lumumba

British Airways And Snba

Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:49 pm

Hi everybody.
Just read in the news paper here in Belgium that B.A is interested to invest in SNBA.
As soon as SNBA is finacially healty,BA might sit together with the management of SNBA to see if there is a possibility of fund paricipation.Mr Eddington said.
Regards
Patrice

JGPH1A

RE: British Airways And Snba

Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:55 pm

With a view presumably to nabbing any LHR slots that remain with SN, turning it into a franchise to operate BRU LHR/MAN/BHX/EDI etc, and killing off everything else. You watch.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

lumumba

Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:59 pm

Hi JGPH1A.
I also think it's beter to take another partner like A.A.
Because B.A will try to do like SWISSAIR just suck the passengers from SNBA to LHR.
A.A will need the hub in brussels to expand in Europe.
Regards
Patrice

Sabena 690

Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:00 pm

Just wanted to start a topic about this too...

I guess that BA is very interested in the Europe-Africa traffic of SN?

SN managed to announce a profit after only 2 years of existance. This in combination with a very slot restricted LHR, and an empty BRU...

It's remarkable that SN has very close ties with a lot of OneWorld airlines. An extensive codeshare with Iberia, an extensive codeshare with BA, and American Airlines that is expanding through BRU by adding a BRU-JFK (starting within about a month), and increasing the codeshares with SN on European and African sectors.

What would be the advantage for SN to merge with BA?

Star Alliance currently has 25% (or maybe even more) of the passengers flying from BRU. Wouldn't a good base in the heart of Europe make sense for BA? Maybe they would be able to win a part of the Star Alliance pax back?

Frederic

eg777er

Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:18 pm

Some interesting developments concerning one of my favourite little airlines (numerous NCL-BRU and one BRU-MRS recently, all with v.g. service).

How is Brussels for hubbing? I know the layout is quite good with a lot of spare capacity. But how expensive is it? How slot-restricted (not due to traffic, more to noise).

I've always maintained that BA needs a large hub airport on the continent, close to the UK (I think MAD/Iberia would be too far away) to use for transfer traffic and then focus O&D on LHR. For example, pax flying from the UK regions to Asia or the M.E. could just as easily transfer through a continental hub on BA metal than LHR.

In the past, it was KLM and AMS that BA were after, for a merger that would mean you could fly BA without ever going near LHR or London. But could this proposal be changed to SNBA and BRU?

pilatusguy

Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:15 pm

IMO BA is gonna try and do the same as with LX - offer some needed funds in exchange for LHR slots. (see recent developments on GVA - London routes)

Lumumba,
wouldn't AA do better in using ZRH as a hub once LX is a Oneworld member?
However, I don't know about fees, etc in BRU but if they are considerably lower than in ZRH I could also imagine AA using BRU as a continental europe hub.

Sabena690,
there were rumours around here that BA is interested in "hubbing" it's Africa destinations out of ZRH - anyone heard of that one before?

My two cents on this one Big grin

lumumba

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:22 am

Hi Pylatusguy.
I think A.A can use Zurich and Brussels.For example to fly from jfk to Nantes or Duselsdorf or even Bristol Bru has a beter geografic situation.
For the African hub it's the same I d'nt see SWISS today open new destination in Central Arica(like Kinshasa for ex) after closing some.
But for Johannesburg Zurich is needed.
Regards
Patrice