jeffrey1970

Flights From USA To Libya

Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:30 am

Now that the US government has lifted the travel ban to Libya (Yahoo News 2/26/04) I wonder what airline will be the best way to travel to Tripoli from the US. I have heard that Libya is a very beautiful country.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

JGPH1A

RE: Flights From USA To Libya

Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:39 am

BA serve TIP daily from LHR (a mainline route, not even GB Airways)
SR serve TIP (3 days a week) and BEN (2 days a week) from ZRH
AZ serve TIP from FCO and MXP (3 or 4 days week from each)
KL serve TIP from AMS (3 days a week)
OS serve TIP from VIE (3 days a week)
LH serve TIP from FRA (2 or 3 days a week)

There are spectacular Roman remains in Libya, some of the best preserved (and in some cases, reconstructed) sites in the world - I'd love to go.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

jeffrey1970

Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:44 am

Since Tripoli is a very important place for the oil industry, I wonder what airlines will set up flights (code-share or direct) from Dallas and/or Houston.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

PA110

Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:54 am

Jeff,
There already exist connections from DFW and IAH using BA/LH/KL. Given that major alliances are represented in this service, I think the business market will be well covered (for now). My guess is not to look for direct US carrier service to Libya because, like Angola, oil execs will mostly likely be using private charters.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

VCE

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:04 pm

Libya is actually a really beautiful country. For several years the Italians were banned to visit Libya, after the Colonel Khadafi took over the country in the '60s.. and he expelled all the Italian citizen, even the hundred of thousands of Italians who born in Libya when it was part of the Italian Kingdom. Since the half of the '90s, the relations turned and Alitalia started again to serve Tripoli from Milan MXP and Rome FCO.

cedarjet

Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:07 pm

I don't think anyone will ever serve this route direct. British Caledonian used to offer excellent connections between their Dallas and Houston flights (DC10) and their Tripoli flights (BAC111, A310). Add in their Scottish and Saudi services, and you see they really were the ultimate oilman's airline
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

swissgabe

Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:04 am

JGPH1A
SR is since 01 LX.

Libya is really a great place to visit and I hope I can visit it again soon ...
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

JGPH1A

Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:06 am

Swissgabe - sorry ! Force d'habitude... for me LX is Crossair, SR is Swiss(air). Some things are just fossilised in the brain.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

avt007

Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:19 am

There won`t be any direct service for a longtime. Not until and if large numbers of US oil workers are there. Don`t forget that UK and Canadians amongst others have run their oil industry for decades, so it`s not like a whole new market opening up. As for Libya being a beautiful place, I just don`t get it. The Libya I work in is the most desolate, empty bit of real estate around. The coast can be pretty, but Tripoli is literally covered in garbage, lying everywhere you go. The Roman ruins I`ve heard are great, but don`t expect some Mediterranean paradise. As for the desert, it is thousands of square kilometers of nothing. Sand, rocks, and oil camps. Thats it. I admit I haven`t been to Benghazi or the Green mountains yet, but I have my doubts about it as well. We are talking about the same Libya, aren`t we?  Big grin

cedarjet

Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:39 am

Avt007, your description sounds pretty plausible. It's not exactly Lebanon, is it?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

avt007

Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:51 am

Cedarjet-I suspect there`s a difference between working somewhere, and going on a vacation there. I`ve never been to Lebanon, so I can`t offer a comparison. The attitude of the Libyans I`ve talked to is strangely schizophrenic- on the one hand they`re pissed off about Iraq, yet they`re as happy as can be about the prospect of US oil companies coming back to Libya. Doesn`t make sense to me........

airmale

Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:29 pm

I find barren desert locales like North Africa have their own charm, just as do the lush green highlands of Scotland.

Air Malta (KM) also fly there.
.....up there with the best!

keno

Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:42 pm

Is it probable that we'd see a direct flight to Iraq first before Libya?

lmml 14/32

Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:56 pm

Air Malta (KM) operates more flights to Libya than any other airline. Of course, flights originate and end in Malta (MLA). Unfortunately KM does not fly to the US. But you can get a thru fare from JFK to MLA thru LON (VS/KM), spend a few relaxing days in MLA then proceed to TIP. MLA is very rich in history and beautiful sights. Of course, it is not the cheapest way to fly to TIP but if you like mixing business with pleasure this is a suggestion.

http://www.visitmalta.com

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos