UA 744 @ Prauge?

Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:38 am

I was checking out the latest pics and saw this one:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michal Plot

I didn't know UA had flts to Prauge with 744's. Is this a new route, diversion, charter, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Educate your children before others mis-educate them!!!

RE: UA 744 @ Prauge?

Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:45 am

I would guess most likely a Military Charter.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Tue Feb 24, 2004 7:51 am

Yes it´s a military charter

Every landing is a controlled crash

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:29 am

Nobody flies to Prauge - there's no such place. Otoh they do fly to Prague  Smile

Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:44 pm

I second KLM777's comment. It is indeed on a military charter. I could not bring myself to believe United would bring such a large aircraft to Prague for passenger purposes. A Boeing 763ER would be enough to serve Prague for passengers, if UA ever decides to do such a thing within the next few years before the 7E7 would take its place.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:00 pm

Anyhow sidetrack...why is the photo copyrighted to Jeremy Chiou when the photographer is Michal Plot :O

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:31 pm

All military charters to Kuwait City were operated from Frankfurt until Jan 2004 but the German gvt has asked the US not to use that base anymore for this particular purpose.

Warsaw was an option but Prague was eventually chosen. The compensation from the US to the Check Republic is unknown at this time (It is part of the "war effort"... and eventually of our huge deficit).

Strict rules are still enforced. Once the military charter has landed, no one gets to tour Prague's terminal...
Everyone boards another plane so quickly that everything gets done in 50 minutes!

The pax/soldiers kids don't care about the short stopover/no shower or break on the ground between 2 long haul flights.

They are back from Hell.
AA Ex. Platinium

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:03 pm

Being in Prague now, I posted this same query before. Yes - it's a charter from what I understand. And I haven't seen one yet! This is not a location for things like a 747, or any other larger widebody. There are few long-range direct flights here it seems.

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:50 pm

Question for Aifos:

Did the German govt ask all AMC carriers to stop using Rhein-Main for troop movements to KWI? My friend is a carrier rep and ATC controller in FRA and told me AA and UA use PRG for tech stops and crew change, but all others such as ATA and World use FRA.

Also while PRG authorities have strict regulations as you mentioned for these tech stops-it is inevitable that sooner or later, (if not already), there will be an aircraft grounded for 24hours for MX, WX, or crew. At this point the carrier would be responsible for accomodating the troops-which would most likely require them going into terminal.

Just a couple of months ago there was an incident in SNN when an ATA L10 had a mechanical there and the troops were taken to a hotel in Limerick. 1 or 2 soldiers went into town, (in their uniforms), to get $ from an ATM-the local police stopped and detained them as it is Irish law that no foreign troops can wear uniforms in that country without permission from the ministry of defense.

Some military units, (Guard or Reserve), are aware of this possibility and require troops to travel on charter flights in civilian clothing.

Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:06 pm

Answer to SQ25J

Good point about the eventuality of a mechanical failure grounding the planes at some point in the near future. Although considering the amount of money the airlines are getting for these charters they have so far made sure their planes were in perfect flying conditions.

I was in my posting only referring to UA and AA in Prague using first hand info. Eventually the other AMC will also transfer their ops there.

All the charters I was referring too were troops travelling in their dusty uniforms. No civilian clothing on these flights.

AA Ex. Platinium