Insurance For FF Miles

Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:16 pm

This topic has probably been discussed in the past, but I couldn't find it in a search. I have a good many miles in several airlines, none of which are in terribly good financial shape. Should one of these go under (God forbid) I'd hate to loose these miles.

Isn't there some sort of insurance that would cover my FF miles in case the worst happens? Are there any hotel programs where I can exchange FF miles into the hotel program and then move them to another airline?

Flying Colors Forever!

RE: Insurance For FF Miles

Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:58 am

FF miles are not "insurable" property, but if a carrier goes under, there is a chance that a hotel, other airline, or rental car company will allow you to convert all or a portion of them. I seriously doubt, however, that you could get some sort of contract now that guarantees that. Airlines have complete license to change their FF programs at will, without compensation to the passenger. Don't expect to get anything, but it is a possibility.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

RE: Insurance For FF Miles

Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:34 am

There is a program called Awardguard, which is a a product designed to protect members' awards in the event of a frequent traveler program bankruptcy. The policies are backed by LLoyd's of London. You become a member of the PrivilegeFlyer program, and awardguard is one of the benefits.

Check out the following sites: or

However, I just found out that they recently temporarily suspended the award guard benefits for PrivilegeFlyer members, because they're trying to iron out some details with LLoyd's.