chris78cpr

Will I Get An Upgrade To Business On CO LGW-EWR?

Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:55 am

I am travelling this route on friday and am hoping to score an upgrade, anyone got any tips or advice??? HAs anyone got lucky on this route before???

Any info wud be cool, cheers!!!

Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

Shamrock_747

RE: Will I Get An Upgrade To Business On CO LGW-EWR?

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:01 am

Hiya Chris,

I did a work placement at CO LGW check-in/ops a couple of months ago. No upgrades are given unless coach is overbooked. If it is then OnePass Elite members will be upgraded first followed by full fare coach pax, so if you are on a cheap ticket then unfortunately your chances are about zero. CO coach is pretty good though!  Smile

squad55

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:01 am

Nope.. you have a better chance getting the jumpseat. Expect to be bashed on this one, this question has been asked over and over and OVEr again.

B747-437B

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:12 am

Don't listen to what these people tell you. They are just upset that they had to ride in Economy class.

Airlines have a secret code word that you can tell checkin staff that authorizes them to upgrade you to Business Class when you checkin. These change on a weekly basis, but you can usually buy the current week's codeword on Ebay.

Lucky for you, this week's codeword (valid till Saturday) is "Hijack". Make sure you mention that either to the checkin agent or to the Flight Attendant on board and they will ensure that you get special treatment.  Big grin
"The A340-300 may boast a long range, but the A340 is underpowered" -- Robert Milton, CEO - Air Canada

Alpha 1

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:12 am

Sean, that's one of the funniest things I've ever read on Anet!

Classic!  Big thumbs up

ConcordeBoy

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:14 am

Sean, that's horrible... and quite possibly the funniest post ever made here! Big grin Big grin Big grin

...and Chris78, you dont have a snowballs chance in a heat-waved mid-summer Hell.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

Alpha 1

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:25 am

The only way you'll get an upgrade is to shell out the difference between your fare and the B-First fare. Or, take Sean's advice.  Big grin

SJU767

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:26 am

Absolutely not. CO will never upg pax to J. An in the extreme case they have to it will be done as shamrock 747 explained. And than almost never happens

Sabena332

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:31 am

Lucky for you, this week's codeword (valid till Saturday) is "Hijack". Make sure you mention that either to the checkin agent or to the Flight Attendant on board and they will ensure that you get special treatment.

Thanks for posting the secret codeword of this week, of course I will tell it to everyone on my LH flight tomorrow  Big thumbs up  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

NIKV69

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:34 am

Are you kidding? Gordon Bethune himself will be there to personally upgrade you and show you to your seat. He is very hands on.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

From WORST TO FIRST!!
Hey that guy with the private jet can bail us out! Why? HE CAN AFFORD IT!

cadet93

Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:36 am

If you are ELITE, AND coach is over sold, AND if you have a higher paid fare then the other elites, Well then you may just be able to step up to the comfy Business First compartment. Otherwise, enjoy the butt crunching coach seat. Elite upgrade is done on the fare paid now. I was on an AMS to EWR flight. I am silver and my partner is platinum. The gentleman sitting next to us was also silver. His company bought the ticket and he paid almost full fare, but not quite. He was upgraded ahead of a platinum flyer. So it is all about the MONEY now.

dutchjet

Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:24 am

Everyone has a different experience.........as a CO Platinum Elite, I have been upgraded a few times on trans-atlantic services, but as mentoned, only when there is an overbooking situation or aircraft swap, or something unexpected.

On the few occassions that the upgrade has happened, as a Platinum, I was first on the list to upgrade (all occassions the only platinum on board), and was upgraded first even though I was travelling on Q or V class (ie, cheap) tickets.

SafetyDude

Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:17 am

I know some people who were upgraded on that route a while ago, but coach was oversold and they were high in the FF list.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

artsyman

Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:32 am

Sean,
I am in the presidents club at IAH at the moment and just fell off my chair. It is the funniest thing I have read on here yet...

Well done

J

JOSEMEX

Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:59 am

The only time I've been offered an upgrade to BF at the gate was on a MAD-EWR flight last year (unfortunately, I was already traveling on a mileage upgrade). The funny thing is, they had no idea of knowing if I was an elite, or what type of fare I was travelling on, as they didn't check my boarding pass when they asked me. I arrived at the gate very early, I was just sitting there and then one of the CSR's came up and asked me if I wanted to upgrade to BF as coach was overbooked. Maybe the fact that I was travelling alone, and somewhat well dressed made them choose me, but when they asked me they didn't even know what type of fare I was travelling on.

ramerinianair

RE: Will I Get An Upgrade To Business On CO LGW-EW

Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:10 am

From my experience, CO has upgraded people on overbooked flights that weren't of elite status. I ws flying Biz/First from IAH-OGG and the flight was grossly overbooked in July. They had 2 open seats in the 30 seat 1st/biz cabin so they upgraded a man and his brother-in-law. The wives stayed in the back with the kids. I believe that the one man was upgraded and instead of taking his wife he took his brother-in-law. Maybe they were traveling on a full fare and that's why he was choosen but I asked and he said that he was not of elite status.
Good Luck,
-S.R.
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

gkirk

Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:30 pm

If you want to fly in Business, pay a business fare  Big grin
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!