FO time

Tue Jan 05, 1999 1:33 pm

How many years do you think a FO should have flying for an airline before coming a captain?
If I get the job I hope to with BA at age 18 I could be captain in a 737 be the age of 24 that is what they expect. But only 5 years as an FO and a age of 24 I do not think I would make a good smooth running captain. I hope to fly out of Heathrow in a 320 or 747 ect. and I expect it to take around 10-15 for the aibuse 320 and 15-20 for the 747.(minimum) I think that 10+years as a FO is good numberf to be a captain but I really can not say as I am not one! Funny how that works! I think there should be a rough age for captain of 100+seater plane he/she needs to be 30 and turbo props he/she needs to be 25. I do not think I would be a good captain till I was around 30 with 10 years flight experience.
One last question what do you think the age flight experience ratio is good anuff. Lets say 35+ years old 5 years as a FO and 20-35 years old 10 years flight experience before coming a captain. This is what you guys think not what the airline should do.
My mum was a FA with Iran air and she said there was a 747 SP captain that was 25 max. and she said it was scary ot fly with. I bet alot of passenger felt that too.
Iain

FedEx

RE: FO time

Tue Jan 05, 1999 3:16 pm

I think in order to be Captain you should
have had at least 7yrs of experience in the
same type of aircraft you where a FO in.
I think the Airlines here in America shy
away from having a young guy in the left
seat for customer sake. Image in the US
equals money and money symbolizes profit!

Tue Jan 05, 1999 6:56 pm

Iain, most carriers will insist on at the very least 1000 hours in seat and some more before an upgrade on any given model. Then, a seat has to become available, you must bid on it like every other pilot hoping for that seat and cross the old fingers.

Tue Jan 05, 1999 7:00 pm

Fedex hit it right on the head. The more grey hair you have, the better your chances of a left seat. lol

Wed Jan 06, 1999 1:11 am

Being made a captain should not be an age issue. Most companies have the policy that you have to have flown an x number of hours with that company or in a comparable operation. So, should you be lucky enough to have been hired at a very young age, then your number could come up at a very young age. At a UK company that I happen to be close to I know of several captains that are younger than 30, and there has even be one instance of a 24 year old captain. But here is the catch....they won't just make you captain when your number comes up. You will have to have consistently shown that you are very sharp, done the sim checks very well, as well as all the line checks. Then you also have to pass the command training, which is none too easy. So, for anyone that has made it to the left seat, they will have proved themselves over and over again. So, I for one, have absolutely no hesitation about captains under a certain age. In fact, this 24 year old captain is one of the sharpest pilots you'll ever meet (he's a training captain now).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos