chuckles1225

Pilot Com. Plane Radio Station

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:39 am

I am wondering if any airlines still have one of the radio channels offered when you plug head phones in to your arm rest being the pilot's communication on the radio with ATC? About 5 or 6 years ago I flew United a number of times and I always enjoyed listening the pilots talking to ATC and other a/c. Now I have been flying Delta and there is no such radio channel offered. I don't know if United still offers it or even if Delta used to and quit so would someone tell me what airlines do still offer this radio channel, if any? I was wondering if maybe the airlines stopped using that channel after 911 or something?
ask not what your pilot can do for you, ask what you can do for your pilot

AlitaliaORD

RE: Pilot Com. Plane Radio Station

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:41 am

the service is unique only to United
Joy To The World, All The Boys and Girls, Joy to the Fishes in the Deep Blue Sea, Joy to You and Me

ua935

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:48 am

Channel 9, still available on United.
Live every second like you mean it

chuckles1225

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:51 am

alright thnks ill have to fly united again

jhooper

Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:36 am

I was listening to Channel 9 yesterday until about 1/4 through the trip, the purser called the cockpit and say "the passengers can hear everything we're talking about on Channel 9, please turn it off", and that was the end of Channel 9 for my flight.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

iluv727s

Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:07 am

Does anyone know the frequency of channel 9? I'd love to listen to it at home with all the transient A/C above DFW.
A lack of planning on your behalf does not create an emergency on my behalf.

rthrbeflying86

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:13 am

Does anyone know the frequency of channel 9? I'd love to listen to it at home with all the transient A/C above DFW

I don't think it's acutally on a com frequency, just that the airplane's radio's speaker plays simulatneously on the pilots' headsets as well as on channel 9.

Dan
I'd rather be flying.

RareBear

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:17 am

The frequency varies, depending on where the plane is. Channel 9 is playing whatever the crew is transmitting / receiving on the VHF communications radios. Could be tower, ground, clearance delivery, company communications, etc.
Illegitimus non carborundum

SpeedbirdHeavy

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:25 am

"the passengers can hear everything we're talking about on Channel 9, please turn it off", and that was the end of Channel 9 for my flight.

What a strange comment. Of course they can hear everything. That's what it's there for.....
China Airlines...Come fry with us!

jhooper

Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:12 am

What a strange comment. Of course they can hear everything. That's what it's there for.....

Well, it was my first time flying UA so it was my first time to experience Channel 9. After this comment was made, I didn't hear anything else on Ch. 9 so I asked the F/A about it. She said that there was a malfunction.

I know Ch. 9 is supposed to let you listen to ATC, but I'm not sure that it's supposed to be able to let you listen to interphone conversations between the cabin crew and cockpit, for obviously understandable reasons. I'm guessing that was the "malfunction".
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

chuckles1225

Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:35 am

"the passengers can hear everything we're talking about on Channel 9, please turn it off", and that was the end of Channel 9 for my flight.

So do the pilot's have a switch up on the flight deck that they can control the radio stations passengers are listening to?

JBirdAV8r

Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:41 am

So do the pilot's have a switch up on the flight deck that they can control the radio stations passengers are listening to?

The different channels are actually equivalent to "mix tapes"....they are not radio stations.

But yes, UA flight crews can switch on/off Channel 9 at their discretion.

As a side note..
On many Airfone-equipped aircraft there is also a master telephone switch in the cockpit that allows the entire system to be turned off...very helpful in a "tense situation"  Big grin
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet