Aaron747
Topic Author

Choices, Choices, SFO-NRT, Who With?

Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:47 pm

So I'm making a trip to Japan in April and price is no object because I've got hundreds of thousands of AA and StarAlliance miles to redeem.

Choices, choices though! SFO-AA), Japan">NRT w/UA, NH, JL, or NW? Or SJC-AA), Japan">NRT on AA?

Oh, how can one decide? Actually I'm already pretty much decided, but curious what ya'll would choose.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Manas Barooah

View Large View Medium

Photo © Satoshi Yamagishi

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manas Barooah

View Large View Medium

Photo © Manas Barooah

View Large View Medium

Photo © I. Gunawan

If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

LEARJET23

RE: Choices, Choices, SFO-NRT, Who With?

Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:11 pm

JAL is the very finest way to go, nwa sucks!

airxliban

Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:28 pm

my preference would be for JAL or ANA.

always nice to fly the carrier of the country you are traveling to.

plus, AA's flight is out of SJC
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

HNLFlyBoy

Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:31 pm

JAL, no question asked. F class right? You can check out some of the JAL cuisine at www.airlinemeals.com . They look great! Have a great trip.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2004 2:50 pm

Actually it won't be *first* class travel - lol, economy only. Probably should have indicated that. I don't want to blow *that* many miles.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Carfield

Comfort

Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:31 pm

In terms of comfort, AA's MRTC is the best... Both JL and NH have recently reduced seat pitch in Y from 34" to 32". Unless you are an elite member of United and have access to Economy Plus, I will avoid UA regular Economy at best. Northwest's legroom is not too good either. So AA seems to be the best choice comfort wise.

Service wise -- I like NH better than JL... But both Japanese airlines offer high quality meals, personal entertainment units, friendly F/As and offer many amenities, such as playing cards, stationary, postcards, and other stuff. AA is not too bad... the meals look okay and you get bottled water on your first main meal service. Of course, F/As wise, the Japanese ones are nicer...

Entertainment -- UA's Boeing 777s (one of the two flights) have PTVs, AA, JL, and NH all have PTVs. UA's Boeing 747 and NW's flights don't have PTV. (of course when NW's A330-200 arrived at the end of September, you will have PTVs, as SFO-AA), Japan">NRT is one of the first routes that these A330-200s will be in charge of...)

I hope this information will help...

Carfield

COAB767

Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Fly JAL you have all those miles and I heard JAL has pretty good service.
Continental Micronesia: "Fly With The Warmth Of Paradise"

Aaron747
Topic Author

Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:14 pm

Both UA flights are 744s.

FA4UA

Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:51 pm

It's all about economy on NH! Since UA has those bloody 744's with no PTV's on a very long flight, you must go with ANA! They are fantastic! Plus they're rolling out PVOD across their system which takes PTV's to the next level. Love it!

FA4UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

flying-b773

Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:16 pm

u wun be disappointed with ANA......

i wun reccomend JAL as i have had bad experience with them... i was the last to board he aircraft for KIX, and even before i found my seat ( as there were some arrangement problems), the aircraft is being tow back.. i was still standing with my stuff... the problems was not resolved, and the crew told me to go to an empty seat. its like what the heck.. but well... shortly after i settled down, a crew came to me, told me to change seat again.. at this time the aircraft is already taxi-ing towards d runway... i felt like an idiot..they were quite cold.. serious.. bad stuff... perhaps its juz my luck....

aa777flyer

Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:27 am

AA SJCNRT!!!  Smile  Smile  Smile I have taken this flight 5 times. It is awesome. Plus!!!! when you return your customs clearance will be a breeze since AA is the only arrival and...we have the new FIS facility in SJC!!!!! Go AA!
The TSA was created to make the post office look efficient!