spk

Thai Cuts LAX, Boost NRT Frequency

Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:47 pm

Thai Airways announced today that they will suspend TG772 BKK-NRT-LAX service leaving only TG774 BKK-KIX-LAX, reducing frequency to LAX from 7 to 4 weekly.

In the same announcement, THAI will boost the frequency to NRT from 18 weekly to 21 weekly (3 daily flights). The changes in schedule is to match the capacity with the travel demand. THAI is currenly losing approximately $15 million a year on their LAX service.

This seems to make sense to me. Everytime I flew TG772 the aircraft is packed on BKK-NRT sector and very empty on NRT-LAX sector.

nethkt

RE: Thai Cuts LAX, Boost NRT Frequency

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:26 pm

Too bad!! I don't want TG to reduce NRT-LAX  Sad 4 Hope they will resume soon!!
Let's just blame it on yields.

behramjee

Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:30 pm

Smart move as there is very intense competition on the NRT-LAX route than on the KIX-LAX route...how about replacing the NRT-LAX flight by doing ICN-LAX or TPE-LAX instead???

thaigold

Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:12 pm

I guess they will introduce a direct BKK-LAX route when they get their 340-500's in 2005/06....
Dunbar Rovers forever

rjpieces

Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:19 pm

Any word on when flights to JFK might start?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

keno

Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:21 pm

Does TG have any kind of agreement with UA to feed their passengers at NRT bound for LAX/SFO/ORD/JFK? If that's the case, scrapping off NRT-LAX and increasing BKK-NRT would make sense.

spk

Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:16 am

TG772 will be re-numbered to TG676 operated daily by Boeing 747-400 aircraft. Departure from Bangkok is 7.35am arriving at Narita at 3.45pm. The departure and arrival time is pretty close to UA838.

Hope THAI can get agreement to feed passengers to UA because UA838 is mostly sold out so there is huge demand to supplement the capacity from BKK-NRT-USA cities within Star Alliance network and the timing of TG676 is perfect for such purpose.

BKK-NRT-LAX: TG676->UA890
BKK-NRT-ORD: TG676->UA882
BKK-NRT-SFO: TG676->UA852
BKK-NRT-JFK: TG676->UA800
BKK-NRT-SEA: TG676->UA876

The777Man

Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:42 am

Thai already tried routing their flight thru SEL a few years ago and it didn't seem to work since they switched back to go thru Japan again. Perhaps a daily flight thru KIX would work better? I'm surprised that TG can't fill the plane LAX-NRT/KIX-BKK. UA is full most of the time.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

PA110

Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:06 am

TG cuts LAX frequency just about every other year. The reason they lose so much money on the LAX flight is because their U.S. Sales management is completely inept. LAX seems to be the dumping ground for problem children of the Thai Air Force generals who run (or heavily influence) TG. They don't want their lazy brats hanging around headquarters in BKK, so they pack them off to the US where they can do the least amount of damage. But, unfortunately, they kill our market. I haven't met a bright spark in TG sales since 1989. The last moron they sent out as U.S. Sales Manager spent his sales calls presenting a pocket calendar he designed. He barely spoke english and had absolutely no clue how to sell TG. Unfortunately, TG always goes for the easiest sale... the thai ethnic market in LAX. Because of this, their yields are alway crap. There is huge demand for travel to Thailand. Try to get space on CX, UA or NW... those flights are almost always full. If TG could ever get past the cronyism that has prevented the truly talented staff from rising to the top, it would be an absolutely fantastic airline.

But that's just my opinion.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

Shilla

Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:09 am

The loads on the BKK-NRT route will be even higher now that Egypt Air has cancelled its flights via BKK.

terminalc

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:43 am

TG isn't a first or second choice carrier across the Pacific.
I used to fly TG LAX-BKK-SGN many times each year. But NW has a far superior C class at the same prices with a far better FF program.

ConcordeBoy

Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:48 am

Makes ya wonder what use TG has for A345s if they cannot even make LAX work daily 1stop.....  Big grin
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

airzim

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:37 am

Actually its an aircraft issue.

