FLIBOYZ

The End Of Mrtc On AA Is Coming Soon

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:09 pm

Heard through the grapevine and a pretty good source that MRTC on AA will be coming to an end in the near future.

I wonder what the impact would be from this? For example losing customers because of MRTC. When AA first did this tons and tons of positive responses came from first time flyers and frequent flyers.

And don't ask me from what source I got it from because of course I CANNOT disclose that information.

Any thoughts on what impact this will take on AA.

tekelberry

RE: The End Of Mrtc On AA Is Coming Soon

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:12 pm

NO. What you probably heard was what was announced by AA months ago. No more MRTC on 757s and A300s only.

[Edited 2004-02-24 06:13:30]

KKMolokai

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:13 pm

Rumors!

I have a meeting in the morning with management, I'll confirm.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

FLIBOYZ

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:15 pm

Tekelberry-

NO. I know about the 757s and the A300s.

To clarify, I meant the ENTIRE FLEET to have seats put back.

FLIBOYZ

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:17 pm

KKMolokai-

They may not be in any position to answer that question now. Do you think? And if they answer with a no, you think it's true. It's been floating around AA for awhile that seats are going to eventually be put back.

What do you think? I hope they don't. That's one advantage for AA to distinguish from the other carriers.

KKMolokai

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:21 pm

If you listen to the 4th quarter financial results on AMRcorp.com, Arpey addressed this question. If I remember correctly, he said while anything is possible, that AA has (had) no immediate plans to retire MRTC on the rest of the fleet.

FLIBOYZ

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:27 pm

Also not to discredit your area of expertise.  Wink/being sarcastic

Well we'll just have to wait and see what happens huh.

Good Night

BCAInfoSys

Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:57 pm

I have no source that I can point to, but I have heard the same thing as Fliboyz, I'm with him on this. I think he's right, AA will indeed end MRTC soon.

Luckily for me, it's not soon enough. Mwahahahaha, I get to cross the Atlantic with not only MRTC, but MRTC in an emergency exit row! Schweet! lol!  Big thumbs up
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

sccutler

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:02 pm

Having already been scammed by the new LRTC program, I am very disappointed that AA will end MRTC. It was the sole point of difference justifying selection of AA on several recent trips, and ending it will be the point of difference in selecting competing carriers in futuro.

Unfortunately, it does appear that AA's contempt for the traveling public, most notably those whose travel options are severely limited (for example, those who reside in North Texas), continues without abatement.

Very disappointing.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

JFernandez

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:16 pm

It's quite a funny problem actually. MRTC got more people in the planes, which caused the AA brass to lament about how you had full flights, and now they want to cram more seats in. D'oh.

tekelberry

Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:54 pm

Having already been scammed by the new LRTC program, I am very disappointed that AA will end MRTC. It was the sole point of difference justifying selection of AA on several recent trips, and ending it will be the point of difference in selecting competing carriers in futuro.

Unfortunately, it does appear that AA's contempt for the traveling public, most notably those whose travel options are severely limited (for example, those who reside in North Texas), continues without abatement.

Very disappointing.

You wrote that entire thing based on a rumor spread by someone who has a "top secret" AA source?

KKMolokai

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:28 pm

Exactly Tekelberry! I was thinking the same thing.

My meeting with HDQ is in a few hours, and you can bet MRTC will be one of the questions I have for them, along with possible A300 replacement aircraft, since it was stated in my last meeting that AA is planning to start retiring the A300s beginning in 2008. Will keep you all posted.

plaaneboy

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:28 pm

Fliboyz-

It was just reviewed and the decision was not to expand SRTC for now. What you heard is pure speculation from someone who doesn't know what he's talking about.

luv2fly

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:28 pm

Well I would hate to see it go, tho to be honest I will not be surprised if they do go back. AA is doing everything to shore up the bottom line and the ability to sell a few more seats on each and every flight, well you do the math.
You can cut the irony with a knife

b752fanatic

Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:39 pm

I'll say, I flew the A300 in coach last week MIA-SDQ, I felt so uncomfortable that I repeated my self saying that I wont fly in AA anymore.

The bad thing is that the first leg was on a 777, and I loved it, since it was a urgent equp. change, the second leg was on the original scheduled aircraft the A300.

Next time I will try to avoid the A300, and go for the 738.

"Truth is more of a stranger than fiction." Mark Twain

richardw

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:05 am

Why is an AA A300 so bad, I am booked on one JFK-MIA.

toltommy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:09 am

Because it has the new MRTC...

"More rows throughout coach"

AA717driver

DL Ch. 11 Counsel?

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:17 am

AA has reached the point that they can now declare MRTC was not 'producing the desired results' or some such B.S. the PR flacks come up with to try to make management not look so bad.

Look, TWA tried it and found they hemorrhaged revenue. Had AA management not refused to learn from history they might have avoided this problem.

Sorry to rain on those who really like the extra legroom(who doesn't?) and it may cause people to book away(we booked away from USAir because of their excessively narrow seats on the 737's in the early '90's). But the airline HAS to start generating more revenue and they need it now!TC
FL450, M.85

N777UA

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:43 am

Didn't TWA hemmorage money regardless of whether or not they had more room in coach?

ssides

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:44 am

Your contempt for AA is astonishing.

First of all, you base your opinion on a rumor. And your profile says you are a lawyer. Didn't they teach you not to jump to conclusions in law school?

More astonishing, however, is how you say that AA "limits" the travel options of people in North Texas. What the hell are you smoking? Here is an abridged list of destinations that North Texans wouldn't have if it weren't for AA:

ZRH
CDG
ACA
GRU
LIM
CCS
SCL
EZE
HNL
YUL
YYC
YVR
SJU
AA), Japan">NRT

AA has its problems, sure, but overall it is a great asset to the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. And as far as MRTC is concerned, if it does in fact disappear, at least AA had the guts to give it a shot. If they end up getting rid of it, blame the traveling public that cares more about price than legroom -- not the airline.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

toltommy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:47 am

If AA can't sell all the seats they produce now at a return that they are happy with, what makes them think that ADDING seats is the answer? Wouldn't that mean MORE seats that they can't seel at a level they are happy wtih?

luv2fly

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:54 am

TOLtommy

The problem as I see it with airlines as well as other service industries is the revenue management get involved and start to find ways to save pennies at the expense of customers. The saying is "penny wise and dollar foolish"

And you are right, right now they probably not filling all the seats, so why have even more to fill? Because some pencil necks in revenue management have decided that by having 12 extra seats per aircraft might generate xx dollars per flight, times xx number of flights per day, times xx numbers of flight per month, times xx number of flights per year.
You can cut the irony with a knife

toltommy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:02 am

A more realistic fare structure, like Alaska Air just implemented, combined with MRTC, might be the way to go IMO. Bring the bottom fare up slightly, cap the walk up fares, make FC affordable so that your business pax might just purchase it, rather than buy the lowest fare and then upgrade, and eliminate the round trip and Saturday stay requirements.

Like him or not, Crandall and AA drove a lot of change in this industry after deregulation. AA could be the first "Big 6" carrier to adapt to the new reality, and gain a valuable head start on their rivals. It worked when they introduced SuperSavers and AAdvantage....

VC745D

Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:50 am

Not a surprising development. The "AAdvantage" program ceased to command my strict loyalty to AA once I realized that I usually accrue more monthly mileage with non-flying expenditure. "Mrtc" took its place as the most important factor in my choosing AA whenever available. Now it seems that AA will just be a somewhat cleaner DL. Not good.

Cory6188

Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:25 am

Doesn't CO also provide service via SkyWest for the small cities in North Texas thru IAH? If for some reason they all ditched AA, they could experience the 31" pitch of CO instead.

ssides

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:47 am

Cory6188--

SkyWest operates as Continental Connection to the following Texas cities:

ABI (Abilene)
SJT (San Angelo)
ACT (Waco)
ILE (Killeen)
TYR (Tyler)
TXK (Texarkana)
VCT (Victoria)
CLL (College Station)

In VCT and CLL, SkyWest replaced Continental Express; the flights were downgraded from ERJs to EMB-120s.

In ABI, SJT, ACT, TYR, and TXK, Continental Express pulled out after 9/11. Between 9/11 and recently, AAEagle was the only carrier in these markets; the only destination was DFW.

Prior to SkyWest's arrival, ILE only had service to DFW via AAEagle and ASA.

SkyWest's arrival has resulted in a significant reduction in fares for most of these cities. In terms of boardings, ABI reported its highest boardings ever last month. This competition should continue -- both airlines are among the best in the world, and these Texas cities should be proud to be served by them.

RiverVisualNYC

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:53 am

Funny that they still have the MRTC info prominently featured on aa.com, including some that implies that it's on all AA flights and only mentiones that it's not on the 757s and A300s in the fine print at the bottom. IMHO, the whole promotion was blown when they took it off these aircraft, because the message and brand image was no longer consistent. It's like "get more room in coach on AA, but as long as you're not flying on a 757 or an A300, the former which makes up a large portion of our fleet." In a business in which the customer values consistency, the message isn't consistent.

AirMatt

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:02 am

I am like most and hope that they don't remove MRTC. Being 6'4" makes a 32" seat tough... However, if they do, I'm not changing my loyalties from AA to another. I mean, what do I get by changing?? They're not going to change to 30" or 31". They would only revert back to what every other "major" airline has.

I would like to know what the results would be by adding the additional seats. Aren't AA's loads around 70 or 80 percent? If you have an aircraft flying at 80 percent capacity on a consistent basis, why not remove 15 percent of the seats and fly at 95 percent capacity? I may be in left field on this but it seams to be sensible to me....

AA777MIA

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:29 am

RiverVisualNYC, the A300 and B757 do not make up a LARGE portion of AA's fleet, quite the opposite...

TWAL1011

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:45 am

What you call "LRTC" is just industry average pitch 30-31". The same as you find on any of the other major network carriers.

MRTC has shown that it does not provide AA with a revenue premium. People pick their airline based on the lowest cost. If AA is full of people who are paying low fares - and they can not put as many people on the plane as its competitors - they are at a disadvantage.

This is purely a business decision. If AA loses travellers who preferred MRTC it won't make much of a difference to their revenue - just as providing MRTC didn't really add much to the bottom line in the first place.

MRTC was added by former CEO Don Carty in 2000 when attracting high-yield business travellers was part of the business plan. Attracting business travellers is still important - but they are proving to be low-yield due to the change in corporate travel expenditures. Hence - the reason MRTC was adopted is no longer valid in 2004.

Even more - it is an incentive for the truly loyal passengers to maintain elite status or purchase upgrades as first class legroom suddenly becomes more attractive.

ssides

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:56 am

why not remove 15 percent of the seats and fly at 95 percent capacity? I may be in left field on this but it seams to be sensible to me....

Sorry, and no offense, but you are in left field.

By the logic you demonstrated, you could just leave 10 seats on the plane, fly at 100% capacity, and make money. Unfortunately, that will not work.

For the sake of the argument, let's say AA's average seat-mile cost is $.05. For a 100-seat plane, their cost would be $5 per mile. For a 1000-mile flight, the cost would be $5000 for the flight.

Now, assume that the average fare for the flight is $55. If the 100 seats are full, AA makes $5500, or a $500 profit on the flight. However, if they adopt a "MRTC" format and reduce the number of seats to 90, their costs will be quite similar -- removing 10 passengers will probably not reduce fuel burn, pilot salaries, F/A salaries, etc. by very much. So if the cost is still $5000, they're now making $4950, a loss of $50.

Basically, reducing the number of seats on the aircraft reduces the amount of revenue a plane can generate. To put it another way, a plane that could potentiall generate $5000 of revenue per flight with "LRTC" might only produce a maximum of $4900 with "MRTC."

Now, before you go and say "wait, doesn't reducing the supply of seats increase the quantity demanded, and the price of the seat?" -- think about it. This would only occur if all airlines reduced their seats.

In this highly competitive market, small changes in supply by a single airline aren't going to affect fares very much. AA has tried to distinguish themselves via MRTC, but it might not be helping the bottom line. If their planes can't produce enough revenue, they'll have to find other ways to maximize it.

[Edited 2004-02-25 03:58:22]

ckfred

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:02 pm

What's interesting is that a lot of people who don't live at AA hubs or other major cities haven't heard of MRTC. I got the feeling that AA never did a national ad campaign for MRTC. If it had, rumors of its demise wouldn't be so rampant.

Another interesting point is that APA, AA's pilots' union, thought MRTC was the worst idea AA ever tried, because it increased the per seat cost. That has left me scratching my head. I know a number of pilots, both AA and other carriers. They are bright guys who understand finance. The whole point of MRTC was to get more business travelers who pay higher fares. I just never understood how APA management didn't understand that.

What I really don't get is why AA stuck 2 rows of coach back into the 757s. AA also put 2 rows of coach back into the 737-800s, but they took out a row of first, so it's now 16+126 with MRTC. If AA took out a row of first in the 757s, they could seat 18+166 with MRTC. Considering that the 757s are now flying to mostly leisure destinations, taking out a row of first would make sense. It would be mostly leisure flyers using AAdvantage miles for upgrades, rather than elite-status and full-fare flyers getting upgrades without miles.

tekelberry

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:39 pm

MRTC was added by former CEO Don Carty in 2000 when attracting high-yield business travellers was part of the business plan. Attracting business travellers is still important - but they are proving to be low-yield due to the change in corporate travel expenditures. Hence - the reason MRTC was adopted is no longer valid in 2004.

They are removing the MRTC on the 757s and A300s. These aircraft are almost always exclusively used on leisure routes and NOT the business routes. Hence, the program is still designed with the business traveller in mind.

sccutler

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:55 pm

Sorry I have missed this thread's development. Working and all that...

Ssides wrote:

Your contempt for AA is astonishing.

First of all, you base your opinion on a rumor. And your profile says you are a lawyer. Didn't they teach you not to jump to conclusions in law school?

More astonishing, however, is how you say that AA "limits" the travel options of people in North Texas. What the hell are you smoking? Here is an abridged list of destinations that North Texans wouldn't have if it weren't for AA:...

++++

Nothing I wrote was in any way based upon web-board rumors. Rather, I booked a trip for my family of four on AA, and have since discovered that we are relegated to AA's new LRTC-reconfigured 757 equipment, both ways. The contempt which exists is in AA's consistent approach to its customers.

If you are possessed of the silly notion that north Texas only has the various services you reference by the kind graces of AA's presence, you are the one whose choice of recreational smokes is in question. AA has consistently fought to suppress any meaningful form of innovation in this marketplace, and they have done so with great success.

Since we are profile surfing, I'll note that you live in Austin, a city from which you can at will buy a ticket on Southwest to anywhere they fly, a luxury we in Dallas do not have, in large measure because of AA's effective lobbying. One of the amusing side-effects of that fact is that, at any given time, there are a number of city pairs to which you can fly from AUS for less, on AA, than I could fly from DFW, even though you'd be connecting for the trip, in DFW, on the same flight I would take. That's the "Southwest Effect" at work, something AA has diligently worked to suppress here (with great success).

If AA were not flying the routes you mentioned, someone else would be, and they might be a little more motivated to provide some service differentiation. If AA were not practicing aggressive predatory behavior, I could still book a ticket on Legend, fly from Love, and ride in remarkable comfort. AA uses its position of market dominance at this hub to ensure that we, here, pay more for nearly any given stage length, than do passengers at most other stations.

AA's reduced-pitch product is inferior to Southwest's seat pitch, yet another reminder that the core product can be outstanding, and the price consistently reasonable (not always the cheapest, but never confiscatory).

Lastly, I note comments about AA flying its 757's to "mostly leisure destinations" as some sort of justification for eliminating the only positive point of difference AA has had in years- its increased seat pitch. Simply because you can do something- such as reducing the quality of a product- does not mean that you should do so.

I certainly hope AA does not do away with MRTC in the rest of its fleet- that these "web-board rumors" are nothing but. Unfortunately, the contempt AA has shown for its customers in the past suggests that the rumor may ultimately be borne out. We shall see.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

airxliban

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:59 pm

you know what, i don't even think MRTC is that much of a big deal. I recently flew LAX-MIA on a 777 and MIA-LAX back on a 757. When I got in the 777, it took me a good 1/2 hour to realize that the plane had more room throughout coach and this was only when I looked in the American Way magazine!!

And then on the return leg, it didn't occur to me that the 757 has standard room throughout coach until I looked at my print out on AA.com and the 752 flight didn't have the MRTC emblem next to it.

I don't really consider it that big of a deal, at 5'8" i'm not tall by any means but nor am I a midget.

Anyway, how much of a competitive advantage is MRTC anyway? If you are a seasoned United flyer, you will probably stick to star anyway, likewise for delta or NW or what have you.

For travellers who don't have something specific in mind, i would think that connections and timing are more important than the "luxury" of MRTC.

That said, i really like American Airlines and I am taking them to Nassau next month. Flying on 757s both ways and not complaining even though I could have gotten on a 763 for at least one leg.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

777boy

Mrtc

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:21 pm

I've always liked MRTC, and I think it should be on all AA's flights. However, to my experiences, AA has done a very good job of using the 757s to lower certain prices.

Here's my example: Going to Las Vegas from SJC usually puts me back about $170 dollars, regardless of airline (AA or SWA). On Feb 6-9, I flew to Vegas for $105. The catch: both flights were on 757s. MD-80 flights on the same days were still running the normal $170, and Southwest was over $200. I certainly appreciate AA doing this since on the very short flight from SJC-LAS I don't really care about legroom.

Also, when I want to, Its pretty easy for me to avoid the 757s when I need to (long flights) since out of SJC and SFO most flights to DFW and ORD are 738s and MD80s.

That said, I hope AA doesn't remove any more MRTC. I'm ok with the way MRTC is now, but I'd hate to see it on no aircraft at all. :-(

Ealsys1

Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:39 pm

"They are removing the MRTC on the 757s and A300s. These aircraft are almost always exclusively used on leisure routes and NOT the business routes. Hence, the program is still designed with the business traveller in mind."

MIA business traveller here. It Sucks!! Since I live in a "leisure" destination, I'll get stuck on 757's and A300's from time to time. I reconsider my loyalty to AA if I have to travel on that equipment. I LOVE MRTC!!!

Sam

AApilot2b

Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:02 pm

One of the big reasons I am so loyal to AA is the MRTC program. I am tall and willing to pay a little extra for that added leg room on a longer flight. I hate sitting in a seat with someone else's head in seat jammed in to my knees and their head in my lap.
I really don't believe this rumour, but if it did prove to be true, I probably would be less inclined to choose AA in the future. I think AA has a good thing going with "more room throughout coach." For example, I recently purchased round trip tickets on AA for my mom (who is not a big fan of flying) to travel from London to Phoenix. After the trip, the first thing she commented on was that she preferred AA over Delta and BA because there was "so much room in the coach cabin." This was her first time flying AA. She loved it and will probably fly with them again because of her positive experience.

Thrust

Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:08 pm

I hope this doesn't mean the end of MRTC on AA's 777s. I loved it. Enjoyed two of my most comfortable flights ever on an AA 777. How much longer should we expect MTRC on UA's 772ERs?
Fly one thing; Fly it well

baw2198

Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:47 pm

Sorry for asking but..

What is MRTC?
"And remember, Keep your stick on the ice"--->Red Green

airxliban

Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:53 pm

BAW,

More Room Throughout Coach. The seats are spaced a little bit further apart from each other than usual, this is a key advertising point that American has been using for a while.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

ha763

Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:24 pm

What's interesting is that a lot of people who don't live at AA hubs or other major cities haven't heard of MRTC. I got the feeling that AA never did a national ad campaign for MRTC. If it had, rumors of its demise wouldn't be so rampant.

I definitely recall AA advertising MRTC when it came out. There was the commerical where they showed all the pax in the cabin crossing their legs and then switched to a outside view showing the rocking back and forth. Then the pilot comes on the PA asking the pax not to do it at the same time. Then there was the other commercial where they show a row with the standard seat pitch and then show it increase with a pax streching out.

It had to be a national campaign given that I saw those commercials on network TV and I do live in Hawaii, which isn't exactly a business destination.

baw2198

Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:56 pm

AirxLiban

Thanks

Baw2198
"And remember, Keep your stick on the ice"--->Red Green

AirMatt

Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:47 pm

Ssides,

My only point on this was not to say reduce seats to 10 in order to fly at 100% capacity. And I do realize that with more seats, obviously you will make more money. However, if a 100 seat plane is consistently flying with 80 people on board, what difference does it make if the plane only had 85 seats?

AA717driver

DL Ch. 11 Counsel?

Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:09 am

777UA--Yes, TWA did hemmorhage cash. That's because they had a massive debt load and all the assets were leveraged. Kind of like UAL right now...

Ckfred--APA was against raising seat mile costs because they knew the company would use it against them in negotiations. And, they knew it didn't work when it was tried before. Kind of like an airline putting a hub in MCI.

MRTC also allows for fewer cheap seats on a flight. If you have 10 seats at the lowest comparable fare and your competitor has 12, you will sell out sooner. When people call and you are out of cheap seats, they will check elsewhere. Then you have 10 seats at the next higher fare bucket and your competitor has 12 the same thing happens. That's a loss of 4 seats on a given flight. That adds up to a bunch of lost revenue when spread over a year at a big airline.TC
FL450, M.85

ssides

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:25 am

Matt --

The point is that reducing the number of seats reduces the potential revenue that the plane can generate. In a high-demand time or market, you'll want the plane producing maximum revenue. That's why they don't remove more seats, the fixed costs of each flight are just too high.

AirMatt

Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:32 am

It makes sense Ssides..... Maximizing during peak hours/times and markets is definitely a good thing!

mattnrsa

Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:34 pm

You could always fly with UA, offering Economy Plus sections on all flights (ex-Shuttle reconfiguration will be completed soon)! UA found removing only one row of seats was a good compromise of extra legroom for full fare and Premier pax without sacrificing excessive revenue. They could have done away with it if it wasn't working out. Now that UA's turnaround is well underway, it looks like E+ is here to stay. (I'm a poet and didn't know it!  Smile )