2. Dress Nice If You Want The Front
3. Never Complain To The F/A
4. Add Yours

Sabena332

RE: Non-Rev Rules

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:04 am

• Don't complain

• Patrick
    NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

FA4UA

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:08 am

unless someone is bleeding, lost conciousness, having a heart attack or your passing out $100 bills, never touch the FA Service Button! If you want something get your butt out of the seat and ask politely in person.

FA4UA
    The debate continues... Starwood or Hyatt... which is better

mckennasmall

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:16 am

Always say your please and thank you

wingsofman72

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:20 am

Don't crowd the gate podium.

OPNLguy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:33 am

In addition to those already mentioned, I always try to...

1/ Pay attention to the F/A's safety briefing, even though I've personally heard it a couple of gazillion times. If others see me put down my magazine and pay attention to the F/A's info, maybe some of those other (non-employee) folks will too.

2/ Volunteer for any seat at an emergency exit. When an F/A asks (just to makes sure) that anyone sitting there knows the exit/procedures, etc., I let them know I'm an employee.

3/ Be available to be re-seated (if I'm not on an exit) in the event that parties traveling together are separated, and my switching seats will allow them to sit together.

4/ When offered a meal/snack, always asking (even if I've listed) if they have enough for all the revenue pax.

5/ Spend one-on-one time with any fearful flyers, explaining stuff (in the most general of terms) that they may be freaking out about.

6/ Keep an eye out (especially since 9/11) for anything suspious, like other pax lighting fuses in their shoes....
    ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

DeltaGuy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:44 am

Always wear a nice shirt and tie and a coat  Big thumbs up Be nice, you'll get the front

Always let the person next you make their beverage orders first..then take yours.

Take the bulkhead seat if someone doesn't like it...I've yielded my regular F/C seat to a few folks who didn't want to be near a wall.

Finally..and this is one mentioned alot- don't let on to other passengers (especially those who paid an arm and a leg) that you're there for absolutely free Big grin)

DeltaGuy
    "The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

capicuuu

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:00 am

Deltaguy,

I wish my friend would follow your last point  Smile His wife works for Delta but he is not shy of letting others know about his way of getting in. I am fortunate to be in his good graces and will be flying non-rev to Madrid tomorrow, just making sure I have the slacks and dress shirt and hopefully I will have no problem to be up front.

J

DeltaGuy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:04 am

Capicuuu,

No problem  Smile It usually works best, in any circumstance for that matter, when you don't seem advantaged to someone else. I sometimes tell the casual person sitting next to me if they seem interested and wouldn't mind, but to the top-notch business man who looks like he paid 3 grand for his seat, I wouldn't dare mention it.

Wear a tie..and perhaps a sport coat...does the charm all the time!  Big thumbs up

DeltaGuy
    "The cockpit, what is it?" "It's the little room in the front of the plane where the pilot sits, but that's not importan

usdcaguy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:18 am

I find it best to smile and be pleasant to the gate agent. Also, actually ASKING for a seat assignment before your name is called is amazingly effective as many a gate agent can forget to clear the standby list until five minutes out, especially at smaller airports. Dressing well is also important; I always dress in slacks and dress shirt regardless of whether I'm flying coach or first class. If the cabin has at least a few people wearing good clothes, it can really class up the plane.

blueskies31

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:35 am

As a F/A, whenever a non-rev identifies him/herself to me during a meal service (which is most certainly the exception, not the rule) I go out of my way to 'reward' them...free drinks, extra goodies, whatever. They are doing the flight crew a service in case of a meal shortage (providing there is a meal these days) and in turn identifying themselves without being obnoxious. I'll never forget several years ago having an offline employee non-revving on a flight of mine intra-alaska. She ordered two gin and tonics, and as she was ordering she was twirliing her employee ID that was hanging around her neck as if to say, "um...I hope you're paying attention to my get-drink-free card". Felt like charging her double.
    a young boy on a farm looks up at a jet flying overhead, and dreams of far away places...a businessman on the jet looks

EMBQA

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:36 am

OPNLGuy-

As for your #1... Spot on...!! Just cuz' you've flown on a Delta MD-80 a zillion times, doesn't mean its set up the same as this airlines MD-80.........using this as just as an example.

The one thing I learned, along with using everything mentioned above, when the Gate Agent would say....."Well, things are kind of tight....No promises on 1st Class". I would always just say....."As long as I get home, I don't care where you put me." Guess where I was sitting.............  Big grin Be kind, Be courteous, Be Polite, Don't be demanding......they owe you nothing.

AND.....as has been said above, REMEMBER who pays the bills....!! The people around you..!! They came FIRST.

[Edited 2004-02-25 03:40:50]
    "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

DeltaAgent1

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:49 am

And also. Fellow Airline Colleagues deserve respect from their fellow airline colleagues. Because someone lists on a flight as a non-rev, whether they be from your own carrier or a competing carrier with a pass agreement, they deserve your utmost respect. They are not trying to get somethign for nothing. Remember---we all work very hard for these benefits. How many times have we worked Christmas Day, or any holiday for that matter. Stayed extremely late to meet an inbound flight, rebooked what seems like never ending lines of people when weather shuts us down, and the story goes on & on.

KKMolokai

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:20 pm

I think the number one rule should be, that each employee make themselves, and their guest travelers fully aware of the basic rules of non-rev travel. This will help ensure a seamless travel experience.

The best non-rev traveler is the one who goes unnoticed.
    We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

mirrodie

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:40 pm

Dress nice.
    Say please and thank you
    Request first class and hope for the best but expect nothing

In essense, be a good example to other passengers  Smile
    Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

skymileman

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:43 pm

With Delta it's always Dress nice or I'm fired, and maybe they'll give me the front.  Smile

SegmentKing

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:48 pm

we actually DB non-revs who are in the gate area with their IDs hanging around their necks. We ask non-revs to take off any IDs after checking in.

Here in Key West, i've even had to go as far as yank 2 off the airplane; they were talking about the fact they were flying "FREE" in front of everyone..

NRSAs are supposed to blend in, not stand out

-n
    ~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

AirframeAS

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:50 pm

One thing that is so important: Dont be rude to the gate agents or swear at the gate agents if you are bumped off of a flight. Ive seen that too many times, expecially with CO employees flying non-rev on AS in SEA. You are liable to lose your pass privilages if you do that.

ALSO......the one MOST IMPORTANT rule: DO NOT FLY ON YOUR SICK DAY! You can get fired for that!! I learned this the hard way but luckly I didnt lose my job at the time, but I should have been fired for that. Just be careful, if you have any questions about the rules of non-revving on your airline, check with your pass bureau. There are alot of rules, expecially with DL.
    A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

ltbewr

Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:55 pm

Question: can airline mechanics fly non-rev or reduced rev in recent years, and can they be asked to assist with repairs on a plane riding on?
    I recall a story of a woman I worked with in the early 1990's (as a fellow legal assistant) who used to work with PanAm in NYC (JFK?) in a mechanics job (yes a woman!). From my recall of her story: she was on a PanAm flight in Karachi, Pakistan, the a/c had a hydraulic problem and not able to leave until it was checked/repaired; one of the f/a's came to her, told her of the problem; she then left her seat, brought outside the plane to check out the problem, it was then ok'd or she repaired the problem, then got back into her seat and the plane took off. Apparently hydraulics were her area of speciality. I always thought this was a cool story. She had a number of relatives whom worked for Pan Am and she went to NYC's Aviation HS. I believe she was working for Pan Am while going to college.

AirframeAS

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:11 pm

It varies from airline to airline. But typically in this case non-revs are not allowed to perform duties while NOT on the clock. They are not in uniform first of all. But still how would this lady mechanic perform the work needed in order to get the plane off the ground without her tools and maintenance manuals? Was she an A&P "LICENSED" mechanic? Was the maintenance checked by an LICENSED A&P inspector? Did she have an 'return to service' authority? I have trouble buying that story, leaves me scratching my head. I think these questions are for a different topic.

But to anwser your question to the current topic, I say again: It varies from airline to airline. But typically in this case non-revs are not allowed to perform duties while NOT on the clock.
    A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

BHMNONREV

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:18 pm

The best non-rev traveler is the one who goes unnoticed.

Amen...nuff said...

A little patience goes a long way also..

jhooper

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:29 pm

check availability of the flight and get listed before you get to the airport. That way, you won't be surprised to find out at the gate that the flight is 30+ oversold and you don't have a chance.
    Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

jhooper

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:31 pm

...here are a couple more....

1) never overindulge with alcohol beverages
    2) don't question the gate agents and accept the seat you are given. your seat assignment is not open to discussion.

mckennasmall

Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:35 pm

Well this is sorta a rule everytime I get upgraded when seats are not over sold I usually get them a little something and put it in their mallbox. i.e. Chocalotes , Tim Horton's Coffer Mug. You will not imagine how many times I have been upgraded. Just think about it.

Also always over to move around for other passengers.

azncsa4qf744er

Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:28 pm

1. Have respect for that airlines do not wear Jean or sneakers. You're not going shopping or relaxing at home. Slack, buttons shirt and proper shoes is what you should be wearing regardless of what class you'll end up with.

2. After checking-in take off your ID and all possible items that expose yourself as an employee (ie. Crew tags, ID's etc.)

3. Do not bother the agent at the gate. They'll call you when its time.

4. You do as you're told by ground agents or F/A. The word No is no longer in your vocabulary (ie. You're bags too big, you need to moved seat a party of 3 not seating together, etc.)

5. Always say Please and Thank you.

6. Only used the F/A call button if it's 100% necessary. (Asking for a refill is not one of them and etc.)

7. You don't make a sense of any types. Do as you're told.

8. If seating in First class or Business class and notice a passengers from the back coach/economy class happen to join you. Please let the F/A know ASAP.

Have a great flight.

JGPH1A

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:15 pm

#1 If you can't get away, have a backup plan - validate-able ticket, ID ticket on another carrier, or be prepared (ie. have enough clothes, toiletries, medication etc in your carryon) to stay overnight and try the next day. ALWAYS assume you won't get away on your first choice of flight, and work from there.
    Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

HNLFlyBoy

Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:42 pm

I am a paying passenger but have a couple...

I once sat next to a f/a in uniform on UA who was dead heading from LAX to HNL. I was in F on a three-class 747, yep they ran those to HNL for awhile back in the early 90's. Anyway, he didn't seem to want to be there. I was in my mid-twenties at the time. I am very mature for my age and carry myself much older than I am as well as being dressed well. I decided to play my Gameboy and he seemed rather bothered that I was doing this by making it evident to me. When the flight attendant came around to take our meal order, he said to her rather snappily I might add, "I'll take what ever is left after he (points to me) orders." I almost said to him, "hey bud, I paid for my seat, I can do what I want, when I want"

So my rule is, be nice to your fellow seatmate, especially if you are in uniform making it more than evident you are non-rev.

The contrast to that story is when I sat next to a HA flight attendant in uniform who had just worked the flight from LAX to HNL and was dead heading back to LAX. Although she wasn't working, it seemed like she couldn't do enough for me. She made sure that I was well taken care of throughout the flight, even getting me some water and nuts during the movie so I wouldn't have to go to the galley myself. I think she might have liked me though....never got her number and she never offered it either

captaink

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:16 pm

I have never had a problem as a non-rev. I frequently get free upgrades, from my station manager. The flight attendants are very pleasant and helpful to me. In fact they know i am non rev, because they have the PIL, but the treat me like any other passenger. Once however i was travelling with my mom, and there wasnt a full two meals left for us. So the FA discreetly told me what went on, but then he went to galley and separated the meal and looked just like any of the other meals. He did however constantly refill my glass of wine. I am most thankful to them, and I let them know how great they are.

If a nonrev any airline comes to my ticket counter for help, I ensure that they are well taken care of. If the flight is full, I will go thorugh all options with them to get them where they need to go. If I am workign the gate, and all the premium paying passengers got their upgrades, I will ensure that these employees get theirs too. At our New Hire training, we were encouraged to see the value of showing good customers to our internal and external customers. I TREAT NON-REVS really well.
    There is something special about planes....

Relayze

Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:43 pm

When I travel Non-Rev either D1 or D2 99.9% of the time is in first class so that means that basically the FAs are friendlier than in coach. Sometimes I get 2 or 3 portions of roasted nuts if Im drinking.
    Also before boarding Im always polite to the counter agents and the FAs. So far in 5years of non-reving I have received awesome treatment. Once in SouthAmerica, I went to a club a couple of hours after arriving in the city and I was lucky to find the crew of the flight that took me there. We party like crazy that night. One of the girls told me they usually like to please non-revs because they realize they are on vacation and they want them to feel great.

Airmech56

Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:22 am

LTBEWR & AirframeAS,

I don't mean to get off the subject but I wanted to share one of my personal experiences, Last August I was vacationing in BZE. I was flying back on Continental's flight last flight of the day to IAH and we were informed that the flight was on the verge of being cancelled due to mechanical problems. Me being a mechanic for Continental, I offered to help because I wanted to go back home. The problem was the artificial horizon was not responding. This is a no go item if there is bad weather in the flight route. Anyway, The gate agent put me on the phone with maintenance control in Houston, and they told me that they would send me the removal and installation procedure via fax. I then borrowed some tools from the contracted line guys down there. and fixed the problem by reseting the instrument. Off we went with no problem maintenance control in Houston took care of the paperwork, I didn't have any tools and I wasn't in uniform. So yes if the problem could be fixed by an employee that is available off the clock the company would gladly let them fix the problem instead of cancelling the flight. Also if you do enough work the company will pay you for your efforts, but since I was able to do this job in under an hour I didn't mind doing it. I just wanted to go home.

CanadianNorth

Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:31 am

Heres the rules that I ussually go by:

- Dress decently.
    - Be polite.
    - Dont ask for too much.
    - Dont crowd the area right by the gate.
    - Try not to ask for upgrades.
    - Take whatever seat you can get.
    - Be nice to the persons next to you.
    - Be prepaired to be bumped off and/or to not have a meal left for you.
    - Dont complain.
    - You'll get there eventually, so whatever happens just go with it.
    - Be patient.
    - Dont broadcast the fact that you got your seat a hell of alot cheeper than buddy next to you.

CanadianNorth
    What could possibly go wrong?

Jumpseat70

Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:36 am

1. Indentify yourself to the gate agent, ie. "Hi, I'm Natalie Smith and I'm standing by for your flight. I'll be right over here." Then go sit down and stay down.

2. Dress nicely. At Delta, we WILL deny you boarding if you are not up to par with our dress code. No nose rings. Remember we are a southern, genteel airline, or at least we try to be one.

3. It is always nice to hear ,"Thank You" from someone. And fellow employees are the best to deliver that message.

4. If you EVER question the delivery of a standby priority, you might as well rehearse "The Kiss of Death". Questioning our integrity is not a smart thing to do when we are boarding a flight. (Arguing with a gate agent WILL definitely mean your seat is taken by the next guy in line. Remember it's OUR flight and we are responsible for every facet of it, including the 'butt head' standing in front of us who we just denied for 'attitude adjustment training.')

5. Have a great trip. I cannot tell you how good it feels to get a fellow airline employee squeezed onto a flight where YOU thought YOU weren't going.

As a former F/A...I can say I always wanted employees seated next to my window and door exits. ABM's are the best when they are airline trained. It's great to have thoses extra pair of eyes watching activity inside the plane as well.
    "Up, Up and away with TWA"

slider

Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:46 am

Ditto to a lot of the great points made above by everyone.

I'll add one that no one has mentioned, and it may vary on a policy basis airline to airline. But CO has a rule that a pass rider may NOT change their pass classification once checked in.

ie: you may change class of service (coach to FC), but you may NOT change your listing class to play the odds. We have vacation passes and for some of the trouble markets (ie: DEN, where half the company still seemingly lives), some people will try to pull out a trump card and change their listing...no good.

Also, Segment King noted that non-revs shouldn't wear their IDs...CO encourages employees to do so. Not a formal rule, per se, but sometimes I will, sometimes I won't.

And My Mom and Dad both still ID themselves as non-revs if meal service rolls out.

Buddy pass riders are more problematic than employees, I've found.

mirrodie

Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:58 am

You know, some of you are making hte GA sounds like the anti-christ.

You are all fellow employees. I am sure that if you treat them as you would want to be treated, things would go well.

But this business of "don't question, don't ask, be subhuman"... guys, you're making hte GA's sounds like nurse Ratchet and they are not all like that.  Smile
    Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

CO2BGR

Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:23 am

LTBEWR & AirframeAS & Airmech56,

My Dad while a pilot for COex flew a EWR-BGR flight that he was origionally going to be non-reving on. Dont know what the crew was to bring the plane back to EWR but that was not his problem. It was a new years eve evening flight durring a staff shortage. Yes, working while non-reving does happen.

Buddy pass riders need to realise that their ticket is stand by and not a confirmed seat. I have sen a couple that have gotten quite upset when they did not get on the plane.
    There are too many self indulgent weiners in this town with too much bloody money" Randal Raines- Gone in 60 Seconds

mckennasmall

Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:29 am

One rule I always pride myself is always dress in a tie and shirt. Even On Regional flights because it shows respect to the airline you are flying with.
    Also I see some people right try not to ask for upgrades. I say never ask for upgrades.

Remember you are travelling basically for free so they should try their hardest to accommodate the crew.

DeltaAgent1

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:15 am

Buddy Pass NonRevs are usually more difficult to deal with than most, especially if the employee they got their buddy pass from did not inform them of how they need to act & react.
    Just as a side note, while I work for Delta, I recently got my parents passes on AS. After they were seated on the aircraft in coach, the AS flight attendants invited them to share first class with them. I thought that was an
    extremely nice gesture.

FutureFO

Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:53 am

I think the biggest thing in the Non-Rev world is just anticipate the worst. If you are dressed appropriately then you stand the better chance of getting at least a seat. Also make sure that you are aware of the situation with the flight. But most important of all BE FLEXIBLE. The number one rule is that BE AS FLEXIBLE s possible.

Sean from MCO
    I Don't know where I am anymore

DC9

Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:37 am

Best tip I can give is:

Tell the gate agent you are present at the gate, sit down and SHUT UP until she should happen to call you. Patience is usualy the key.

Going to use this tomorrow from NCE-PAR. Everything seems to be completly full after 1600 but it is worth a shot.

717-200

Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:32 am

A good rule of mine for Buddy pass riders and especially eligible companions is
    you should fly along with the buddy pass or companion on their first NRSA trip
    so they learn the ropes of non-rev travel.
    72S 733 734 735 73G 738 742 752 763 E190 M82 M83

APAOps5

Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:43 am

Have a contingency plan. Know what your options are and have a back-up plan and as FutureFO stated, plan for the worst. When I nonrev and a flight looks close I carry a copy of the times of every other flight on every airline that I can get home on. Sometimes I buy tix on them anyways, so I don't have to waste time. A $30 pass if wasted is still a small price to pay to get home. Final statement, sometimes you lose the non-rev game, it happens, that is why I have a credit card, sometimes you gotta buy your way home. However, you have to still think you are ahead of the game if you only have to buy a rev ticket home once in a while, plus it helps remind you what a beautiful thing non-revving really is.

The Nonrevver is a interesting dynamic character. One day he is flying first class, and by the end of that same day would be happy to ride in the cargo hold if it meant making the next flight. LOL to us all!

swissgabe

Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:12 am

During Non-Rev travel, NEVER think of the advantages you would have had with a paid ticket!
    Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

jayspilot

Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:18 am

I always bring a snack or some food for the FLT attendants and crew when I get a chance on my way to or from work..You meet some great people commuting, thanks guys and gals

LH423

Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:35 am

Like some said, don't act as if us ground agents all have this "God complex" whereby you must bow down to whatever we say. Personally, I prefer staff to fare-paying passengers. Revenue pax, most of the time, could care less that you're there. Maybe it's because staff think you can do something for them, but I've met some genuinely nice NRSA pax who I would do anything for to make their flight a little bit more comfortable. The way I see it is that revenue passengers paid for their seat, we all work for ours. That's why I fully subscribe to giving non-revs upgrades over revenue pax. As the saying goes, "You want a confirmed business/first seat, buy a business/first ticket".

