NWAA330
Topic Author

Singapore Girl-overhyped?

Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:54 pm

We all know how much the world renowned "Singapore Girl" cabin crew are promoted and advertised. They are recognised by many to be a symbol of what inflight service should be and set the standards for others to follow. I'll leave my personal opinion out as I have not flown SQ in awhile, but my question is why are they ranked so low in the skytrax worldwide ranking (one of the most respected airline surveys) They are ranked 9th in cabin staff and not even the top 5 in Asia. What does everyone think? Are they overhyped?

http://www.airlinequality.com/main/vote_staff_1-04.htm

Regards,

NWAA330
To Fly is to Live.

Spike

RE: Singapore Girl-overhyped?

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:23 pm

I flew SQ last month from Singapore to Beijing overnight, and would rate it as one of the least enjoyable services I've had. Old 777, bad service, and lack of snacks. As for Kris World, 27 channels of crap to choose from.

MaverickM11

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:42 pm

Of course not! What else are you going to talk about? What other flight attendant is so famous? The Northwest Broad? The Delta Senior? The Air France B!tch? The Air India Gee-You-Smell-Like-Curry Gal?
E pur si muove -Galileo

TG992

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:45 pm

"Old 777" - heh.

-

ual777contrail

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:46 pm

If you believe the skytraCK crap then you would believe that TOWERAIR is still an airline and a 3 star airline, UAL was only ranked as a three star? Like tower air? PLLLLLEEEAAAASSSSEEE!!!!

AA is A 2 star?

UAL 777 CONTRAIL

Spike

Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:56 pm

Best flight attendants (air hostesses more) are Vietnam Airlines and Air Macau. Yummy.

bigb

Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:41 pm

Hooters Air have some nice FAs
ETSN Baber, USN

keno

Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:57 pm

In my humble opinion the product delivered by SQ is overrated (I'm not saying it's not good). Skytrax has already shown that Malaysia Airlines F/A are the world's best for 3 years running and people still kept saying that SQ is the best. The recent ranking placed SQ at number #9.

All goes to show that SQ marketing strategy has won over the minds of consumers which makes them think against Skytrax statistics.

MAS777

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:34 pm

Singapore Girl should perhaps work for the 'World's Favourite Airline' - its all a marketing ploy.

Service with Malaysia Airlines is still very much underrated and even coming from a family with many ex-Singapore girls - we all continue to fly Malaysian whenever we can as the service there is simply excellent and above all - genuinely friendly... but hey that's just our opinion and I'm sure many SQ fans would disagree.

Cessna172RG

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:40 pm

I thought about staying out of this topic...

I flew Singapore in June of 03 from LAX to NRT, and then in September of 03 on my way back to LAX (to catch an AS flight back up to Seattle to get home). I have flown US Airways, Northwest, Continental, JAL, ANA, Alaska, Air Canada, and several others. The BEST service that I ever had was on Singapore. And you're talking to a Silver Elite NWA cardholder, because I have flown Northwest almost too much. Regardless to what you experienced, mine was wonderful. Quite enough drinks, ice cream on board, and very friendly service by the flight crew. Those Singapore girls are tops on my list, and I'm not taking looks into consideration. Servicewide, they're the best, in my opinion.

I only wish I could have taken them a month ago on my way back for another stint in Japan...oh well. Maybe next time.
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

TBCITDG

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:47 pm

The common 'issue' that I hear most passengers have with the 'Singapore Girl' is their robotic way of service. They are so used to following procedures step by step, that it really throws them off a bit if you do not go with their flow.

The other thing that I mean with robotic service is that you cannot (as a passenger) joke/chat with them.

Treg

Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:15 pm

Don't know about other Asian carriers, but I have flown with very many European and US carriers. And despite the fact, that my latest flight CPH-SIN-PER (with SQ) was the longest intercontinental flight I have ever taken, it was still the most enjoyable. They had very personal approach. They were polite. The smile never disappeared. A friend of mine was sick and they did everything to make him feel more comfortable. Maybe really Malaysian and other Asian carriers are better, but European and US carriers have still long way to go... Just IMHO

Gert

Ryanair!!!

Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:17 pm

The other thing that I mean with robotic service is that you cannot (as a passenger) joke/chat with them.

My Goodness! SQ Girls were the best following the airline's formation in 1972 right up to the mid-80s => early 90s. That was when it started to go downhill when no one else wanted to be an SQ Girl and staff morale started to falter (it continues till this day).

Service was of really stellar quality in the good old days and couple that with the successful marketing strategy of the iconic stewardess, you had the formula of the world's most successful airline. No secret that the rejection rate was 90% or more because they only let the best of the best through the course.

While it is not easy being a flight attendant, some of the SQ Girls we have on board today is just an embarrassing representation of my country. The leads and the supervisors who were recruited in the early days still provide very professional service in my opinion, but the junior ones.... well, they might as well go hang out in the shopping mall. Some of them cannot even piece together a proper sentence in English, or even worse, they speak in a confusing mid-Atlantic accent that no one can put a finger on. Good grief...

Welcome to my starry one world alliance, a team in the sky!

Singapore 777

Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:26 pm

That you cannot joke/chat with them is not true for everybody. I have had very cheerful and chatty crew as well as grumpy and sullen ones on all my SQ flights.

Just thought I'd let everybody know.

Ryanair!!!

Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:35 pm

With that said, I have to add that there are still some excellent cabin crew flying with SQ today. I will fly them on 13 March to Jakarta so I shall see how that will turn out.

ben

Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:39 pm

My opinions:

The Singapore Airlines product is very good.

It is also massively over hyped.

The 'Singapore Girl' part of the image is the most over hyped and over rated part.

SQ stewardesses, in my experience, are as thick as 2 short planks. Best to just let them get on with what they do best, say 'Chicken' or 'Beef' when they smile at you, and reach out to get an OJ or water every hour or so during the overnight flights. Don't try to tax them too much.

I have a long standing beef with some Asian carriers who employ and train cabin crew to be diminutive, submissive, agreeable and leaning too far towards the service side of their jobs. That's just fine most of the time. Wait to see what happens when they have to deal with some sort of inflight emergency whether it's air-rage or otherwise... not much use I'm afraid.

SingaporeFA

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:35 am

Ryanair!!!am i one of them??heheheh....

SingaporeFA

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:43 am

I am wondering how many of you actually take the time to have a chat with the crew?Most are more interested in the IFE and dont even look at the crew when offered something.
But i do agree...the Singapore Girl is very very much overhyped these days.Thats why in the last few years...you dont really see much emphasis of the Singapore Girl in their ads.lately they have been advertising Krisworld...and their long haul flights.
During the 70s and early 80s...all their ads focused on the Singapore Girl(in different parts of the world).
So..its all a marketing ploy.Kinda old and tired one ..if you ask me.

DeltaBorn

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:43 am

Is there such a thing as an "Old 777"?

caetravlr

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:11 am

I agree that it depends as much on the individual F/A as an overall culture. I have had some friendly, and some not so friendly F/As on every different airline I have flown. In fact, I have only flown two segments on SQ, one from BKK-SIN, and another from SIN-CDG. On the two hour flight from BKK-SIN, the F/A was really interactive and chatty. At the end of the flight, I asked her to take a picture with me, and she was more than happy to oblige. She actually asked if she was going to get a copy, but in the moment I forgot to ask if she wanted me to email it to her or whatever. Wish I had been thinking a little more clearly. Anyway, I have this picture up at my desk, and it is a daily reminder of that great flight. On my flight from SIN-CDG, it was a bit different. This may have had something to do with being a late night flight as well. The service was still excellent of course, but she didn't chat with me at all, even though I tried to ask a couple of questions that would normally incite a conversation. No problem, she just had other work to do.

I don't think they are overhyped. I very much enjoyed my experiences in SIN and onboard the SQ flights.

Just my opinion.

CAETravlr
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

Greg

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:23 am

"The Stepford Stews"
Pretty as heck.....dumb as stumps. Can't even hold a conversation...let alone your interest.

