727LOVER
Topic Author

WN's Heartshaped "1"

Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:43 am

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jeremy Irish

You can really see it on this Triple Crown One, but what does this mean? HEY, it's still Valentine's day,  Love
Love Trumps Hate

COTXDFW777AA

RE: WN's Heartshaped "1"

Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:46 am

It's something about how in one year they won best ontime performance, lost baggage, and customer service. Or something like that.

-CoTXDFW777AA
Texas- it's like a whole different country!

PVD757

Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:48 am

If I'm not mistaken, it a commemorative of WN's first "triple crown" win. #1 on-time performance, lowest baggage handling mistakes, lowest # of passenger compliants. I hope I'm right on the qualifiers...

N766UA

Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:51 am

Southwest won the triple crown award some 6 years in a row, so they commemorated it with that plane as well as the logo on all their jets.
This Website Censors Me

727LOVER
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:04 pm

Wait a minute guys.

I just showed THAT plane because it was a close-up shot. I'm talking about the heart shaped "1" on ALL the aircraft. At least the old colors. Does the HEART have to do w/ LUV or LOVE Field? And the "1"?
Love Trumps Hate

IMissPiedmont

Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:09 pm

N766UA gave you the answer. It has nothing to do with Love Field.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

EMBQA

Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:17 pm

What 'REALLY' is the Triple Crown......?? Who gives it out....?? Is there an awards ceremony.....?? Or is it really just a made up award to help promote Southwest.......??
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

bobb

Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:12 pm

The "heart" is a logo of WN. Next time at the counter, look up behind the agents, between the "wings." and the "1" means they were #1 in something. I believe there is another plane with 3 hearts together for the "Triple Crown."

There is no such thing as an arline Tripple Crown award. This is something WN marketing invented under Herb. It's still true though that in that year, they were #1 in 3 categories. For the whole year, or just for 3 months, I dunno... Wonderful marketing though.

toksans

Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:26 pm

This plane is dedicated to WN achievement for best on-time performance, best baggage handling, and fewest customer complains from 1992 to 1996.

http://flyingbillboard.web.infoseek.co.jp/III-5.htm
Toksans from Tokyo. Photographing and flying the plane are things to do for my life.

SWAFA30

Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:03 pm

I believe the hearts in question are the decals on the fuselage aft of the forward galley door under the windows....see photo below. These decals signify the "Heros of the Heart" program designed to recognize the contributions made by departments who work behind the scenes. Every year a different department is selected and a presentation is made on Valentine's Day.

As for the Triple Crown...this was an award for acheiving first place for the year in Mishandled Bags, On-Time Performance and Customer Complaints. The figures are based on DOT stats. Herb essentially invented the award and then gave it to his airline. In recognition of SWA's 5th consecutive Triple Crown win in 1996, the aircraft in the opening post of this thread was dedicated to the employees. The names of every employee who worked for SWA in 1996 are printed on the overhead bins of the aircraft....mine is at about row 21 aircraft right.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr

ramprat74

Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:40 pm

Does WN still only check local bags? If they do, then coming in first isn't really a accomplishment.  Smile

SWAFA30

Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:48 pm

Does WN still only check local bags? If they do, then coming in first isn't really a accomplishment.

What exactly is a "local bag"?

justplanesmart

Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:38 pm

I think Ramprat74 is referring to the fact that Southwest does not interline with other carriers, so that if you are flying with both Southwest and another airline, you will have to recheck your luggage. AFAIK, this is still the case, and the reason that Southwest does not do it is because it causes more trouble that it is worth, especially in potential delays/complaints due to the other carrier.
"So many planes; so little time..."

goingboeing

Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:13 am

The "triple crown" is the creation of a group at Southwest that other airlines have yet to figure out how to utilize...the marketing department. Yep...made their own award and promoted the hell out of it. It did it's job and got attention.

As far as I know...if you fly Southwest to anywhere other than DAL from a non-WA state, they will check your bags all the way thru. At least they did on my flights from MCI-MSY.

NWAFA

Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:19 am

That heart comes from winning ONE time the Triple Crown award..and that was 6-7 years ago...they have not won it since then..talk about running with somthing and staying with it, even though its not true any more!
THANK YOU FOR FLYING NORTHWEST AIRLINES, WE TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR BUSINESS!

goingboeing

Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:25 am

NWAFA...is it possible for NWA to win an award that Southwest's marketing department came up with?

NWAFA

Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:27 am

I do not understand your question? Could you explain what your asking?? thx!

NWA has won the triple crown award 2x. NWA was the #1 ontime airline out of ALL US carriers for 1990-1999.

sprxflySWA

Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:34 am

SWAFA30,
The "Heroes of the Heart" logos are placed just in front and below the cockpit windows, with the "hero" banner and who won it. The hearts in your posts photo is in the recognition of the made up triple crown award we gave ourselves I think 5 years in a row.
Anyway, as all will notice, we do not put those on the aircraft anymore.
As for current ticket counter backwall logos,I think they just have a hollow heart with wings now. This may signify more in the future!

NWAFA

Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:36 am

SprxflySWA,

The triple crow is a national award that is award from the Transportation Department, not a "made up award we gave ourselfs".

It is an earned award.

sprxflySWA

Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:42 am

Funny, I seem to remember that when it started, we were joking about our made up award. Anyway, if I'm wrong, so be it. So I guess no one else has earned it?

And quote me spelled correctly!

NWAFA

Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:44 am

Opps did not mean to saw "crow" SORRY. Was ment to say crown.

I remember the one time WN got it, thought it was funny that with in the month the planes had the 1 on it...it is time to take it off!

goingboeing

Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:48 am

The "triple crown" award was indeed an award that was created by Southwests marketing department. Northwest could never have "won" it.

NWAFA

Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:50 am

GoingBoeing

Sorry, the triple crown was created by the Transportation department. It was created in the early '90s.

As far as WN marketing department creating it, that just is not the case. They did a great job at "marketing" their win..as they should have.

SWAFA30

Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:55 am

That heart comes from winning ONE time the Triple Crown award..and that was 6-7 years ago...they have not won it since then..talk about running with somthing and staying with it, even though its not true any more!

As I said in reply #9, the small heart on the fuselage of all classic livery aircraft signifies the "Heroes of the Heart" program recognizing the contributions of departments that work behind the scenes.

The great big heart that looks like it is hanging from a ribbon like an Olympic Medal and is draped across the fuselage of the blue painted aircraft is the Triple Crown specialty aircraft signifying 5 consecutive Triple Crown wins in 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, and 1996. You'll notice in the picture there are 5 smaller hearts on the nose of the aircraft signifying each individual Triple Crown. I don't think there is that much harping on the triple crown wins from the past....aside from the fact that the Triple Crown plane is still flying...nobody really talks about it anymore, it's not in our press releases or print or television ads, it just a little piece of SWA history.

Just to recap, small heart on lots of planes...."Heroes of the Heart" program, big heart, single airplane....Triple Crown.

Also, we will check you bag through to your final destination Wright Ammendment permitting and we do not interline bags with any other carrier.

[Edited 2004-02-15 19:06:15]

goingboeing

Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:04 am

Sorry to pick nits here NWAFA - but the Transportation department has no such awards. They do list ontime, complaint, and baggage stats, but that's about it. As a matter of fact, I believe it was 1993 or 1994, NWA ran an ad about winning in all 3 categories, and SWA ran a full page ad in the Wall Street Journal that said "liar liar pants on fire", since they did not include SWA in the "competition". The "award" most certainly WAS created by the minds in SWA's marketing department.

freshlove1

Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:02 am

When WN gets ACARS in all its planes the ontime rating will go down hill real fast especially now that they are in PHL, an airport known for numerous delays. I believe that some of their planes have it now, but most of the time they just call the times. But actually who really cares if your ontime or not. I'd rather be 30 min late and arrive alive then have some crazy flight crew try to stay on time and take short cuts. It dosen't matter what airline you fly the main goal is to get you there in one piece.

sprxflySWA

Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:33 am

SWAFA30,
I still disagree. Why, then, is there a specific aircraft, not sure l/n, that has specific Heroes heart logo on nose?? I think you have your hearts a tad messed up. The hero heart has the dept that they are recognizing listed with it. Just below capt windscreen. I'm sure you'll see a pic of it this week sometime.

NWAFA,
We are getting rid of it, not on new scheme. I meant "ourselves" as opposed to "ourselfs".

Go Marlin 40!

goingboeing

Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:02 am

When WN gets ACARS in all its planes the ontime rating will go down hill real fast especially now that they are in PHL,

Naw...they'll just close the doors and release the brakes at the gate 10 minutes prior to departure...kind of like the ACARS carriers do.

737doctor

Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:28 am

Just FYI,

ACARS is on 38% of the 300/500 & 43% of the 700 aircraft.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

NIKV69

Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:55 am

That paint scheme is really nice! Congratulations to WN. They continue to lead..
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

EMBQA

Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:29 am

Does WN still only check local bags? If they do, then coming in first isn't really a accomplishment.

SWAFA-

I think they are referring to the fact that Southwest doesn't Interline checked bags...and I agree, not big accomplishment there....

Now, if anyone can call themselves a 'Triple Crown' winner....only one airline comes to my mind........Continental.........!!!!!! Winner of MANY awards for Best Airline of the year in MANY different classes......Long Haul, Short Haul, International.........the list goes on. When Gordon clears out his office this December, he'll need to build an addition on to his house to hold all the awards CAL has won since his arrival.

[Edited 2004-02-16 02:33:21]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

sprxflySWA

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:54 am

SWAFA30-
It is 363SW Heroes of the Heart.

barney captain

Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:14 am

Man, lots of misinformation out there. The original pic is of Triple Crown 1. It was dedicated to SW employees for 5 consecutive years of accomplishing the "Triple Crown". To the best of my knowledge, no other airline has ever been best in all 3 categories for even a quarter, let alone for the year and certainly not for 5 consecutive years. Originally it had all the names of the employees on the outside of the overhead bins, but it seems like the last time I flew it, it had the new interior and I don't recall seeing the names there any longer (but I'm honestly not certain). The "Heroes of the Heart" aircraft is an aircraft that every year on Valentines day, is dedicated to a different SW behind the scenes department for recognition. The small heart with the #1 on it that appears only on the old paint scheme also serves as a recognition of the triple crown accomplishments.

Now about that Triple Crown award.......yes, we made it up.......sort of. The DOT doesn't give out any award, they simply report the data. SW realized a marketing opportunity when it became clear that we were the only ones getting the number 1 spot in all three categories. So while the accomplishment was real, the actual "award" we made up and gave it to ourselves (who wouldn't ?). If another airline ever pulled off best in all 3, you can be SURE they would let people know about it. Shoot, they run full page ads anytime they are #1 in ONE category, let alone all 3.
Southeast Of Disorder

freshlove1

Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:24 am

Yeah I realized that ACARS deal of closing the doors and releasing the break after I put the post up. True that it is done, so we wil see what happens in the future as far as on time numbers. It prob won't change that much as far as dept times off the gate in PHL but I have seen it where a US plane has been out of the gate on time and sat on the ground for an hour and a half before it takes off. Thats where the problem is most of the time, all the ground delays.