I just had a meeting at United's World Headquarters and being the nosey aviation geek that I am I had to dig around for some good info and rumors!
1. United is expected to generate close to 7 figure returns from printing advertisements on the inside lid of the Snack Boxes we serve.
2. The new ad campaign launched on print last week (18Feb) and on TV
in all our hub cities during the Academy Awards. It's supposed to be illustrations (I called them cartoons and was swiftly corrected) and they're supposed to highlight the emotional aspect of travel. Once again UA
goes for the "high brow" art form to connect with passengers as apposed to AA
's use of facts and figures in advertising.
3. 72 aircraft will be painted in 2004 in the new livery. Some of this number includes new CRJ's UAX will be taking delivery of and the others will all be painted after maintenance checks.
4. All flights over 2.5 hrs will include hot meal service in First and Business Class and our International First Class will again have flowers onboard, and more food selection as we try to "beef up" our premium products.
regains Beijing! Yahoo! Can't wait to go shopping there on a long layover! (this continues my two theories that UA
is going forward with a renewed focus on our international network and Point to Point flying abroad rather then through hubs)
6. Another reason TED has no first class was because premiere passengers all said for a leisure market that a first class offering wasn't as important as the ability to go there. In other words if the only way we could operate these leisure routes is all economy, the premieres thought a broader option in destinations are more important then first class offerings.
1. United World Headquarters is a different world since I was last there in 2001. There is a new energy, new enthusiasm and a general sense of life there. Last time I was there, it was a dreary place filled with cynism and doubt.
2. The logo on the outside of the building has got to GO! It's circa 1984 and it's sad looking! I already told 744Flagship to get on it when he gets hired there!
3. Oh, another thing that I re-learned was the importance of bringing your own MP3 or Cd Player with earphones while travelling. It's the perfect answer to annoying passengers next to you who think they're really really funny or to screaming babies! I've flown millions of miles and I still chuckle thinking about how a walkman/MP3 player is the ultimate escape!
1. Look forward to a news release in the upcoming weeks/months about changes to the fleet. (My guess is the inevitable retirement of the 762... but what will replace it?? Official sources say it's doubtful that it will be the 752. I doubt their doubtfulness.)
2. Look forward to TED's new destinations to POSSIBLY include Mexican and Carribean leisure destinations. Probably in 2005 this will really start up. "Ted... the low fare carrier born with a Silver Spoon in it's mouth" was a slogan floating around the halls too.
Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this bit of gossip on UA
The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better