live in Grenada, and I work for the handling company that handles US here.

I have noticed quite a few US haters up on here. i don't understand it. US has high fares. Sure but so do AA, CO, DL and other on certain routes. But at the same time US has excellent fares too. I have some friends that are driving from Jersey City to PHL on saturday to catch the GND flight. 300 RT. That is a great fare for a 4 1/2 hour flight to the caribbean.

I can't begin to imagine how WN will be the end of US in PHL. That seems ridiculous to me. Sure they would be some serious competition on select destinations that they will serve. But I didnt realize that they are planning to serve CO / LIRF), Italy">FCO, MAN, LGW, MUC, FRA , BGI etc etc. They got a few 777 i didnt know about? US may go under no doubt, things look bad, but because WN killed them in PHL? Does that sound reasonable? PLEASE.. Wake up.. and stop dreaming..
There is something special about planes....

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:06 pm

We are not USAir haters, we are just pointing out the facts, which certain people take offense because they can't handle it. I do not hate USAir, but I wish they would either fold or do something because they are doing their employees wrong and really just prolonging the agony. WN is destroying them and USAir has debts it just can't pay. Simple as that. If anything, there are a lot of WN haters here, because all I hear is how WN is white trash and does things ass backwards to cut corners and costs, which is BS. They do things a certain way and it's made them top LCC. USAir can't deal with this. Too bad..

captaink

Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:08 pm

Flyinggizmo, wassup..

Question, being that you work in dispatch you may know about this.. I noticed that most the southern caribbean stn's whose flights have been operated by the 319, are not being upgraded to 320, starting this weekend. Granted that we all did get teh 320 from time to time, but we got a formal memo, stating the upgrade is in effect from Feb14. So where these 320s serving before? And where are our birds going? Namely 708, 710, 711 and 723, the ones that seem to come each week.  Smile

BTW, love PIT, we did our New Hire training there, and OJT at PIT Airport. 5 weeks of COLD.. brrrrrr... Glad to be back in the sun!!!  Smile

captaink

Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:14 pm

NIKV69 and we trying to let you know that WN, would not, and cannot be the end of US at PHL. US is not in the present financial situation becuase of WN. So they go bust it aint gonna be because of WN. Don't let them take that credit. I certainly don't hate WN. In fact Ihave never flown them. But i do enjoy Airline, and wanna try WN sometime. If they are making money, and doing it with people's safety in mind, then all the power to them.

With regards to US going bust. I sincerly hope they don't. Treating their employess bad? Man they have a job now, that is alot better than not having one at all. I have alot of freinds that work at, and still love US, and hoping to God that they stick around.

What I dont like to see on here, and feel free to say what you want cause it is a free forum, so i feel free too. I hate to see how people are so full of joy at the thought of US going bust. WN is here,, YEAH.. Hope US goes belly up, and send the thousands of workers home. That is dumb... US ain't going nowhere for a while.

AirT85

Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:22 pm

I'm not full of joy that USAirways is in a precarious situation and I also don't believe WN will be the sole cause of USAirways going under, but the way US is reacting to their presence is going to play a huge role in it. They aren't trying to fix their operation to compete with WN in Philadelphia. They are only increasing its intricacy and by adding more seats into the markets they have to continue to lower fares. And in no way are their operating costs being reduced in the same proportion. These are tough times for USAirways. I would love to be able to see them around in 10 years. But I highly doubt I will see them around in 10 months. Southwest is just capitalizing on an opportunity, and it will be to USAirways detriment.

-Tony

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:27 pm

When did I say WN was the cause of USAir's money problems? Come on read what is posted and don't assume. I wouldn't say that because I know it's not true.. USAir has been in bad shape for awhile, WN is just adding to the downfall..

freshlove1

Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:51 pm

Im sure WN is safe but i have to say I question some of the ways they fix things. Now i'm not a mtc. guy but I do work for a major airline and we happen to do charters for WN sometimes. I once saw a WN 737-700 with cargo bin panels that were falling out and some that were held in place with masking tape and one of the cargo bin's smoke dectors was covered with what looked like a zip-lock bag that was taped to the ceiling. The pilot said that it was no big deal the plane would still fly. There was also a leaking lav on the same plane, but they didnt seem to care, it had been like that for a week according to the crew. The F/A's were wiping up the liquid from the lav with papertowels. I agree that WN will do O.K in PHL but I don't think they will dominate with BWI just down the road. US will still be there all they have to do is get a fresh hand of cards and play them the right way. Insted of cutting they must offer more to the people who fly their flights. 3 flights to a city each day won't make you anything, try 6 then you will give people more options. Options, thats the only thing WN might give people from PHL and even those are few right now with only 5 r/t to PVD and 3 to MCO and 1 to LAS daily. If I had a choice i'd fly US and pay more for 1st class seating. You dont get 1st on WN for $29 or even $9, there is none, and that seat assignment on WN...still have not found it yet. but atleast they still serve peanuts!!!!!

freshlove1

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:24 pm

To all who like WN's $29 fares please read this.

www.usatoday.com
click on the money section
click on today in the sky (about 1/2 way down the page)
read the story titled ""Do Low Fare Carrier's Really Have the Best Fares""
this story was put in the money section on 2/12/04, if you happen to read this post on another date. you can access it by going to the previous days stories option.

737doctor

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:43 pm

Im sure WN is safe but i have to say I question some of the ways they fix things.

I have worked on between 100-200 of our aircraft and flown on many more. I have never seen one of our planes in the condition that you described. Our maintenance procedures are approved by the FAA just like any other airline. Our mechanics are the highest paid in the industry and take pride and professionalism in their work. Southwest can pick and choose who they hire as mechanics (the amount of resumes we receive vs. persons actually hired is staggering), meaning that we get some of the best mechanics in the industry. Our aircraft utilization is higher than most other airlines, yet still we have one of the safest fleets in the industry. I am sick and tired of people who have never turned a wrench telling me that we run a shoddy MX operation, just because our airline has a low cost structure. It shows just how ignorant those people are. I work on these aircraft every day, I know what we do here and I have the utmost confidence in our MX operation. I would not hesitate to put any of my family on any one of our aircraft.

And while I'm at it, in all my travels on Southwest (which have been extensive), I have never seen the "trailer trash" that so many of you refer to so often. They (our passengers) look like any other person to me. The only difference I can spot is that they'd rather not be gouged by the "Big Boys" for an assigned seat and half a turkey sandwich. Sure, point to Airline all you want. What percentage of our total passengers are represented on that show? What about the vast majority of our passengers that wouldn't make for "good television"? And are you so biased to believe that characters like that don't show up on other airlines? What an elitist attitude: "I don't mind paying through the nose, as long as they keep the riff raff out." Give me a break. People have too much to drink and act like asses on other airlines too.

99% of the posts on this forum are plain bias with no substantiation. The intelligent and thoughtful posts represent the other 1%.

That's it. Rant over.

freshlove1

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:50 pm

I can understand the tape on the cargo bin panels, but the taped off smoke detector really is what caught my eye. I thought that if the detector was inop there was to be no cargo loaded in that bin. We were told to load 50 bags in that bin. I didn't argue because it came from the man in charge (captain).

flyinggizmo

Fri Feb 13, 2004 1:55 pm

737 doctor,
Do a google search for a Time or Newsweek article about Southwest from sometime last year. It features a story about a WN mechanic boasting about cutting corners. Guys at the mx departments of other airlines were dropping their jaws over the article, simply because of the blatentness of it. You don't approve of my attitude? Sorry, but WN sure didn't agree with you in BWI of 1995.

Freshlove1, Bicoastal, and all you other guys who hold the door of optimism open a crack, I would like to say thank you to you. It's refreshing to see that not everyone is determined to see(and maybe get a weird thrill) out of an airline going under due to change. You are correct in saying that if US goes under it will be at the hand of it's unions or management, not WN. I don't have any hatred of WN, though I find them to be part of the continuing loss of class in airlines or anything else in the US. Did any of you fly American in the 1970's as a child? I did, my first ride in 1976, and I can still remember that service and quality were things that mattered in the america of then. Airlines gave good service, people were treated better, and even the passengers were different. People used to take travel seriously, and did not behave like now. Just as shoppers goto Walmart instead of a department store nowadays, people shun service and quality(and maybe even dignity!) in favor of WN, FL, B6(B6 is not that bad though....) and the Spirits out there. It's funny to see some passengers behaviour on these flights; I haven't seen Airline yet but I hear it confirms what I am saying.

Captaink,
Not sure about how the Airbii are being routed. The 320s are all OW equipped, so they will mostly stay carribean, with some some 319s probably used on the GCM and MBJ's out there. Routing is a mystery to me; some routes really should have a larger plane due to sheer loads I have seen. A shame the 321 isn't OW equipped.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:07 pm

It's not the unions fault, they are just a scapegoat, face it, consumers are choosing JetBlue, AA, CO and WN over USAir, for a multitude of reasons. If you want to blame management because USAir got into horrible death fine, but admit it, your not getting it done. People are choosing WN over you, period. You can bash them all you want, you can sit there and say they cut corners maintaining their planes, land on fumes, back into 747s, cut off planes in the taxi line, BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH. Yet they have a much better safety record than you since the 70s. All the REAL, HARD data points to this. Not this gibberish (Or if you watched the A-Team, JIBBA JABBA) you write here, enough already.

haveric

Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:20 pm

NIKV69 -- you're new here. Maybe earn people's respect before you begin insulting them, insulting their airlines, and insulting their intelligence.

Personally, WN is going to max out of growth soon, becuase only so many people will fly an airline that requires waiting in line, no miles (Rapid Rewards is NOT miles), no standby, and no international.

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:35 pm

Haveric read this.

NIKV69.....do not collect, do not pass go. You seem to have an axe to grind against US. Why, I don't know, but if you enjoy seeing people lose their jobs to ensure that people like you can travel for a price that is cheaper than a bj from a hooker, be my guest. I work for US, and am not going to let it fail just so some idiot like you can amuse yourself and continue the raping of America.

This was written as an insult to me FIRST. Have you read the thread in full? Obviously not. If someone chooses to insult me I will come right back. Especially since what I wrote is FACT and what has been written in response is a poor attempt to bash an airline that is doing well in addition to malign me because I like low fares, I know this person is just upset that his company is going down the toilet but that is no reason to spread lies and insult, but I will respond if that is his only way to express himself. And since when is having a successful airline raping America? It's not, it's free enterprise. I wish people here would write things that make some sort of sense. That last line makes no sense.

As for you, it means nothing how new I am here, also WN has been maxing out their growth for 20 years now, still going strong. Also you fly airlines that have to lines to wait in? I would love to see them. They have stand-by and not everyone needs miles. WN doesn't have to go international, they are kicking everyone's butts without it.

Watch them every Monday night, they rock!!

AsstChiefMark

Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:43 pm

Now if WN would just set up shop at MSP....
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

dsuairptman

Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:45 pm

I don't want to join the controversy, but I fell that reading all these post makes one particular WN worshiper come off as an ass-hole. Not to stir more debate, but if your so sure WN business model will crush the competition, then why do you fell its nesicary to keep coming back w/ more put downs? You stated your thoughts once, and being so gung-ho for your airline of choice, I have to ask why do keep trying to educate people w/ just the opposite belief?
Let them have there view; If your thoughts are right then, your airline will succeed were it counts.
GEAUX SAINTS!

NIKV69

Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:53 pm

Jeez, you people should READ. Where did I say WN is crushing the competition? WN is not my airline of choice either. Who am I trying to educate? I just rebuffed a spin put on a certain airline and automatically I am doing all these things, stick to the facts. WN is not crushing everyone, they share the top in LCC with JetBlue, and they are successful. That's all, I just don't take kindly to be called an idiot because someone is bitter that his airline is kaput because we have freedom of choice for low fares, if you don't like that fine, don't put words in my mouth.

737doctor

Fri Feb 13, 2004 3:01 pm

One article (which may or may not be accurate) contains "quotes" from one mechanic and our whole MX operation should be called into question? Whatever.

I also do not hate any competing airline. Why? Because I know mechanics who are currently working for or have worked for the following airlines:

American
American Eagle
United
Delta
US Airways
Continental
Northwest
Etc, etc, plus many now-defunct airlines and cargo operators...

The mechanics who work for these airlines are my brothers. They know what it is like working in the freezing cold, unable to feel their hands, covered in Skydrol, by the light of one measly flashlight with weak batteries. I would hate to see them not be able to provide for their families. I know many who have suffered cutbacks and concessions. I also feel for the many other airline employees in the various departments who are affected as well.

Back to the topic of MX, here's some facts for you:

We are ahead of or on schedule for every major modification required on our fleet.

The first 737 to activate the Rudder Enhancement mod as a result of US Airways Flt 427? A Southwest aircraft.

We will be operating at the new RVSM requirements way in advance of our required compliance date (somewhere in the neighborhood of one year).

We finished our reinforced cockpit door modifications nine months ahead of schedule.

The installation of the Transient Supression Devices in our fuel tanks (the result of TWA 800, which by the way you conspiracy theorist knuckleheads need to get over it) are ahead of schedule.

And so on and so on and so on...

I wouldn't claim to know more than any of you at your jobs, how about returning the favor? Unless you are a SWA mechanic, like myself, don't pretend to know more about our operation than we do.

And Freshlove, the -700 lavatories operate on a vacuum system and use very little blue water, so that automatically casts a shadow on your credibility.

Nor do we "powerback" our planes like Gizmo mentioned. It is not our procedure nor have I EVER heard of it being done. That incident was most likely the result of ground handling.

I don't expect everyone to like Southwest. But when people start talking out of their A$$es as it pertains to my department, I will not stand for it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos