Bruspotter

Sabena's A340's

Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:40 pm

What became of the old Sabena's A340's? Where did they end up?
I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.

andrej

RE: Sabena's A340's

Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:18 pm

Hello,

I know that two -311 found new home with LH. For how long, I do not know. Let's hope for years.  Laugh out loud

Cheers,
Andrej

brubiac

Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:47 pm

OO-SCW and OO-SCX the 2 A340-200 are now flying with Royal Jordanian

OO-SCY and OO-SCZ the 2 A340-300 are now flying with lufthansa
BRU a small airport in a big world.

SN-A330

Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:28 pm

thanks for the info Brubiac !

Regards, SN-A330
I would rather be flying...

andrej

Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:01 am

Hello,

when I think of it. Did not SABENA ordered -313X as well, but never recieved them?

They started to fly with CANADA3000, but than were transefered to Air Tahitti Nui.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,

Andrej

brubiac

Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:40 am

Hello Andrej,

that's wright they ordered the A340-300X the replace the 4 other A340's. The registrations normally would have been:
OO-SQA
OO-SQB
OO-SQC
OO-SQD

More info about the other:

OO-SCW ----> F-OHLQ

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Felix Sieder

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Taperell - AirTeamImages

OO-SCX ----> F-OHLP

View Large View Medium

Photo © Miguel Snoep

View Large View Medium

Photo © Art Brett - AirTeamImages

OO-SCY ----> D-AIMF

View Large View Medium

Photo © Remi Dallot

View Large View Medium

Photo © Konstantin von Wedelstaedt

OO-SCZ ----> D-AIMG

View Large View Medium

Photo © Staffan Hardie

View Large View Medium

Photo © James Richard Covington, Jr

BRU a small airport in a big world.

Sabena 690

Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:58 am

This is a summary of all the info of Brubiac, inclusive some additions (acquisitions that were never taken up).

x c/n10 OO-SLF A340-211: not taken up, to F-GNIA AF, crashed at CDG, written off

x c/n14 OO-SCW A340-211: to RJ as F-OHLP (will be converted to A340-212 within about 6 months). This aircraft was also used by AF/LH/AOM, and was due to be reregistered as OO-CTE, but this registration was not taken up.

x c/n22 OO-SCX A340-211: to RJ as F-OHLQ (will be converted to A340-212 within about 6 months). For the rest, same situation as above: after being used by AF/LH/AOM, the frame was going to be registered as OO-SCF, but this reg was not taken up

x c/n36 F-OHPZ A340-312: was going to be leased from Airbus Industry as OO-CTU, but was never taken up. The aircraft was destroyed due to the Tamill Rebels (hope I write it without mistakes) at Colombo, while flying for Srilankan Airlines

x c/n47 OO-SCY A340-311: D-AIMD with LH. My info is quite complicated about this one, please correct me if I'm wrong: the aircraft was (as an A340-311C, later converted to A340-311) first registered for Sabena as OO-AF (SLI / KSLI), USA - California">SLI (after OO-CTU was not taken up). Later it went to AF as F-GNID, and then again to Sabena as OO-SCY followed by F-WQRH during storage. Now D-AIMD with LH.

x c/n51 OO-SCZ (the aircraft that operated Sabena 690) A340-311: D-AIME with LH. Same story as c/n47: not taken up as OO-SCH after getting OO-SLJ as registration. Went to AF as F-GNIE, back to Sabena as OO-SCZ, then to Airbus as F-WQRI, now with LH as D-AIME.

Than we have the four A340-313X which were ordered but never taken up:

x OO-SQA c/n385, now F-OJGF with Air Tahiti Nui

x OO-SQB c/n395, now F-OJTN with Air Tahiti Nui

x OO-SQC did not get a c/n assigned

x OO-SQD did not get a c/n assigned

Hope it's a bit clear! Big grin Quite a complicated story...

Frederic

Scorpio

Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:38 am

Some corrections to Frederic's post:

c/n10 OO-SLF A340-211: not taken up, to F-GNIA AF, crashed at CDG, written off

F-GNIA did not crash. It was written off after a ground fire, after just having received some maintenance.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Remi Dallot

c/n14 OO-SCW A340-211: to RJ as F-OHLP (will be converted to A340-212 within about 6 months). This aircraft was also used by AF/LH/AOM, and was due to be reregistered as OO-CTE, but this registration was not taken up.

To my knowledge, SN's A340-200s were never used by AOM. AOM did use two other A340-200s (F-GLZE and F-GLZF), which came directly from Air France, and, incidentally, now also fly with Royal Jordanian. But I'm not 100% sure about this one.

c/n36 F-OHPZ A340-312: was going to be leased from Airbus Industry as OO-CTU, but was never taken up.

F-OHPZ operated for SN for a few months, as a replacement for OO-SCW, while it was being repaired after the landing mishap. The plane originally operated for Gulf Air, and had been slated for delivery to Ethiopean. At the last moment, the deal broke off. The plane had even already been painted in Ethiopean colors when it entered service with SN.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Jongeneelen

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Jongeneelen

The A340-313X which were to become OO-SQC and SQD are, if I'm correct, the other two A340-313X currently operating for Air Tahiti Nui.

B747-437B

Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:43 am

I flew D-AIMG (former OO-SCZ) last week on the YYZ-FRA route with Lufthansa. The plane is in a very sorry state and you can see her age showing. The crappy plastic seat pockets are broken, the lavatories have leaks around the sinks, and so many other obvious features of planes that are in desperate need of some interior revamp.

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © AAA Sean Mendis

"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Sabena 690

Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:05 am

The A340-313X which were to become OO-SQC and SQD are, if I'm correct, the other two A340-313X currently operating for Air Tahiti Nui.

We will never know, since there was never a c/n assigned to those birds.

You are right about the A342: it was written off, and I remembered a picture of the plane after it was totally destroyed. Now you say it, it was indeed a ground fire.

About AOM and Sabena: I stand correct that AOM was not taken up by AOM, but OO-SCX should has (following my maybe incorrect info) flown for AOM under SN registration.

Frderic

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos