RobertNL070
Topic Author

Brussels Bull

Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:06 am

In a leading Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant today (18.02.04) there was a small article tucked away in the Economy section. When I’d picked myself up from the floor, I thought – I’ve got to share this with the girls and boys at Airliners.net.

The EU commissioner for transport Ms. De Palacio wishes to harmonise labour regulations within the EU. Whether or not that is a good or a less good thing is something I do not wish to comment on. Before you read further, please hold onto your seat. Translated from Dutch: “A flight from one EU member state to another EU member state must not exceed THIRTEEN (my capitals) hours. Furthermore for flights that arrive between 22:00 hours and 05:00 hours, the maximum flying time for cabin personel should not exceed 11 hours and 45 minutes."

Turkey is a candidate EU member state: not very long ago I flew Ankara-London in 3¾ hours. A holiday charter from Helsinki, Finland to Málaga on Spain’s sunny Costa del Sol should take any longer than 5 hours (the Canary Islands strictly speaking do not belong to the EU. Portugal’s Azores do belong to the EU…..7 hours flying time from Helsinki maybe?)

Can anybody tell me what is the longest flight between two EU member states?
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

FLYtoEGCC

RE: Brussels Bull

Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:12 am

I'm not well up on my geography, but what about EU territories in the Pacific region, or even in the Carribbean? Do they count?
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

RobertNL070
Topic Author

Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:19 am

Don't think so: Amsterdam to Willemstad in the Dutch Antilles is in effect to one and the same country.
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

aviationfreak

Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:49 am

Well well, I guess the EU commissioner for transport Ms. De Palacio is a Brussels resident and never left the city in his life.

How long would take a flight from AMS to the Netherlands Antilles? It is less than 13 hours if I'm correct. And CHG-PPT? A direct flight would take aprox 13 hours is that correct.
I love both Airbus and Boeing as much as I love aviation!