Oddly, this applies only to the females...the few male attendants in Raffles have been very well versed. Possibly someone can explain that?

Prinair

Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:56 am

Definitively overrated. The Singapore Girl advertising concept was great but now it is old. Also, the uniforms are nice but an old tired concept by now.

PRINAIR : Puerto Rico International Airlines

MAS777

Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:09 am

About taxing the Singapore Girl - as I mentioned - a few members of my family flew as Singapore Girls and they all hated it. Often the morale amongst fellow crew members was poor - with seniors 'bullying' younger crew members - so perhaps this is a possible reason why many younger crew members keep rather quiet during flights for fear of senior crew members having a go once back in the galley.

My cousin (the last to leave SQ) did so as she found most of her seniors impossible to work with - citing that they were there to serve and not question (or chat) with passengers. A final straw came when she served a rather famous celebrity who offered her tickets to a concert - on returning to the galley - her senior 'confiscated' them stating that she was not allowed to accept gifts from passengers. She quit and went on to have a lovely time flying with Malaysian - chatterbox and all - until recently!

RiverVisualNYC

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:00 am

I rather prefer the Emirates girls, the Virgin non-virgins and the Gulf Air trolly dollies myself, but not being a Sheikh or pilot, I have no chance!

shankly

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:10 am

A couple of months ago flew SQ Raffles LHR-SIN-SGN then HAN-SIN-LHR

Great planes, great service, great girls (& boys). As spike notes, the only weak link is Kris World which should be re-named Krap World

"Singapore Girls...A Great Way to Fly!"
L1011 - P F M

Ryanair!!!

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:06 pm

Ryanair!!!am i one of them??heheheh....

Err.... Darling, do you look like this?  Smile

NeptunesCar

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:19 pm

Ive always been able to chat with SQ crews, they are always willing to talk, especially on long boring Transpac flights....with over 100 sectors in all three classes onboard SQ, I still rank them far and away better than any other airline. Im really tired of people saying an airlines service is good or bad based on 1 flight, every airlines got on and off days!
You call it the world, we call it home. Pan Am.

caetravlr

Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:01 pm

Actually the F/A that was working my cabin on my SIN-CDG flight looked a lot like the girl in the picture above.

The guy seated next to me asked the F/A for a timetable, and I asked her to bring me one while she was at it. When she brought it, I looked at the picture on the front, and said "Is that you?". She may be paid to be friendly, but she got a good laugh out of it, and then turned it over and showed me the picture on the back and said "No, but she looks a lot like me." I think anyone will chat with you if you are friendly and outgoing. If you bury yourself in your laptop or your book or your movie, then they are going to be polite and assume that you don't want to be bothered.

I would love to go back to SIN again soon...
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

AFheart

Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:25 pm

It's all about the marketing. Very little to do with the service..I saw a short report on CNN last year celebrating their anniversary. They mentioned they must speak 5 or 7 languages at least. Does anyone know if that is true?
I'd have to agree with MaverickM11 on the "Air France Bitch"...sad but true.

[Edited 2004-02-27 15:31:20]
////AF C'EST MA VIE\\

keno

Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:36 pm

AFheart,
I doubt very much you could find an SQ girl who can speak 5-7 languages, unless what they mean by 5-7 is the total number of languages the total crew in most planes speaks which is also hard to take in. What they also mean is probably various Chinese dialects like Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, Foochew, Hakka, Teochew - all can actually be considered as separate languages on their own right.

I'm not critising SQ girls in any way - most F/A in the whole world could only speak at most 2-3 languages (less in the US). European F/A's like the Swiss & Scandinavians are probably the most multilingual you could find.

[Edited 2004-02-27 15:39:30]

SingaporeFA

Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:25 am

Ryanair!!no...she`s probably airbrushed to hell..or computer generated....

StarG

Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:47 am

"I flew SQ last month from Singapore to Beijing overnight, and would rate it as one of the least enjoyable services I've had. Old 777, bad service, and lack of snacks. As for Kris World, 27 channels of crap to choose from."