Just be friendly and personable. Getting the agent to relate to you on a personal level always helps. Be "sunny", ask how the agent is doing today, make them like you, if only for that moment (once that flight leaves, you'll be long forgotten). Don't be demanding or make a scene. I was flying non-rev once on another airline with no listing, which meant that the non-revver's cat had more priority than me, and this guy is fuming over why the pass office booked him in a lower priority than he wanted. I'm sitting there thinking "Shut the f*ck up and get on the plane." Remember, while agents control your fate, there are others who would be just as happy to have your seat.

In the end, I don't subscribe to the rule that NRSA travellers are sub-human and need to stay tucked in a dark corner until, by the graces of God, the superhero gate agent calls your name. We're all people and we all have questions. In the end, it all comes down to respect. We do have to be cognizant of the fact that we're flying for peanuts (no pun intended) and that we must be a little bit more flexible. Just show a little respect, and be friendly.

LH423
    « On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

JGPH1A

Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:15 am

I always really enjoyed nonrev travel in the US (on the few occasions I did) - the gate staff would ALWAYS try and get you away, wherever there was a seat going, and they'd always be nice about it, I guess 'cos they see it every day, its just part of the job.

Some European carriers (viz BA) always had the attitude about OA staff priority and making you feel really cheesy for trying to board their oh so wonderful aircraft, and wouldn't ever upgrade no matter what. Most other European carriers were really flexible especially about endorsing and accepting OA tickets (OA meaning Other Airline, not Olympic) - even at FCO on standby for a flight to Greece (you can just imagine the chaos and screaming at the transfer desk (not from me I hasten to add)), it all worked out, and I got away first try. Just smile, show some gratitude for the privilege you are getting (and its a BIG privilege !), and enjoy the trip.
    Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

ba299

Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:39 am

1. Were you crew member badge
    2. Say please and thank you
    3. Inform asap the captain that you are onboard.

I don't see why you are against the ID badge......

Here in BA we have to be immediately recognizable by all the other crew.

ba299

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:03 am

Totally agree with lh432. We are not sub-human

jhooper

Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:04 am

...here are a few more I can think of...

1) Get on last.

2) Get off last.

3) Be as discreet as possible. Other pax don't need to know you're flying for free. There's no reason to wear your badge unless you're in uniform (then it's obvious you work for the company).

4) Make sure you know what standby priority you're supposed to use. The agents don't always know (especially in the case of certain non-employees who still get NRSA passes) and you could be penalized for using the wrong priority.

5) When you get to your connecting city, verify that you've been activated on the standby list for your connecting flight (again, discretely and not while the agent is busy, or if you can use some kind of automated means [i.e. GIDS screens] to check, use that rather than bugging the agent. It's possible the agent forgot to activate your connecting flight; it happens.

6) Use the kiosks if you're able. Don't make paying passengers wait to see an agent if you're able to use the kiosk.

7) Leave the agents alone and let them do their work. If a seat opens up, they'll call you.

8) Don't even THINK about going NEAR the airline's premium lounge!

9) Don't leave the gate area until the plane pushes back. You never know if a seat might open up at the last second.

An-225

Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:30 am

I don't wear my badge outside when I non-rev, I tuck it in, but I have to have it - that's your way out of employee parking here in Denver. I am always dressed up. When I approach the ticket counter, I always smile, hand them the paperwork, and then I ask "and if possible, may I please have a window seat?" Hasn't failed me ONCE.

Alex.
    Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

ba299

Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:23 am

I think that we are talking about a non problem thing. When I travel to Italy or to visit my parents in EDI I travel as all the other passengers. I have kill nobody so I travel as I want. BA Want that we were our badge even when we fly non-rev. Take it easy it's just a flight not a diplomatic visit.