I LOVE EWR
Topic Author

Alitalia's Standby Procedures

Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:59 am

I am flying Alitalia from LHR to FLR through MXP in a few weeks. Due to some of my plans that have changed I will be arriving in LHR the day before I am scheduled to travel onto FLR. Due to this change there looks to be earlier flights that can get me into FLR than I was regulary scheduled on. If possible I would like to try to get onto these flights to get into FLR earlier.

I checked my fare rules and there is nothing that says anything about standing by either way. How is Alitalia on letting passengers standing by for earlier flights? I would hate to have to get up earlier than I have to, check out of the hotel, and then be told I can't go any earlier.

VCE

RE: Alitalia's Standby Procedures

Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:24 am

Generally Alitalia is very 'flexible', but it depends if the flights before are full.

EZYcrew

Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:30 am

It will depend on the employee you happen to meet. Most are nice, but many are totally unaware of anything to do with ticketing and rules, and might just as well ignore you altogether. I found this out a year ago when I was travelling on a special "zed" non-rev. ticket, valid on AZ and many other airlines. And AZ staff in MXP didn't have a clue what it was and prefered to deny me boarding rather than use a little brain and look with a supervisor. Once the flight was gone, one of my colleagues at the LX ticket counter had to print and bring them the fare rules, and the AZ staff just said "sorry, we're not trained with complicated ticketing"... oh well..... that's Mama Alitalia!

VCE

Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:33 am

Ezycrew, this often depends on the ground staff that is the airport staff and not the AZ's one. Anyway AZ is one of the most 'flexible' airlines.

EZYcrew

Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:40 am

The AZ ticket desk in MXP is staffed by real AZ empl. I also had a problem a couple of years ago with AZ in MIA, but they were in fact Swissport employees, so not really AZ's fault (even though AZ could be more careful with their subcontractors, as most passengers don't have a clue they are not AZ staff).

And yes, I agree, in a very southern and mediterrranean fashion, they can be pretty flexible, ignoring their company rules and guidelines to make passengers a favor. I do appreciate this myself  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

VCE

Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:44 am

Well, i don't find MXP to be 'typical mediterranean'.. anyway i had also several problems in ZHR and in FRA because of delays of Swiss and LH.. and the staff wasn't so professional..

I LOVE EWR
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:20 am

Thanks for the replies.

Are the LHR agents outsourced or do they have their own employees manning the station? Any tips on getting the Emergency Exit Row? What is the intra-European service like with them anyway?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos