ozzie

Should I Fly Continental Or Delta?

Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:15 am

I am planning on flying this March on either Continental or Delta from PHX-FLL. Having never been on either Continental or Delta I have no idea which is better. I will be flying coach. I like the aircraft used on Delta (763) and (764) over the (739) and (752) on Continental. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ozzie

trijetfan1

RE: Should I Fly Continental Or Delta?

Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:16 am

Go Continental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

cmckeithen

Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:17 am

CO is better than DL however it depends if you want to connect through IAH or ATL.

I would choose CO b/c of thier customer service and connecting through IAH is better than DL.

Just asking why not take America West or Southwest?

Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:18 am

I'd take the widebodies -- a better flight experience...

ozzie

Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:21 am

America West and Southwest flights cost more than Delta or Continental!

cmckeithen

Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:23 am

I know I just found that out. Thanks

ArmitageShanks

Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:23 am

I would go with Delta.

NIKV69

Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:57 am

CO!!!!!!!!!!!  Big thumbs up

Gordon Bethune will greet you and welcome you on the plane. Hand you his book, point out you are flying on a brand new plane. The service is great and I would choose them and I do.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

A great airline.
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

cmckeithen

Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:58 am

Heheheheh....CO all they way. CO the best. CO the only true 21st century air carrier

ssides

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:01 pm

Go with Continental. Given IAH's location, your trip should be shorter. Plus, service is better, the airline is run much better and more efficiently than Delta, and CO's hub at IAH is much better than Delta's ATL nightmare.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

MSYtristar

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:03 pm

Just out of curiosity, what exactly defines a "21st century air carrier" ?

Back to the question at hand....

Continental offers a better in flight product than Delta, but I always go with the wide bodies over the narrow bodies whenever possible, even if it is a domestic 763 with the old school movie screen and minimal overhead bin space, it puts a 73G/757 to shame!

Steve/NewOrleans

COTXDFW777AA

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:06 pm

Even though it is a widebody I would still go with Continental, they are probably the Legacy leader in most fields at the moment.

-COTXDFW777AA
Texas- it's like a whole different country!

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:08 pm

Heheheheh....CO all they way. CO the best. CO the only true 21st century air carrier

What? CO's flying ERJ IAH-NRT?

And does having more ERJ than mainline jets within your domestic system constitute a '21st century air carrier?'

cmckeithen

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:11 pm

"21st century air carrier"

To me a 21st century carrier is one that arrives on time 90% of the time, cares abouts its pax's, treats them like pax's and not a number (seat #), and above all provides 1st class service.

SESGDL

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:13 pm

Definitely go with Delta! Delta's ATL hub is the busiest airport in the world, cool place to be. Also, flying a 767-300/400 beats a 737 anyday.

GO WITH DELTA!

Jeremy

luv2fly

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:13 pm

Cost of the ticket and shortest flight would be my choice, also since my past experiences on DL have been sketchy at best, I would have to say CO.
You can cut the irony with a knife

MSYtristar

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:14 pm

Come on now IP....IAH-NRT? Let's be realistic here!

IAH-HNL-GUM-NRT is more like it. Continental Express Micronesia Jet service. Popular with the elite flyer without question.  Smile All the amenities of Northwest's premier transpacific service and that great RJ comfort. Could it get any better?

Steve/NewOrleans

YV136C

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:14 pm

Ozzie,

I'd say it depends. Having flown on DL's 763 and 764 myself I'd take CO as I have never flown them before. However, if you haven't been on a 764 I highly recommend you take DL....this is a true 777-type aircraft, which is quite confortable and powerful. Legroom sucks but anyway....

Luis
YV136C
Proud to work for Embraer FLL!

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:15 pm

To me a 21st century carrier is...

...one that arrives on time 90% of the time...

CO's January performance: 79.9%  Sad

...cares abouts its pax's reats them like pax's and not a number (seat #)
Crapinental could give two hoots about its passengers...

and above all provides 1st class service.
If RJ are your idea of First Class...

- - -

(waiting for artysman to flame me!!! bring it on!!!)

codc10

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:16 pm

You might have a more comfortable flight on the 737-900 and 757-200 than you would on the DL 767s. The domestic DL 767 fleet aren't particularly comfortable, IMO, even in First, and CO will at least serve you something to eat more than likely.

IAH isn't that tough a place to connect at if you're staying with mainline, although the walk from the North Concourse to Terminal E is pretty long. Odds are you'll have about a 5-6 minute walk to whichever gate you're leaving out of, with a maximum of 10 minutes like I said if you're transferring from the North side of Terminal C to the South. Shouldn't be much of a problem, Terminal E at IAH is beautiful and has plenty of nice places to eat, shop, or hang out if you have an extended layover. The rest of CO's facilities at IAH are decent but certainly nothing to write home about.

ATL is a little tougher because it's so big, but the design is pretty easy to navigate. Familiarize yourself with its concourses before you land so you have an idea of where exactly to go to the next gate. No matter what gate you arrive/depart out of, the efficient layout of the place will keep your transfer never to more than 15 minutes. It's a pretty boring airport, however, concessions are virtually the same amongst the midfield concourses, but the International Terminal E on the south side is infinitely nicer than T/A/B/C/D. I don't fly out of there often, the only domestic flights I've taken out of that building are 777s to CO / KMCO), USA - Florida">MCO/FLL and some 767s to LAX/SFO.

Go Continental if you concerned with comfort and food, go DL if you like a widebody experience. As far as airports, it's a tossup, but if you are going to be using the lounges at either airport, I give CO's collection of 5 Presidents Clubs at IAH (emphasis on the Terminal E clubroom) the edge over DL's 5 or 6 CRC's at ATL. Come to think of it, I'd probably rather connect at IAH anyway purely from a geographical standpoint, but that decision is yours. Hope I could help.

trijetfan1

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:17 pm

Go with CO, you will have to connect in CLE or IAH, and they are not as busy as ATL.
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

cmckeithen

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:18 pm

IndustrialPate what is your problem? All you do is patronize others posts.

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:22 pm

IndustrialPate what is your problem? All you do is patronize others posts.

Huh? I gave you my opinion... if you have a problem with me, take it here:
http://pub86.ezboard.com/fairwhinersfrm15.showMessage?topicID=563.topic

MaverickM11

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:27 pm

Newsflash....if you're travelling economy, you'll likely notice no difference between the two, other than the aircraft.
E pur si muove -Galileo

milemaster

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:33 pm

DL runs a pretty good operation out of ATL.. their coach product is pretty brutal though.

March is a pretty bumpy month for weather in Georgia.. You may be more likely to have weather delays in ATL as opposed a connection in IAH /w Continental.

It's probably going to make little difference as to which airline you take to be quite honest. I'd be more inclined to fly whichever carrier you see yourself flying the most in the future... For the sake of the FF miles.

wgw2707

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:33 pm

Interesting question. I just flew CO LAX-CLE-BOS on Thursday and will fly home tomorrow on Delta. I'll have an answer for you tomorrow evening, if I can remember to post one.  Big thumbs up

-WGW2707

Cactus739

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:43 pm

I'm always intrigued when I see a post about "who should I fly". You get 15 posts saying option A and they all list the same reasons, then you get 15 posts saying option B and they all list the same reasons.. However...

I would go for Continental. IAH is a much easier place to connect that ATL... and a flight on a CO 737-9 is probably just as comfy as a DL Domestic 767. Remember, size doesn't always matter. If you're looking for widebody, then go DL, they probably need your money a little bit more than CO.  Smile

Something to think about is your arrival & departure airport of PHX. Continental operates out of Terminal 2 here in Phoenix. Terminal 2 is the oldest one standing and its amenities are.... limited. You do have a nice view of the south runways though. Terminal 3 has many more amenities, a really nice shopping area, couple of restaraunts and a Starbucks, but is more crowded.

I don't know the dates you're looking at, but I checked a random set of days in March and our hometown airline America West was actually cheaper by quite a bit. Even if the price difference was minimal, I would take a non-stop to avoid connections. I hate changing planes... I want to get where I'm going. But, that's just me.  Smile

You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

navairjax

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:49 pm

Why not fly Frontier? But if you must choose between DL/CO I have had better experiences on Continental.

VC745D

Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:57 pm

Although my DL experience is out of JFK, which may not reflect the rest of its system, I'd say that DL is a sad product. Go CO, even with narrowbodies.

UAORD

Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:02 pm

Did you look at prices into MIA and PBI?

ozzie

Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:08 pm

For the dates I am going, CO is cheapest. I will most likely take them. FLL is closest to where I am going, and I believe the PBI flights were similar in price. It really doesn't make a difference.

kiwiair727tpa

Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:23 pm

Go Delta, They are the best US Carrier by a long shot, I have never had a single problem with them. My experience with CO in TPA was a very bad one, They lost a set of priceless Bagpipes that were my grandpa's he played in WW2 and I was going to play them at his funeral. Luckily me I had my own set with me just in case. I am still waiting for my grandpas pipes. Atlanta is a awesome airport and a chance to see wide variety of A/C in all 3 of Delta's Schemes. Since I live in Florida I must tell you that they have the best service to and from Florida.

COIAH99

Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:38 pm

IndustrialPate...
Since you know CO ontime performance for Jan. what are the figures for the other carriers. Just out of curiosity. I can't imagine any of them being over 90%.
8 out of 10 within 14 minutes is pretty good in my book. Just my opinion.
Work Hard Fly Right

Thrust

Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:48 pm

CO Big thumbs up

Of course I have never flown on Delta  Big grin

However I have flown CO STL-IAH, and IAH-STL Good service! Big thumbs up
Fly one thing; Fly it well

BFR

Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:00 pm

Fly DL! I've been on their 763 and 764 and I'll take widebodies any day of the week!

Thrust

Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:04 pm

Describe to me, in depth, the quality of DL's service please. Want to know how they compare to AA or UA.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

deltabobo

Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:08 pm

Wait, I am surprised that no one mentioned this..........

Continental is partners with Delta
Dispatchers...saving pilots from themselves and their egos since 1938!

COIAH99

Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:12 pm

Deltabobo
Good advice. Take them both and decide yourself. Continental there and Delta back. You can decide then which you like better.
Work Hard Fly Right

UAORD

Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:16 am

Not sure if TED shows up on orbits or other travel web-sites however I would check out their prices they are running some great promotional, would change planes in DEN. Nice A320 ride to FLL.

drerx7

Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:29 am

Well--my completely biased opinion is to take Continental (hey I live in Houston). There service is superior to Delta. I use to fly Delta all of the time but I got tired of there horrible customer service. I hate travelling through Atlanta--the airport is so big that I always have to run to make my connections--due to the late arrivals of my indound flight. I've had baggage problems on Delta several times; and various other issues. Their buy-on-board program sucks. The food is ok--but $8 for a sandwich or wrap is rediculous. The only thing that delta has going for it is their liberal use of 767s on domestic flights. Even though I'd usually prefer the widebody over a narrowbody--I'd have to go with CO--especially if the aircraft is a 753 or 737NG--just as comforatable if not more so than Delta 767s. Since OnePass and Skymiles linked up; I'll probably fly Delta a little more so they can lose more of my bags--at least I'll get miles for it.
Third Coast born, means I'm Texas raised

JBLUA320

Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:46 am

Go CO!!!!!

JBLU

ramerinianair

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:03 am

Ozzie,
I don't know your exact dates but from what I can see, CO has the cheaper fare; $245 rt. They also have a 1 stop flight, same plane don'[t have to get off. I think that flight is only available on select days, in my brief search, i only found it on the return. DL also has a 1 stop flight, it is available daily I believe but into PBI. If price matters you should check PBI and MIA they are all close. I would go with DL, I like PBI although it is smaller, I found it to be nicer and more classy. Don't get me wrong, FLL is nice and it does have more traffic but there is something about the aura in PBI; layed back and quaint(well at least when i was there!). Dl also have food for purchase available on the flight from PHX-ATL, CO only has a snack ... a bag of something small.
Hope I could help,
-S.R.
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

jumbojet

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:08 am

All airlines lose baggage, all airlines have delays, and as to which will lose your baggage and/or have delays that particular day you travel is anyones guess.

I've read all the above posts, and more importantly, another item to consider is this. Delta and Cont both are just about the same price and both arrive into FLL around the same time of the day, late afternoon. However, if you fly often, take Cont. The fare is a class B ticket which gives you 100% of the miles flown towards elite status. Delta's fare is a class T ticket which only gives you 50% of the miles flown towards elite status. However, you can now fly cont and have the one pass miles applied to your Delta sky miles account (and vice versa), but Delta has the better upgrade policy for its elite members, unlimited complimentary upgrades. Taking all this into consideration, Id rather be in ATL on Delta where there are 11 daily direct flights to FLL. (all on 767's). These flights are spaced about 90 minutes apart so there is never a long wait for the next flight if you should miss your connection. On Cont in IAH, the flights are spaced about 3 hours apart, thus making for a longer delay. Go with Delta.

cmckeithen

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:09 am

Huh? I gave you my opinion... if you have a problem with me, take it here:

http://pub86.ezboard.com/fairwhinersfrm15.showMessage?topicID=563.topic

I dont have a problem with you. I have a problem with the way you act and treat others (especially me) on this fourm. Its true. All you do is sit and wait to jump on people. Oh I forgot NO ONE IS PERFECT IN POSTING. WE DONT LIVE IN A PERFECT WORLD. WE ARE INTITLED TO OUR OPINIONS HERE FREE OF BERATEMENT, CRITIZATION, PUTDOWNS or WHATEVER YOU CALL IT. And if I sound pissed its because I AM.

There is a select few on the fourm whom will remained un-named that all they do is what I mentioned above. And if no one else see this on this fourm then they must be blind or don't care. And you IndustralPate can post whatever you want about me in the AirWhiners.net or what the hell you call it, but in the end, its you that belongs in the Assholes.com fourm.

And if the fourm meadators want to delete the post, bann me, or whatever they want to do, so be it. But I am sick and tired of some of the things others post about others in this fourm and if no one else will WAKE up and recgnoize it, then I surly will and have.

Wheres the Teynol?

[Edited 2004-02-23 17:11:00]

rb211

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:27 am

Before you get to heaven, you have to change planes in Atlanta!!
Airline photography. Whether they're fully clothed, butt naked, having issues or confused I'm taking pictures!!

VC745D

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:34 am

CMcKeithen: If you're going to take up space on this forum with your continual displays of anger (which are so easy online) and your inability to accept differences of opinion, then please learn to use spell check. Back to the topic.

[Edited 2004-02-23 17:50:13]

SJU767

Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:47 am

Go with Conti... IAH is better than ATL plus the service on-board is superior than any other US airline.

codc10

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:03 am

Jumbojet-

CO's upgrade policy is FAR better, unlimited automatic upgrades space-available. I think you mixed the two programs up.

Plus, their domestic first is definitely a step up from DL.

cmckeithen

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:46 am

Inability to accept differences of opinion

Your another one right next to IndustrialPate VC745D. It's yall that can't accept differences in others opinions.

ND

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:04 am

I would go with CO, I took Delta from BRU to ATL on a 767 Widebody and hated it, the service wasn't really good at all. I also did ATL to ORD and it was just as bad, if not worse... this was November 2003

In December 2003, I took CO from LGW to IAH (777) and the service was amazing! And fine, although you won't fly a 777, on my way back I took IAH-EWR-BRU which is all operated by a 764 and the flights were better than ever.

Flame me all you want, I just gave how I felt. Although everyone's opinion about a carrier might be different, I'm entitled to one, so there it is.

ND
Hated By Many
Confronted By None
ND - Hated By Many, Confronted By None