airmale

Potential Middle East/Africa Routes For Air Canada

Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:38 pm

Lebanon will eventually come online, what about other places they could fly to if its feasible? Tehran, Istanbul, Amman, Damascus, Dubai, Jeddah, Cairo, Tunis, Casablanca, Johannesburg are some places that come to mind.
.....up there with the best!

behramjee

RE: Potential Middle East/Africa Routes For Air Canada

Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:43 pm

This has been discussed before but in a different sort of way so here are my thoughts on ACs future in your 2 regions.

When it comes to Africa the only destinations theyre interested in are CAI and JNB both to be served nonstop. No interest has been shown for LOS-ACC-NBO nor CASABLANCA.

As for the Middle East, until US improves it ties with IRAN...forget the thought of AC flying there nonstop at least!!!

BEY is the only likely destination to come online within the next 12 months and other future considerations are IST and DXB only. There isnt a market to warrant year around Canada-AMM/DAM flights if u ask me.

As for JED...nah...can be only seasonal during HAJJ-UMRAH otherwise NO wont work out. Btw what do AC do for Hajj-Umrah pax in that season? Do they have a relationship with Saudia from LHR or CDG to RUH/JED?

airbusfanyyz

Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:29 am

yup Behramjee, other than JNB and DXB I really don't see any other developing. IST is a big maybe if they try to compete with Turkish and their rumoured service to YYZ.

Cheers,
Kaz

MEA321

Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:41 am

DXB has a lot of potential for AC. In the future if AC does not pick up this route look for EK to jump on it really fast. There is a lot of business travel between the Mideast and North America, and connections in Europe are convenient. However, a direct flight would be more favorable to the time-oriented traveler who wants the shortest/fastest trip possible.
MEA321

flyyul

Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:54 am

BEY is the only route that makes sense at this point.

Africa is not a high yield market for Air Canada, despite the fact that Algeria/Morocco/Egypt figure in as some of the highest grossing immigration areas for Montreal.

Mark

airbusfanyyz

Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:26 am

DXB has a lot of potential, but remember that EK is ready to start DXB-YYZ route this year. I doubt that AC in it's current condition is in any shape to challenge EK head to head.
My $0.02

Cheers,
Kaz

flyyul

Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:31 am

YYZ-DXB on local traffic alone is not worth it.

The only reason why EK wants the route, is to promote connex to India etc.

Mark

toBEYwithMEA

Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:33 am

I know that there is a large Jordanian in Canada (well I'm lebanese but my friends tell me so) and since RJ has opened all these American routes then my not add YUL and/or YYZ. They could use the 342's
MEA FLYING HIGH AND RETURING TO IT FORMER GLORY!

airbusfanyyz

Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:42 am

Marc, you're right about the connex. to India... I personally along with many NRI's are anxiously looking forward to being able to get to India via DXB on EK.

What is meant by "large"? RJ used to fly into YYZ with their L1011s back in the good old days.

Cheers,
Kaz

airmale

Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:33 am

AC used to code share on Royal Jordanian flights out of YUL and YYZ to Amman, now I believe RJ code share on their flights out of London.
.....up there with the best!