And the next best alternative is?
Saying 777s old (even the oldest one which was born in 1997) is I think expecting too much.
27 channels of crap?  Yeah sure

StarG

StarG

Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:01 am

My opinion:
As much as they are over-hyped, SQ still offers the best and most consistent services around.

StarG

caetravlr

Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:57 am

Ryanair, I am guessing that if that picture was of SingaporeFA, they would have to airbrush the hell out of it, considering he is male!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Sorry, just couldn't resist....

HNLFlyBoy

Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:10 am

While the Singapore Girl may be a slightly overhyper marketing vehicle, are we all forgetting the first and foremost reason why flight attendants are aboard the aircraft we fly? To serve us? NOT. You know that line we all hear during the safety video..."in the unlikely event of an emergency..."? That's what they are there for. Despite what others might think, they are actually highly trained inviduals in many aspects with safety and customer service skills being at the top. Could you clear a full 747 of pax in under a minute in the event of an emergency?

Personally, I think the fact that they serve you a meal and get you a drink is only secondary, but well appreciated, at least by myself. Oh and BTW, as a matter of fact, I do pay attention to the safety video/demo when I fly...

caetravlr

Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:23 am

NHLFlyboy,

I don't personally think that anyone on here would disagree with you. However, airlines do use their service as part of their marketing, especially so airlines like SQ. Safety is always first and foremost, and we all know that they go through hours of training, and then periodic recurrent training as well to be able to ensure our safety. However, even an employee of SQ was participating in this discussion also. So, while we may not be discussing the safety factors involved, I don't think we have actually "forgotten" that it is critical.

Maybe someone wants to start a thread about the safest airline with the best cabin crew training?

Just my 2 cents,
CAETravlr

Spike

Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:35 am

StarG: from Spike.

The question is simply, is Singapore Airlines over hyped? My answer is - Yes.
The only one that is 'true' in advertising terms is VN.
US Majors need to stop operating an Air Bus service in a 'plane. BA needs to stop in-flight harrasment. Airlines are saving (LCC) millions in economy class even before the advent of low-cost toilets.

Oh bring me back a 707-320C.

Greg

Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:46 pm

Actually, HNLFlyBoy you are very wrong in your statement concerning SQ.
They put at least 22 F/A's on their aircraft for service, not for safety.

I believe the correct complement for safety is 12---one for each door on a -400.

The expense of the the add'l 10 on each transpacific flight--if just for safety reasons---would be ridiculous.

nethkt

Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:06 pm

Singapore airlines is sure overhyped. They use all kind of advertisement and stuffs to promote themselves.

However, their service is just great. Second to none!!!

Those who said that their IFE is crap are problaly old people  Smile who find reading is thier hobby!! Go read...grandpa!!!  Big grin
Let's just blame it on yields.

changyou

Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:24 pm

I wonder what airline in the world have better IFE than SQ? I think their IFE is the best and no doubt the service is far better than many airlines. I'm a FA with SQ and I know we really go all the way to provide safety and comfort for passengers who fly with us. If you have been flying with us lately...I'm sure you would have notice we really emphasise on inflight safety and security without neglecting the service. I've flown quite a number of asian carriers and still find SQ the best. I'm not being bias here...Take MH for e.g...They really need an upgrade in their F/J seats as well as the IFE. Their crew, much being said "The best" can't even converse well and have little knowledge of their product.(I have friends flying for MH-Widebody and they agreed to that). I do agree that nowadays SQ girls are overhyped but they still deliver aren't they? I suggest to those who thinks the crew are unfriendly...Try striking a conversation with them. We are not as bad like some of you mentioned here.

je89_w
Crew

Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:10 pm

I really never noticed the quality of the SQ FAs when I flew with them in the past, but will pay more closer attention when I fly SQ in the future. I did like their KrisWorld program though!

qantasboy

Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:21 pm

Bullsh!t! I have flown almost all the airlines in that survey, and heres my 0.02.

1. Singapore Airlines
2. Emirates Airlines
3. Thai International
4. Cathay Pacific
5. jetBlue
6. China Airlines (CI)
7. Malaysia Airlines
8. Virgin Atlantic
9. Gulf Air
10. Qantas Airways
eql 10. United Airlines

Although the service of Malaysia is underrated, it it not yet up to par of the service of SQ or EK. Admittedly, 1 in 5 MH Attendents are ex SQ Singapore Girls, but this still does not give them the title. Ive flown SQ SYD-SIN, SIN-CDG, LHR-SIN, SIN-SYD, SIN-ZRH, AMS-SIN and etc, and MH SYD-KUL, KUL-ZAG, LHR-KUL etc, and I think that the SQ Attendent is superior. I also think the service of Emirates is good, but if you have a Sydney based crew they are all snotty b!itches, similar to the Calibre of BA. The Dubai/Muscat/Sharjah/London based crews that work for EK are uncomparable.

MM

SR 103

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:03 am

Qantasboy,

Bullsh!t!

Everyone can have their own opinion, I don't see the need to say things like that just because you don't agree with them. Next time you are refused a menu and have a vegetarian tray slapped in front of you simply because of your "ethnic" looks, you come and tell us exactly how you feel. Till then, eveyone is entitled to their own opinion.

SR 103

HNLFlyBoy

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:11 am

Greg,

A cabin crew of 22 on a 744 transpac? Isn't that kinda ridiculous? An additional 10 just for service reasons? Out of curiousity to you know, by class F-J-Y, what the f/a to pax ratio is? It would be interesting to know this. Where do 22 f/a's sit? I know that some doors have j/seats for two.

Anybody know what some of the other airlines crew transpac?

Aerosvit

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:16 am

In my days of travel, I've experienced UAL's flight attendants to be very nice. On occasion, LOT has nice ones but only if they are new or something. The senior flight attendants are...very horrible is the right term.
Clava Ykraini

sq_pilot

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:18 am

1 in 5 MH Attendents are ex SQ Singapore Girls

Yeah sure Yea right. Why would someone, with good monthly salary, above the region average, earn double than your rival, quit his or her current job for underpaid career? FYI, it’s another way round. Where did u get your info?

HNLFlyBoy

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:22 am

Sq_pilot,

can you verify 22 f/a's on a 744 transpac, 12 for doors and 10 service? I just can't believe an airline would crew 22 f/a's on a 744.

ryanb741

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:26 am

Well from my experiance the SQ cabin service is among the best, but by creating the phenomenon known as 'Singapore Girl' SQ have put their attendants on a pedestal above all other carriers, which is unjustified as other carriers have equally good cabin crew. Also, it is just a little bit unfair on the male SQ cabin crew who are somewhat less feted, and it also has certain sexual connotations as if the SQ is a beautiful, subservient woman whose role is to make pax happy (aimed at males anyone - hmmm).
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

sq_pilot

Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:32 am

HNLFlyboy,

Basically, in most countries:-

1) 1 FA for every 50 Pax seats regardless of pax numbers
(e.g. aircraft with 386/383/375/ seats = 7 FA's or 66 seats = 2 FA's)

2) 1 FA per occupied compartment
(744 has 2 compartments Upper and Lower Deck)

3) Enough FA to carry out emergency procedures for that aircraft
(744 has 12 doors so the minimum crew is 12)

4) Specified by the certified design criteria of the aircraft
(e.g. if boeing say we really need 12 or 13 crews on a 744 then by law we are required to do so)

Cabin crews are highly trained for BOTH safety issue and customer service. Having an additional 10 or more cabin crews for a service is just ridiculous, especially during the cost-cutting period.  Yeah sure

A cabin crew of (at least) 12 to 16 for will do on a 744 long-haul flight by most airlines even for the special or  Wow! overrated one.

Greg

Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:53 am

You proved my point, because, other than relief attendants, there is no need for 20+ cabin crew for safety.

European carriers fly with considerable less....over relatively the same distances (west coast to europe). In fact, I find LH and BA to actually run a bit 'lean' on attendants (maybe you can send some their way?)