They were expecting some 744's from UA that never came. They had already announced service to MXP and with no planes they had to pull from somewhere. We are likely to see return of daily LA once they get some new airplanes. However it is true that LA is a money losing route, they like many other carriers, just want presence.

EddieDude

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:52 am

I really look forward to TG getting A345's and starting non-stop BKK-LAX service. It will be awesome.
Next flights: MEX-LAX AM 738, LAX-PVG DL 77L, SHA-PEK CA 789, PEK-PVG CA A332, PVG-ORD MU 77W, ORD-MEX AM 738

behramjee

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:56 am

Thai's F-J and Y class product on B 744s and B 772s are 3 stars at the most if you ask me !!!

None of the long haul aircraft have tv in every seat plus their seat pitch in J class is only 48-52 inches in the B 744s and B 772s which is outrageous considering that the industry standard since quite some time ago was 60+ with a 160 degree whereas TGs is 130!!!

TGs target mkt in LAX should be the ethnic Thais-the Indo-Pak-Bang community-the Indonesians and the Malaysians as they have a strong presence in these markets.

PA110

Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:56 am

Awesome, yes. Profitable, doubtful. Unless TG decides to actually get a sales force that is interested in capturing more than just the LAX ethnic Thai market, they will be doomed to low yields and will eventually pull the service.

spk

Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:24 am

Aircraft issue is one cause but actually this has nothing to do with the introduction of the service to MXP. MXP runs are done using Boeing 747-300's which are pulled from BKK-FCO runs which get reduced from daily to 5x weekly. THAI simply aren't making money NRT-LAX and thus they see better use of their 744 elsewhere such as increasing frequency of BKK-NRT to 3 daily which is expected to increase the profit by $25 million each year.

With the direct competition like UA which now sends UA838 from BKK-NRT-LAX, TG must fight hard to lure premium passengers (especially ex-NRT). TG772 and UA838 are leaving almost at the same time, running the same route, but UA has got a much better premium product. Other competitors like NW also offer greater premium product.

THAI's new A340-500 will be equipped with a competitive product in Business and premium economy class and will be equipped with AVOD PTV in all classes. If they send competent people to run the US sales office then the BKK-LAX non-stop service could be successful. I myself still think BKK-ORD or BKK-JFK non-stops are making better sense than BKK-LAX but that's just IMHO.

PA110

Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:42 am

Spk,
Good to get your input. While lack of a competitive premium product is the current dilemma, the consistant lack of competent sales management in the USA is what has traditionally plagued TG's success. Back before TG closed all the regional sales offices, there were some very talented sales staff, but over time they all got fed up and quit because of the political appointees controlling the region. I've met with both the local managers and some of their bosses. The sad fact is the senior VP's would never have been hired as clerical staff let alone a country sales manager had they not obtained their position from political/family cronyism. It is appalling that TG headquarters continues to allow this nonsense to continue. TG has squandered decades of potential North American profit due to the complete incompetence of those they send to head the region.

Behramjee, going after the ethnic market is fine but it doesn't produce the high yield sales that make the route profitable. There is a huge general tour market that would support considerably higher fares than the ethnic market will pay. This market has been teased by years of promises by successive TG managers only to be abandoned in favor of the "no effort" lower yield ethnic sales. This is really a shame, since the revenue potential still remains, and continues to be squandered.

legacyins

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:19 am

Spk:

United Airlines 838 is BKK-NRT-SFO.

thaiaggie

Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:27 am

I wish they come back to DFW.
Barrow, Alaska in Feb. It was Cold!

THAIlover

Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:43 am

That's too bad that we will not see THAI in America for a while. However, I would love to see THAI to JFK and other big cities like ORD. I hope the management take a close look for potential growing in America.
Getting my feet on the rudders and hands on YOKE!!!

ConcordeBoy

Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:50 am

That's too bad that we will not see THAI in America for a while

TG will continue to serve America, albeit with fewer than daily frequency.

I really look forward to TG getting A345's and starting non-stop BKK-LAX service. It will be awesome.

One wonders how TG would do on an untested C-market nonstop, when they can't even produce the necessary yields using a 5th Freedom tech stop.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

spk

Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:23 pm

Oops, got it wrong about UA838. Thanks for the correction.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos