717-200
Topic Author

ATA Employees Only Worth Y Class

Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:12 am

Quoted from ATA's press release regarding their new business class product.
Unlike most airlines, ATA employees will not have access to Business Class accommodations. Mikelsons noted, "This policy further demonstrates how ATA is an 'honestly different' airline."

If you are an ATA employee how does this make you feel, especially since this
was put into a press release to the public! I understand the customer focus,
but couldn't this policy have been released on an internal level only?
72S 733 734 735 73G 738 742 752 763 E190 M82 M83

Boeing757/767

RE: ATA Employees Only Worth Y Class

Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:16 am

I agree on that one -- nothing wrong with the policy, but it's not something to be released publicly. It's like saying, 'Don't worry, we won't let the riff-raff in.'
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

Midway2AirTran

Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:24 am

I must agree that this release is disrespectful to the employees!! When I read it for the first time, my jaw dropped at those quotes. I was angered that they would say that in a public release! I guess they have a PR department and I can not believe that anyone would let that go! Dam'n, I took offense to it and I'm not even an ATA employee. Nothing wrong with the policy itself, but to go public and say that your employees could be an inconvenience to its passengers sounds wrong to me! Any ATA employees out there to respond? Any word of reaction internally about the release? At least they are honestly different about their employees.

Cheers!!! Smile
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

FedExIndy

Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:26 am

I used to be an ATA employee. About par for the course.

HPA318

Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:12 am

So this means that if youre flying standby on yur own airline and coach is full that theyll leave you behind even though their might be 10 open seats in first.
That sucks! sometimes being able to sit in first is the only way to get one flights these days, espacially florida.

tzsfo

Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:17 am

That's not what the policy is......we won't leave empty seats....I would assume that we will upgrade paying passengers (kind of a familiarization thing).

Think about the average passengers image of first class.....it is something reserved for the very rich and airline employees....this dispells that notion and gives the passengers that "special" feeling....

I only look for the no non-rev policy to last about a year or so....then it will be lifted...

TZ
It takes nerves of steel to stay neurotic. — Herb Kelleher

avt007

Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:20 am

Don't forget they could be talking about crew deadheading, an issue that apparently some pax get excited about. If they are talking nonrev, then thats an internal issue. My own opinion is, load the cons in the back and upgrade the paying pax. BTW, I've spent 10 years as a con (no longer) and now I'm a paying pax, so I see it from both ways.

WMUPilot

Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:21 am

Ok...how many of you have the facts? I'm guessing little to non of you. The company is working on a policy for future travel for employees in the business class. Up until 2 weeks ago we never had a business class and the only way was to fly in coach. Sure the announcement has made some employees mad but a majority aren't upset with the announcement. If this gets our brand recognition out and gets us the respect we deserve among the traveling public then i'm all for it. Not even the CEO can use the new business class. This shows that we truely love our passengers and want the to feel comfortable. So unless you work for ATA you have no right to gripe about the decision.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

ATA767

Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:44 pm

Wmupilot
Weither you work for ATA or not, the announcment is disrespectful. We are all humans and can have a reaction to policies even if there are business reasons. Imagine trying to reaccomidate 12 paying customers at boarding time, what will that do for on-time performance? All to snub your employees? I know for one that ATA's crews are pissed about the whole issue.

Midway2AirTran

Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:00 pm

"Ok...how many of you have the facts? I'm guessing little to non of you. The company is working on a policy for future travel for employees in the business class. Up until 2 weeks ago we never had a business class and the only way was to fly in coach. Sure the announcement has made some employees mad but a majority aren't upset with the announcement. If this gets our brand recognition out and gets us the respect we deserve among the traveling public then i'm all for it. Not even the CEO can use the new business class. This shows that we truely love our passengers and want the to feel comfortable. So unless you work for ATA you have no right to gripe about the decision."

Yea, its good that ATA is adding Business Class, especially following the success that LCC's AirTran and Spirit have already had with their Biz Class products. The problem is not the Non-Rev policy itself, that's fine, but the fact that it would be embarrassing for your own CEO to quote publicly (Keep it in the employee handbook, not public) that you and your fellow employees are an inconvenience in a Business Class cabin, damn! I feel offended and I am not even a ATA employee! As an Airline employee myself, I consider the comments in the release to be thoughtless and down right rude.

ifly2eat

Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:31 am

Well, I do work for ATA so I can gripe and I do know ALL the facts so here goes my griping. The idea itself is not flawed. I want paying passengers (who pay my bills) to ride in comfort and come back to fly us again and again. That being said, to actually put that in a press release is absolutely the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a press release. Upgrade paying passengers but do not go out and say "employees will not be allowed to fly in business class." Do it quietly and on the few occasions that there are left over seats after upgrading passengers put a non-rev up there but do it all quietly. By the way, except for pilots and flight attendants (who are under union contracts) ATA employees have been on a wage freeze since 9-11 and now this comes down the line. Not really a good way to say thanks to the people who sacrificed during hard economic times. Also, I am quite sure that when our flights require an IO (international relief officer) he/ she will be in business class. That is a union issue but I assure you, crew rest seats aren't normally in coach. ATA is a great company to work for and in my opinion to fly on, but this press release was a gigantic "opps" by someone in our marketing department.
Fly the friendly skys and stay out of mine.

Type-Rated

Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:58 am

... Not even the CEO can use the new business class.....

I'll believe that one when I see it!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

luv2fly

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:03 am

I agree that it does send a negative message to all the hard working and dedicated employees of TZ!
You can cut the irony with a knife

HNLFlyBoy

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:31 am

Does anyone have any cabin views of the new business class on TZ?

aa757first

Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:41 am

I hear that sitting next to a non-rev is second only to a free seat. From what I understand, they never pull out pictures of their grandchildren and force you to look at them.  Smile

AAndrew

jjbiv

Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:06 am

My opinion is that the idea was a good one -- until someone in P.R. got a little too excited at proving how "Honestly Different" an airline we are and tossed it in the press release. At the least, employees should have been forewarned that this was coming and prepared to see it before the public noticed it in the release.

Ifly2eat, might want to check your facts again; the pay freeze has been lifted for several months now.

The good thing about working for ATA is that when a misstep does occur, the company is quick to acknowledge such once brought to their attention. Also, it is comforting to know that management doesn't seek to run the company with an iron fist and screw employees as if it was an intramural sport. Sure, as everywhere, not so good things happen here, but they are almost always driven by the best of intentions, even if sometimes lacking in foresight or even intelligence.

ATA is like Avis: "we try harder."

joe

jetbluefan1

Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:03 am

I think that the policy is fine, but it shouldn't be put into a press release to the public. If I were an ATA crew member, then I'd be ticked. But I'm not, so I can't speak for them. I guess the ATA CEO has a different way of handling his staff than the JetBlue CEO - who actually respects his Crewmembers and only praises them.

JetBluefan1

DeltaMIA

Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:37 am

I don't understand the policy, but I don't work for ATA.
The decision is appalling to me as an airline employee. There is no reason that employees shouldn't be given first or business class. Every airline requires business casual dress attire for employees to ride in a premium cabin (some even require it for coach). Employees traveling on leisure don't stamp their forehead with a scarlet letter or anything so how does John Q. Public know that the person sitting next to him is an employee or Mrs. Public in coach know that an employee is sitting in first when she was trying to get more than she paid for.
Airlines should do their best to care for their employees; without the employees there isn't an airline. At Delta they are adamant about the concept "A Happy employee is a Happy passenger".
Why shouldn't an employee or family be given business/first on a space available basis? I can't think of any reasons.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

blink182

Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:52 am

What if the ATA Employee's spouse(who doesn't work for ATA) pays the airfare for first?

blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

jhooper

Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:52 am

Back several years ago, nonrevs were not allowed in First Class on international flights on DL.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

jhooper

Sun Feb 29, 2004 10:54 am

It looks like the press release has been removed.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Midway2AirTran

Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:58 am

Yep, it appears that the press release was removed today from the website. Unfortunately, hundreds of thousands of people have probably seen it. I would hope that the PR/Marketing dept. or whoever let that go, takes responsibility for their mistake.

ifly2eat

Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:42 pm

Hey Jjbiv,

Are you sure that ATA employees have had the pay freeze lifted or just Chicago Express employees. From your profile I see you're in TOL, that's a C8 station not a TZ station. A lot of the hard working, dedicated people I work with everyday in MDW are still griping about the pay freeze. I agree with you that at ATA we do try harder. That goes from the Captains on the Boeings to ground agents working the flights. I have had the pleasure of having lunch with George (ATA's founder and CEO) and I can tell you he does care about each and every employee and passenger at ATA, which is why it is so surprising to me how this idiot press release ever made it out to the public. I do believe that non-revs (scarlet letters and all) will be in business class when it finally makes its appearance.
Fly the friendly skys and stay out of mine.

FedExIndy

Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:01 pm

Speaking of ATA's pay freeze, they hosed everyone over really bad. Apparently, it lasted from 10/01 thru 10/03. If you worked during that time, you didn't get credit for any time during that period when figuring your wage. In a nutshell, had you started working there in 1995, you wouldn't reach the 10 year wage until after 12 years. Or someone hired in 11/01 and someone hired almost 2 years later in 9/03 would be on the exact pay scale.

flyinryan99

Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:47 pm

I just work here =) At first I was upset that they publicly announced it, but I understand where they were coming from...I still like using my airline as a back up instead of a first choice when non revving...allows me to keep my options open.

Ryan

WMUPilot

Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:08 am

Just as Flyingryan99 said, I too was angered by the announcement that was made to the public about it. It should have been an internal matter. It will be solved. As soon as Georgie Boy decides that he wants to sit in Business class and not in Coach, we will all be up there. Now I really don't care either way. I usually can never non-rev out of GRR anyways on my own airline, I usually end up taking USAirways or American, because our flights out of GRR are so full.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

travatl

Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:21 am

Internal matter or not, this policy is a poor one. Have I ever worked for ATA, no. But I have worked for commercial airlines since I was 18.

I was so surprised by this announcement that I sent an email to ATA regarding this policy. Their PR department responded stating they "are very excited about rolling out this new product, but understand there are hurdles to overcome". I hope this means they are reconsidering it (the policy not the business class cabin).

The policy is hurtful to it's employees in that it goes against the entire industry standard. In fact, ATA employees traveling non-rev on OTHER AIRLINES are very likely to be placed in that airline's first/business class cabin, but could not sit in their own? JC!

Additionally, how do you justify this policy to a pilot or flight attendant?

As a flight attendant, you can serve the passengers that sit in these seats, but you are NEVER EVER EVER to occupy one yourself.

As a captain you can be ultimately responsible for the safety and well being of the passengers on your ship, but BY GOD, your skill and contribution do not warrant a premium seat....

That is ludicrous!!!!!

AirTran actually tried something similar (albeit even more segregatory than this policy), but it didn't last long, and was quickly withdrawn. It soured relations between senior management and the line employees for some time.

I don't understand how, in an industry that is rife with poor labor relations (and I don't care how great they are at ATA), why an airline's management team would introduce a policy that so clearly devalues it's employees. These people traveling on a space available basis wouldn't be taking seats away from revenue pax to begin with. They could even institute a policy that requires an additional charge for the premium cabin for employees (although LCCs AirTran and America West both got rid of their's).

If I were an ATA employee, I would be MAD AS HELL. As an industry employee, I find it disgusting....

Travis

heisan67

Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:10 am

But if you are flying stand by as an employee and the economy class is full....the best thing for the passengers would be to up-grade some in the economy class and then give the economy seats to the stand by employees. Passengers would be happy...and the employees might not be so happy they used to be, but they'll get to their destiantion anyway!!

tzfalax

Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:54 am

As an ATA employee, I was very angered with the fact that this statement was issued pubically on our website as well as in USA Today. I emailed corporate but got no response even though I did request one...but as with typical ATA management, got no reply. As a front line employee, I will serve, pamper and protect those sitting in business class but look forward to the opportunity to send members on our senior management to the back of the airplane. The press release was tacky, tasteless and uncalled for....but again typical for some of the select few that occupy management positions in IND. ATA is an honestly different airline, but its the front liners, like myself, that make it that. Those in IND that occupy the palace have no clue.

jaysit

Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:41 am

Shouldn't a seat worth several thousands of dollars be reserved for those PAYING for it?

Makes perfect sense to me.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

717-200
Topic Author

Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:18 pm

Jaysit,

I do not belive that a biz class seat on ATA will be worth several thousands of
dollars. We're talking an LCC here!
72S 733 734 735 73G 738 742 752 763 E190 M82 M83

tzfalax

Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:56 am

Jaysit, again, as an ATA employee, I agree with you. Save the biz class seats that are worth up to $399 for paying passengers. My checkbook will thank them over and over. The argument here is the company publicly excluding its employees from the biz seats. Do you honestly think our CEO would sit in coach if a biz seat is available? Oh, wait, he can take his company funded learjet to FLL to board his company funded yacht staffed with a crew that occupies ATA's payroll. The whole point is that the employee moral took another huge blow and no one in IND seems to care.

MSYtristar

Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:48 am

When I joined Vanguard in May 2001, we were just starting our "SkyBox Business Class" service on the MD-80/87's that we were just receiving. I remember quite fondly that for the first four months or so, employees could not fly up there at all. Once the new service started generating public interest, employees were allowed to fly up there, for a nominal fee: $25 per segment. It was a great deal. Revenue passengers could upgrade for $50 per segment. I flew up front several times, from MCI to LAS/SFO/DEN.

I have a feeling ATA will implement a similar policy. I will say that announcing in the corporate press release that employee's will not be able to use the business class cabin is a fairly low tactic. Not the best way to boost morale if you ask me.

Steve/NewOrleans

md80spirit

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:40 pm

Spirt is free is coach and only $25 for spirit plus(biz class). If the seat is gonna go out empty, at least get 25$ from the employee's. Charge the non-revs at ATA what you would charge full fare ( i.e 40$) to upgrade. But once that aircraft door is closed, & a pax has to be moved due to weight & balance, I know who I will pick to move up. (show those crew tags)

kevin752

Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:48 pm

I agree with most of the people that say that this press release IS VERY DISRESPECTFUL!!! I feel that the airline does not value thier flight attendants at all. If I worked for ATA I would be really upset with upper management. I could not believe that the airline would say something about thier own emlployees like this.
"Keep Climbing"

jcs17

Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:17 pm

If I was an ATA employee, I'd be pretty pissed off. If space is availible, there is no reason why an employee should not be able to sit up front. That being said, I'm not too sure that press release wasn't just a hoax.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

asuflyer05

Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:29 pm

I think we are jumping the gun here. We need to see what ATA's policy on it's business class will be. Will they be providing free upgrades to frequent flyers and/or full-fare coach passengers?

Personally I think not allowing non-revs to fly business class is a good idea. They should give upgrades to paying pax in order of fare paid before they allow non-revs to sit up front.

And this comes from someone who has worked in the travel industry. I know employee morale can be very low especially at airlines. But nothing is more frustrating than paying full-fare coach or even a high end coach fare and having somone flying for free get upgraded over me.

Just my $.02

Matt

Midway2AirTran

Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:47 pm

Topic is not the policy itself, though that could be debated too as well. The topic is the fact that this was released publicly, tarnishing the moral and professionalism of ATA employees, not to say other Airline employees like myself. Any word of an internal apology to ATA employees from management for the release?

tzfalax

Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:01 am

The officers sent out a statement basically telling us to shut up and deal with it.

tzsfo

Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:03 am

TZFALAX - The officers did not send out a message telling you "to shut up and deal with it". They sent out a message saying that it was important to spread the word and generate buzz about this new product.

Non-revs will not be left at the gate - we will upgrade travel awards members to free up coach seats for non-revs. The goal of these initial free upgrades is to get the passengers to experience the product.

I think this is a great policy. Get the paying passengers to sit up front and maybe the next time they fly they will kick out the extra $100 and all our jobs are more secure.

Like I said in my earlier post - I don't think this policy will last forever. It will be a break-in period thing. Then the free upgrades will stop - and if a seat is going to fly empty a non-rev will be welcome to it (although I would expect to see a service charge)

I think the general employee population is getting a little to emotionally involved in the whole deal. This is a business we are running and the people who sit in IND do make good decisions. I mean we are still here flying airplanes while alot of our industry brethren are out of work. Lets be thankful for what we have instead of getting mad about what we don't.....

My $0.02....

TZSFO
It takes nerves of steel to stay neurotic. — Herb Kelleher

luv2fly

Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:10 am

TZSFO

The original Midway use to charge non revs a service charge for there business class product, it was like only $25.00 and was a good deal, and made the difference between flying on the flight or standing at the window and watching the plane leave with out me.
You can cut the irony with a knife

ushermittwoch

Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:16 am

I would think that ANY airline prefers its customers to fill up the premium seats on their flights. After all THEY are the one that keep the money coming into the company. And in this case, well ATA didn't have that class of service before, why should the employees feel any worse than before?
Just because they don't the extra icing on the cake? It's not as if non-reving wasn't enough of a priviledge in the first place. But I guess it's like it is always, the more you have the more you want and expect...

Just my two (Euro) cents.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

PA110

Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:46 am

Most flights I have taken recently, the number of frequent fliers eligible to upgrade have greatly exceeded the number of available seats in the premium cabin(s). I think that this would have taken care of itself, and ATA shouldn't have made the policy public. There is absolutely no reason to antagonize or alienate your staff. It was just a foolish move by an overeager marketing team.
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

FlyGuyClt

Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:46 am

It is obvious. The founder of ATA is a Republican. The haves and the have nots have been now established at ATA. I'll bet he will fly up front.

Safe Flying  Smile

PS. Just a little mid day humor.
Florida Express, Braniff II and ......

flpuck6

Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:11 am

On my airline, we are also worth only Y class.

But things can change once the doors are closed ...chutttttt.
Bonjour Chef!

tzfalax

Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:52 am

TZSFO, I don't care where I sit. I don't even non-rev on ATA. As a non-rev, I'm treated better at other carriers (WN, B6 and AS). Again, my point, as with many others is the press release being an embarrassment to the employee group. I'm all for the biz seats being for paying passengers. But, to quote the statement from the officers:

"We put the business- class seating on the aircraft for one reason and one reason only: our customers.

Internally, the project has received mixed reviews. While most agree this is a good decision for the company, some feel that our policy regarding employee access to business class is everything from unenlightened to cruel punishment. Arguing in the face of those accusations is pointless, so let us try to address what we think are the real concerns."

I don't consider this "cruel punishment" but the entire situation and decision to word the release as it was tacky, tasteless and uncalled for. But, don't argue because its pointless. Real concerns? Ok, I get that one. Customers, Customers, Customers. Lets keep them happy. They pay our bills. But it's also possible to keep your employees somewhat happy as well. Happy employees make Happy customers. Happy customers come back.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos